Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that Eagles poached our 2 rucks, and then signed the Subi ruck who won the joint b'n'f with Miller, what are they going to do with them all? haha

Interesting that Eagles poached our 2 rucks, and then signed the Subi ruck who won the joint b'n'f with Miller, what are they going to do with them all? haha
Smash Freo as they hit it down to Hooker and Gibson to carve us up. 😡

But I’d find it a little amusing if Laurie and/or Janz are on the outer if the Subi girl becomes their 1st ruck.

The teams that had a decent ruck setup had a huge advantage, picking up the others so nobody has them could be a hugely smart move
Likely right. But I bet the two girls who don't get a run because they've stockpiled rucks won't be thinking it's such a smart move to have moved across. Although they'll probably use Laurie at CHB. We saw last year she's too short to ruck, but is decent once the ball hits the deck. I reckon she'd be a decent KPP.

Smash Freo as they hit it down to Hooker and Gibson to carve us up. 😡

But I’d find it a little amusing if Laurie and/or Janz are on the outer if the Subi girl becomes their 1st ruck.
I'm pretty sure one of our Irish recruits, Aine Tighe (185cm) will be a ruck. And I'd be shocked if we didn't draft Mim Strom (184cm Swan Districts ruck - Noah and Zach's sister). Both Houghton and Antonio can pinch hit as well with the added bonus of incredible athleticism.

I'm assuming we'll use our first draft pick on talented Roxanne Roux (key forward from EF) who seems the ideal player to play alongside Houghton and perhaps Kate Flood (the other Irish recruit who I assume will be a forward). That should provide plenty of flexibility for Antonio - who can play back, ruck or forward. Antonio as a ruck would be like an extra midfielder - similar to Laurie but more talented. With Williams recovering we might need to use her in defence though. Mia-Rae Clifford (from Collingwood AFLW) adds to our defender options and we might pick up Kimberley Bowey as well to play alongside Bresland and is another pinch hitting ruck option - although WC would definitely have their eye on her as well (and may grab her with their first pick).

Despite losing a bunch of players to WC I think we're in a great position having filled many of the holes already and could very well have an even better list entering 2020. Excited about Lindhal Rohde on the wing (feels like getting back Lisa Webb from 2018) and we still have plenty of speed options with Sharp, Miller, Cain etc. We lost Hooker but we should have a healthy Miller and Donnellan next season (who both had injuries/niggles this year so didn't hit their straps). Those two playing alongside Bowers in the centre is a pretty formidable threesome. So many of our next tier also stepped up in the WAFLW this year - O'Sullivan, Gooch, Stannett, Seth, Pugh and Mascall all spent lots of time in the midfield and often smashed it - that confidence should carry across to whichever position we play them in. Gooch looked amazing in the WAFLW GF - such a great player and leader. I'm also expecting either or both Sargeant and Stewart to break out (like Duffy did) next year and put their hands up to be next in line in the middle and on the wing. And we have Jayne-Grieve in the midfield mix as well.

Other than Hooker, the only other quality players we lost are Gibson and Atkins really. But we've added Flood, will almost certainly add Roux and probably Tarnee Tester (Freo academy small forward who kicked the most goals in the WAFLW this year - including bags of 6, 4 and 4). They will all add some speed class and athleticism alongside Houghton, Sharp, Duffy and O'Sullivan. On paper that still looks like an incredible forward line and that's without Antonio in it.

Imahra Cameron is another player I hope we pick up in the draft. Watched her in a game earlier in the year and she was phenomenally skilled. Just carved up the opposition. Suspect she has consistency and maybe fitness issues but also think she seems the kind of player that might flourish in the more elite AFLW competition if she is committed. Small defender Jessica Low (joint WAFLW winner of Rookie of the Year with Rohde) will certainly be drafted as well. There are quite a few other names (mostly talented u18s) but a lot of them are tiny and will take a fair bit of time before ready for AFLW.

Abbey Holmes (formerly of Adelaide and Survivor contestant) has nominated for the Western Australian draft. West Coast will almost certainly pick her up though as her partner is WC rookie Keegan Brooksby.

