Review GBU vs collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that Rankine did, in fact, run too far is not the point. The point is that running too far is very inconsistently policed, and suddenly came out of the woodwork when another close Collingwood victory was under threat.
Just so happens the AFL have suddenly cracked down on the rule in the remaining games. Clearly they don't want to admit fault on this one, I guess it's too embarrassing to admit fault against the Crows yet again therefore they're going the other direction and now over umpiring the rule.

This is in direct contradiction to what the AFL said about Buddy Franklin's run and goal against Adelaide in 2017 despite the rule being exactly the same back then. I won't go into detail at how disgusted I am with the AFL, but this rank double standard comes from them trying to protect their wrongdoing. Either they got it wrong in 2017 (back then they said they didn't) or they got it wrong this time. The AFL being the dodgy operator that it is is hopeful we all forget what they said in 2017.

They will never stop playing us for fools and why shouldn't they? Our club is so weak and pathetic when it comes to sticking up for the fans who pay to suffer this nonsense, why would the AFL care about us when our club doesn't and only cares about milking money from us?

Just so happens the AFL have suddenly cracked down on the rule in the remaining games. Clearly they don't want to admit fault on this one, I guess it's too embarrassing to admit fault against the Crows yet again therefore they're going the other direction and now over umpiring the rule.

This is in direct contradiction to what the AFL said about Buddy Franklin's run and goal against Adelaide in 2017 despite the rule being exactly the same back then. I won't go into detail at how disgusted I am with the AFL, but this rank double standard comes from them trying to protect their wrongdoing. Either they got it wrong in 2017 (back then they said they didn't) or they got it wrong this time. The AFL being the dodgy operator that it is is hopeful we all forget what they said in 2017.

They will never stop playing us for fools and why shouldn't they? Our club is so weak and pathetic when it comes to sticking up for the fans who pay to suffer this nonsense, why would the AFL care about us when our club doesn't and only cares about milking money from us?
Someone should measure all the incidents for the year to see how far players have run without bouncing the ball.

Then this will truly put this last play of the day decision in perspective.

Anyone got footage of Rankine fending off and then torching another 2-3 players? I know it didn't come off but that was sexy. Actually reminded me of McLeod.
And now he's injured so we don't even get to watch him

Screenshot_20240519_191441_Samsung Internet.jpg

Have we ever received a free kick for a player running too far?
Certainly not in the last minute of play when the game is on the line!

Have the umpires ever done this before?

I'm looking forward to Daicos having an amazing winning goal next time we play them, running 30m.... which will get lauded by the media.

So nice of the AFL to crackdown on this for the remainder of this round, so they can claim consistency... then forget about it for the rest of the year.

I wouldnt be that harsh but he did make a poor decision by going safe
If you look at the above picture Butts is clearly facing those open players
That he chose to go ''safe'' was more him not trusting himself or even having too much info
I watched Butts carefully yesterday. Will he get better? Yes, but for now with ball in hand he looks slow.
A momentum-killer, he stops, thinks, looks, thinks etc. Meanwhile the opposition is covering our blokes and running back. See below ...
I am sure ( I would hope) that part of his review will be asking what his thought process was and if a coach can ease whatever issue he had
I wondered about Butts' decision after Scorpus' detailed analysis and that good screenshot.
Why does he take so long to move the ball? Why would he go long and deep to 5 Collingwood players ready to pounce?
I don't know, but I wonder if behind closed doors our younger players are getting very negative feedback after making mistakes ...? Butts' stop-look-think etc is the sign of a player struggling with what he wants to do over what he's been told to do.
He was facing those free teammates in the blue areas. He's made hundreds of 20/25/30/35m kicks before to a teammate; why not then?

I think it's from fear of making a mistake.

If he miskicked it short, the turnover at that time might be game-losing.
If he plays safe ie kicks long, deep, wide then he's probably doing
--- either what he's been told to do, or
--- he just has a conservative, safe, slow-thinking approach (which would explain his slowness after intercept marking or being given a free). He is not a run-on quickly rebounder.

All I know is that the Crows fought back from behind three times yesterday and not by playing safe, slow footy.
They start slowly, often, get behind, often, fight back, often, and lose on the back of that pattern, often :sadv1:.
It's a pattern of play, a trend, just as clear as the trend of our close losses.
I am not saying Butts cost us the game, but playing safe might have.
Look at Hawthorn tonight; 41 points ahead 2/3 of the way through the 3rd quarter on the back of tough, high-pressure footy.
28 points ahead at 3/4 time, Port coming back.
Port snuck back another 1.4, with the Hawks leading by 18 but they had clearly stopped attacking, stopped doing what they'd done to get 41 pints up.
Then they $hat the bed, clearly all-out defence to protect the lead, "safe" football, and got done by nerves, panic, fumbles and the last kick of the game.
Fwiw, I felt sick watching it. It reminded me so much of watching teams fight back against us and losing closely + I hate when PA win, anyway.

