Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I might be wrong but didn’t fail to beat anyone of note last year? We were a way off in my opinion.

Maybe.
Our overall numbers for the yearwere very good in relation to the rest of the comp, but that doesn't take into account the ease of fixture.
So, it's absolutely plausible that we just had a super easy draw.

Having said that we did beat Brisbane and Carlton, GWS away (and arguably outplayed them in game 2 but lost (which, I understand could be seen as an issue in itself)), and played Collingwood close late in the season, so in a very even year (as shown by the results during the finals) we were as much of a chance as anyone.

But, you're right, we didn't play finals, so we weren't.

Statistics can be used to favour any bias or point of view.

The fact that we lost to Hawks, West Coast and nearly lost to North last year shows that we were miles off.
Yet the Hawks beat the Pies in August who won the flag, so does it really show that

The fact that we lost to Hawks, West Coast and nearly lost to North last year shows that we were miles off.
Normally I wouldn't be this nitpicky but when you're saying statistics can be used to favour any bias or point of view, are you deliberately doing that yourself when saying we nearly lost to North? Because I just checked and the margin was no shorter than 20 points throughout the entire final quarter.

Beat 3 of the 4 teams who played in the prelims last year.
I think you're being very subjective with your definition of "good win".
We beat Brissy in round 3 in a horrible scrap and GWS and Carlton in rounds 7 and 8 before they hit their straps.

I would have thought that we should’ve beaten them so we ‘should have’ made the finals at least

Normally I wouldn't be this nitpicky but when you're saying statistics can be used to favour any bias or point of view, are you deliberately doing that yourself when saying we nearly lost to North? Because I just checked and the margin was no shorter than 20 points throughout the entire final quarter.
If I remember correctly. They were in front at half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I remember correctly. They were in front at half time.
They were not - we were a goal (6 behinds) up. They started strongly for sure and were ahead for much of the first half, but “nearly losing” to North implies they were in front or close to nearing the end of the game which wasn’t the case.

We had 11 more scoring shots but just couldn’t kick. Otherwise it would’ve just been another standard Dogs/North game.

I'd personally prefer to see a change to a less experimental coach. Feels like we drop a few games every year due to silly selections and gameplans
I would like my coach to try things and not be afraid to fail.

It'd be a huge effort to make the 8 from here...

We've failed every test so far.
Agree. But wouldn't surprise me if it suddenly clicked. Is the style strong enough to go deep. Not sure

They were not - we were a goal (6 behinds) up. They started strongly for sure and were ahead for much of the first half, but “nearly losing” to North implies they were in front or close to nearing the end of the game which wasn’t the case.

We had 11 more scoring shots but just couldn’t kick. Otherwise it would’ve just been another standard Dogs/North game.
Yeah we lost Liam Jones in the first five minutes and OBrien so had to move Naughton to defence. Still the game wasn't in the balance in the second half at all.

Not having a crack at you. But I agree, we should have beaten them and we should have made finals.

Now the question is why didn't we?
It seemed to me they either weren’t mentally prepared for the contests or not committed enough whether that can be blamed on the coach or something else going on like Bubba’s sacking not sure what to think about that. My point was that we should have made the finals so apart from the stuff ups it was at least a top eight list

It seemed to me they either weren’t mentally prepared for the contests or not committed enough whether that can be blamed on the coach or something else going on like Bubba’s sacking not sure what to think about that. My point was that we should have made the finals so apart from the stuff ups it was at least a top eight list
Totally agree. At the very least a top 8 list.

I blame McNeil for the whole VDM debacle this year. He’s wins the last small forward spot over the pre season and practice matches and then has possibly his worst game for the club round one against Melbourne and has never been seen again.

We desperately need one of the VFL smalls to step the heck up and take his place.
He had a stinker, but was also played on the wing despite playing the praccy matches as a small forward

We are and have been inconsistent. That's as equally likely to be a function of relative youth and inexperience as it is perceived selection faux pas and/or game style/tactics.

I'm inclined to think that the inconsistency of youth and inexperience as a significant factor is down-played here by quite a number because Bevo has signalled it a few times as being just that....a significant factor....one that has to be overcome to be successful.

You don't have to look far past Naughton's recently discovered consistency to see that it's plausible. But he is just one who has found this out of a number who need to.

We are and have been inconsistent. That's as equally likely to be a function of relative youth and inexperience as it is perceived selection faux pas and/or game style/tactics.

I'm inclined to think that the inconsistency of youth and inexperience as a significant factor is down-played here by quite a number because Bevo has signalled it a few times as being just that....a significant factor....one that has to be overcome to be successful.

You don't have to look far past Naughton's recently discovered consistency to see that it's plausible. But he is just one who has found this out of a number who need to.
We've been inconsistent for at least 6 out of Bevo's 9+ years.
That's not youth. That's a pattern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back