Geelong 2008 vs St Kilda 2009 vs Collingwood 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not just us that get lucky in Grand Finals

Look at the Saints...
1997 you got the Crows - we all know how useless non Melbourne sides are in Grand Finals - this was a Crows side that only had 13 wins in H&A (so inferior to the 2015 Crows side who only had 21 matches in their H&A season)
2009 you got Geelong - having lost 6 of their previous 7 Grand Finals
2010 you got Collingwood - no one loses Grand Finals more often than the Pies - they'd even had experience at losing a Grand Final Replay too

I mean really and truly what easier set of opponents could St Kilda dream up?
s**t post

Geelong 2008 vs St Kilda 2009 vs Collingwood 2011 Vs Hawthorn 2012 Vs Sydney 2016

Hawthorn and Sydney were never as dominant as the other 3. Not even in the same conversation. Maybe due to opponents quality, maybe not, who knows, but in terms of objective data they don't even come close in their grand final losses.

The first 3 crushed all bar their grand final opponents effectively.

Hawks 2012 were pretty damn good for a non-flag side but their most dominant period (8-0 from round 10-18) included North (8th, but weak enough to be crushed by 96 points in their final), Port x2 (14th), Brisbane (13th), Carlton (10th), GWS (18th - in the midst of a 6 week period where they lost by 78, 94, 162, 119, 95, 120), Western Bulldogs (15th), Pies (4th), Essendon (11th). The Collingwood win was very impressive I admit. But you never looked absolutely untouchable to top 4 teams in my opinion.

Only took top spot with 2 rounds to go. 17-5 and 155%.
Meanwhile, Geelong had top for 16 rounds in 2008, including not losing it from round 12 onwards. 21-1 and 161%. Went on a 15 game winning streak - beat Hawthorn (2nd), thumped the Dogs by 61 (3rd), the Saints by 58 (4th), Adelaide by 68 (5th), beat Swans by 39 (6th), beat North x2 (7th) too...in this span, they clearly beat down every challenger. Remember too, this is not arguing Geelong 08 v Hawthorn 08, but Geelong 2008 where they just wrecked top quality opposition and everyone below for 15 rounds, v Hawthorn 2012 who only sealed top spot late in the year.

Pies 20-2 and 167% but were 20-1 and 180% or something ridiculous. Miles ahead in terms of stats over Hawks 12 and Swans 16. Were top of the ladder for 15 rounds, and before round 24 had lost 1 game...by only 3 points, to the clear rival. 14 wins over 40 points...just dominant. Took a true champion team to crack them in the GF and even that took 3.5 quarters.

Saints 2009 took 1st in round 3 and didn't lose it after that. 20-2 and 155%, were 19-0 and 164% though.

Just incredible stat lines and took some amazing efforts to beat these 3 sides in grand finals.

Hawks 12 were pretty good and went in deserved GF favourites, but were never as incredible during the H&A season as the 3 mentioned.

Swans 2016 only took top for 3 rounds, in an incredibly even year where 6 teams could have been considered genuine contenders. Wouldn't say they come close to the H&A dominance shown by the 3 contenders nominated in the title.

One thing I forgot to mention before: just one more goal in R20 vs Essendon and R21 vs Kangaroos, and the 09 Saints would be 22-0.

Hawthorn and Sydney were never as dominant as the other 3. Not even in the same conversation. Maybe due to opponents quality, maybe not, who knows, but in terms of objective data they don't even come close in their grand final losses.

The first 3 crushed all bar their grand final opponents effectively.

Hawks 2012 were pretty damn good for a non-flag side but their most dominant period (8-0 from round 10-18) included North (8th, but weak enough to be crushed by 96 points in their final), Port x2 (14th), Brisbane (13th), Carlton (10th), GWS (18th - in the midst of a 6 week period where they lost by 78, 94, 162, 119, 95, 120), Western Bulldogs (15th), Pies (4th), Essendon (11th). The Collingwood win was very impressive I admit. But you never looked absolutely untouchable to top 4 teams in my opinion.

Only took top spot with 2 rounds to go. 17-5 and 155%.
Meanwhile, Geelong had top for 16 rounds in 2008, including not losing it from round 12 onwards. 21-1 and 161%. Went on a 15 game winning streak - beat Hawthorn (2nd), thumped the Dogs by 61 (3rd), the Saints by 58 (4th), Adelaide by 68 (5th), beat Swans by 39 (6th), beat North x2 (7th) too...in this span, they clearly beat down every challenger. Remember too, this is not arguing Geelong 08 v Hawthorn 08, but Geelong 2008 where they just wrecked top quality opposition and everyone below for 15 rounds, v Hawthorn 2012 who only sealed top spot late in the year.

Pies 20-2 and 167% but were 20-1 and 180% or something ridiculous. Miles ahead in terms of stats over Hawks 12 and Swans 16. Were top of the ladder for 15 rounds, and before round 24 had lost 1 game...by only 3 points, to the clear rival. 14 wins over 40 points...just dominant. Took a true champion team to crack them in the GF and even that took 3.5 quarters.

Saints 2009 took 1st in round 3 and didn't lose it after that. 20-2 and 155%, were 19-0 and 164% though.

Just incredible stat lines and took some amazing efforts to beat these 3 sides in grand finals.

