Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

They've gone straight to aggressive rather than just saying "let's just see how it plays out".

If they said that I wouldn't go on their board if it happens ... now I'll take one for the team
Yeah disappointing, especially the dig about our facilities, pretty below the belt and wrong.

If you listen to Bruce and Ads, it’s clear that our club has a great culture and obviously Bevo is a large part of that. Seems like our issues are more around game style and potentially Bevo needing to take on too much. I hope that some additions to the football department and some tweaks to the game style are the keys to improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah it seems like that’s the case, I went early to say he’s lost the players - he obviously hasn’t, so it’s hard to explain why we play like that sometimes.

I dunno are the players too comfortable though? I’m sure the guys that know their position is in no danger are loving it, but is that a good thing for performances? I know Bevo loves his players and if they still love playing for him great, but I think he needs to become a bit more ruthless.

And we need serious adjustment tactically because we’re one of the worst coached teams at the moment, whether that comes down only to Bevo or new assistants will fix that we’ll find out soon. But something needs to change, all well and good for him to still have the support of the players and a happy culture internally but if it’s not producing results is worthless. And currently it’s definitely not producing results

Yet our facilities will be the best in the AFL soon enough

They probably think we are in debt which hasn’t been the case for a very long time.

Dons, Pies and Carl supporters always like to pretend it’s still the 70s and 80s where they had control. In reality 2 of these 3 have been outperformed by us in modern times. Would have been 3 if 2021 went our way.

I would be stoked with Leppa, and one of Hale/Kornberg. If we could pull off the three of them (heh) I'd fall off my chair. Good on them for having a go.
All 3 would be great, Hale had that hawks midfield absolutely humming this year and can’t underestimate just how bad people thought they were gonna be coming into the season after gutting the midfield to an extent.

Kornbergs an interesting one, is he ready for a line coaching spot? Would there be any reason for him to come across for a development role.

I can’t say I know a huge amount about him but I like the thought of a new age young footy mind coming in, with some decent success to back him up. And honestly the Baz link shouldn’t be underestimated either, we need to do what we can to get Baz to his best - such an important part of our future and if bringing in a guy who has had a big impact on his career is the way to do that, that’s what we need to do

Really glad that we’re looking in the right places, now the hard part is finishing the job and getting the signatures.

Geez, for Collingwood meant to be a working class club, their fans are quick to put the boots into the smaller clubs, for being a smaller club, no better than Carlton here.
Ive never understood the love for Collingwood on this board.

50% of my extended family would be made up of Collingwood supporters and for the most part when it comes to football.

They are insufferable campaigners who I cannot stand to be around.

The rest of the time they're lovely.

Ive never understood the love for Collingwood on this board.

50% of my extended family would be made up of Collingwood supporters and for the most part when it comes to football.

They are insufferable campaigners who I cannot stand to be around.

The rest of the time they're lovely.
Half the people on here respect them for ‘89 alone. I have good friends and family members that support Collingwood, wouldn’t say I love them but I’m pretty indifferent to them. Which is a contrast to the other clubs, whom I all hate.

At least we know the club is working behind the scenes with some of the rumours surrounding Kornberg and Leppa.

It’s just a little disappointing that the club has not been more forthright with us (the members).

If a few things fall into place (ie: Leppa, Kornberg, Hale, Edge) with a re structure around the coach, then all will be forgiven.

Sounds like we are being pro active trade wise and hopefully we land Coffield for not too much and can hit the draft with at least a pick in the top 10 prior to a Croft bid.

Naughton signing and Jamarra on the verge is a great show of confidence in the group. If we can get pick 3 for Baz, we need to seriously consider it.

Amazing how a week of optimism can transform your view of the club.

Half the people on here respect them for ‘89 alone. I have good friends and family members that support Collingwood, wouldn’t say I love them but I’m pretty indifferent to them. Which is a contrast to the other clubs, whom I all hate.
89 was some nice PR for a guy who was desperate to sell his faux working class bonafides to a club and a supporter base that refused to see itself for the corporate behemoth that its was fast becoming.

