Autopsy Freo outclassed by the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

His game plan has been exposed and given his lack of willingness to change our forward half set up, his tenure must be questioned.
Everyone on here knows I've been JL's biggest supporter.

But, you're right. Can't keep rolling out that forward line and expecting it to be suddenly elite.

Not sure what the answer it, but I'd start with changing up the personnel.

If we don't try something soon, the season will be a bust before the bye.

I would love to know what assessment opposition teams make of our forward line when scouting us. Do they just look at each other in astonishment, dumbfounded by how collectively clueless we are in the arts of making space, leading, getting to dangerous spots, etc?
Freo forwards?

goodfellas-laugh.gif

Is it the game plan, lack of skills, or lack of confidence? I fear the retirement of Mundy has been a greater loss than we dare to admit. We will have to play Fyfe in the middle when he comes back. Right now, we are getting killed at the contest. Maybe throw Bruce Banfield in the middle. He isn't fast but has the size. Next week wonderboy Rotwell will kill us if we don't clean up our game.

I hope Serong has secretly signed an extension, otherwise we are going to be in a world of hurt if he leaves. I already hate you 2023...

I won't stand for any Hughes slander. Tries his guts out and is bloody tough.

• Walker did well. Good seeing him back.
• Clark and Jackson were alright.
• Tabs was physically assaulted every marking contest. Nowhere near the worst.
• We need to do something about Young. He's too good a kick to only be having 10 a game (and his kicking was pretty bloody average it must be said)
• Serong and Switta the only two to improve since last year
• You can clearly see the effect our lack of scoring has on us. Knowing the pressure on us to convert forward of centre makes us panic and fumble. It's a serious concern.

Alright I'm excited for this one

• Alex Pearce is bad. Like at least 70% of Adelaide's scores would've come from him. I'm sure he seemed like the right choice for captain after stepping in for Fyfe all of last year but WOW he's awful. Contrast that with Dawson from Adelaide and wow.
  • Henry. Can't believe we were happy to let Acres walk for nothing just to give Henry a chance on the wing. He's shown enough. Every possession he has he hecks it up. Let him walk to melbourne or wherever he wants. He's done here. Should not be gifted another game.
  • Banfield was the only forward trying today. Crazy what happens when you're made to earn your spot.
  • Taberner gives us nothing. I don't care that he got two goals. He can't hold a mark to save his life even if he's getting it infront of his man. Also gave away about 5 free kicks down the line.
  • On the forward line, how many hecking times did we get it in there to have only Tabs and Darcy there. Adelaide were able to walk it out so easily.
  • Why did we only start trying to play through the corridor at the start of the third when we were already down 6 goals. Looks like JL reserves it for trying to dig ourselves out of holes rather than actually playing to win. Oh and the fact that we seemed to stop doing that as soon as Brayshaw made one mistake. FFS.
  • Our defence as a whole looked so slow and tired. No effort from most of the guys. Thought Clark was the only one who seemed to try.
  • Don't know what we've done to Hayden Young. He was so good last year. Liability today.
  • Aish couldn't pick up a ball to save his life.
  • Walker tried to take it on with his run and carry. He'd keep his spot.
  • Felt like JOM does nothing but apparently he had 9 clearances. Don't see his value over Brodie though. Trading for him was a mistake.
  • Hughes was fine. Don't agree with calls for him to be dropped.
The thing I would love to understand the most is why we only seem to start taking the game on when we're several goals down already. Want to see a whole lot of personnel changes this week but I know ultimately it won't matter because the coach has no idea. I don't even know who comes in/out for this one but Henry is a non-negotiable.

Our players look trash and the rebuild looks a bust because our game plan does not play to our strengths.

We should be a run and carry side. We have recruited run and carry HB’s and athletes.

Why in gods name we don’t play a style suited to our personnel is beyond me.

Game plan is on the coach. The buck stops there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone on here knows I've been JL's biggest supporter.

But, you're right. Can't keep rolling out that forward line and expecting it to be suddenly elite.

Not sure what the answer it, but I'd start with changing up the personnel.

If we don't try something soon, the season will be a bust before the bye.
It's all over mate, the season is a bust

Our players look trash and the rebuild looks a bust because our game plan does not play to our strengths.