Hawks 12 were pretty good and went in deserved GF favourites, but were never as incredible during the H&A season as the 3 mentioned.

Swans 2016 only took top for 3 rounds, in an incredibly even year where 6 teams could have been considered genuine contenders. Wouldn't say they come close to the H&A dominance shown by the 3 contenders nominated in the title.

That was one comprehensive and concise analysis SterlingArcher, hard to argue..... well stated!

Saints only lost to north and essendon because of ross' ******* training load. Shouldve gone 25-0 in 2009 and been the greatest season ever. ******* ross lyin. Seems us saints get these awesome
Coaches which seem to at the last minute **** things up like amatuers!
Alves GF 97 keeps hall and heatley on bench together to prove a point. Ffs then keeps shanahan on jarman ans lets allen run wild.
GT 2005 ffs get on schnieder play some defense
Dont even get me started on 71 and 92.

Whether or not Collingwood were the best side in 2011 is arguable. Geelong lost two games by less than a goal and then a third game by 13 points. Beat Collingwood thrice in that year, too. It's more even than ladder positions suggest, they were two goals off having a better year than 2008.

Man, Saints threw it away in 2009. Feel pretty crook for them reading through this thread.

The Bulldogs coming from the clouds to snag one must make it burn even more...

Man, Saints threw it away in 2009. Feel pretty crook for them reading through this thread.

Oh it does, but hopefully the current playing group take some belief from the Dogs efforts, would love to see Riewoldt get sent off with a premiership.

Haven't read all of this thread but from what I've seen posted, I'm surprised no one has mentioned St Kilda's actual team from the GF in 09.

Blake, Dawson, Baker, Ray, McQualter, Koschitzke, Jones, Gram, Schneider, Clarke.

I loved Baker when he played and I don't mind most of the others but that is a lot of low end talent for a GF side. Ross Lyon doesn't get nearly enough credit for making that side with players like McQualter, Dawson, Ray and Jones so dominant in 09-10. That is some serious over-achievement.

Out of the 3, Geelong in 08 were the best by a mile. They played every game bar 2 like it was the 07 GF again.

Haven't read all of this thread but from what I've seen posted, I'm surprised no one has mentioned St Kilda's actual team from the GF in 09.

Blake, Dawson, Baker, Ray, McQualter, Koschitzke, Jones, Gram, Schneider, Clarke.

I loved Baker when he played and I don't mind most of the others but that is a lot of low end talent for a GF side. Ross Lyon doesn't get nearly enough credit for making that side with players like McQualter, Dawson, Ray and Jones so dominant in 09-10. That is some serious over-achievement.

Out of the 3, Geelong in 08 were the best by a mile. They played every game bar 2 like it was the 07 GF again.

Schnieder Baker and gram no talent???

The rest ill give you but 3. a norm smith in gram a bf in baker Schnieders skills were amazing. Wtf. Still i get your point we had too many role players in the end.
Max H shouldve played GF. Ball shouldve pkayed more of the GF. Ross &:&;$; lyin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schnieder Baker and gram no talent???

The rest ill give you but 3. a norm smith in gram a bf in baker Schnieders skills were amazing. Wtf. Still i get your point we had too many role players in the end.
Max H shouldve played GF. Ball shouldve pkayed more of the GF. Ross &:&;$; lyin.

When did Gram win a Norm Smith?

The Norm Smith is done via countback if the votes are equal.....Chapman had more best on grounds... Gram does not own a norm smith medal.
Yes i know that just making a point. Gram is skilled. Besides chapman blood doped to make the grand final. It is now illegal to do what he did. Stkildas luck on display right there!

Yes i know that just making a point. Gram is skilled. Besides chapman blood doped to make the grand final. It is now illegal to do what he did. Stkildas luck on display right there!

No it isn't, players still did it for years later, maybe still do. The legality is whether the muscle or tendon is injected - easily fudged.

Not at all MOC

Good on the doggies I say :)

Btw you're obsession with poor old St Kilda is not normal, seek help. you must feel tough kicking us while we're down

Last edited:
Whether or not Collingwood were the best side in 2011 is arguable. Geelong lost two games by less than a goal and then a third game by 13 points. Beat Collingwood thrice in that year, too. It's more even than ladder positions suggest, they were two goals off having a better year than 2008.
Geelong were the best side in 2011 and that's reflected in them winning the flag, but in terms of dominance and statistics, Collingwood 2011 has been one of the most dominant sides in the modern era. Would be silly to say otherwise.

Geelong 2008 without question.

Hawthorn caught them on a slightly off day whilst playing out of their own skins at the same time.

B: Ryan Hargrave, Brian Lake, Robert Murphy
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Dale Morris, Jarrod Harbrow
C: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Giansiracusa
HF: Jason Akermanis, Mitch Hahn, Nathan Eagleton
F: Shaun Higgins, Scott Welsh, Brad Johnson
R: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Daniel Cross
I/C: Will Minson, Callan Ward, Josh Hill, Liam Picken
Going off topic but how does the 2016 premiers side compare to this?

I think its more the fact Boyd won us the GF and kicked the winning goal that bounced favourably.

The 19 yo they bagged mercilessly:
  1. plays the game of his life, something their premier CHF could not do on GF day.
  2. kicks the winning goal with a slightly favourable bounce (something not afforded to milne)
I bet it was like a bad nightmare for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back