Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our home crowds are starting to drop off significantly, yesterday was our lowest home crowd against Hawthorn since 2012 with just 29,555, we got 40,119 last year for the same match.

last year was Bont’s milestone and Hawks replacement game to be fair. Also on a Saturday afternoon.

Our home crowds are starting to drop off significantly, yesterday was our lowest home crowd against Hawthorn since 2012 with just 29,555, we got 40,119 last year for the same match.

And here we have one of the ways the executive might finally start taking notice.

Yesterday was a Hawks replacement game as well, regardless though it was still our lowest home crowd against Hawthorn since 2012, not a good look.

Our Hawthorn average is 32190 at home. Given the timeslot it wasn’t far off.

But make no mistake, yes, crowds will dip the way the Dogs are going. As well as membership.

But I think you will find what you read here and on social media takes longer for it to take effect towards people in general. Not that we are fickle, we just express more up and down. (not sure how to word this)

So you agree the team gets beat up every week but you don’t think the umpiring is a problem?

Why do teams beat us up? Because they get away with it!
Having a marshmallow ruckman filters down through the list like Covid through a rave.
Only 2 players we have with any go are Libba and Bont. VDM is a plastic annoying pest. The rest are cheap toilet paper.

Emotions aside, what realistically is the alternative? There is no benefit to absolutely anyone to have an interim coach coach 15 games of footy, especially when despite the loss finals is per prediction models not completely zero chance (still remains about 1/4 or 25% chance.)

I'm as disappointed as anyone and can see the merits on a fresh face as coach but we're neither having an interim coach for greater than half the year nor should we completely give up on a season in which a non-zero chance of a competitive finals series exists.
Yeah there is no point (unless the dam wall breaks and we start getting flogged every week).

No one is coming in to take the reins midseason and running 2/3 of the season with a smaller coaching staff helps no one.

Once it’s clear the season is over (mathematically, not just feeling) then you can make the longer term decisions, including the coach.

Hey all, obviously a difficult time after your loss tonight but I thought you might appreciate and outsiders perspective. Just reading this board it seems like Bevo is unfairly blamed for a lot of the issues with your team when to me it really is a personnel issue. I think you have 2nd worst backline in the competition, the only team that is worse is Norf. This whole mentality that Bevo is "crazy" and has "s**t selection" and that if you get a new coach everything will be sweet is fools gold. You all need to have a look at yourselves and the kool aid you spew up on this board. Your list is average, massively overrated by the media and Bevo can only work with what he has. Seriously have a look at your backline and tell me that if you put that into any of the top 8 teams they'd be playing as well as they are.
You mean the backline that Bevo selected and developed and the list that he is responsible for coaching.

He will very likely get another gig. He will definitely coach a win against us that makes us implode.

Happily a lot of premiership coaches struggle at their next club (Clarko, Malthouse, Pagan, Worsfold).

If he took another club to repeat top four finishes and a flag this place would be Chernobyl.
The only clubs that would possibly give him a gig would be the likes of St Kilda or North.

Most probable will be that he follows in the shoes of Choco Williams and doesn't coach again.

Hey all, obviously a difficult time after your loss tonight but I thought you might appreciate and outsiders perspective. Just reading this board it seems like Bevo is unfairly blamed for a lot of the issues with your team when to me it really is a personnel issue. I think you have 2nd worst backline in the competition, the only team that is worse is Norf. This whole mentality that Bevo is "crazy" and has "s**t selection" and that if you get a new coach everything will be sweet is fools gold. You all need to have a look at yourselves and the kool aid you spew up on this board. Your list is average, massively overrated by the media and Bevo can only work with what he has. Seriously have a look at your backline and tell me that if you put that into any of the top 8 teams they'd be playing as well as they are.
Thanks for caring but it's not a matter of drinking kool aid, the whole side are underperforming, every line. The backline are a bunch of less touted players and we don't overrate them but the efforts further up field contribute to the pressure on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only clubs that would possibly give him a gig would be the likes of St Kilda or North.

