Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

As a new Dogs fan (fell out of love with the game almost ten years ago and have a mate who is a Dogs fan. Went to the game v Hawks and the Dogs just felt like coming home to me, so here we are 🤷‍♀️) it will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

It used to be that when you had the public backing of the president, we would all laugh and say that was your death knell.

I haven’t been following at all to know the ins and outs of it but Bevo’s role does seem tenuous at best right now, and I feel like anything is possible (in terms of a potential standing down or sacking) going forward

I think there are two scenarios for how this plays out:

1. We continue with our current erratic form and miss the finals again (unfortunately this is the most likely scenario). In this scenario, the options regarding our footy department are:
a. Replace Bevo with the best available external coach (my preferred option under this scenario)
b. Keep Bevo but hire a new head of footy to ensure the footy department is a top quartile outfit in terms of accountability, structure, expertise, etc (an acceptable outcome).
c. The status quo (unacceptable).

2. Against the odds we turn things around and make finals, a la Carlton last year (by far my preferred scenario!). In this scenario, I believe it is unlikely Bevo will go. Therefore it will be either the status quo (most likely) or a new head of footy (my dream outcome).

Conclusion: it is simplistic to frame this as either an anti-Bevo or pro-Bevo argument. It is rather what realistically gives the club the best chance for success over the next 5 years (BTW I am excited about the next 5 years provided the club goes about things the right way).

As a new Dogs fan (fell out of love with the game almost ten years ago and have a mate who is a Dogs fan. Went to the game v Hawks and the Dogs just felt like coming home to me, so here we are 🤷‍♀️) it will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

It used to be that when you had the public backing of the president, we would all laugh and say that was your death knell.

I haven’t been following at all to know the ins and outs of it but Bevo’s role does seem tenuous at best right now, and I feel like anything is possible (in terms of a potential standing down or sacking) going forward

Welcome on board!

Back in the Eighties, I fell out of love with the game (former Tiger supporter as a kid). At that time we bought our first home down the road from the Western Oval. When the entire community rallied to save the club I fell in love with the Doggies. It has been a great ride since.

As a new Dogs fan (fell out of love with the game almost ten years ago and have a mate who is a Dogs fan. Went to the game v Hawks and the Dogs just felt like coming home to me, so here we are ) it will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Welcome to the club!

Obviously we are looking set for the long term given the number of good talls we have coming through. But you do wonder what has been the effect of using a lot of our picks on Jamarra, Darcy and now Croft. We are missing a lot of those second/third rounders that clubs normally rely on to fill out the list.

Welcome aboard! As Bob used to say on AFL360 we are all family on here, some of the cousins get a bit rowdy, and there can be some family rows, but we all love the Dogs, and most of us still love Bevo, we just want to see him succeed.

I’m not unhappy having Bevo rebuild the list.

His record with us shows this is probably his biggest strength.

The hardest part seems to be actually acknowledging that’s where we are and adjusting expectations of the relevant stakeholders from supporters to board members etc

Welcome aboard! As Bob used to say on AFL360 we are all family on here, some of the cousins get a bit rowdy, and there can be some family rows, but we all love the Dogs, and most of us still love Bevo, we just want to see him succeed.
Side note, I see Bob all the time in Fremantle now and he passed me yesterday in South Fremantle on his moped with a big smile on his face. Classic Bob, he suits Fremantle (the city) to a tee.

Last edited:
Obviously we are looking set for the long term given the number of good talls we have coming through. But you do wonder what has been the effect of using a lot of our picks on Jamarra, Darcy and now Croft. We are missing a lot of those second/third rounders that clubs normally rely on to fill out the list.
Nothing comes free, you always pay for it somewhere.

What annoys me is the free pass Collingwood got with Daicos #5 compared to us with Marra #1. Adelaide even said they made us pay pick one because we were interested in a player they wanted and we wouldn’t have the draft capital.

Mind you he has since been delisted, so jokes on you Adelaide.

Nothing comes free, you always pay for it somewhere.

What annoys me is the free pass Collingwood got with Daicos #5 compared to us with Marra #1. Adelaide even said they made us pay pick one because we were interested in a player they wanted and we wouldn’t have the draft capital.

Mind you he has since been delisted, so jokes on you Adelaide.
It annoys me too. I always remember Jack Viney's draft year when GWS had to opportunity to make a bid to make Dees pay a higher price but didn't. The comment from the journalist was " GWS do not owe the rest of the teams any favours."
I think its just the victim complex in me that makes me think we never get breaks like that.

The hardest part seems to be actually acknowledging that’s where we are and adjusting expectations of the relevant stakeholders from supporters to board members etc

my question is how Bont feels having most of his prime spent with our list in a state of being rebuilt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my question is how Bont feels having most of his prime spent with our list in a state of being rebuilt.
Bont hasn't been stuck at a bottom 4 team. There are far more depressing careers than those that have led to 123 wins and 102 losses, and a flag.

Bont hasn't been stuck at a bottom 4 team. There are far more depressing careers than those that have led to 123 wins and 102 losses, and a flag.
And a Grand Final and only missed finals under Bev in 2017, 2018 and 2023. And we are not far away again

We haven’t been rebuilding til this year though imho.

We tried our best with the set up we had and it wasn’t enough so this year has become the first year Bevo has openly been talking in those terms.

As long as everyone is on the same page players, coaches, football department and the board

Supporters react to what is been communicated and communication has been confusing

Nobody wants to get thrashed in a grand final, decline further each year after, then enter a rebuild.

Crows 2017.
Haven't played finals since, and finished dead last with 3 wins (64%) in 2020.

Then of course there's the 10 teams who haven't won a GF since 2004.
(There's also 5 teams who haven't even played in a GF since 2001).

We're not doing too badly.

Rebuilding the list is his biggest strength? He instructs the club to pick up guys like Hayes, McComb, Scott, McNeil, Gardner, Gowers and Lobb and that's supposed to reflect positively on his capacity to rebuild a side?
From where we are?
Luke Beveridge has been at the club for 10 years now, and has had more than ample opportunity to build a quality squad around some of the most talented players the club has ever had. He has failed, and continues to fail. You can hardly blame the recruiters either because we've been one of the most succesful teams with first round selections in the past 12 years.

Beveridge's claim to fame was being a new voice with a fresh set of ideas in a time we needed a new voice with a fresh set of ideas. Players like Jason Johannisen, Matthew Boyd, Easton Wood and Liam Picken went to new levels in his first year at the club, and we immediately transitioned from drab and uninspiring to fast and exciting.

Fast forward to 2024: he is no longer a new voice with a fresh set of ideas, and a rebuilder he is not.

Rebuilding the list is his biggest strength? He instructs the club to pick up guys like Hayes, McComb, Scott, McNeil, Gardner, Gowers and Lobb and that's supposed to reflect positively on his capacity to rebuild a side?

From where we are?
Luke Beveridge has been at the club for 10 years now, and has had more than ample opportunity to build a quality squad around some of the most talented players the club has ever had. He has failed, and continues to fail. You can hardly blame the recruiters either because we've been one of the most succesful teams with first round selections in the past 12 years.

Beveridge's claim to fame was being a new voice with a fresh set of ideas in a time we needed a new voice with a fresh set of ideas. Players like Jason Johannisen, Matthew Boyd, Easton Wood and Liam Picken went to new levels in his first year at the club, and we immediately transitioned from drab and uninspiring to fast and exciting.

Fast forward to 2024: he is no longer a new voice with a fresh set of ideas, and a rebuilder he is not.
Are we considering grand final defeats as coaching failures are we?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back