Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

The club shouldn’t have been so hesitant to move him on. I don’t think him choosing to stay on is entirely a matter of ego, we know what kind of person he is, loyal, stubborn, will stick with belief in players resulting in great results but also detriment to the team at times.

Based on last year and the start to the season, he has lost the playing group, even though everyone involved with the club will public say that he hasn’t (especially the Bont who would always stick by the coach) the opposite is probably true.

Deserves to go out with dignity early this season. I am more disappointed in the club for letting it get to a stage where a man who should be revered for bringing this club back to relevancy has now become the target of bemoaning and frustration by supporters of the club.

I hope when the coaching changes happen and it’s all said and done that he is treated with that respect again.

The AFL tracker had us running collectively 4Km less than Melbourne over the whole game. That equates to around 173metres less per player than Melbourne during the game.

This suggests it’s not how much running we did, it’s more to do with when and where. That’s on the coaching. All the players have gps trackers don’t they? It’s amazing how slow and uninterested players look in a loss.

For me, if we do the same crap this Sunday, we’re done.

I feel like we're always stagnant moving the ball out of defence later in games. Not enough movement from the midfield group and half forwards to create easy short options.

We'll often go short to half back then have nothing on offer at all and have to dump a kick long or risk a turnover trying to switch

Having finally watched both the end game presser and brief it almost sounds like even Bevo doesn’t know where to take this team and what to do anymore.

I feel if we get another 2-3 losses like that he might step aside himself, maybe he’ll finally realise like Dimma did that there’s only so many ways you can cook a hotdog.

I think Bevo has a lot of integrity, and has stated himself that if he lost the players or felt out of ideas he would step away.

By having three senior players become cooked all at once (Keath, Martin and Wood).

Having your best forward who has pretty much carried the forward line out (Bruce).

A few players who we’ve always known have soft spots have shocking moments (Dale and Williams).

Leaving English who is the worst culprit of the above sentence to play on Gawn and Jackson. Also somehow managed to kick it into Petty on the mark.

If Bont and Treloar didn’t play like Lisan Al Gaib for most of the game we probably would have beaten Port Adelaide’s losing margin.

(I also haven’t mentioned how taxing it would’ve been travelling all over the country).

No mention either of how engineered the win was for Melbourne, pushing us all over Australia, not allowed to train, locked in hotel rooms, treated like shite in Perth, I.e. Melbourne not leaving the ground when it was our training time, and you wonder why the players ran out of steam and blame Bevo (shakes head)

I think Bevo has a lot of integrity, and has stated himself that if he lost the players or felt out of ideas he would step away.
Does not winning and giving under-par efforts count as losing the players? Or are our players just not very good, apart from the obvious few?

Deathly silent from the club this week.

Where's the balls?

Come out & at least say it's not good enough, we expect more, everyone is on notice, fade out unacceptable.

Their words mean 3/5ths of * all at this point but it's better than nothing.

I prefer they say nothing because if they do it will be a script that we have heard before.

Say nothing just show it on the field and when you do show say nothing again

Does not winning and giving under-par efforts count as losing the players? Or are our players just not very good, apart from the obvious few?
“Under par efforts” by definition means the group are collectively not putting in as hard as they can and should. (Maybe some are, but not enough of them).

It’s pretty damning. The coaches have the responsibility to rouse them from their torpor whether that’s by reasoning, cajoling, inspiring, threatening or actually dropping them. One game might be an anomaly but if it hasn’t turned around by Round 3 the coaches absolutely have to wear it.

Deathly silent from the club this week.

Where's the balls?

Come out & at least say it's not good enough, we expect more, everyone is on notice, fade out unacceptable.

Their words mean 3/5ths of * all at this point but it's better than nothing.
Maybe because it’s Round 1 and there are what, another 22 games to go, and they know there is a long way to go still and coming out like you suggest isn’t really warranted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No to Buckley. Hard no.
No to any coach who's senior coached before.

New blood or nothing. Dean Cox would be my number one target.

I've noticed a disturbing trend in the last 30 years or so...