Ideal Draft (will be held 22 October)

#12 - Roxanne Roux (East Freo)
(#19 WC pick Kimberley Bowey - East Freo)
#21 - Mim Strom (Swan Districts)
#35 - Imahra Cameron (Swan Districts)
(#39 WC pick Abbey Holmes - Survivor lol!)
#51 - Tarnee Tester (Subiaco)
(#56 WC pick ?)
#66 - Jessica Low (Claremont)
(#70 WC pick ?)
#81 - ?
#86 - ?

2020 Best Team

B Seth ~ Bresland
HB Stannett ~ Antonio ~ Gooch
C Rohde ~ Donnellan ~ Cain
R Strom* ~ Miller ~ Bowers
HF Sharp ~ Houghton ~ O'Sullivan
F Duffy ~ Roux*

INT/EMG Sargeant / Tighe / Flood / Clifford / Grieve / Pugh / Mascall / Stewart / Cameron* / Tester * / Low* / ?...
INJ Williams

Abbey Holmes is a bloody good media commentator - was she injured last year? I don't think she played last year, did she? I see no reason why Freo couldn't pick her up, even though her partner is with WC. If she wants to be in WA to be close to him, then it doesn't really matter where she plays. Mia-Rae Clifford's partner plays for Melbourne, while she played for Collingwood. (Are they still together - she and Penny Cula-Reid? Probably not if they are playing their footy in different states, although they were planning on getting married).

Anyway - that's all digression. Thank you wayToGo_ , that's an awesomely comprehensive analysis of our potential team this coming season. It was a great read, and certainly puts the loss of our two rucks plus Hooker, Gibson and Atkins a lot more in perspective. Although, truth be told, I'd love to see Hooker and Gibson still in purple next year, but it looks like we should have them just about covered. :)

Cheers and thanks for the write up! :thumbsu:

Abbey Holmes is a bloody good media commentator - was she injured last year? I don't think she played last year, did she? I see no reason why Freo couldn't pick her up, even though her partner is with WC. If she wants to be in WA to be close to him, then it doesn't really matter where she plays. Mia-Rae Clifford's partner plays for Melbourne, while she played for Collingwood. (Are they still together - she and Penny Cula-Reid? Probably not if they are playing their footy in different states, although they were planning on getting married).
Think Holmes was (and still is by some) incredibly overrated (probably because of the considerable media exposure she got). Houghton and Antonio miles ahead of her and will not be surprised if Roux shows more in just her first AFLW season. Certainly don't think we need her but if we force WC to take her with an early pick so we can take other prospects that fit other needs we have that'd be perfect.

I meant to put Geelong for Clifford (not Collingwood). She was delisted by Melbourne in 2017, Geelong grabbed her but then delisted by them this year so Freo was an opportunity for her to keep playing so she grabbed it. Not sure of her relationship anymore (don't get the sense they are still together) but Penny is a coach at Collingwood now - for their VFLW team (not playing). I think Mia-Rae will be hungry to prove herself and probably fits our style of play quite well. Having both her and Gooch in the back line could be very interesting.

Think Holmes was (and still is by some) incredibly overrated (probably because of the considerable media exposure she got). Houghton and Antonio miles ahead of her and will not be surprised if Roux shows more in just her first AFLW season. Certainly don't think we need her but if we force WC to take her with an early pick so we can take other prospects that fit other needs we have that'd be perfect.

I meant to put Geelong for Clifford (not Collingwood). She was delisted by Melbourne in 2017, Geelong grabbed her but then delisted by them this year so Freo was an opportunity for her to keep playing so she grabbed it. Not sure of her relationship anymore (don't get the sense they are still together) but Penny is a coach at Collingwood now - for their VFLW team (not playing). I think Mia-Rae will be hungry to prove herself and probably fits our style of play quite well. Having both her and Gooch in the back line could be very interesting.

