Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Beating up on genuinely bad teams is at least a positive, so let’s have a good week. Plus we’re getting GWS at a great time as well.

But we’re 50/50 or substantially worse in the next five games. Even going 2-3 (which I think would be decent) leaves us at 6-8 going into the bye, after which I struggle to see more than a few wins unless the standard of performance is better and more consistent.

But if the team have found something, then it’s not quite the murderer’s row of a fixture we once thought (Sydney aside). Interesting month or two ahead.

Beating up on genuinely bad teams is at least a positive, so let’s have a good week. Plus we’re getting GWS at a great time as well.

But we’re 50/50 or substantially worse in the next five games. Even going 2-3 (which I think would be decent) leaves us at 6-8 going into the bye, after which I struggle to see more than a few wins unless the standard of performance is better and more consistent.

But if the team have found something, then it’s not quite the murderer’s row of a fixture we once thought (Sydney aside). Interesting month or two ahead.
Let's not forget Richmond beat Sydney by 5 points so we go into that game with the line at -96 points.

All the games after next week are at Marvel so definitely should go in with confidence.

Sydney, Collingwood and Brisbane I wouldn't expect to win at their home ground, but at Marvel we should give ourselves serious chances.

I don't think anyone in this comp are at the level that you would be genuinely scared of. Comp is much more even than it used to be

Let's not forget Richmond beat Sydney by 5 points so we go into that game with the line at -96 points.

WC beat Richmond by 39 and we beat those two by 76 and 91 respectively - which basically franks that form.

So if you’re willing to give me Sydney +95.5 when we play them at $1.91 then let me know 👍

Even if it’s Sydney +59.5 I’ll entertain it.

WC beat Richmond by 39 and we beat those two by 76 and 91 respectively - which basically franks that form.

So if you’re willing to give me Sydney +95.5 when we play them at $1.91 then let me know 👍

Even if it’s Sydney +59.5 I’ll entertain it.
Yeah I'm obviously taking the piss, more the point that weird things happen and you can never be certain of a result no matter how far up against it you appear.

Not that I disagree with your post I was responding to, based on our recent form and the draw I'm not betting we come away with a positive win-loss ratio.

Yeah I'm obviously taking the piss, more the point that weird things happen and you can never be certain of a result no matter how far up against it you appear.

Not that I disagree with your post I was responding to, based on our recent form and the draw I'm not betting we come away with a positive win-loss ratio.

Yeah, I know. Nothing’s certain and there are no really elite teams in the comp, but basically all the teams we play in the next five weeks have coherent game plans (even if they execute them poorly on occasion), have more consistent effort and pressure, and have more exposed form at finals level in the last two years than we do.

I’d guess we pull out one win we might not expect, but would be massively surprised if we went any better than 2-3 in the next five.

Talent beats up on bad teams... good coaching beats top 4 teams.
Fair comment. The real test lies ahead. I reckon Bevo and his charges would readily acknowledge that.

The question is, can they bring the same intensity next week?
And if they get behind will they be able to stage a comeback?

On the topic of 'does Bevo coach proactively or reactionary?', what can we look for next week with the Giants?

Toby Greene always the thorn in the side.

Briggs very solid in the ruck.

And as usual Tom Greene owning the midfield.

Bevo qualified last night’s win in the presser twice. Wanted to stress that Richmond are having challenges with injuries and their ‘evolution’. GWS are a different challenge altogether. At the game it felt like the least convincing almost 100 point belting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really think Bevo’s main weakness is selection. I get tactics and changes influence the match and apparently he is a very good motivator. But as much as I’d like to see Buku succeed, and is young and full of ‘potential’, on Thursday night when I seen Keath’s name I thought good, here is a bloke I call Sketchy, with ball in hand, but reliable marking defender that could’ve/would’ve helped us win last week.
When VDM went down last night there was a collective yes! in the largely Bulldogs family fathering we had. Not to wish harm on any kid, but that Bevo would be forced to sub him out, inject Cleary, and Cleary was in the game from the word go.
His selection has been poor, his continuation with ‘out of form’ and ‘never going to make it’ players has been poor. If we could wrestle that aspect from him or turn his brain inside out so he could see his own weaknesses ,we’d be a lot better off and I could put up with him for our next fair dinkum tilt at the flag.