I'd support GWS before Collingwood. In fact a few weeks ago I did just that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we know the club is working behind the scenes with some of the rumours surrounding Kornberg and Leppa.

It’s just a little disappointing that the club has not been more forthright with us (the members).
Genuine question, what would you have wanted them to do? They informed the members of a review, and of identifying the need for change in the coaching panel. I don't think it's realistic to expect them to explain who they had in mind, or who they were approaching, or what they were trying for?

Yeah it seems like that’s the case, I went early to say he’s lost the players - he obviously hasn’t, so it’s hard to explain why we play like that sometimes.

I dunno are the players too comfortable though? I’m sure the guys that know their position is in no danger are loving it, but is that a good thing for performances? I know Bevo loves his players and if they still love playing for him great, but I think he needs to become a bit more ruthless.

And we need serious adjustment tactically because we’re one of the worst coached teams at the moment, whether that comes down only to Bevo or new assistants will fix that we’ll find out soon. But something needs to change, all well and good for him to still have the support of the players and a happy culture internally but if it’s not producing results is worthless. And currently it’s definitely not producing results
A teacher who let's students get away with not working hard and mucking around in class will often be described as a 'good teacher' by the students and they'll look forward to that class, even if they really aren't learning much.
A teacher who is strict and keeps students accountable might be seen as a bad teacher and students might not like the class as much even though they are going a better job of teaching the students and helping them reach their potential.
I wonder if there is an element of that at play with beverage and the 'good culture'

A teacher who let's students get away with not working hard and mucking around in class will often be described as a 'good teacher' by the students and they'll look forward to that class, even if they really aren't learning much.
A teacher who is strict and keeps students accountable might be seen as a bad teacher and students might not like the class as much even though they are going a better job of teaching the students and helping them reach their potential.
I wonder if there is an element of that at play with beverage and the 'good culture'
Yeah well said, we’ll probably never know - but from the outside it seems like that’s the case, especially if you believe the Dunks rumours that it was more a professionalism thing as to why he left.

But on the other hand I don’t think a guy like Bont would allow that sort of environment - although to be fair he’s a great guy & a young leader so maybe he hasn’t exactly been up front to this point, until this year where we really for the first time started to see him become frustrated & demanding with his teammates.

So it all lines up really, hopefully everyone has taken the criticism on board and we start to see a more accountable football team. Because those performances really come down to one thing and it’s not that we’re not good enough, it’s literally all unaccountability. No amount of draft picks or trade targets will fix that, it all comes down to a standard being set at the top, ie Bev - and it doesn’t look like he’s been setting that standard.

Kiddy gloves need to come off, I don’t care what your name is if you don’t perform your role you’re out it’s that simple.

Yeah well said, we’ll probably never know - but from the outside it seems like that’s the case, especially if you believe the Dunks rumours that it was more a professionalism thing as to why he left.

But on the other hand I don’t think a guy like Bont would allow that sort of environment - although to be fair he’s a great guy & a young leader so maybe he hasn’t exactly been up front to this point, until this year where we really for the first time started to see him become frustrated & demanding with his teammates.

So it all lines up really, hopefully everyone has taken the criticism on board and we start to see a more accountable football team. Because those performances really come down to one thing and it’s not that we’re not good enough, it’s literally all unaccountability. No amount of draft picks or trade targets will fix that, it all comes down to a standard being set at the top, ie Bev - and it doesn’t look like he’s been setting that standard.

Kiddy gloves need to come off, I don’t care what your name is if you don’t perform your role you’re out it’s that simple.
100%. That is why I’m my mind the ideas being discussed in this thread outweigh the draft/trade idea’s because we must have the off-field worked out before the on-field stuff. A premiership needs both to work. We can make a preliminary or even grand final on the strength of one aspect but a premiership requires whole of club to be elite across many aspects. Must get coaches and footy managers who know what they’re doing and know their roles. Then nail the draft and trades.

