Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re right about the spine but one problem - each of our premiership spine (excluding Roughead) played VFL in the same year.

Cordy, Boyd, Roberts and Hamling.

Meanwhile Sydney won a flag with LRT and Reid as KPFs with Goodes on one leg pinch hitting but then didn’t when they brought in Tippett and Buddy.

We have some cracking KPPs now but I’ve always believed games were won and lost in the midfield. Right now we have an exceptional starting midfield (which is aging quickly) then a big drop.

We need to turn our attention there asap. Sanders and Gallagher help but it’s been neglected for a long time.
I totally agree that its a midfielders/running game now. I would take it a step further and say apart from key positions players they all need to run and pressure.
I would argue that we don't have an exceptional starting midfield. Against the best of the best for the last two years our midfield has been soundly beaten.
Bont = A grade. The rest are over-rated by our own supporters. None of them cover the ground or are explosive enough. Libba gives his all and cracks in yet does have limitations. Treloar is an offensive runner first. Macrae can't cover the ground at the speed required.

We need fresh blood in there. Richards is a great start and a step in the right direction. Yet more is needed and we must continue to draft onballers and quick onballers (including wingers and flankers).

Its our only chance to capitalise on having Naughts, Jamarra, Darcy, Jones and some help in the key positions.

I totally agree that its a midfielders/running game now. I would take it a step further and say apart from key positions players they all need to run and pressure.
I would argue that we don't have an exceptional starting midfield. Against the best of the best for the last two years our midfield has been soundly beaten.
Bont = A grade. The rest are over-rated by our own supporters. None of them cover the ground or are explosive enough. Libba gives his all and cracks in yet does have limitations. Treloar is an offensive runner first. Macrae can't cover the ground at the speed required.

We need fresh blood in there. Richards is a great start and a step in the right direction. Yet more is needed and we must continue to draft onballers and quick onballers (including wingers and flankers).

Its our only chance to capitalise on having Naughts, Jamarra, Darcy, Jones and some help in the key positions.
I think Bont, Libba and Treloar are a very strong trio, but they aren’t helped by Tim giving ground in the ruck a fair bit and Bont’s been hampered.

Macrae is depth now and then it falls away badly. In 2021 we had Smith, Lipinski and Dunkley as younger mids coming through but in all likelihood the last one will be gone without playing another game for us. We have had a limited draft hand but we haven’t really done much about restocking (till Sanders).

Bevo must go. Grant must go. Baines is being underutilized (big projects such as the WO redevelopment are done). He can take on Grant's role. Egan can stay in his current role.

The above will free up massive cash to put together the best possible footy department.

Plz post your research!

For all Dalrymple's hits, we had some huge holes left on the list when he left.
Hope this works.
I have just done the Dalrymple years as a start. horrific start except for Picken but he did improve greatly. Father sons helped and the players he could have preferably chosen are only my opinion as bettter options. Will post similar table for Austin and Milesi although i think it is too early to make assumptions on alternative choices for Milesi
YearPickPlayerPickPlayer Missed
15​
Christian Howard
20​
Nathan Fyfe
31​
Jason Tutt
24​
Jake Carlisle
63​
Lucas Markovic
38​
Sam Reid
76​
Shane Thorne
69​
Taylor Duryea
86​
Liam Picken
76​
Stewart Crameri
92​
James Mulligan
86​
Ashton Hams
22​
Mitch Wallis
41​
Tom Liberatore
74​
Jayden Schofield
88​
Zephaniah Skinner
76​
Paul Seedsman
89​
Tom Hill
102​
Brodie Moles
110​
Andrew Hooper
2011​
17​
Clay Smith
39​
Michael Talia
49​
Daniel Pearce
56​
Lachie Neale
57​
Tory Dickson
70​
Luke Dahlhaus
73​
Matthew Panos
2012​
5​
Jake Stringer
6​
Jackson Macrae
21​
Nathan Hrovat
49​
Lachie Hunter
50​
Joshua Prudden
81​
Rory Atkins
98​
Tom Campbell
105​
Jason Johannisen
2013​
4​
Marcus Bontempelli
42​
Matthew Fuller
47​
Ben Brown
60​
Mitch Honeychurch
84​
Brett Goodes
2014​
26​
Toby McLean
29​
Touk Miller
27​
Lukas Webb
30​
Brayden Maynard
39​
Declan Hamilton
50​
Marc Pittonet
45​
Bailey Dale
46​
Caleb Daniel
62​
Zaine Cordy
2015​
25​
Josh Dunkley
55​
Sam Collins
26​
Kieran Collins
66​
Sam Menegola
35​
Marcus Adams
48​
Bailey Williams
YearPickPlayerPickPlayer Missed
2016​
19​
Tim English
29​
Shai Bolton
28​
Patrick Lipinski
52​
Willie Rioli
49​
Lewis Young
73​
Nick Larkey
70​
Fergus Greene
76​
Mitchell Lewis
2017​
9​
Aaron Naughton
76​
Matt Guelfi
16​
Ed Richards
74​
Callum Porter

Milesi's drafts
YearPickPlayerPickPreferred player
2020​
1​
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
55​
Dominic Bedendo
2021​
2​
Sam Darcy
43​
Arthur Jones
61​
Luke Cleary
2022​
13​
Jed Busslinger
24​
Charlie Clark
39​
Harvey Gallagher
2023​
6​
Rhyley Sanders
15​
Jordan Croft
45​
Joel Freijah
47​
Lachlan Smith
55​
Aiden O'Driscoll

Austin's draft selections
YearPickPlayerPickPreferred player
2018​
7​
Bailey Smith
65​
Darcy Fort
26​
Rhylee West
37​
Laitham Vandermeer
45​
Ben Cavarra
78​
Will Hayes
2019​
15​
Cody Weightman
53​
Louis Butler
62​
Riley Garcia

My thoughts - preferred players to Cavarra and Hayes would be Lachie Schulz (pick 57), Connor Idun (pick 61), Callum Wilkie (rookie pick 2), or Jordon Butts (rookie pick 39). Preferred player to Butler would be Michael Frederick at pick 61.

