Official Club Stuff From The President - Club officially debt free 1st Feb 2021!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Um...

Harks, you're pretty reasonable most of the time. Before I start disputing what you're saying at length and descriptively, could you please enunciate why you feel this way? Make the argument that the board under MLG merely went along with the rebuild and only rotated staff out, instead of plan and put into place processes of review to ensure that when one person left the next was the best candidate?

I've done that many times over and I see little to no reason for my 'opinion' to change.

It has nothing to do with not liking MLG but everything to do with the way he and the board to some extent, have conducted themselves on our behalf for years now. Even finding ourselves in this ugly mess now (yes, another ugly mess amongst many) should tell one something.

MLG has his fans as Kernahan had before him, but time will show them not to have been the strong, honest and capable presidents we would have wanted representing the club we follow.

CEO at PwC (Price Waterhouse Coopers)

You mean a bloke who has actually run large and successful organisations? Seems an ever so slightly more appropriate candidate than a minor investment banker turned radio loud mouth.

I was highly skeptical of MLG when we appointed him. IMO he seemed a Mathieson stooge, whose only real accomplishment was being born into a successful family business.

BUT fast forward five years and I am full of praise for his presidency.

OK, there have been a couple of missteps, and we haven't yet reached any on-field heights. But when MLG took on the role, this club had its head stuck so badly up its own arse that I am surprised our players knew which way they were kicking. Then I look at where we are today and I am in awe of the transformation.

As an outsider I can't say how much of the turnaround is attributable to MLG, but under his watch we seem to 1) have appointed good people 2) developed a clear vision 3) had the conviction to follow that vision 4) worked cohesively to reach those goals (recent rumblings notwithstanding and I know not all has been rosy behind the scenes). Above all, we seem to have improved our culture and rediscovered an identity.

OK, we finished 16th this year. But I can clearly see where we're at and where we're trying to go. I haven't seen this kind of vision for 20 years.

The transformation of the club (both on- and off-field) in the past five years has been incredible. Whomever takes over from MLG may end up receiving more glory, but the groundwork for this club rising from the ashes (and 20 years of s**t) has been laid by MLG, SOS and co over the last five years. Carlton embracing the 21st century coincided almost exactly with the moment MLG took over. That can't be a coincidence.

I am proud of my club for the first time since the 90s. And I will certainly consider MLG's legacy with plenty of affection.

But but but ... he sacked Shane !!

Excellent post ferrisb 👍

I've done that many times over and I see little to no reason for my 'opinion' to change.

It has nothing to do with not liking MLG but everything to do with the way he and the board to some extent, have conducted themselves on our behalf for years now. Even finding ourselves in this ugly mess now (yes, another ugly mess amongst many) should tell one something.

MLG has his fans as Kernahan had before him, but time will show them not to have been the strong, honest and capable presidents we would have wanted representing the club we follow.
So you are not prepared to concede that the club is in a better position than it was post malthouse in the following areas;
* talent on field
* financial position off field.
* membership numbers and fan engagement.
* appointments made in key departments that are vital to the running of the club's business?

The one thing required in a turnaround situation is time - everyone underestimates how long it takes to rebuild something that is broken. Typically those who do the hard yards are open to all sorts of criticism because people have unrealistic expectations of how long it takes to fix a whole organisation.

I don't think MLG has done anything that couldn't have been done by other people - the fact is though that he has presided over a difficult period and most people run away from such challenges. For all the criticism of Bolton and now SOS - building from nothing is a tough gig - rarely rewarded in the near term. To some that means the person who appointed these senior people is guilty of something something...

Still few plans in real life are ever executed with perfect outcomes for each and every decision made - and any mistakes are amplified by those whose expectations suit that narrative.

Looking forward any new president will come on board to a Club which has a better balance sheet, more members, more sponsors, a better list and more developed football department and greater resources on hand to sustain on field and off field activities. All this will combine to allow for better quality candidates as Board members - because risk will be lower.

Our club was so outdated, amateurish and horribly understaffed when Kernahan handed the reigns over to MLG not to mention it had the worst list and salary issues going around at the time.

It's taken a while get going again but I just feel that MLG has done a pretty good job in doing that. One thing he gave us was stability and patience which was required and something which was always going to be pushed against.

I think if MLG steps down for a very well qualified and good person then that will be good. He will probably be the first president I have seen step down who is leaving the club in a state where I am pleased and comfortable with.

It seems to have been a long haul catching up to the rest of the competition and the only step we seem to have to take now is winning games. Once that starts it's all going to fall into place.

If this club happens to win a premiership then everything will explode.

Personally, I would give MLG a C+ for his tenure. Adequate. Made improvements. Had failings along the way.

At least twice he tried to go behind the board's back (Graham Wright was one such occasion) yet on the other hand he stood fast and refused to enter MM's demands for a contract extension.

C+

Good luck for the future.

Not sure who reads which thread so I’ll post here too.

Sayers is finishing up as ceo of PwC this year. His term ends now. They are electing his replacement now. (He’s not allowed to continue under their partner rules).

He’s a very good operator. Is a part of a sensible core of long term leaders there who are very tight knit. Those close to him speak highly of him.

This makes sense. Was wondering how he could possibly be pres as well as leading the equal largest professional services firm in Aus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New letter:

Dear drunkill,

As a valued Carlton member, the Club is pleased to share with you first, the financial statements for 2019.