I really think Bevo’s main weakness is selection. I get tactics and changes influence the match and apparently he is a very good motivator. But as much as I’d like to see Buku succeed, and is young and full of ‘potential’, on Thursday night when I seen Keath’s name I thought good, here is a bloke I call Sketchy, with ball in hand, but reliable marking defender that could’ve/would’ve helped us win last week.
When VDM went down last night there was a collective yes! in the largely Bulldogs family fathering we had. Not to wish harm on any kid, but that Bevo would be forced to sub him out, inject Cleary, and Cleary was in the game from the word go.
His selection has been poor, his continuation with ‘out of form’ and ‘never going to make it’ players has been poor. If we could wrestle that aspect from him or turn his brain inside out so he could see his own weaknesses ,we’d be a lot better off and I could put up with him for our next fair dinkum tilt at the flag.
Spot on. It's like the recent moves that have worked (e.g. Ed to midfield, Harmes up forward) have been forced on Bevo.
If we somehow miraculously make finals and Bevo stays we must get someone like Leppitsch as Bevo's boss.

I totally agree that its a midfielders/running game now. I would take it a step further and say apart from key positions players they all need to run and pressure.
I would argue that we don't have an exceptional starting midfield. Against the best of the best for the last two years our midfield has been soundly beaten.
Bont = A grade. The rest are over-rated by our own supporters. None of them cover the ground or are explosive enough. Libba gives his all and cracks in yet does have limitations. Treloar is an offensive runner first. Macrae can't cover the ground at the speed required.

We need fresh blood in there. Richards is a great start and a step in the right direction. Yet more is needed and we must continue to draft onballers and quick onballers (including wingers and flankers).

Its our only chance to capitalise on having Naughts, Jamarra, Darcy, Jones and some help in the key positions.
Disagree. Both Libba and Treloar are A-grade midfielders.

Do you really think that a day out against an injury hit former top team stamps this list as a current top 4 list?
I'm not sure about the top 4, but definitely finals quality. With decent coaching and team selection, we should have made finals last year, and we should have beaten Hawthorn and Geelong so far this season. Our liability is our footy department, not our list (In fact I'm excited by the potential we have over the next 5 years).

Scott also contracted for next year and looks miles off a spot in the team.

It’s also blokes like Bedendo and Cleary that have been on the list 3-4 years and haven’t made a dent that we should be a bit more cut throat with and delist rather than keep until they’re 24.

At least we’ve got our ruck position locked in for a couple years even if Lobb and English go:

View attachment 1976857
Disagree regarding Cleary. Last year he was given only one game by Bevo. I rate Cleary.

Arty Jones was given 13 games!! What a joke.

On the topic of 'does Bevo coach proactively or reactionary?', what can we look for next week with the Giants?

Toby Greene always the thorn in the side.

Briggs very solid in the ruck.

And as usual Tom Greene owning the midfield.
Put time into Whitfield really stifles GWS ball movement. Of course that is partially dependent on limiting their midfield opportunities

I'm not sure about the top 4, but definitely finals quality. With decent coaching and team selection, we should have made finals last year, and we should have beaten Hawthorn and Geelong so far this season. Our liability is our footy department, not our list (In fact I'm excited by the potential we have over the next 5 years).
We can disagree on this. I don't think they were collectively ready last year and I don't think they are this year. We were and still are, to a degree, missing a few pieces that will make a difference.

Richards to the midfield and Freijah help address those deficiencies in terms of pieces but there is also the collective maturity and experience aspect.

Exposure and development of players like that in roles that will benefit the team is a chance of coinciding with the maturity required to be a proper threat.

I'd entertain the idea that we could threaten next year if they recruit what they need to at the end of this season. And I'd definitely entertain the idea in 2026.

If I hear one more person blame our list for our last few crap seasons I'll spew.
It's incredible how any success is because of the players and their talent and any failure is because of the coach and their inability to coach. But it's never the other way round. Funny about that

Disagree regarding Cleary. Last year he was given only one game by Bevo. I rate Cleary.

Arty Jones was given 13 games!! What a joke.

Obviously if a specific player demonstrates competency at AFL level and they’re firmly in best 23 calculations that’s a bit different. Hopefully Cleary does that. I’m not sold on him personally.

The general point is once these players get to 22-23 years old and have spent 4 years on the list and still aren’t getting games it’s time to move them on. Not keep them until they’re 25.

Harsh on Cleary, he’s played a handful of AFL games and has looked composed every time. Once he gets comfortable his strengths will shine, like his speed and disposal efficiency.

He reminds me of a young Nick Blakey from Syd.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back