GC & Carlton Given Priority Access to State League Players

Should GC and Carlton be given priority access to state league players?

• Yes

Votes: 73 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 91 55.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

because collingwood has never received a priority pick before?

Yes we did receive one, however, the difference being that we didn’t go cap in hand pleading for it as the rules at the time allocated a PP to teams who won less than 5 games.

However, the Pies made the most of it as the afl would have expected when they brought in that rule.

That was 1 pick. The blues also received the 1st PP that draft (Mark Murphy and then Kennedy), the Hawks the 3rd pick. It just so happens we selected Pendlebury at 5 (who incidentally may go down as one of the greatest Collingwood players in history). You have our PP playing for you now so it’s worked out for you.

The real issue is that we never received a 1st or 2nd pick since (2005 draft). How many have the blues received?

It’s not about rewarding continuous failure.
The AFL provides compensation to give clubs the opportunity to turn things around. If you fail to do it, you just haven’t learnt. If you embark on a strategy that doesn’t work, you can’t go back to the well and ask for even more than the 1st pick you once again receive.

Yes we did receive one, however, the difference being that we didn’t go cap in hand pleading for it as the rules at the time allocated a PP to teams who won less than 5 games.

However, the Pies made the most of it as the afl would have expected when they brought in that rule.

That was 1 pick. The blues also received the 1st PP that draft (Mark Murphy and then Kennedy), the Hawks the 3rd pick. It just so happens we selected Pendlebury at 5 (who incidentally may go down as one of the greatest Collingwood players in history). You have our PP playing for you now so it’s worked out for you.

The real issue is that we never received a 1st or 2nd pick since (2005 draft). How many have the blues received?

It’s not about rewarding continuous failure.
The AFL provides compensation to give clubs the opportunity to turn things around. If you fail to do it, you just haven’t learnt. If you embark on a strategy that doesn’t work, you can’t go back to the well and ask for even more than the 1st pick you once again receive.
I’m pretty sure carlton didn’t plead for s**t. We said no. The media did their thing and called us stupid for not asking and the media followed up with Gil and he said we will give them one if they ask. We still said no. But in the end the media blew such s**t around the place that we then said oh well we may as well take the handout. Then of course the afl said go * yourself. What a rabbleof an organisation. #boundbyblue. * the afl we will do it our way in future.

They just take up a regular list spot it seems.

With our list numbers at present and the picks we have (2, presumably 3, 17, 26,29)

we could just take these guys with 38 and 41 anyway
It probably allows you to trade three of those later picks for Sydneys 13
Take picks 2,3,13,17 and maybe 29 along with two mature age players

AFL should swallow their pride and pack the Gold Coast venture in. Seems like anyone half decent coming through now is jumping ship first chance they get. All the assistance they're getting now won't make a lick of difference.
Don’t know about that. Good enough to beat your mob with a rookie coach, bunch of kids and c graders. Start winning regularly and the players will stay, crowds will rise.

I think you severally overestimate the intelligence level of this mob, most of them seem to think pick 12 wouldn't have been enough they wanted pick 1 lol. Town full of collingwood supporters, just ignore them/wave and smile.

Oh dear... best you learn how to spell first before questioning others intelligence..

I don’t really care that we didn’t get a PP. Whatever.

But find it ******* laughable that the AFL has thrown this to the Gold Coast and Carlton as the alternative like the state leagues are a gold mine of AFL level talent.

Boy has Tim Kelly really messed with the AFL’s heads. There are not a heap of gun AFL players ready to be picked up from these leagues. In reality it will just lead to Carlton and Gold Coast wasting more time on blokes who aren’t up to it, like Carlton did with Cam O’Shea who was a VFL player.

There is a reason the majority of these blokes are playing VFL, SANFL etc. 18 clubs are not horrible at picking AFL level talent, therefore leaving the state leagues stacked with options.

Why do you think you are entitled to a free "gun" player? If you can get a mature bodied foot soldier to help the kids develop through the next 3-5 years that would be a good outcome.

