Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not saying we played particularly well.
But seriously, the different application of rules has become a marked problem for us. Had the rules been applied fairly we win despite having a down day, but they weren’t so we lost.

The big clubs win because when they have a down day, they still typically get the rub of the green enough to get over the line.

The only way to stop it is to push back. We should be complaining bitterly rather than self destructing.
Even if I agree that we had a bad run with the umps, surely it is never so blatantly one-sided that it really only be viewed as worth more than a goal or two at best. For example, possession out of the centre bounce (e.g a ruck infringement) is "worth" a tad over a point itself.

Could you imagine the chaos and meltdown this thread would have if he was moved on and won a flag elsewhere. It would be biblical
He will very likely get another gig. He will definitely coach a win against us that makes us implode.

Happily a lot of premiership coaches struggle at their next club (Clarko, Malthouse, Pagan, Worsfold).

If he took another club to repeat top four finishes and a flag this place would be Chernobyl.

He'll win his second premiership against us from 8th just to spite us ahahahaha

The President's role is to make sure the club is financially strong and to chair board meetings. The executive are there to run the club and report to the board inclusive of football operations.

Not sure you have noticed we have never been financially stronger and like most President's these days they let those from the executive do the talking
No you've glossed over it. The President is there to make sure we deliver on all the aims of the club (objectives, reason for existence, whatever you want to call them). Full time executives and their staff are there in certain roles like CEO, CFO etc to support those objectives.

Has football success dropped off the objectives list? I thought that was the main reason for the existence of the club that she is president of. Please don't try to tell me that's not part of the President's responsibility. The buck stops with her.

To me it seems like we may be going gangbusters on financial performance but have forgotten that we exist to play and excel at football.

It has become almost the opposite of the 1960s-80s where we neglected financial excellence and only concentrated on footy. That was disastrous and set us back decades. You've got to have both and you can't succeed unless you pursue excellence in both. The board, headed by the President is responsible for making them happen through their appointed execs and leaders.

I'm a big of a defender as anyone Prof but if you're going to claim umpiring as being out of our control, you have to also claim Hawthorn's poor goalkicking as out of our control too. Hawks missed a few relatively easy set shots (and we nailed basically all of our easy ones). Realistically Hawks should have actually kicked three or four more than they did and the likes of English, Naughton and Vandermeer kicking straight when all have wobbled in the past probably gave us a bonus goal or two as well.
Not saying that we played particularly well or that we don’t have problems that we need to address.
Just saying we lost another close game where we copped a very raw deal.

Had we been treated more fairly or win loss record and ladder position could be very different indeed.

I buy a family membership. I won't renew next year if there's no changes.
I was yet to renew this year, had a major change in circumstances which made it a pretty frivolous expense if I did buy one. Been dodging the membership departments calls all year because I didn’t wanna make that hard call yet, but on Friday I finally answered. I didn’t renew this year

Even if I agree that we had a bad run with the umps, surely it is never so blatantly one-sided that it really only be viewed as worth more than a goal or two at best. For example, possession out of the centre bounce (e.g a ruck infringement) is "worth" a tad over a point itself.
Couldn’t disagree more, most times it is far more influential than just a goal or two.

If the umpires had finally decided to penalise Hawthorn for blatantly holding the ball in and wasting time in the last minute, then that would be worth a goal.

How many times did they get away with holding our key players off the ball, how many times does that happen during a game?

What happens as a result of such decisions. You get penalised you back off, like we tend to do. You get away with things you keep doing them.

It can be a massive difference and is largely responsible for the difference in the home and away performances of interstate teams. That difference is much larger than a goal or two.

Blaming the umps for a 7 point loss against the Hawks is proper delusional. This team gets beat up every week, we kicked 3 goals in the space of like 2 mins then got ruffled when they kicked 2 and dropped the heads.

It's not the umps here, it's the weak mentality stemming from the players, the board and obviously the coach that's the problem with this footy club at the moment. That's why we have losses like this

ITKs we need you now more than ever
Nothing happening for a while from what I get told unless a major backers pushes the agenda

The next 5 games are tough so that's our make or break for the season

Always been to get to mid season and review from there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing happening for a while from what I get told unless a major backers pushes the agenda

Whle obviously not the news we want to hear thanks for keeping us in the loop the bets you guys can, very frustrating that not a lot of change will come out of this loss. I think if we were a bigger club in this position we would of heard news of a crisis meeting set for this week but as we now our club is too small club minded to do something like that.

