Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a couple of similarities with 2014.

We needed to lose Higgins, Griffen, Cooney and for Gia to retire to be successful. They were part of an unsuccessful dynamic as was the Coach. Boyd shifted back, we got Tom Boyd's and evolved...quickly.

We need to lose Smith and Daniel at a minimum this year. Maybe Williams or Macrae are part of that as well.... and the coach....maybe. Instead of a Tom Boyd this time round though, we need an absolute midfield gun. A fast, top 10 in the comp midfielder.... top 5 if possible....and then we'll evolve again....quickly.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we currently have a cohort of U22 youth that gets within shouting distance of what we ended 2014 with… Bont, Libba, Macrae, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Stringer, Hunter, T. Boyd, Johannisen, Daniel, McLean, Dale, Smith. We rode the wave of that group (plus additions the following year like Dunkley and Williams) hitting their straps.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we currently have a cohort of U22 youth that gets within shouting distance of what we ended 2014 with… Bont, Libba, Macrae, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Stringer, Hunter, T. Boyd, Johannisen, Daniel, McLean, Dale, Smith. We rode the wave of that group (plus additions the following year like Dunkley and Williams) hitting their straps.
A lot of those guys were minimal performers (Dale, Daniel, McLean) throughout 2015 during our initial rise and barely contributed to that success.

There's plenty of talent on our list. To counter your argument we have Naughton, JUH, Richards, Smith, Sanders, Weightman, Buku, Darcy, West, JOD, Croft, Gallagher, Frejiah & Clarke. These guys are all under 24 and are either established AFL players or seemingly have bright futures. That group stacks up with that initial group for sure.

I definitely believe there's enough talent on this list for a very quick turnaround if we get it right. We're going to lose a few of the top end (Jones, Libba, Treloar etc.) but we have the players on the list to step up.

A lot of those guys were minimal performers (Dale, Daniel, McLean) throughout 2015 during our initial rise and barely contributed to that success.

There's plenty of talent on our list. To counter your argument we have Naughton, JUH, Richards, Smith, Sanders, Weightman, Buku, Darcy, West, JOD, Croft, Gallagher, Frejiah & Clarke. These guys are all under 24 and are either established AFL players or seemingly have bright futures. That group stacks up with that initial group for sure.

I definitely believe there's enough talent on this list for a very quick turnaround if we get it right. We're going to lose a few of the top end (Jones, Libba, Treloar etc.) but we have the players on the list to step up.

Naughton and Richards turn 25 this year, West and Buku turn 24, Smith is gone. Every single one of those players I listed was 22 or younger in 2014. I appreciate the optimism, but that 2014/15 group was extraordinary.

At least this time the spine is mostly sorted, so it’s a different proposition. That should in theory help things along.

Naughton and Richards turn 25 this year, West and Buku turn 24, Smith is gone. Every single one of those players I listed was 22 or younger in 2014. I appreciate the optimism, but that 2014/15 group was extraordinary.

At least this time the spine is mostly sorted, so it’s a different proposition. That should in theory help things along.
Fills me with alot of confidence. Midfielders are alot easier to find then key position players and generally come on alot quicker.

Would have been great if Darylimple had stayed and continued picking up gems in the draft.

Do you happen to know the years that Dalrymple and Milesi were in charge of our drafts? I’d like to research and see who was the better at identifying late picks.( although might be too soon for Melesi picks)
Plz post your research!

For all Dalrymple's hits, we had some huge holes left on the list when he left.

Plz post your research!

For all Dalrymple's hits, we had some huge holes left on the list when he left.
He started poorly drafting Christian Howard with his first pick, but bounced back well picking Dahlhaus and JJ from the rookie draft the next year.

After that he nailed every one of his first picks each year. He was elite with 1st rounders.

You can see all our picks here: https://www.draftguru.com.au/clubs/western-bulldogs

You’re right about the spine but one problem - each of our premiership spine (excluding Roughead) played VFL in the same year.

Cordy, Boyd, Roberts and Hamling.

Meanwhile Sydney won a flag with LRT and Reid as KPFs with Goodes on one leg pinch hitting but then didn’t when they brought in Tippett and Buddy.

We have some cracking KPPs now but I’ve always believed games were won and lost in the midfield. Right now we have an exceptional starting midfield (which is aging quickly) then a big drop.

We need to turn our attention there asap. Sanders and Gallagher help but it’s been neglected for a long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike I have a couple of thoughts on a few things you point out, just mine so you don’t have to agree.

I think the 2021 GF was always going to be Melbourne’s the same as the 2016 GF was always going to be the Bulldogs. I think you can’t travel a team over the whole of Australia, lacking the usual training and warm down procedures due to COVID and some invested health department staff, and expect them to perform in peak condition in a GF against a team that has been relaxing and rejuvenating in sunny Perth. Opposition supporters are much kinder of their assessment than Bulldog supporters of our last quarter fade out.

