Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

The club obviously wanted Leppitsch in the Egan role. I’m not surprised if they came away from that thinking that if Bevo goes that Leppitsch would be a strong hire. The line of communication is already well established with him.

It’s obviously objective fact that he stunk first time around at Brisbane. But so did Voss. So if Bevo goes and we get through a proper hiring process with the best candidates and he comes out ahead of the others, I’d be fine with that.
Voss was actually a decent coach with good results until he started to play fantasy footy with the list. Leppa stunk it up completely.

Ok, let's accept that your telling of events is the correct one.

If you actually accept my telling of events, that he just wanted AFL games and not specifically midfield minutes, then you can’t immediately say

So It was always going to be an incredibly tough injury free midfield to crack and at the time for all his obvious potential he was a bit vanilla and wasn't standing out from the other fringe mids and demanding first crack at it.

On this part:

Take a look at the sides that played during that ill fated finals run. By that point for the most part all the fringe players who'd rotated in and out of the side in the months before like Garcia, McNeil and Lipinsiki were no longer in the side. Only Scott and VDM were still on its very fringes and the former was dropped and the latter was relegated to sub in the GF.

Id argue that Scott was a more reliable option at the time and that VDM offered the same illusory thing that he's always offered much needed pace.

If he was just dropped for the GF, fair enough. But he effectively had a line drawn through him for the second half of the season. Meanwhile Scott (e.g.) has rapidly become the definition of a list clogger.

The main question to ask anyway regarding Lipinski is who's spot in our team does he take now and significantly improve? He hasn't gotten any quicker and still shirks contests frequently

He’s playing every week and performing in a far better side as a half forward/wing/mid while we’re utilising a revolving door every week in those roles. I find the idea he wouldn’t easily crack and improve our 23 bizarre at this point.

If he was just dropped for the GF, fair enough. But he effectively had a line drawn through him for the second half of the season.

Treloar and Dunkley were injured for a healthy chunk of those games as well and he still couldn't get a sniff

Whoever coaches us going forward, be it Bevo, Leppa, Hansen etc. I hope they're watching the Cats vs Port game and seeing what Port are doing to Stewart. Actually putting time into him.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Doing a job on him, for sure.

Have to admit I'm loving it - he's in your face when he's beating you, but sooks it up when he's on the receiving end.

Don't be surprised if there's some big board overhaul this year, including president.

Things are brewing and the board isn't all on the same page as to where the club currently sits.

Remember that in 2018 we had a member forum + livestream. Members attending could ask questions at either Gordon, Baines or Bevo. They were grilling Ballarat, how they missed finals in 2017, recruitment etc.

Could you imagine how that would go this year? would be so entertaining though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as far as I'm aware.
Luke Darcy pushing for significant change, he is the driving force who wants a complete overhaul.
He's one of Bevo's biggest supporters isn't he?

NTTAWWT. It would just be interesting to know what he thinks is broken and how he'd like to change things for the better. Maybe he thinks the Bevo issue isn't central to it?

He's one of Bevo's biggest supporters isn't he?

NTTAWWT. It would just be interesting to know what he thinks is broken and how he'd like to change things for the better. Maybe he thinks the Bevo issue isn't central to it?
Most certainly a ''wait and see'' - although I am lead to believe that he is not the biggest Bevo supporter anymore.

One thing I think it pays to keep in mind is that even people that are seen as underperforming still have the best interest of the club at heart.

They are trying to do what is best but perhaps their best isn’t always good enough.

One thing I think it pays to keep in mind is that even people that are seen as underperforming still have the best interest of the club at heart.

They are trying to do what is best but perhaps their best isn’t always good enough.
I have never doubted this but it's a good point and worth re-stating. Also that "underperforming" is relative. Most players, coaches, executives and board members operate at a level of competence most of us can only dream of.

I don't know much about the workings of the FFC Board. However as a general observation the key to successful renewal is usually in recognising when your time is up. That there are others who should be given their chance.

It is sometimes an ego thing but I reckon it's more often just dogged self-belief that gets in the way. For driven achievers it can be hard to recognise and accept that somebody else can now offer more. I'm sure they all love the club and want the best for it.

This applies whether you are a player, a coach, an executive or a board member.

I hate to contradict but KWW is incredibly highly rated. Won’t be leaving as far as I’m aware. Was a bees dick away from being CEO of the AFL last year.

I know people have their issues with her but it’s those around her who may require a shuffle.

I'd hope that he would never put his son in that position.
It’s one of many reasons why there should be 3 football experts on the board. That is the core reason for the clubs existence, yet there is such lack of real football knowledge and wisdom on our board.
When Hawthorn had Dermott and Dunstall on their board it turned out pretty good for them.
Who would be other candidates? Easton Wood? Mitch Wallis? Steve Wallis? Paul Dimmatina? Scott Wynd is a very very successful businessman. There would be many others no doubt.

It’s one of many reasons why there should be 3 football experts on the board. That is the core reason for the clubs existence, yet there is such lack of real football knowledge and wisdom on our board.
When Hawthorn had Dermott and Dunstall on their board it turned out pretty good for them.
Who would be other candidates? Easton Wood? Mitch Wallis? Steve Wallis? Paul Dimmatina? Scott Wynd is a very very successful businessman. There would be many others no doubt.
I’d love to see Will Minson brought on in a development board role. Intelligent and has an excellent EQ. Really driven to see the club succeed when he was with us.

Surely Luke couldn’t survive a loss tonight, there’s just no way… I think we’ll win comfortably though and the show will roll on

I don’t love the idea of having an interim coach for so long but fact is we are tactically inept right now, we’d be close to the worst coached team in the league even my 8yo son turned to me last week and asked why we’re not matching up the spare? It’s having such a major effect on this team.

Mitchell would have been licking his lips watching our 2nd best defender run off half forward to not get used on the contest, Hardwick (Richard’s opponent) would let him go & stroll over to man Marra and Sicily would drop off to play loose. And we wonder why we can’t create space in side 50 when we go out of our way to free up one of the best loose defenders in the comp? We wouldn’t even use the extra with forward hands we’d kick it over his head anyway what’s the point ?

What coach couldn’t see how much this was killing us when my ******* 8yo kid can ?

So this harms our forward entries but what else does it harm? Forward pressure and Stopping offensive transition. Giving the opposition an extra player before the ball hits the ground means they clear the danger easily with the free player, they then use the overlap to create the next overlap as they freely move it down the field and we scramble to get back and cover the extra, tearing apart our zone all the way down the field. No wonder we can’t lock the ball in we’re playing a man down when it comes in quick!!! It’s like the training drills from the 90s, two tacklers in the middle and 3 blokes handballing it around the outside and you could never get them because of the extra. Doesn’t matter what pressure fwds we have down there they’re not beating a spare man!

Worst part about it is we kept doing it until the final bounce, it’s genuinely crazy. Can anyone tell me another team still using this outdated tactic? I can think of one - Melbourne, but they have a defensive game plan and hold their defensive line deeper so they don’t mind the ball coming in because they don’t get sucked into losing their structure

Last edited:
Not as far as I'm aware.
Luke Darcy pushing for significant change, he is the driving force who wants a complete overhaul.

Entire board should stand down including Darcy

Get a strong football person in to overhaul the place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back