Fair enough on Abbey Holmes. I think she's a very articulate and knowledgeable commentator, and could probably have a decent career in that role. Just comparing her to former AFLW players, she leaves Daisy Pearce well in her wake, and is better than a fair whack of the ex-male players in the media too. Sounds like she'd be a better fit at WC then if the boyfie plays there and she's not that good a player, leaving us another draft pick to use on new talent... :D

Seems like I got the Vic teams all mixed up. I thought Clifford had been lured from Geelong - an ex-teammate of Donnellan's at Darebin I think? I knew one of Clifford/Cula-Reid was at Collingwood, but forgot who was where...

If they are together still, and Cula-Reid is coaching, South Freo are joining the WAFLW next season, so there could be a coaching opportunity there. Or maybe as an assistant to Kara at Swans? Interesting to see how that pans out.

Fair enough on Abbey Holmes. I think she's a very articulate and knowledgeable commentator, and could probably have a decent career in that role. Just comparing her to former AFLW players, she leaves Daisy Pearce well in her wake, and is better than a fair whack of the ex-male players in the media too. Sounds like she'd be a better fit at WC then if the boyfie plays there and she's not that good a player, leaving us another draft pick to use on new talent... :D

Seems like I got the Vic teams all mixed up. I thought Clifford had been lured from Geelong - an ex-teammate of Donnellan's at Darebin I think? I knew one of Clifford/Cula-Reid was at Collingwood, but forgot who was where...

If they are together still, and Cula-Reid is coaching, South Freo are joining the WAFLW next season, so there could be a coaching opportunity there. Or maybe as an assistant to Kara at Swans? Interesting to see how that pans out.
If Abbey is drafted, it will be late. Both clubs will sign younger prospects with upside over a 29ish year old coming back from injury, who was only ever a middling prospect at best.

If she does go late, it's 50/50 who takes her imop. She is good for a handful of goals a season, so whoever thinks they need the most options forward, gets her.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

If Abbey is drafted, it will be late. Both clubs will sign younger prospects with upside over a 29ish year old coming back from injury, who was only ever a middling prospect at best.

If she does go late, it's 50/50 who takes her imop. She is good for a handful of goals a season, so whoever thinks they need the most options forward, gets her.
Yeah it was wishful thinking you'd take her with one of your early picks hence why I said "Ideal Draft" for us. I do think your KPPs are your weakness currently though. You have 3 rucks on your list but none of them are great as KPPs imo. I rate both Bartlett and Dowrick but they seem a few years away from giving the kind of dominance the top AFLW teams get from their key position players.

Any thoughts on who WC might be interested in for the draft? You thinking Bowey for your first pick assuming we pick Roux first? Either of the Erceg sisters on your radar? Hyde sisters? Verrier? Pescud? Webb? Do you think you'll go more for talented youngsters with a look to the future or best available mature talent?

Yeah it was wishful thinking you'd take her with one of your early picks hence why I said "Ideal Draft" for us. I do think your KPPs are your weakness currently though. You have 3 rucks on your list but none of them are great as KPPs imo. I rate both Bartlett and Dowrick but they seem a few years away from giving the kind of dominance the top AFLW teams get from their key position players.

Any thoughts on who WC might be interested in for the draft? You thinking Bowey for your first pick assuming we pick Roux first? Either of the Erceg sisters on your radar? Hyde sisters? Verrier? Pescud? Webb? Do you think you'll go more for talented youngsters with a look to the future or best available mature talent?
I honestly have no idea. The only thing I am reasonably certain of, is Roux goes first to Freo, would be staggered if anyone else went first.

Eagles just signed Sophie McDonald from Claremont as their last pre draft pickup. Didnt really know much about her, but it seems they rated her highly.

For the womens, I think what the recruiters see in their various camps and academies counts for a lot, which we do not see. I like the Hyde sisters for their football smarts, but they may be just to small, without top end speed to overcome it. I think everyone you mentioned is a possibility, but none of them are certainties. The only thing I am sure (aside from Roux), is that some of the selections will surprise.