On a quick glance there aren't too many "shoulda picked" options in the right hand columns for any of our drafters.

All drafters miss a few. The fact that some of those players who became guns after a few years were late picks just means that every other drafter missed them too.

Darcy Fort? Not losing any sleep over that one. And the comments on Shai Bolton were "will he make it?" for a couple of years before he finally became a star. Hard to blame anyone for missing out there.

Or is that too simplistic? What else do those tables tell us?

Bevo must go. Grant must go. Baines is being underutilized (big projects such as the WO redevelopment are done). He can take on Grant's role. Egan can stay in his current role.

The above will free up massive cash to put together the best possible footy department.

hmm, in all this I hadnt considered the cash aspect, but yeah....

bring in some lean and hungry types with something to prove, and some extra coaches.

Dalrymple’s shortcoming early was talls. Didn’t bite the billet often enough and Fuller over Brown was egregious, considering how dire our KPPs were at that point. He did well later on with English, Adams, Naughton and Young.

On a quick glance there aren't too many "shoulda picked" options in the right hand columns for any of our drafters.

All drafters miss a few. The fact that some of those players who became guns after a few years were late picks just means that every other drafter missed them too.

Darcy Fort? Not losing any sleep over that one. And the comments on Shai Bolton were "will he make it?" for a couple of years before he finally became a star. Hard to blame anyone for missing out there.

Tables tell that we've massively underutilised the draft since 2016 and held onto players for a year or two too long when it was clear they wouldn't make it. Between 17-22 we never took more than 3 young players in a draft

on another note, last year I became a 20 year western bulldogs member.

Do you know what the club sent me ? A computer written generic note with my membership saying thanks for being a 20 year member, and a sew-on cotton patch that says “20 year member” that’s about the size of a 20cent piece.

It was actually the lamest thing ever. How many 20 year members do you think they have each year?

Why not a special match day experience, go into club rooms etc. signed footy from the Bont ?

It was quite symbolic for me of just how badly this club is run right now.
Of all the things you can ding the club for right now.

This has to be one of the lamest.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on another note, last year I became a 20 year western bulldogs member.

Do you know what the club sent me ? A computer written generic note with my membership saying thanks for being a 20 year member, and a sew-on cotton patch that says “20 year member” that’s about the size of a 20cent piece.

It was actually the lamest thing ever. How many 20 year members do you think they have each year?

Why not a special match day experience, go into club rooms etc. signed footy from the Bont ?

It was quite symbolic for me of just how badly this club is run right now.
When I was a kid, kids would say, “Whaddya want, a medal or a chest to pin it on?”

But I’m not a kid 😉

Tigers development program is pretty elite

Don't think Bolton would have hit his standards under ours

What makes Tigers development pretty elite compared to the program at the Kennel?

Facilities?
Money spent?
Personnel?

If you could comment would be appreciated

Tigers program was definitely elite during that period in particular.

With Bolton, I feel like it was more great drafting than great development (although every with every good player its probably close to a 50/50 mixture of both). I didn't see any of his VFL games in the early years but in the few AFL games it just looked like he had it. He has gone on to be a far greater player than I expected but there was always the look of an A grade small forward.

Obviously during that period Hardwick rated the defensive skills of his small forwards more than offensive skills and it took a while to get past Butler, Rioli and Castagna in the pecking order but once he did he never looked back. I think he would've been a really good player wherever he started.

Tables tell that we've massively underutilised the draft since 2016 and held onto players for a year or two too long when it was clear they wouldn't make it. Between 17-22 we never took more than 3 young players in a draft
Holding on too long has been an issue a long time (ie giving Schache 3 years but recruiting Bruce, who forced him out, at the same damn time).

Now we have Baker and Poulter entrenched in the twos with contracts for next year…

Holding on too long has been an issue a long time (ie giving Schache 3 years but recruiting Bruce, who forced him out, at the same damn time).

Now we have Baker and Poulter entrenched in the twos with contracts for next year…
Scott also contracted for next year and looks miles off a spot in the team.

It’s also blokes like Bedendo and Cleary that have been on the list 3-4 years and haven’t made a dent that we should be a bit more cut throat with and delist rather than keep until they’re 24.

At least we’ve got our ruck position locked in for a couple years even if Lobb and English go:

IMG_0194.jpeg

Some of those years were the COVID years where kids were not playing.

Scott also contracted for next year and looks miles off a spot in the team.

It’s also blokes like Bedendo and Cleary that have been on the list 3-4 years and haven’t made a dent that we should be a bit more cut throat with and delist rather than keep until they’re 24.

At least we’ve got our ruck position locked in for a couple years even if Lobb and English go:

View attachment 1976857
At Scott’s age, and given his standing (ie handy fringe player) he should really be year to year. No reason he should have a deal for next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back