Preview Fremantle vs Essendon, Perth Stadium, Saturday 31/03/18 @ 7:40 PM

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Fremantle: Had a tough opening round against a strong Port Adelaide side, going down by 50 points, in what seemed like a lacklustre effort throughout. Lachie Neale was impressive in the middle, collecting 38 touches whilst Aaron Sandilands dominated the taps with 52, although the second half he was against Westhoff and Dixon.

Essendon: An amazing come from behind win against last year's grand finalists Adelaide, trailing by 20 at Three Quarter Time, the Dons hit back and scored a 6 goal to one final quarter. Captain Dyson Heppell and David Zaharakis starred with 35 touches apiece whilst Cale Hooker and James Stewart kicked 3 goals each.

Head to Head (last 5)

Fremantle 4-1 Essendon

Form Guide

Fremantle: 0W 1L
Essendon: 1W 0L

Sportsbet odds

Fremantle: $2.12
Essendon: $1.73
Line: 4.5 ($1.92)

Possible sides

Fremantle vs Essendon

B: Brown- Hartley - Dea
F: Taberner - McCarthy - Matera
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Saad
HF: Langdon - Kersten - Ballantyne
C: Parish - Stringer - Z Merrett
C: Walters - Neale - B Hill
HF: McDonald-Tipungwuti - Daniher - Langford
HB: Wilson- A Pearce - Tucker
F: Stewart - Hooker - Green
B: Johnson - Hamling - Ryan
R: Bellchambers - Goddard - Heppell
R: Sandilands - Fyfe - Mundy
I: McGrath - Myers - D Smith - Zaharakis
I: Blakely - Sutcliffe - Brayshaw - Banfield

Fremantle defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line was the highlight of the 2017 season, finishing 3rd in terms of overall goals/inside 50 ratio behind the two teams in Adelaide, with an efficiency rating of 28%. Fremantle's defence was extremely loose as well, their opponents kicking a goal 28% of the time it entered defensive 50 as well. The return of Alex Pearce is a promising one, the man is uniquely suited to playing on Joe Daniher being an athletic 2 metre player, but after spending a significant amount of time off the field it will be a tough assignment for him. Joel Hamling will likely be opposed to Cale Hooker, a tough match up after Hooker kicked 40+ goals last season as a secondary forward. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Orazio Fantasia will be hoping to get on top of the impressive Luke Ryan and Darcy Tucker as the leading small defenders.

Midfield/rucks battle

Given the stats last year at either end, this is where Fremantle really need to assert its authority over Essendon. Fremantle were superior to Essendon in terms of clearance differential, last year, but Essendon were ahead in contested possession differential, showing that outside of a stoppage situation that Essendon were stronger. Fremantle's starting 5 midfielders of Nathan Fyfe, David Mundy, Lachie Neale, Brad Hill and Michael Walters is as good as any going around but right now their depth isn't there, but Essendon's outside game is one of the best in the league with the likes of Zach Merrett, David Zaharakis, Brendan Goddard, Devon Smith and Darcy Parish running through the middle. If Essendon is able to break even on the inside they should be able to get over the top of Fremantle. In terms of the ruck battle, Aaron Sandilands is still dominating at the stoppage but Tom Bellchambers seems to be getting back to his best around the ground. Will be an interesting one to watch.

Fremantle forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence had an enjoyable 2017 for the most part despite being under extreme pressure most weeks, they had a very high defensive efficiency rating of 23% in the last season. Fremantle were on the opposite end of the scale with their forward line, being second last in forward efficiency, averaging a goal only 22% of the time it entered forward 50. Freo's big hope inside 50 will be Cameron McCarthy, who will have a tough challenge against Michael Hurley, and Matt Taberner will look to get on top of Michael Hartley again after lowering the Bomber's colours the last time the two sides met. Brandon Matera and Hayden Ballantyne are the main smalls for the Dockers, and will need to be at their best against a likely match up against Ben McNiece, who impressed in pre-season, and Adam Saad.

X-Factor Player

Brandon Matera is the shiny new play thing for the Dockers, adding some speed to the Dockers forward line. The former Sun will likely get the #2 defender from the dons, which may well be his former team mate Adam Saad.

Key stat

Fremantle: Clearances. Absolutely must win if they're to get enough ball inside 50 to put enough pressure on the Essendon defence.

Essendon: Forward efficiency. If the midfield breaks even there's a big chance of punishing an underwhelming Docker defence.

Tip

Essendon should win this, but that's not the Essendon we know (and somewhat love). Still, I think they're better than Freo and should have a comfortable 33 point win

Last edited:
That’s nice and early. It’s ok I’ve written off tonight’s game too.
I needed to get it done now otherwise I wouldn't be able to get it up until 3 PM tomorrow at the earliest, have a footy praccy match tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see if our Perth jitters continue at the new stadium. What is the oval comparable too? Is it the same as Subi?