When we got ahead with 7:19 on the clock, I was hoping desperately that the Crows would keep doing what they'd done to get ahead, but it seems not to be Nicks' way of closing out games.

I watched Butts carefully yesterday. Will he get better? Yes, but for now with ball in hand he looks slow.
A momentum-killer, he stops, thinks, looks, thinks etc. Meanwhile the opposition is covering our blokes and running back. See below ...

I wondered about Butts' decision after Scorpus' detailed analysis and that good screenshot.
Why does he take so long to move the ball? Why would he go long and deep to 5 Collingwood players ready to pounce?
I don't know, but I wonder if behind closed doors our younger players are getting very negative feedback after making mistakes ...? Butts' stop-look-think etc is the sign of a player struggling with what he wants to do over what he's been told to do.
He was facing those free teammates in the blue areas. He's made hundreds of 20/25/30/35m kicks before to a teammate; why not then?

I think it's from fear of making a mistake.

If he miskicked it short, the turnover at that time might be game-losing.
If he plays safe ie kicks long, deep, wide then he's probably doing
--- either what he's been told to do, or
--- he just has a conservative, safe, slow-thinking approach (which would explain his slowness after intercept marking or being given a free). He is not a run-on quickly rebounder.

All I know is that the Crows fought back from behind three times yesterday and not by playing safe, slow footy.
They start slowly, often, get behind, often, fight back, often, and lose on the back of that pattern, often :sadv1:.
It's a pattern of play, a trend, just as clear as the trend of our close losses.
I am not saying Butts cost us the game, but playing safe might have.
Look at Hawthorn tonight; 41 points ahead 2/3 of the way through the 3rd quarter on the back of tough, high-pressure footy.
28 points ahead at 3/4 time, Port coming back.
Port snuck back another 1.4, with the Hawks leading by 18 but they had clearly stopped attacking, stopped doing what they'd done to get 41 pints up.
Then they $hat the bed, clearly all-out defence to protect the lead, "safe" football, and got done by nerves, panic, fumbles and the last kick of the game.
Fwiw, I felt sick watching it. It reminded me so much of watching teams fight back against us and losing closely + I hate when PA win, anyway.

When we got ahead with 7:19 on the clock, I was hoping desperately that the Crows would keep doing what they'd done to get ahead, but it seems not to be Nicks' way of closing out games.
Butts is ok, probably more like a full back from the late 90s.

Unfortunately the game has moved on and many offensive attacks start from the last line. We can't just be giving the ball back to the opposition. Full backs must make good decisions and quickly.

Butts is pretty likely to be playing SANFL later in the season anyway assuming Murray's return goes to plan. He's not bad but there's obviously a massive gap from him to Keane/Murray/Worrell.

Butts is pretty likely to be playing SANFL later in the season anyway assuming Murray's return goes to plan. He's not bad but there's obviously a massive gap from him to Keane/Murray/Worrell.
I would consider trading him if we can get value for him, then keep Borlase as backup.

I would consider trading him if we can get value for him, then keep Borlase as backup.
Absolutely, assuming that Murray and Keane are fit and finish the season well. Not sure we'll get much and moving players is always hard, but Butts would certainly be a first team player for some other clubs.

Absolutely, assuming that Murray and Keane are fit and finish the season well. Not sure we'll get much and moving players is always hard, but Butts would certainly be a first team player for some other clubs.
There are teams lacking key defenders, so we should be looking to cash in to bolster our squad in other areas

He's just not that good and I can't see where the improvement is coming from.

Body work perhaps his best trait?

Speed is below average.

Skills are below average.

Smarts are below average.

Marking is probably average and doesn't intercept.

Butts and Smith are the weakest links in the back line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speed is below average.

As my Finnish better half keeps saying... "just stop hatching the ball!"

