Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen names floated, but SD, NB, LC all mentioned as being sounded out, not actually locked in per se. Am I assuming one/multiple of those are actually stitched up?
The only one I can comment on having heard personally is Leon Cameron. The rest were just other names I read on here. All were just that we have asked the question i believe.

On the talk of "rumors"

There seems to be the idea that Bevo is a control freak, assistants do not get a say, he makes all list management decisions, impossible to work with, makes all team selection decisions, and so forth. Even though he denied it in an interview with Robbo earlier in the year. But there has been zero proof, or comments by any former player or coaches, aside from the little story about the Gowers pick way back, which was a nothing story as pretty much every single coach would over rule the odd list management decision time to time. Seems a lot of this board like to make their own ideas out of nothing and run with it, until enough believe it.

I am not denying it. I am just saying its all been words and zero else, yet for some reason gets passed as a strong fact. "It's well known Bevo is a control freak" you see posted now and then. Which is why I take all the back rooms stories and rumors with skepticism unless backed up.

Just weird how people can speak of something as a fact, without any evidence to point to it being so. Unless people are actually there, no one knows who does what behind the scenes, or how things are like etc. I feel his character gets unfairly bashed at times, based on an accepted view than a proven one. Pretty low in my opinion

Last edited:
I don't have name of coaches but the goss past through to me

-3 names including Cameron have been brought up for the restructure of the coaching staff
-Two NAB League coaches are in talks with the dogs for a full time role
-Grant expected to keep his role but with new support around him
-Nathan Bruke potentially doing more AFL work next year as part of his AFLW Full Time role
Info passed through to me since some people are asking and it's a bit back

Always subject to change

On the talk of "rumors"

There seems to be the idea that Bevo is a control freak, assistants do not get a say, he makes all list management decisions, impossible to work with, makes all team selection decisions, and so forth. Even though he denied it in an interview with Robbo earlier in the year. But there has been zero proof, or comments by any former player or coaches, aside from the little story about the Gowers pick way back, which was a nothing story as pretty much every single coach would over rule the odd list management decision time to time. Seems a lot of this board like to make their own ideas out of nothing and run with it, until enough believe it.

I am not denying it. I am just saying its all been words and zero else, yet for some reason gets passed as a strong fact. "It's well known Bevo is a control freak" you see posted now and then. Which is why I take all the back rooms stories and rumors with skepticism unless backed up.

Just weird how people can speak of something as a fact, without any evidence to point to it being so. Unless people are actually there, no one knows who does what behind the scenes, or how things are like etc. I feel his character gets unfairly bashed at times, based on an accepted view than a proven one. Pretty low in my opinion
You must be new here.

As of tonight

-Mini-review has been happening since the bye, next review looks to be internal and not external, has already started (28/08/23)
-Losses to Sydney, GWS and Hawks have started to change the tune of some of our stead-fast board members - Still the case, Bevo will not have unlimited power moving forward (28/08/23)
-Still to be a minor board shuffle that was planned months ago (28/08/23)
-Rohan Smith, Webb, Martin, Varcoe and Spang are all being moved on, coaches are in line to take over, Stewart Dew looks to be one of them (28/08/23)
-
We would have to pay out Luke's entire contract if we decided to get rid of him early, currently that's until the end of 2025. According to Caro this changes when his new contract starts next season, we go into a 6 month payment and not full contract payment (28/08/23)
-Luke was offered a ''We'll pay you out some of your next contract for your own mental health / get outta jail free'' option, he declined.
-I'm still lead to believe that if Grant leaves they'll ask Lade to move into the director of football role (28/08/23)
-I'm lead to believe Bevo's next contract is on significantly less money giving us resources to chase other coaching staff (28/08/23)
-Chris Grant is selling the house his lived in for the last 400 years, might be moving on??? - Cleveland has reported that Grant will be moving on, yet to confirm with another source (will work on confirming) - 21/08/23 As of this post, I am told that Grant is not sure if he'll stay or not (28/08/23)

First post updated. 28/08/23

I put it to y'all that we were one player away from making the top 4 this year. We were Zak Butters away from being that side. With Butters, we win, at the very least, half of the games we lost by a goal or less, but probably all of them. We set up differently at stoppages, we have a quick burst and clearance player that kicks off both feet, defends, makes good decisions and doesn't bottle it when things get tough. We were that close.