We are delighted to declare a final statutory net profit of $6,292,164 for the year ending 31 October 2019, an increase of $5,578,475 on the previous year.

Today’s announcement continues a significant period of growth for the Club, posting a net profit position for the third consecutive year and declaring a net underlying profit of $2,492,164, excluding government grants.

The Club’s financial results are reflective of a substantial year of revenue growth, with the Club securing a 15 per cent increase in membership. The contribution of the Carlton faithful saw the Club set a new record of 64,269 members – the biggest in the Blues’ 155-year history.

The Club reached an average home crowd of 46,730 in season 2019, compared to 31,775 in 2018, resulting in a 47 per cent increase in home crowd attendance – the biggest year-on-year growth in the AFL this season.

In line with our strategic plan, the Club continues to deliver on its commitment to repay its debt, with $2.4 million worth of historical debt being paid off in 2019. This figure was more than double what was originally forecasted and is an achievement the board and administration will continue to build on in 2020.

The Club also invested an additional $859,285 into its football departments across both its AFL and AFLW programs. On the back of the significant growth of the business, investment into football will once more be increased in 2020. The additional investment in the football department from 2018 - 2020 is proposed to be in excess of $4.5 million. This significant investment has been generated through the uplift in Club revenue.

Investment into the Master Plan of Ikon Park continued, which has now entered its final planning phase and will see the Carlton Football Club boast fully integrated, state-of-the-art facilities. The development will also incorporate upgraded match day facilities, an education hub and elite training facilities that will enable integration of our AFL, AFLW, VFL and VFLW programs. Pending final statutory government approvals, we will share these plans with you.

Non-traditional revenue streams continue to grow, with the Club’s investment into Carlton College of Sport proving a success in its inaugural year, along with Carlton IN Business – which already stands as one of biggest corporate networks in Australian sport – adding to the suite of corporate revenue achieved in 2019.

The Club’s commercial growth also continued this year, with co-majors Hyundai and Virgin Australia secured in long-term partnerships. In addition, the Club has solidified its commercial strength through key partnerships with La Trobe University, Ikon Services, MC Labour, Credit Union Australia, Grunt, Lincoln Indicators and Ontime Delivery Solutions.

Excitingly, new partnerships confirmed for 2020, including PUMA and Austbrokers continue to point towards further growth in the commercial area of the business.

To have achieved record membership and crowd attendance in season 2019 is something every Carlton member should be incredibly proud of. The combination of an effective and thorough business strategy and support from our loyal members across both our AFL and AFLW programs has no doubt been a significant factor in achieving a year of substantial growth for the Club.

As a Club, we remain committed to ensuring our strong financial performance improves in 2020 as we continue to focus on achieving sustained success for this football club, both on and off the field.

Lastly, a friendly reminder that we encourage all members to be involved in our member forum, which will be held online tonight at 5.30pm. Off the back of your incredible support in 2019, we now have more members than ever before. We want to give every single Carlton member, including those interstate and in rural areas, the opportunity to ask the questions that matter most to them about their football club.

Go Blues!
UxdKM7PI5GvCt7l26eIJgaH-6Z_3urzq0O97v3wcmCFMoJ5YmH1x4v9n7MZn1o9LayJo-Rd9sOX0d9IKbzQRr1lcOpw30pYQuPBAEeWEMPoIW9DP2Q1CU9YgiyA7cQZCi-BtdncTEK1MsgazTioiKEpTIdpvdUpuI5BaXr8=s0-d-e1-ft
Mark LoGiudice
President, Carlton Football Club
Member ID: 1201017

i.e. We're absolutely flying.........but lastly, just one more little thing.....

Not much more you can do though.
Pump out all the good news as a diversion from an issue that could get worse before it gets better.....maybe it won't get worse.

We are delighted to declare a final statutory net profit of $6,292,164 for the year ending 31 October 2019, an increase of $5,578,475 on the previous year.

.....and we're going to get rid of Liddle? :)

That's a ******* outrageously good result.
What ever you think of Liddle on the SOS issue is one thing, but those financial results are outstanding.
No sign of slowing into next year either.
Compared to where we were 2 or 3 years ago... just phenomenonal effort

True. Whatever has happened has happened and should not be allowed to happen again.
That's up to the club to put the right protocols and role parameters in place. Liddle made errors but the bigger errors emanated from the club, itself.

The timing of the President to post his letter to members here, wasn't bad now, was it? :)

That's a ******* outrageously good result.

What ever you think of Liddle on the SOS issue is one thing, but those financial results are outstanding.

No sign of slowing into next year either.

Compared to where we were 2 or 3 years ago... just phenomenonal effort
True but I think we were going to do well financially even if liddle was not at blues.

True. Whatever has happened has happened and should not be allowed to happen again.
That's up to the club to put the right protocols and role parameters in place. Liddle made errors but the bigger errors emanated from the club, itself.

The timing of the President to post his letter to members here, wasn't bad now, was it? :)
Was definitely the shot of good PR the club needed.

Very strategic release but that's no surprise. Good bloody news none the less.

True but I think we were going to do well financially even if liddle was not at blues.
Maybe. Who knows.

Facts are we weren't really doing well on the financial side of things before he came on board.

Could easily say "we were always going to do well in the rebuild even if SOS was not at the blues".

Fact is we don't know what would have happened.

*obviously i love what SOS has done. But let's not diminish Liddles financial results because of the current dislike because of one issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back