I just heard something I will steal, there will be a lot of moneyballing going on. The number of players hidden away, and the relative lack of scrutiny female players get means there is plenty of chances to pick a gem up from nowhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy ****! We are definitely selecting Roxanne Roux with our first pick...

STANDING VERTICAL JUMP:

Roxanne Roux (Western Australia): 59cm

Molly Denahy-Maloney (Vic Metro): 58cm
Marguerite Purcell (Vic Metro): 53cm
Tahlia Hickie (Queensland): 52cm
Hannah Munyard (South Australia): 51cm
Record: Jess Allan (South Australia, now GWS) in 2017: 61cm

20-METRE SPRINT:

Nicola Xenos (Vic Metro): 3.210 seconds
Olivia Divilly (Ireland): 3.258 seconds
Roxanne Roux (Western Australia): 3.250 seconds
Vikki Wall (Ireland): 3.299 seconds
Hannah Munyard (South Australia): 3.307 seconds
Record: Emerson Woods (Vic Metro, now Carlton) in 2018: 3.129 seconds

AGILITY:

Elisabeth Georgostathis (Vic Metro): 8.535 seconds
Isabel Dawes (Queensland): 8.651 seconds
Roxanne Roux (Western Australia): 8.654 seconds
Hannah Munyard (South Australia): 8.668 seconds
Tarni White (Queensland): 8.696 seconds
Record: Ruby Blair (Queensland, formerly Brisbane) in 2017: 8.495 seconds

Holy ****! We are definitely selecting Roxanne Roux with our first pick...

STANDING VERTICAL JUMP:

Roxanne Roux (Western Australia): 59cm

Molly Denahy-Maloney (Vic Metro): 58cm
Marguerite Purcell (Vic Metro): 53cm
Tahlia Hickie (Queensland): 52cm
Hannah Munyard (South Australia): 51cm
Record: Jess Allan (South Australia, now GWS) in 2017: 61cm

20-METRE SPRINT:

Nicola Xenos (Vic Metro): 3.210 seconds
Olivia Divilly (Ireland): 3.258 seconds
Roxanne Roux (Western Australia): 3.250 seconds
Vikki Wall (Ireland): 3.299 seconds
Hannah Munyard (South Australia): 3.307 seconds
Record: Emerson Woods (Vic Metro, now Carlton) in 2018: 3.129 seconds

AGILITY:

Elisabeth Georgostathis (Vic Metro): 8.535 seconds
Isabel Dawes (Queensland): 8.651 seconds
Roxanne Roux (Western Australia): 8.654 seconds
Hannah Munyard (South Australia): 8.668 seconds
Tarni White (Queensland): 8.696 seconds
Record: Ruby Blair (Queensland, formerly Brisbane) in 2017: 8.495 seconds

How tall is she?

How tall is she?
A tallish medium sized player. Has generally played an undersized ruck or key position because of her leap and speed. I doubt she does that in AFLW. Could be a good flanker, or a big midfielder if she develops a tank.

Certainly could pinch hit at full forward.

In U18s was that player you put wherever you need an impact.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

How tall is she?
On the record it says 170cm - but who knows how old that figure is? She seems a similar height to Antonio (173cm) to me. Certainly not Houghton height (179cm), so probably won't be rucking.

Mim Strom (184cm ruck) tested well as well. 3.33s 20m sprint, 16.1 Yo Yo and 8.27 2km.

Roux had a 16.4 for Yo Yo and 8.16 2km.

For those interested there was an article on Roxanne Roux the other day:

I quite liked the wording at the end...

Although she is an Essendon supporter, Roux is hoping to play for Fremantle, or for West Coast’s newly formed AFLW team in 2020.

For those interested there was an article on Roxanne Roux the other day:

I quite liked the wording at the end...

Although she is an Essendon supporter, Roux is hoping to play for Fremantle, or for West Coast’s newly formed AFLW team in 2020.
I've met Roxy a couple of times and she's a quality person, exactly what every club needs and wants. She's a monty for our first pick.

She helped out with a couple of little league games during the AFLW season and she was so good with the young kids(girls). Amazing work ethic off the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back