We are probably a Zac Butters (or similar) and 1 wing away from being a serious flag threat. It's both close and the Grand Canyon. A Butters clone and class winger will help our cause next season no end, and to a degree, this year's experience to illustrate to a young forward line that defence matters too (Cody and others up there making 11 tackles on a regular basis will make a difference)
Yeah maybe we were a Josh Dunkley away from winning a flag ?

As of tonight

-Mini-review has been happening since the bye, next review looks to be internal and not external, has already started (28/08/23)
-Losses to Sydney, GWS and Hawks have started to change the tune of some of our stead-fast board members - Still the case, Bevo will not have unlimited power moving forward (28/08/23)
-Still to be a minor board shuffle that was planned months ago (28/08/23)
-Rohan Smith, Webb, Martin, Varcoe and Spang are all being moved on, coaches are in line to take over, Stewart Dew looks to be one of them (28/08/23)
-
We would have to pay out Luke's entire contract if we decided to get rid of him early, currently that's until the end of 2025. According to Caro this changes when his new contract starts next season, we go into a 6 month payment and not full contract payment (28/08/23)
-Luke was offered a ''We'll pay you out some of your next contract for your own mental health / get outta jail free'' option, he declined.
-I'm still lead to believe that if Grant leaves they'll ask Lade to move into the director of football role (28/08/23)
-I'm lead to believe Bevo's next contract is on significantly less money giving us resources to chase other coaching staff (28/08/23)
-Chris Grant is selling the house his lived in for the last 400 years, might be moving on??? - Cleveland has reported that Grant will be moving on, yet to confirm with another source (will work on confirming) - 21/08/23 As of this post, I am told that Grant is not sure if he'll stay or not (28/08/23)

First post updated. 28/08/23
Great, all this tells me is that we can’t afford to sack a coach that we need to sack due to the incompetence of our CEO, board, Director of Football.

Makes next year an absolute disaster.

Great, all this tells me is that we can’t afford to sack a coach that we need to sack due to the incompetence of our CEO, board, Director of Football.

Makes next year an absolute disaster.
1.5m+ is a good reason to keep someone around sadly.

This is a mess made by the board, no denying that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Josh Dunkley we do all of our running stuff with footys and don’t do heaps of hard hard running just for fitness.

I bet ya this is some hare-brained theory of Bevvo’s and he overrules the fitness staff who are powerless to do anything about it. We sure don’t look that fit to me.

Also, if Bev has lost some of the players, and it’s the ones who want a bit more accountability and professionalism that he’s lost, but the rest that he enables support him, then we are royally screwed.

According to Josh Dunkley we do all of our running stuff with footys and don’t do heaps of hard hard running just for fitness.

I bet ya this is some hare-brained theory of Bevvo’s and he overrules the fitness staff who are powerless to do anything about it. We sure don’t look that fit to me.
Not saying fitness isn't a contributor, but in quite a few of the close games we lost, we were finishing strongly and peppering/had the run of play (kicking the last goal or two). Surely if fitness was the key issue, we'd consistently be out on our feet with 5 mins left?

Is there any fitness phenomenon where athletes performances fall away in the middle of an event? Maybe our next fitness guys need to explore that. Inexplicable that it could happen so consistently.

I am not defending our administration at all saying this, as poor reactive and risk adverse decision making has us in this predicament.

The club was placed in an awkward position when our original assistants virtually left in one broad sweep. Gia to Essendon (still makes me nauseous seeing him in those colours) King up to the coast and Hansen leaving us high and dry with no notice whatsoever.

Club scrambled. Had to acquire assistants short notice, grabbed what they could get. Alas as they reached into the cheap assistant light pool, you get what you pay for.