We should be a run and carry side. We have recruited run and carry HB’s and athletes.

Why in gods name we don’t play a style suited to our personnel is beyond me.

Game plan is on the coach. The buck stops there
We’ve got the cattle to contend. It’s just the alien sport they are trying to play which doesn’t seem to work in an AFL setting.

Longterm posters might remember the Richmond board's #eco movement some years ago. I'm there now. Totally #eco this season. There's only so many times I can be hurt before I need to stop caring for my own good.

- I'm really starting to appreciate how much Brodie's out-of-the-box season carried our midfield last year. Now that he's reverted to the mean* we're being exposed as extremely vanilla and undersized.
*Or a less charitable interpretation is the addition of JOM has ruined the balance in there. Yes he can go forward once a month and kick a couple of goals, does that make up for the 90% of the match where I forget he's even playing for us? Meanwhile our midfield talisman from last year is running around for Peel. Is the trade-off worth it?

- I'm finally done with Henry after he got caught HTB running into the 50 at the end of the 3rd. Mate, you've been caught out by the pace of the AFL nearly every time you've touched it in your career and you still don't give off the obvious hands to the guys running in front of you? It's not PSA footy and hasn't been for several years. Must be one of the slowest players in the head in the AFL.

- Pearce has been very ordinary this year. I know people who are mates with him and they say he's a pretty shy guy IRL. Is the responsibly of the captaincy hurting his form? Who knows.

- Tabs looks cooked, he really does. Is he offering anything more than getting games into Treacy would? Either way we're losing so what difference does it make?

- Hughes on the wing kills me. There's a difference between being the defensive wing (ie where you set up) and having the sort of defensive mindset that causes you to try pass the ball to Tabs 1 metre out in the pocket when you're on the 50 running into an open goal. I mean, he overshot Tabs and kicked a point by accident anyway, why not just aim 3m left and go for goal. It's emblematic of our ridiculously conservative gamestyle.

- And speaking of... MJ looked like he's oozed class last week with a few of his touches. Is that enough to get him a full game this week for a team that massively lacks class? Of course not, let's go back to the well with the same 'hard working' players who've got us f**k all results this year instead.

- I really want to believe in JLo but he's making it hard. I feel like I'm watching the same sh*tty movie on repeat. Even when we have good patches we dominate field position and I50s but can't score to save our lives, only for the opposition to score with ease every single time they go forward

#eco

Last edited:
Out ran and out fought. Sometimes it is very simple. They attacked the ball and man with intensity We tried but didn’t want it enough.
All the players are far braver than me, however at least twice Aish looked up at the on coming traffic and proceeded to fumble the ball and turn it over. He had a lot of mates but to me It was a symbol of our season.
Serong was very good and Darcy improved again on last week. Amiss is going to great and I like Johnson’s poise, It REALLY stood out.

• Taberner
  • Henry
  • Hughes

All three can hand in their jumpers as far as I'm concerned and head back to Perth tonight, don't bother coming to training either. All three continue with insipid performances and get selected every week. Disgrace to the jumper, disgrace to the badge, disgrace to the fans.
Hughes and Tabs gave better effort than most of their team mates.

My favourite part of this game was towards the end where Brayshaws struggles to pick the ball up from a clearance and keeps paddling/soccer it into the crowd forward 50 where it's picked up by Cox, who kicks is straight to Rachele who slots the goal. They didn't even have to do any work there we just gifted it to them.

The opposition knows how we play and J-Lo doesn't have a plan B

Surely Sturt and Treacy should get a look in sometime soon

We have to change something, if either tabs or Henry are in the team next week it saves me the effort of watching.

Before anyone jumps into defend Tabs, ask yourself how attempts at goal did the Adelaide forwards ruin. The answer is none, he is a player with no brain who gives away free kicks or runs into other players space.

JOM has been a negative pick up baffled as to why Brodie was dropped.

Last year was a bit of an anomaly.
This year seems to have caught JL by surprise this tactic other teams have of kicking goals.

If only we’d foreseen the way the game was headed we could maybe have drafted a few players who have a gift for the attacking side of the game.

Oh well, back to bottom 4 where hope goes to die and haven’t we given away all our first & second round draft picks?

Should be good watching Jackson drop everything that comes his way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back