Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale4captain reckon Longmire stays on at Sydney after his contract ends in 2025?

Dean Cox is meant to be a decent coach in waiting- but it's been said he is being groomed to take over from Longmire.
Good question mate, I am not sure. Whilst they’re successful it’s hard to see Horse walking away. Coxy would be a phenomenal get and probably the pick of the market alongside Josh Carr

I'm a younger fan, the prelim losses destroyed me as a kid, always felt like we were never going to get there despite getting so bloody close. The Macca era was rough, lost the joy of even following footy for a while there (I was like 11-13) Eventually though I watched to see glimpses of talent emerging, was fun to watch players like Macrae, Bont, Wallis etc all start to emerge a little bit.

After Griff left I had like no hope left for the club, the Boyd deal looked fun but I thought it was a deal for the future rather then a deal for the now and we were well and truly in a rebuilding phase.

Then out of nowhere Bevo comes in and gets the list that looked shocking playing some of the best footy I've ever seen as a supporter of the club, we seriously looked so good, fast flowing, high scoring and ferocious. I loved watching us in 2015 yeah we might of went out of finals early but holy s**t finals wasn't expected anyway, this Bevo bloke had pulled a miracle, he had the list looking incredible, rejuvenated a few of the senior boys careers by changing their role. I was so optimistic that I said early on in 2016 that we would win the flag or come close and then we bloody did.

I will never ever discredit Bevo for what he did in those two years but something radically changed in 2017, teams had started to work us out and we had the weight of being the reigning premiers and we just didn't handle it well. Sydney worked out how to play against us, flogged us and gave teams the blueprint on how to beat us (No JJ no bulldogs was well and truly a thing) Bevo didn't seem the confident bloke he was in 15-16 he seemed like he was second guessing himself.

We had a few years of weirdness but it did seem like things were on the up come 2019 when we finally scraped our way back into finals, I will say 2018 might have been the most depressing year in Bevo's reign including 2023 but I wasn't truley a Bevo out guy yet. We had a few senior boys retire and a few players leave so it looked like we were trying to soft rebuild.

2020 pissed me off, we had the best looking squad we have ever had under his coaching with our young guns all entering their prime at once and we just couldn't get going, this was the beginning of me thinking Bevo had lost the plot. 2021 was a ride, I thought the man had finally got it all together, we looked great, we were so good for like 17 rounds and then we utterly cooked it, after the Port game I had no hope for us entering finals we didn't finish top 4 we looked cooked and we would have to pull a miracle out of the hat again.

We got so bloody close to doing it too, we were so close to touching that cup and then we played one of the worst quarters of footy I've ever seen us play and our coach had no answers what so ever. I go to sleep having nightmares of that last ten mins of the third when we just couldn't wrestle any momentum back from Melbourne.

Since then we have seen the team lose the same way over and over again, get some momentum against the dogs and we fold over, there has been no change, Bevo seems tired, stressed and out of ideas, our captain seems like his getting to the point where he is so stressed out it's affecting his game.

I love Bevo I really do but I don't think he is the man to lead this club on anymore, it's very sad as I think if we win in 2021 we would be in some alt timeline where we are a dynasty club under him but it just wasn't to be. His message looks like it's run stale with the players and the fans now. All that we are waiting on is it to run stale with the board and his gone.

I reckon he coaches out the season and "resigns" don't think the board really want to sack him during the season and I feel like they want to give him a dignified ending too if it's going to happen
Are you my alt? 😂 genuinely this reflects my experience pretty much exactly

Bit left field very impressive when he speaks, did a great job at Werribee not that long out of the game and was a player that did it the hard way to become a very good player.

I favour an untried coach rather than a recycled one, Just, my thoughts however picking the right coach is not an exact science.

What type? Are you talking about thermal, chemical, gravitational etc. or some kind of spooky voodoo energy whereby supporters sooking on a forum somehow affects the team's performance? I'd have thought a man with a private school education, such as yourself, would be more rational.

Tbh the "loser members" comes across as self projecting. You're not a loser - you are a valuable human being and you deserve love, just like everyone else.

This is where you really started to lose me ;)

There's a few things there. In 2022 we had Dunkley (our best and fairest winner) and a peak Macrae playing there.

In 2023, we had Bont & Libba playing as top 10 players in the competition. Libba has missed two games & been subbed out once whilst Bont looks to be playing injured and down on form. Not to mention that Smith is also out for the season & Macrae has been nowhere near his best.

It's a bit simplistic to blame Lade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dogs move on Bevo

We won't be going for a first timer coach unless we are entering full rebuild mode

Ideally, a experienced coach like Adam Simpson

If Dogs move on Bevo

We won't be going for a first timer coach unless we are entering full rebuild mode

Ideally, a experienced coach like Adam Simpson
I won’t be happy if we go into our search with such a narrow view. History shows first time coaches shouldn’t be avoided

I won’t be happy if we go into our search with such a narrow view. History shows first time coaches shouldn’t be avoided
I agree with you

But feel like with this playing list, club would feel the pressure to go with experience

Simpson? Golly.. imagine the rants in here when we play insanely slow and wide.
He’s also got his fingerprints on West Coast becoming a far bigger basket case than we have ever been under Bevo, while his career highlights basically just match Bevo’s.

I’m sure he’s a good coach and could be a candidate but I’m not sure why we think we’d improve if we hired him unless it’s just having a different voice.

Last edited:
He’s also got his fingerprints on West Coast becoming a far bigger basket case than we have ever been under Bevo, while his career highlights basically just match Bevo’s.

I’m sure he’s a good coach and could be a candidate but I’m not sure what we think why we think we’d improve if we hired him unless it’s just having a different voice.
And, they need to take into account the effect that having a former norf captain as our coach will have on Leon

I think it’s more of a who is a ready first time coach, that isn’t already part of a succession plan like Carr or Cox

Mcqualter / Graham / King / Chaplin seem the next in line.

Think I’d rather stay away from Gia but I wouldn’t be shocked if it’ll be him. (I am keen to stay away from this ex-bulldogs “boys club”). Just creates potential issues when you have Grant and Darcy at the club already.

Mcqualter / Graham / King / Chaplin seem the next in line.

Think I’d rather stay away from Gia but I wouldn’t be shocked if it’ll be him. (I am keen to stay away from this ex-bulldogs “boys club”). Just creates potential issues when you have Grant and Darcy at the club already.
Weren't we about to go with Leon Cameron in 2014 when we snaffled Beveridge at the last minute?

That worked out OK (for a while).
Admittedly Bevo did play for the Dogs too, but his lineage was more Saints/Pies than Dogs.

Weren't we about to go with Leon Cameron in 2014 when we snaffled Beveridge at the last minute?

That worked out OK (for a while).
Admittedly Bevo did play for the Dogs too, but his lineage was more Saints/Pies than Dogs.
Leon Cameron was 2011 but he wanted a rebuild and McCartney was convinced we only needed a refresh

Either way, I'd be terrified of any coaching selection we make if Bains and Grant are on the panel

Even interviewing, let alone appointing Simpson, would suggest as an organisation we have jumped the shark.
Personally, I'd rather a 10yr extension for Beveridge if that's the alternative!

Simpson is a good coach, but he needs a break just as much (or more) than Bevo does.

Eagles blew things up by having to give up so much for Kelly, then lost a stack of key players regularly (Naitanui, Lecras, Kennedy, Hurn, Shuey to name a few). What’s happened to them was always on the cards as soon as they made the deal.

Simpson wasn’t left much of a list to work with, whilst Bevo is failing with what he’s had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back