Genuine question, what would you have wanted them to do? They informed the members of a review, and of identifying the need for change in the coaching panel. I don't think it's realistic to expect them to explain who they had in mind, or who they were approaching, or what they were trying for?
Just a weekly update on the review. We don’t need specifics. But to know when it should be completed and if the review is showing we need changes etc? we should be able to ask if an internal review, why not an external? Reasons why not an external review? And they should be able to answer that question properly not as a politician.

Just a weekly update on the review. We don’t need specifics. But to know when it should be completed and if the review is showing we need changes etc? we should be able to ask if an internal review, why not an external? Reasons why not an external review? And they should be able to answer that question properly not as a politician.
Are there any clubs that have offered this level of access and information? If you're criticising the club rather than the industry the point of comparison should be other clubs, not just what they should do.

Are there any clubs that have offered this level of access and information? If you're criticising the club rather than the industry the point of comparison should be other clubs, not just what they should do.

I think given how the last two years played out, particularly the end of this season, we should have been given some firm statements on what was uncovered by the review that was purportedly conducted.

I think Carlton’s statements on their AFL/AFLW reviews were good examples of the level of detail that can be provided and that Bulldogs supporters were probably entitled to:

Club Statement: Football Department review and Board update

Club statement: AFLW review update.

I think given how the last two years played out, particularly the end of this season, we should have been given some firm statements on what was uncovered by the review that was purportedly conducted.

I think Carlton’s statements on their AFL/AFLW reviews were good examples of the level of detail that can be provided and that Bulldogs supporters were probably entitled to:

That review is eerily mirroring our current concerns.

Thanks, I think this is a reasonable example. I guess the counter-argument is that this is for an external review, which you would imagine is much more extensive (and expensive). Are there any examples of clubs being more forthcoming about internal reviews?

Fair point. It’s the absolute radio silence that has been my frustration.

We don’t need a blow by blow account of what is happening behind closed doors, but some communication from the leaders of the club and I am talking KWW, Bains, Grant and Beveridge to at least each make a statement acknowledging the poor on field performance and take some ownership.

The club pushed the captain out in front of everyone to do just that and it’s not good enough.

Fair point. It’s the absolute radio silence that has been my frustration.

We don’t need a blow by blow account of what is happening behind closed doors, but some communication from the leaders of the club and I am talking KWW, Bains, Grant and Beveridge to at least each make a statement acknowledging the poor on field performance and take some ownership.

The club pushed the captain out in front of everyone to do just that and it’s not good enough.
Yep, this I do agree with. I think the (lack of) public voice regarding the season has been really disappointing. The statements that have been made felt quite hand-wavey. Over the past decade we have put a real premium on supporting and protecting our staff and players, which I think is great, but there's a way to do that while still showing an aggressive, determined attitude to be better and not be flippant about a massive missed opportunity.

Thanks, I think this is a reasonable example. I guess the counter-argument is that this is for an external review, which you would imagine is much more extensive (and expensive). Are there any examples of clubs being more forthcoming about internal reviews?
This is THE problem that this whole thread is talking about and THE reason clubs have internal ‘reviews’ as opposed to external reviews. If the board has stuffed up by re-signing Bevo for 2 years he didn’t want or need and that is a problem, a review would easily find out, of course the board wants an internal ‘review’😜. If the footy manager doesn’t keep the coach to his role, why would that same footy manager want an external review? Is there any wonder internal ‘reviews’ never get publicised? But we at least want to know where they are looking and why? At least acknowledge this season was a disaster. Instead we got KWW saying on B&F night we were frightfully unlucky to miss the finals! We haven’t really heard from Bevo, Ameet or Grant, just the Captain. First before any improvements is to be humble and acknowledge we were lousy, not unlucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back