Will be interesting to see if our Perth jitters continue at the new stadium. What is the oval comparable too? Is it the same as Subi?
MCG

After last week's get out of jail win, we need to win this one to develop a bit of momentum, this is the kind of game that we might look back on in three months and say that was either a costly loss or the day we took ourselves to the next level but I would expect Freo to respond after today's lifeless effort against Port.

I know there was some discussion during the planning stages as to whether they should move to the MCG size or keep the same size as they had, I think they may lose a bit from not going for the longer ground which was part of the reason why it was so hard to win in Perth.
They'll gain more because it will help them win more games in Melbourne.

This game is particularly fascinating.

I believe our list is significantly in front of the Dockers at the moment... but the uncertainty surrounding the new stadium, Freo’s first home game of the year and our underwhelming recent record on the road (2-5 last year) make this full of question marks.

Had the game been played in Melbourne I would’ve anticipated a similar game to our one against the Dockers last year (a struggle but a medium sized victory in the end). At Optus Stadium? Who knows.

I really rate their midfield (shocked at the outside criticism it receives) so we will need to at least break even here. Hopefully Merrett can return and play a full four quarters this week! However this could be the sort of game where we really feel the absence of both Fantasia & Colyer.

One of our more important games this season, even this early on.

This game is particularly fascinating.

I believe our list is significantly in front of the Dockers at the moment... but the uncertainty surrounding the new stadium, Freo’s first home game of the year and our underwhelming recent record on the road (2-5 last year) make this full of question marks.

Had the game been played in Melbourne I would’ve anticipated a similar game to our one against the Dockers last year (a struggle but a medium sized victory in the end). At Optus Stadium? Who knows.

I really rate their midfield (shocked at the outside criticism it receives) so we will need to at least break even here. Hopefully Merrett can return and play a full four quarters this week! However this could be the sort of game where we really feel the absence of both Fantasia & Colyer.

One of our more important games this season, even this early on.
Who are you and what have you done to Macca18?

This is probably the bigger test for us than Adelaide. These are the games that we always tend to drop. High adrenaline win the week before against a good side, then a terrible loss the following week.

I think we certainly have the advantage, especially our bookends. Fremantle's midfield is still pretty good when it clicks, so we can't allow them to have first hand on the ball the whole time. Need to compete like we did against Adelaide.

Port killed them with their run and that's our strength.

I think Freo will take it up to us for 3 quarters, but we'll run over the top of them in the last quarter. I'd be really worried if this game was at Subiaco, but I'm probably more comfortable since Fremantle don't have any experience at Optus Stadium as well.

Essendon by 25.

Is Fantasia ready to come in? We're really missing his goal sense and efficiency. If he is, then I'd put him in for Green

Hopefully Merrett will be right to go as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They struggle to get the ball into the forward line, Essendon's big strength is scoring from the back half. To me that's a bit of a mismatch. However, their mids should smash us. Fyfe always has blinders against us. They have real ball winners.

They struggle to get the ball into the forward line, Essendon's big strength is scoring from the back half. To me that's a bit of a mismatch. However, their mids should smash us. Fyfe always has blinders against us. They have real ball winners.
Yeah. And their inability to score goes away when they play us for some reason. Kicked 110+ and 90+ against us last year.

Its going to be pretty warm on Saturday, 31 which will be a test. Freo had a game in that sort of heat yesterday - hopefully that has drained them rather than conditioned them.

Wonder if Goddard will miss the trip to Perth like other veterans have in years gone by? When being interviewed he said he was off to cathedral to play golf, but then remembered he was travelling to Perth so it was next week he is playing golf. Would prefer him to play, and you’d think it is too early in the season to be scheduling a rest - but those sports science guys!

Its going to be pretty warm on Saturday, 31 which will be a test. Freo had a game in that sort of heat yesterday - hopefully that has drained them rather than conditioned them.

Thankfully it’s a ‘twilight’ game (5:10pm start Perth time) which will hopefully assist the heat situation.

I know we’ve played mid-afternoon games there early in the season in the recent past and it’s been extremely warm... which has also been a factor in recovery for our following game back in Victoria.

I felt like there were many times vs Adelaide where we couldn't get that run from defence. Having both Dea and Brown, meant that Saad was playing lockdown on Betts. I would bring in McNiece or Bagular for one of these two, to free up Saad.

Perfect footy weather here for Saturday night. Nice 30 degree day and cooling off at night. They have said that Optus stadium is the same type of surface as Etihad. If we can execute our skills I think we can destroy freo. now I just need to organise getting out of work early Saturday and get a ticket for the game.

Perfect footy weather here for Saturday night. Nice 30 degree day and cooling off at night. They have said that Optus stadium is the same type of surface as Etihad. If we can execute our skills I think we can destroy freo. now I just need to organise getting out of work early Saturday and get a ticket for the game.

Simialr ground size to Eithad too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back