Mick Malthouse was a good coach (unlucky not to make a GF) but when his coaching tenure faded and the Fightback crisis began (no real fault of Mick) we hired:
  • Terry Wheeler (1990-94) - tough, inspirational, RW&B in his veins - result: instant improvement and finished 3rd in 1992, 6th in 1994 but during that year for some reason we switched to
  • Alan Joyce (1994-1996) - well credentialled outsider but after one more year in the finals (7th) we slipped to 15th so he too was booted mid-season and the job was given to
  • Terry Wallace (1996-2002) - similar style to Wheeler in many ways, good tactician too - result: instant improvement - 3rd, 3rd,(unlucky not to make a GF) 6th, 8th and then out of the finals to finish 10th and 12th, so with the writing on the wall he too departed (in controversial circumstances) and we got
  • Peter Rohde (2002-2004) - his tenure seemed like a decade but in fact it was only two and a bit clueless, disastrous years before "Our Mastermind" was replaced by
  • Rodney Eade (2005-2011) - a decorated Hawthorn footballer and already a successful coach at Sydney, he proved to be one of our most successful coaches ever - result: instant improvement - just missed the finals then 6th, 13th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th (unlucky not to make a GF) but in 2011 his star was fading and he was replaced late in the year by Paul Williams before the new season's coaching job was given to
  • Brendan McCartney (2012-2014) - a rare coach who never played AFL level football ... and eventually it became clear that he should never have coached AFL level either. After setting the expectation of success a full five years out, he lasted only three of those years before a player revolt saw him toppled, and in came
  • Luke Beveridge (2015- present) - result: instant improvement, finals in his first year and a famous flag in his second but then a disconcerting yo-yoing between 11th and 7th on the ladder (but with one of those finals years resulting in another GF)
There are several discernible patterns here but the one that struck me most was that we seem to hire a really good coach who gets instant improvement before losing his touch and falling out of favour. Then we go through the cathartic experience of living with a dud coach. Then it's another inspiring coach who gets instant improvement again ... and so it continues.

This worries me. Whenever Bevo's tenure ends (as one day it must) will we have to live through a few more years of dudness under yet another terrible coach before we reach out for yet a new saviour? Are we destined to repeat this up-down-up-down Sisyphean cycle forever?

Mick Malthouse was a good coach (unlucky not to make a GF) but when his coaching tenure faded and the Fightback crisis began (no real fault of Mick) we hired:
  • Terry Wheeler (1990-94) - tough, inspirational, RW&B in his veins - result: instant improvement and finished 3rd in 1992, 6th in 1994 but during that year for some reason we switched to
  • Alan Joyce (1994-1996) - well credentialled outsider but after one more year in the finals (7th) we slipped to 15th so he too was booted mid-season and the job was given to
  • Terry Wallace (1996-2002) - similar style to Wheeler in many ways, good tactician too - result: instant improvement - 3rd, 3rd,(unlucky not to make a GF) 6th, 8th and then out of the finals to finish 10th and 12th, so with the writing on the wall he too departed (in controversial circumstances) and we got
  • Peter Rohde (2002-2004) - his tenure seemed like a decade but in fact it was only two and a bit clueless, disastrous years before "Our Mastermind" was replaced by
  • Rodney Eade (2005-2011) - a decorated Hawthorn footballer and already a successful coach at Sydney, he proved to be one of our most successful coaches ever - result: instant improvement - just missed the finals then 6th, 13th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th (unlucky not to make a GF) but in 2011 his star was fading and he was replaced late in the year by Paul Williams before the new season's coaching job was given to
  • Brendan McCartney (2012-2014) - a rare coach who never played AFL level football ... and eventually it became clear that he should never have coached AFL level either. After setting the expectation of success a full five years out, he lasted only three of those years before a player revolt saw him toppled, and in came
  • Luke Beveridge (2015- present) - result: instant improvement, finals in his first year and a famous flag in his second but then a disconcerting yo-yoing between 11th and 7th on the ladder (but with one of those finals years resulting in another GF)
There are several discernible patterns here but the one that struck me most was that we seem to hire a really good coach who gets instant improvement before losing his touch and falling out of favour. Then we go through the cathartic experience of living with a dud coach. Then it's another inspiring coach who gets instant improvement again ... and so it continues.

This worries me. Whenever Bevo's tenure ends (as one day it must) will we have to live through a few more years of dudness under yet another terrible coach before we reach out for yet a new saviour? Are we destined to repeat this up-down-up-down Sisyphean cycle forever?

Maybe due to Bevo’s pure length of stay in years we got both in once.

After setting the expectation of success a full five years out
Which we in fact got 😀

I wonder if other clubs go through similar cycles. Although some (like Geelong 😡) never seem to, while other are continually searching.

I don't think it'd be too uncommon for this to be the case across the competition. That's why they always say the rebuilding coaches never last, because they do a lot of the hard work, and a new coach comes in and reaps the benefits of it.

Which we in fact got 😀
Yes I noticed that. No doubt BMac laid some of the groundwork (debatable how much) but I somehow doubt we'd have won a flag in 2016 if he was still the man in charge. Especially from 7th. Besides, half the senior side might have walked by then.
I wonder if other clubs go through similar cycles. Although some (like Geelong 😡) never seem to, while other are continually searching.
I don't think it'd be too uncommon for this to be the case across the competition. That's why they always say the rebuilding coaches never last, because they do a lot of the hard work, and a new coach comes in and reaps the benefits of it.
There's something in that, but at times we haven't even needed a rebuild. We just needed a fresh voice, some fresh ideas and some fresh belief. Wheeler then Joyce then Wallace for instance. Wheeler was stiff and Joyce wasn't the answer. Wallace was.

I don't believe we need a rebuild now either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back