Most probable will be that he follows in the shoes of Choco Williams and doesn't coach again.
I think given time he will. Might need to bide his time but it will happen. If RTB and Brad Scott got another go it will definitely happen for Bevo. Both of those guys stayed too long and didn’t win a flag. Still got back into it after a few years.

People will forget a few underachieving seasons before long. When you’re trying to sell hope to supporters a flag coach goes a long way.

I think given time he will. Might need to bide his time but it will happen. If RTB and Brad Scott got another go it will definitely happen for Bevo. Both of those guys stayed too long and didn’t win a flag. Still got back into it after a few years.

People will forget a few underachieving seasons before long. When you’re trying to sell hope to supporters a flag coach goes a long way.
Possible.
But for me Bevo's on a par with Adam Simpson. I don't think clubs will want either.

I don't think clubs will touch him in a senior role. There are way too many red flags.

He's definitely much more suited to an assistant role these days where he doesn't have as much autocracy and can develop individual relationships with players.

Possible.
But for me Bevo's on a par with Adam Simpson. I don't think clubs will want either.
I think we have to give Bevo some credit here. Simpson has not just underdelivered post flag - he’s turned them into Fitzroy. They’re in different universes at the moment.

And I still wouldn’t be surprised to see Simpson get another gig.

I don't think clubs will touch him in a senior role. There are way too many red flags.

He's definitely much more suited to an assistant role these days where he doesn't have as much autocracy and can develop individual relationships with players.
If Ratten, B Scott, Lyon and Voss all got another go, Bevo absolutely will if he wants one. Footy moves on quick.

A caretaker coach has the potential to do a number of things, not saying they will

• shake up, re-energise the playing list
  • result in some experimentation and allow change
  • give hope to supporters and increase engagement
  • the caretaker might be great and get the job
  • turn the season around and make a run to the finals
  • keep some players that might have left under Bevo, or get rid of some he would have kept

The reason we do well under Bevo, is partly because we get there the hard way, but once we are there the bias evens out a bit, plus we are kind of used to it and refuse to throw in the towel.

His rotations and player positioning are simply mind boggling.. Why put Richards on the 1/2 forward line when he's a valuable 1/2 back flanker. JoD, khamis, and JJ were getting killed on the backline with the usual savior Jones trying all he could. Then putting Bont on the bench again with minutes to go, Macrae's TOG was around 65%

He has overall influence on player selection, he's stuck his nose in trading/drafting in the past, see Gowers, and still has problems with understanding the limitations of his list.

Time to throw caution to the wind… Drop a few of the big headed egos that are purely going through the motions and bring in a few of yesterday’s VFL winners that are keen to throw their all at the game..
Buss, Sanders, Freijah, even Croft..
Sick to the back teeth of these overpaid sloths that are seemingly guaranteed their spot each week playing with zero passion or desire!
We’re all laying the boots into the coach, the gameplan, the board, even the bloody umpires, when the REAL issue is the soft, sloppy, mistake ridden playing list!

Trying to blame umpiring for yesterdays performance or our overall performance this year is a fools errand.

We lack any sort of off field leadership at the moment. KWW, Bains, Grant, Bevo all need to be moved on.

Serious question what is Peter Gordon up to these days?

Time to throw caution to the wind… Drop a few of the big headed egos that are purely going through the motions and bring in a few of yesterday’s VFL winners that are keen to throw their all at the game..
Buss, Sanders, Freijah, even Croft..
Sick to the back teeth of these overpaid sloths that are seemingly guaranteed their spot each week playing with zero passion or desire!
We’re all laying the boots into the coach, the gameplan, the board, even the bloody umpires, when the REAL issue is the soft, sloppy, mistake ridden playing list!
Isn't Bevo responsible for the playing list and its performance?

Trying to blame umpiring for yesterdays performance or our overall performance this year is a fools errand.

We lack any sort of off field leadership at the moment. KWW, Bains, Grant, Bevo all need to be moved on.

Serious question what is Peter Gordon up to these days?
Umpires deffinetly can't be blamed for the loss but at the same time the quality of Umpiring all year has been horrendous, the introduction of another Umpire has done more harm then good. Bringing in less qualified umpires and giving umpires further away from the action more power to overturn the Umpire with a better view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back