It so funny but bloody painful really. It’s like an old cartoon, the umpires thought we have a chance to win and then gave them a free. It’s actually laughable. As a crows fan, I expected this .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

... issue is we need to draft 3 or 4 good midfielders, half back and half forwards.
After Dangerfield left, it took us, what, 7/8 years to get players of the quality of Dawson and Rankine.
Our high draft picks have been wasted on busts (no need to name them; we all know who they are).
My point is that getting the players you stated above is not an easy or simple process.
It might not take another 7/8 years, but it won't happen quickly.
We have about 5 players that just aren’t good enough that need to be replaced or make them retire.
... and we need other players as depth.
Our list is young enough to hit the draft one more time and make the finals next year.
"Make the Finals" ... we need a list (and Coach) that will be strong enough to win a Flag.
Sadly, I think we're a long way from that :sadv1:.
Unfortunately not sure Nicks move us forward or not, he has made many mistakes in selection and substitution. We need to get a senior assistant to help him from himself.
A senior assistant will not be enough. Nicks is set in his ways.
A very experienced senior assistant might have helped back in 2020, but Nicks took on the job with the leftover assistants from the shambles of 2018/19
Now that the finals are over, time to ply the young guys even more.
With what? More money? Essendon-style "treatments"? Another Camp? Ritalin? (sorry, couldn't resist :sneaky:)
Rest Tex, drop Smith and put Laird to half back.
Under Nicks, won't happen. Keep in mind, the eye injury kept Sloane out, not Nicks or the Club. Sloane was training/planning to return.
Nicks just doesn’t make the tough decisions that others do (Blight). And that will cost him his job.
This.

Last edited:
I know people don't want to hear it, but thought Frampton was actually pretty good defending 1 on 1.

He's definitely improved that aspect of his game but I also haven't seen him play for a while.
Reasons:
--- Macrae is his head Coach
--- Roughead is his Defensive Coach
--- a couple of our blokes thought he was still with us and kicked lace out to him.

The fact that Rankine did, in fact, run too far is not the point. The point is that running too far is very inconsistently policed, and suddenly came out of the woodwork when another close Collingwood victory was under threat.
You could probably find a dozen posts from me whinging ang bitching about how poorly umpired 15m is. It's my main bugbear with the game. And the reason is it causes issues just like this.

All year you can run 20-25 without being pinged. Until one umpire wants to be a big man and exert himself on a tight game. You'll see 1 or 2 called a year. And that's the best part. They never call it, so the players know they can get away with it, until one of the umpires decides to call it. And then here come all the backslappers. "Great call!" "He ran 24m!" "Umpire backed himself and got it right!"

All the attention is on the bighead umpire who needed his moment in the sun at the end of a close Collingwood game, and not on the hundreds of missed calls for the rest of the year.

And everyone else sits there, "Welp, he ran too far. Too bad." It is only an issue in our eyes because it is NEVER an issue any other time. If everyone on the freeway is doing 5kmh over, day after day, year after year, and the cop picks you out of everyone to give a ticket to, you're going to feel aggrieved.

Which of course leads into why we're so frustrated. Because it's us. Again. In another close game. Why does it have to be us nearly every time one of these "make a stand" moments come up at critical times in crucial games.

I agree. However I am confused , though I rarely post. If Fox lab is correct Izak ran 24.2 meters without bouncing , according to the commentators he took 14 steps. My simple maths suggests each stride is 1.7 meters long. Where have I gone wrong and is this anatomically possible?

I agree. However I am confused , though I rarely post. If Fox lab is correct Izak ran 24.2 meters without bouncing , according to the commentators he took 14 steps. My simple maths suggests each stride is 1.7 meters long. Where have I gone wrong and is this anatomically possible?
Yeah it's possible when sprinting. Average stride length for a long distance runner is up around the 1.5m mark or above depending on the person, for sprinters it can go well over 2m.

The 15m rule if interpreted literally is kinda dumb for this reason. If someone breaks away from a pack at a full sprint and they are fast they could be expected to bounce the ball every 6-7 paces in order to not give away a free kick, which reduces the value of running free with the ball, something which creates memorable highlights. Would be nice to see it interpreted as 10 or 15 paces. Or at least consistently.

Last edited:
Running too far is one of those things that is, as a spectator and a player, pretty easy to spot when you're watching live. That's based on decades of watching football and viewing how a rule has been adjudicated very consistently over a long period of time.

It didn't even cross my mind watching it live that the free was to do with holding the ball. None of the commentators guessed it either.

Strange time to bust out an iffy one.

Speed is below average.

Could Butts be shifted forward? Tall enough to backup ruck too while filthy is still out.

Running too far is one of those things that is, as a spectator and a player, pretty easy to spot when you're watching live. That's based on decades of watching football and viewing how a rule has been adjudicated very consistently over a long period of time.

It didn't even cross my mind watching it live that the free was to do with holding the ball. None of the commentators guessed it either.

Strange time to bust out an iffy one.
The free was BS when you see crucial final minutes players do this kind of run without being penalised. More so when all the commentators were like “there’s a free being paid…against the Crows…for running too far!” (Yep, everyone was shocked)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back