What still gets my goat to this very day and was the moment I was genuinely concerned we needed more effective decision makers, was the day they let morris and Corey go in a short sighted reactive decision in response to Covid restrictions.

On the talk of "rumors"

Outside 5, refusal to tag, playing Hannan, Gowers. These things don’t happen when a coach takes on feedback.

Can we rattle the tins again to pay for him to f-off?

I am not defending our administration at all saying this, as poor reactive and risk adverse decision making has us in this predicament.

The club was placed in an awkward position when our original assistants virtually left in one broad sweep. Gia to Essendon (still makes me nauseous seeing him in those colours) King up to the coast and Hansen leaving us high and dry with no notice whatsoever.

Club scrambled. Had to acquire assistants short notice, grabbed what they could get. Alas as they reached into the cheap assistant light pool, you get what you pay for.

What still gets my goat to this very day and was the moment I was genuinely concerned we needed more effective decision makers, was the day they let morris and Corey go in a short sighted reactive decision in response
Agree with all this. But we have had this set up for a few years now. Sacking Corey and Russell was very short sighted, especially Joel Corey who wouldn’t stand for any Bevo BS.
Maybe Spanger and Webb are both great coaches, but bringing in them both together for immediate line roles each with Rohan Smith (very close to Bevo) as the other coach meant the club have failed them?
Maybe the problem is just Bevo, we could bring in Nathan Buckley, Adam Yze and Josh Carr as assistants and we would still pick Hannan and Vandermeer or would still run back from the mark or Weightman would still be acting and flying with talls or Naughton would still be missing easy shots??

We’ve got to go for Nigel Lappin. He lives down the road in Geelong. He has probably been at the cats long enough now? Very very good people skills. He is the person Bevo philosophises over and would love to be. He lived it as a player and is doing it as an assistant coach who I don’t think wants to be a head coach. Sometimes too much ambition clouds a man’s judgment. Would be negligent not to inquire.

My best guess at the time of the rumour, although I didn’t want to question it as I don’t know, was that if any money had been discussed it would have been around “You have our backing, but if you want to walk away, then…”. As in, if he felt the need to resign then we’d still honour the contract in part and this is what that would look like. Rather than “you’re sacked, here’s our offer”.

On the talk of "rumors"

Wilson, Barrett, Niall and others in the media are pretty strong and consistent on Beveridge having an outsized amount of control over the footy department for a coach. Personally, I would take one reporter with a huge grain of salt but I tend to put some stock in a consensus.

Quote from the recent Niall piece:

“That Beveridge was forced to accept the hierarchy’s wishes for change in his coaching panel is a measure of how the senior coach’s control of football decisions has been reduced to an extent during what the Bulldogs acknowledge has been a disappointing season to date.

As the club’s only premiership coach since 1954 and only coach to reach a grand final since 1961 (he’s reached two), Beveridge has wielded significant power within the football department, but the Bulldogs believe change around him is necessary for the club’s sake.”

I don’t take the commentary as being a critique on his character, even if that’s how it could be intended by some. I don’t think control is necessarily malevolent. It’s just a statement of how things are and that the club believes attempting to correct it is the best path forward.

Also, if Bev has lost some of the players, and it’s the ones who want a bit more accountability and professionalism that he’s lost, but the rest that he enables support him, then we are royally screwed.

StKilda looked ripped early in the season - their players looked much much fitter - Mason Wood was a good example ,and he had a career best season. They absolutely showed us up in round 2 - all on the back of serious running power and endurance.

Having a tan after pre season looks great - but I want the list to run their guts out and get ultra fit in the pre season. And I want Naughts,poulter and Smith ( if still there) to shave their heads and focus on getting the pill, not preening and worrying about hairspray.

Business at the front back and sides is what I want..

We were unfit this year - and that is unacceptable.Skinner reserve is an excuse - it cannot be a reason. If Skinner caused a lot of issues - then not identifying this and looking at alternatives was negligence.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back