We were one of the youngest teams to ever win a flag, and we had huge turnover a lot of it was unexpected I.e. Clay Smith, Tom Boyd, early retirements. This list is not the same, we recruited during COVID when the TAC was not running, we also spent our chips in two drafts on Darcy and Marra, so we were recruiting a lot of unknowns. It was a lucky dip in some cases.

In terms of defenders we recruited Young(Carlton), Marcus Adams (Brisbane), Cordy ( Saints), Roughy (Collingwood), Buss about to head back to West Coast. We did get Jones back who left because of McCarthy. It is not true that we haven’t recruited defenders we have lost them.

What every one seems to be overlooking is the sudden poaching of our assistants after 2016 (who used to be criticised on here as well), including Ash Hansen who had been promoted to senior assistant coach but got poached by Carlton just before the start of the season. The other thing everyone ignores is the soft cap, which Bevo has been very vocal about.

Finally I agree totally, that every coach has a used by date, and perhaps it’s time for Bevo to move on, but the pile on from so called supporters. I mean it’s pretty obvious the game has passed both Daniels and McCrae, love them both but the game has changed. I love what Bhuku has become,I love the change in Bailey Dale, Gallagher looks good. Give Bevo some credit not just pile on all the time.

Lastly Bevo is a human being, and he would be well aware of the criticism from the Bulldog supporters, he is a lot more distant than he used to be, the media attacking him on one side and the bulldogs unfaithful on the other. Not a great way for our most successful coach to go out.
Bevvo has done himself zero favours. He is the worst performed coach in the AFL in terms of media and press conferences. There is no worse. He also takes a huge salary which means we can’t afford any good assistants but I haven’t heard him talking about that.

Do Bont and Bevvo actually get along?

If they’ve actually got a good working relationship how come we haven’t seen them standing side by side at a press conference this season?

If all is as rosey as the club wants us to believe, then why haven’t we seen a little 3 minute video from the club, with Bont and Chris Grant and Bevvo dispelling all of the myths and telling us their plan for getting back to the top of the ladder ?

It’s the lack of messaging that makes me very very suspicious that things aren’t good behind closed doors at the club.

Do Bont and Bevvo actually get along?

If they’ve actually got a good working relationship how come we haven’t seen them standing side by side at a press conference this season?

If all is as rosey as the club wants us to believe, then why haven’t we seen a little 3 minute video from the club, with Bont and Chris Grant and Bevvo dispelling all of the myths and telling us their plan for getting back to the top of the ladder ?

It’s the lack of messaging that makes me very very suspicious that things aren’t good behind closed doors at the club.
If it wasn't for Bont I don't think Bevo would currently be in a job...

Bevvo has done himself zero favours. He is the worst performed coach in the AFL in terms of media and press conferences. There is no worse. He also takes a huge salary which means we can’t afford any good assistants but I haven’t heard him talking about that.

Bevo is respectful to the section of the media who are focussed on football. He has no time for the ambulance chasers from Croc Media, and most fans don’t either.

So I have heard it mentioned on here that Bevo salary stops us recruiting better assistants, not the soft cap restrictions, but I have yet to see any evidence of this have you got evidence?

on another note, last year I became a 20 year western bulldogs member.

Do you know what the club sent me ? A computer written generic note with my membership saying thanks for being a 20 year member, and a sew-on cotton patch that says “20 year member” that’s about the size of a 20cent piece.

It was actually the lamest thing ever. How many 20 year members do you think they have each year?

Why not a special match day experience, go into club rooms etc. signed footy from the Bont ?

It was quite symbolic for me of just how badly this club is run right now.

Do you know what the club sent me ? A computer written generic note with my membership saying thanks for being a 20 year member, and a sew-on cotton patch that says “20 year member” that’s about the size of a 20cent piece.

It was actually the lamest thing ever. How many 20 year members do you think they have each year?

Why not a special match day experience, go into club rooms etc. signed footy from the Bont ?

You get the same for 40 yrs.

If l could go back in time.l would arrive at 1976 round 22.With an almanac.And instructions to keep all players.
Quinlan,Round, Stoneham,Huppatz,Low just to name a few.As that was the critical moment of the clubs self destruction.Didnt recover to 1984 for a short burst.
I plead for all the current hierarchy to revisit that time .And learn from it.
If players aren't happy.Listen to the players.FIX it by any means.
I don't want to revisit round 22 1976 again.And watch what could have been.

I think the patch and the letter is a nice gesture, at the end of the day you pay for the perks of your membership, and get the perks in return. Neither owes the other anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back