That run of opposition till the bye though is scary but watch Bevo somehow pull one or two upsets and the board keep him

Couldn’t disagree more, most times it is far more influential than just a goal or two.

If the umpires had finally decided to penalise Hawthorn for blatantly holding the ball in and wasting time in the last minute, then that would be worth a goal.

How many times did they get away with holding our key players off the ball, how many times does that happen during a game?

What happens as a result of such decisions. You get penalised you back off, like we tend to do. You get away with things you keep doing them.

It can be a massive difference and is largely responsible for the difference in the home and away performances of interstate teams. That difference is much larger than a goal or two.

Given all the stupid s**t we’ve had to hear from other club’s supporters (particularly Sydney) since 2016 about umpires I’m surprised this would be used as an excuse by anyone on this board. Umpiring absolutely impacts on key moments in the game, but it’d be rare that it would be the determining factor in the result.

As others have said, the hawks missed a few gilt-edged chances and the margin could’ve been greater.

Bottom line is we should be beating the ******* hawks at Marvel. And actually beating them comfortably. That it was an arm wrestle was embarrassing enough, let alone that we actually lost.

That sums up where football sits in the scheme of things.

I'm not saying which is the right course of action right now, but if the sponsors are dictating or vetoing direction on operational or tactical issues to the club we're already on the slippery slope.

But hey, we're making great profits!

I'm not saying which is the right course of action right now, but if the sponsors are dictating or vetoing direction on operational or tactical issues to the club we're already on the slippery slope.

Iirc Peter Gordon also had to deal with something like this a few times during his reign

Mainly just the bigger members investments wanting to ensure the club path is on the right way

I do remember him hosting like 10 of the top dogs one year when we had crisis talks to ease their minds and get suggestions

Emotions aside, what realistically is the alternative? There is no benefit to absolutely anyone to have an interim coach coach 15 games of footy, especially when despite the loss finals is per prediction models not completely zero chance (still remains about 1/4 or 25% chance.)

I'm as disappointed as anyone and can see the merits on a fresh face as coach but we're neither having an interim coach for greater than half the year nor should we completely give up on a season in which a non-zero chance of a competitive finals series exists.

Emotions aside, what realistically is the alternative? There is no benefit to absolutely anyone to have an interim coach coach 15 games of footy, especially when despite the loss finals is per prediction models not completely zero chance (still remains about 1/4 or 25% chance.)

I'm as disappointed as anyone and can see the merits on a fresh face as coach but we're neither having an interim coach for greater than half the year nor should we completely give up on a season in which a non-zero chance of a competitive finals series exists.
The players look to have given up so why shouldn't anyone else

Given all the stupid s**t we’ve had to hear from other club’s supporters (particularly Sydney) since 2016 about umpires I’m surprised this would be used as an excuse by anyone on this board. Umpiring absolutely impacts on key moments in the game, but it’d be rare that it would be the determining factor in the result.

As others have said, the hawks missed a few gilt-edged chances and the margin could’ve been greater.

Bottom line is we should be beating the ******* hawks at Marvel. And actually beating them comfortably. That it was an arm wrestle was embarrassing enough, let alone that we actually lost.
It’s things like the complaints from Sydney fans, that have had an impact. It doesn’t matter that they were wrong.

We need to start complaining more bitterly, if we ever want to get a better deal.

If we get a better deal from officials then we are 2 or 3 wins better off and our season’s prospects look very different.

Blaming the umps for a 7 point loss against the Hawks is proper delusional. This team gets beat up every week, we kicked 3 goals in the space of like 2 mins then got ruffled when they kicked 2 and dropped the heads.

It's not the umps here, it's the weak mentality stemming from the players, the board and obviously the coach that's the problem with this footy club at the moment. That's why we have losses like this

So you agree the team gets beat up every week but you don’t think the umpiring is a problem?

Why do teams beat us up? Because they get away with it!

Our home crowds are starting to drop off significantly, yesterday was our lowest home crowd against Hawthorn since 2012 with just 29,555, we got 40,119 last year for the same match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back