GC & Carlton Given Priority Access to State League Players

Should GC and Carlton be given priority access to state league players?

• Yes

Votes: 73 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 91 55.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

These are the new priority picks. Clever work from the AFL to disguise it.

As I have posted elsewhere Carlton will pick Shane McAdam and trade him back to South Australia. He is the highest rated state league player, valued at 15-20, this years Tim Kelly. That will see them land McGovern, either straight up or as part of other deals.

Don't know what GC will do but they should be able to find 2 good mature players valued as 2nd round picks. If it was last year it would be Liam Ryan and Bayley Fitsch. If it was the year before it might've been Luke Ryan and Tom Stewart.
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl-denies-carlton-bid-priority-draft-pick-073244021.html

"Tom Browne reports the Blues’ application for an extra pick has been denied, with the club set to receive free access to two state-league players. The Blues’ application for an extra pick has been denied, with the club set to receive free access to two state-league players.

It is understood Carlton will be unable to trade the players to the other clubs."

These teams are a disgrace given the amount of talent both have been given access to.

A tiny bit of thought and patience please.

Our talent is all 21 and under aside from Docherty and Cripps. What do you expect those kids to be doing?

Yes we had #1 picks in the past and could only make finals with them, but it's not as though you can look at out current age profile and believe we should be contending.

keep hating playa! your obsession is sad. its just a game mate.

Try to relax, life is too short.
Look we all know how dissapointed you carlton fans are that the AFL took their nipple away from your clubs mouth but there’s no need to try project that anger on to us crows supporters..

we’re not angry, we’re just like all other club supporters after this decision from the AFL... laughing at Carlton’s massive slapdown from Gill!..

But im sure a mitch grigg or a mc adam will look good in blues colours.. just not as good as a free mitch mcgovern

Look we all know how dissapointed you carlton fans are that the AFL took their nipple away from your clubs mouth but there’s no need to try project that anger on to us crows supporters..

we’re not angry, we’re just like all other club supporters after this decision from the AFL... laughing at Carlton’s massive slapdown from Gill!..

But im sure a mitch grigg or a mc adam will look good in blues colours.. just not as good as a free mitch mcgovern

So you basically just admitted you have nothing to offer this discussion, you're just here to troll.

The McGovern thread is in your head and you're allowing it to spill over.

Kelly and Mihocek would be pretty handy for Carlton right now..

I hope we have done our due diligence on the state leagues. Brodie and Agresta should be on top of it.

I've been wanting us to get some mature talent in from state leagues for a couple of years now, and with earlier picks. Glad we are being forced to do it.

I hope we have done our due diligence on the state leagues. Brodie and Agresta should be on top of it.

I've been wanting us to get some mature talent in from state leagues for a couple of years now, and with earlier picks. Glad we are being forced to do it.

That post is so hilariously sad (and probably very true!).

Shame this announcement was made after the end of the VFL season. Maybe the Blues can buy themselves a VCR and go to Blockbuster and see if they can rent some VFL videos?

:D

Forgot Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli. That's 4 players that are best 22 in sides that played finals this year, plenty of talent out there.

To be honest Mitch has shown so much potential (taking huge, important grabs to save our arses several times) but has never quite been the player we want him to be.

I appreciate your honesty here. We all have players who never quite become what we think they will, but now and then you think they've turned a corner.

Jarrad Waite was such a player for us, although he had shown a heap more by 23 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli. That's 4 players that are best 22 in sides that played finals this year, plenty of talent out there.

Our issue is we expect these guys to come in and lead a group of youngsters from a low base, not be a final piece to address a positional need. They may struggle under those circumstances.

I appreciate your honesty here. We all have players who never quite become what we think they will, but now and then you think they've turned a corner.

Jarrad Waite was such a player for us, although he had shown a heap more by 23 IMO.
We've been waiting for McGovern to truly dominate or bust a game open but it's never eventuated.

That post is so hilariously sad (and probably very true!).

Shame this announcement was made after the end of the VFL season. Maybe the Blues can buy themselves a VCR and go to Blockbuster and see if they can rent some VFL videos?

:D

Don't be silly. Why are you trying to make out our recruiters have no idea what is in the state leagues? Trying to amuse yourself?

We've been waiting for McGovern to truly dominate or bust a game open but it's never eventuated.

Well, he did against us but then ... didn't everybody this year?

So you basically just admitted you have nothing to offer this discussion, you're just here to troll.

The McGovern thread is in your head and you're allowing it to spill over.
????.... ahhh, no... and i wasnt even thinking about the mcgovern thread so give up trying to guess what im thinking...

im just responding to a carlton poster(s) telling me that im somehow angry at something... why is it that when you respond to someone on here claiming that youre angry/unhappy etc etc all of a sudden youre trolling??..

Thats some crazy logic if youre allowed to have someone who doesnt even know you claim that youre angry but youre not allowed to even respond to it!.. thats like walking up to someone in public and saying “youre angry, youre angry, youre angry” and then when they turn around and say “no im not” then say “oh, then you must be a troll”!!... how does that make any sense whatsoever?

Maybe some carlton supporters just need to be a little less sensitive toward the mild critisism of the club you support.

Imagine working your arse off in the VFL while working full time, having a breakout year, having AFL clubs contact you... now you get told you’re going to Carlton. Poor bastards.
I think most of the state league players would just be happy to get a gig at any club and a second chance at an afl career.. or in some cases their first chance of it..

There is definately merit to the idea.

You're seriously underrating the opportunity given here. Have a look at the mature age recruits over the past two seasons:

2016: English, Long, Stewart, Hannan, Rioli, Luke Ryan

2017: T.Kelly, Liam Ryan, Fritsch, Langdon, Guelfi

English wasn’t mature aged....

Don't be silly. Why are you trying to make out our recruiters have no idea what is in the state leagues? Trying to amuse yourself?

Indeed I am. As you said yourself you're pleased the club is being forced to go down this path!!

Carlton dont have a terrible list tbh and they are on the cusp of starting to build up from ground zero. I dont really see the point of them getting first dibs on mature age VFL talent because if identifying and drafting these players was so easy, they'd already be on an AFL list.

Brodie Mihocek for example was pick 22 in the rookie draft last year. Every club had many opportunities to draft him before Collingwood did, several times over. Not sure how a priority pick helps unless you manage to fluke a Tim Kelly which doesnt happen often.

There is already opportunity for all clubs to pick for free, Delisted Free Agents. I really see this little benefit given to Carlton as a minor extension of that. Of some value but not a lot.

Last edited:
????.... ahhh, no... and i wasnt even thinking about the mcgovern thread so give up trying to guess what im thinking...

im just responding to a carlton poster(s) telling me that im somehow angry at something... why is it that when you respond to someone on here claiming that youre angry/unhappy etc etc all of a sudden youre trolling??..

Thats some crazy logic if youre allowed to have someone who doesnt even know you claim that youre angry but youre not allowed to even respond to it!.. thats like walking up to someone in public and saying “youre angry, youre angry, youre angry” and then when they turn around and say “no im not” then say “oh, then you must be a troll”!!... how does that make any sense whatsoever?

Maybe some carlton supporters just need to be a little less sensitive toward the mild critisism of the club you support.

It's not your tones that suggest you are not here for discussion, it's your words.

Anytime you feel like having a genuine conversation, you might get some genuine responses and we can cut the crap.

Back