Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I do agree first round picks 3 years min.
Almost 100 pages now in this thread and its not like the GH5 its one kid who offered lots of cash to be near his family.
I do not think the lions is the problem these things happen.
GWS lost 9 players last year. you do not hear it is toxic at GWS all you read is who can the other clubs get as they out of cash

I do agree first round picks 3 years min.
Almost 100 pages now in this thread and its not like the GH5 its one kid who offered lots of cash to be near his family.
I do not think the lions is the problem these things happen.
GWS lost 9 players last year. you do not hear it is toxic at GWS all you read is who can the other clubs get as they out of cash
I actually think that for the best part. GWS are keeping the ones they want to keep. We tend to lose them whether we want them or not.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-19/draftee-contracts-ridiculous-says-fagan

Well, I dare say Gill will NOT be happy with this. Both Leigh and Fages struck from his Christmas card list.

Step up Swanny.

You're next.

I've been happy to have Fagan here but haven't got as attached as I normally do. All on me - self protection so I don't end up disappointed again.

These quotes change all that. Love the attituide, the message and the calmness. Sign me up as his number one fan.

You made any mates through work? He is with 40 blokes in the same position as him 7 days a week and hasn't become attached to any one? That's not strange.?
Do we know that he hasn't become attached to anyone?

On the bright side at least we only literally have to wait a decade until an entire generation of local players from the academy can go through an entire cycle of list regeneration so we aren't as reliant on interstate players...
The thing that shits me with that though, is even if it gets to the point where we have close to a roster of Academy kids, you just know the vic clubs will still be knocking at their doors in their final year, trying to entice them to the "real heartland of AFL" is. Not to mention the likes of McGuire will most likely be sooking long and hard about how unfair it is that we have access to our local talent that we're investing in to develop but they don't.

You simply can't win when the deck is stacked so heavily against you in so many ways.

I actually think that for the best part. GWS are keeping the ones they want to keep. We tend to lose them whether we want them or not.

Not necessarily

They couldn't hold on to Treloar for example. That's just one off the top of my head but I'm sure there would be others

The difference between them and us is more about the quantity of high end talent they have accumulated through successive compromised drafts. Talent that we just haven't had at our disposal.

GWS are virtually a first round draft pick factory.

Not necessarily

They couldn't hold on to Treloar for example. That's just one off the top of my head but I'm sure there would be others

The difference between them and us is more about the quantity of high end talent they have accumulated through successive compromised drafts. Talent that we just haven't had at our disposal.

Off the top of my head, GWS definitely wanted to keep Adams, Treloar, Marchbank and McCarthy at a minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily

That is why i wrote this.

Not necessarily

They didn't lose Treloar because he flat out didn't want to be there though. I reckon he'd have stayed if they had the cap space to pay him market value, which they didn't.

Adams, Marchbank, McCarthy and maybe Will Hoskin-Elliott to a lesser extent though, were all probably players that they wouldn't have been able to retain regardless of $$$.

Well I am just going off media reports/posts from ppl claiming to be in the know. Which is the info used by basically everyone on Big footy, if we not going to use these sources anymore might as well shut it down. We do know he moved out of living with a few other team mates around his age....... Don't see him in many if any instagram pic's with the boys. A lot of ppl on here posting he is a introvert, I don't see you pulling them up asking how they know that.

They didn't lose Treloar because he flat out didn't want to be there though. I reckon he'd have stayed if they had the cap space to pay him market value, which they didn't.

Adams, Marchbank, McCarthy and maybe Will Hoskin-Elliott to a lesser extent though, were all probably players that they wouldn't have been able to retain regardless of $$$.
They had to cut their list back some how. They have kept the bulk of the players they wanted to keep.

Someone on BF said so. It must be true :)

His form has not been great. Hipwood gone past him.
Misses family
He offered a truck load of cash to be near his family
Weighing it all up.

Not sure people should be going on about him being Scott no friends.

Well I am just going off media reports/posts from ppl claiming to be in the know. Which is the info used by basically everyone on Big footy, if we not going to use these sources anymore might as well shut it down. We do know he moved out of living with a few other team mates around his age....... Don't see him in many if any instagram pic's with the boys. A lot of ppl on here posting he is a introvert, I don't see you pulling them up asking how they know that.

You do seem to be a bit keen to make harsh character assessments from second and third hand information.

He's 19 years old.

They had to cut their list back some how. They have kept the bulk of the players they wanted to keep.
with GWS be interesting how many stay around as they are a chance for a few Cups.
Or go somewhere like Magpies as they say they are on the up for the cash.

As said they all very young kids you think they try for some glory first.
Although its a fickle business all you need to do is a few knees and your done.
Or a accidental hit to the head :(

Treloar has admitted to wanting to come to the AFL big smoke to further his media career.

Part of the solution IMO should be the minimum 3 year initial contract for 1st round draftees. We might have 3 1st rounders this year so starting this year would be great.
The other possibility and probably more acceptable to the AFL and AFLPA would be an extension of free agency of sorts. All draftees coming out of contract for the first time are automatic restricted free agents. This would allow clubs to match offers on their required draftees or receive compensation pick/s determined by where your club finishes on the laddar and the draft pick used to get that draftee originally for eg: schache if he left would net us a compensation pick after our first round pick, however if our first was later in the say 10 the club would recieve pick 11 plus an additional pick to balance out the points difference between pick 11 and pick 2 ( his original draft position )

The other possibility and probably more acceptable to the AFL and AFLPA would be an extension of free agency of sorts. All draftees coming out of contract for the first time are automatic restricted free agents. This would allow clubs to match offers on their required draftees or receive compensation pick/s determined by where your club finishes on the laddar and the draft pick used to get that draftee originally for eg: schache if he left would net us a compensation pick after our first round pick, however if our first was later in the say 10 the club would recieve pick 11 plus an additional pick to balance out the points difference between pick 11 and pick 2 ( his original draft position )

How does that stop the cycle of our early picks leaving after 2 or 3 years?

How does that stop the cycle of our early picks leaving after 2 or 3 years?

It doesn't but at least it stops us losing them for a pittance.

The big problem with this proposal is that it helps the rich get even richer. They could start picking off good kids AND keep their picks (allowing the AFL to compensate us instead).

So yeah, pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back