I’m pretty sure carlton didn’t plead for s**t. We said no. The media did their thing and called us stupid for not asking and the media followed up with Gil and he said we will give them one if they ask. We still said no. But in the end the media blew such s**t around the place that we then said oh well we may as well take the handout. Then of course the afl said go **** yourself. What a rabbleof an organisation. #boundbyblue. **** the afl we will do it our way in future.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

We wouldn't be beaten by a few state league teams. Honestly, get a clue.

As for the players Adelaide were missing, have you had a look at Carlton's injury list the whole season?

Now if you've finished carrying on about how s**t Carlton are, I think the topic is about assistance for Carlton and Gold Coast.

The McGovern thread needs you.
And I think the assistance is plenty good enough.
And for the record, our injury list was just as bad if not worse.

You're seriously underrating the opportunity given here. Have a look at the mature age recruits over the past two seasons:

2016: English, Long, Stewart, Hannan, Rioli, Luke Ryan

2017: T.Kelly, Liam Ryan, Fritsch, Langdon, Guelfi
The problem being is that carlton are hopeless at recognising talent so they will probably pick up another fail.

finding a diamond in the rough is bloody difficult... especially when you dont even know what diamonds looks like..

Why do you think you are entitled to a free "gun" player? If you can get a mature bodied foot soldier to help the kids develop through the next 3-5 years that would be a good outcome.
haha this is rich coming from a supporter of the Melbourne Handouts.

The AFL not only loaded you up with PPs and quasi PPs, they ran your administration, appointed and paid for key appointments including your coach in Paul Roos.

You were so pathetic that you became an AFL-run club.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Last edited:
The problem being is that carlton are hopeless at recognising talent so they will probably pick up another fail.

finding a diamond in the rough is bloody difficult... especially when you dont even know what diamonds looks like..
So much hate in this dude. Did SOS kick your dog? Calm down matey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much hate in this dude. Did SOS kick your dog? Calm down matey.
No hate at all... actually feel a lot more pity.. pity towards you poor carlton fans and what youve had to put up with for the last decade and a half from your once great club.

I was just stating the basic facts.. carlton arent great at recognising talent.. although they also arent great at developing great talent into top class footy players either so they may have picked up some great talent in the past few years but failed to turn that talent into success.

The proof of this is in the carlton pudding over the past 15 years.

And I think the assistance is plenty good enough.
And for the record, our injury list was just as bad if not worse.

We can debate injury lists until the cows come home. Point is talking about your outs in round 23 to emphasise how bad we are is one sided. There are plenty of players we wish we had out there. Only 2 played every game. We would have used several more players this year but some didn't get on the park the whole season.

No hate at all... actually feel a lot more pity.. pity towards you poor carlton fans and what youve had to put up with for the last decade and a half from your once great club.

I was just stating the basic facts.. carlton arent great at recognising talent.. although they also arent great at developing great talent into top class footy players either so they may have picked up some great talent in the past few years but failed to turn that talent into success.

keep hating playa! your obsession is sad. its just a game mate.

Try to relax, life is too short.

Yes i assume so...though i haven't heard of any of this years state league players even being rated in the second round, unlike last year with Liam Ryan and Tim Kelly.

Best i'd imagine we'd get is equivalent of a third rounder.
Shane McAdam from Sturt is a borderline first rounder. Would be a very good addition to Carlton's forward flank or a very valuable commodity to on-trade to another club.

Kreuger at South Adelaide would be another very good addition who would help Carlton or the Suns almost immediately.

Shane McAdam from Sturt is a borderline first rounder. Would be a very good addition to Carlton's forward flank or a very valuable commodity to on-trade to another club.

Kreuger at South Adelaide would be another very good addition who would help Carlton or the Suns almost immediately.

Yes I like the little I've seen and read about McAdam...seems exactly the kind if player we need.

Would be nice to keep him and on trade the other player we pick up as part of a deal for one of our targets.

Great post. Player knowledge like this is one of the great benefits of Bigfooty imo.

I think if he can play HFF we'd bloody well better keep him. We have absolutely no-one of talent in that position.

I know that you dont get much outside news in SA (very insular) but for the past 3 years we have done very well with our selections.

What this also means is that Carlton and GC will likely be motivated to try and package their 2nd and 3rd rounders for a better pick.

This could really shape the draft, and create some win-wins with trades for academy points.

Back