• No, but they will play in the Grand Final

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • No, they will bow out against Adelaide this weekend

Votes: 56 58.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Dangerfield propels this team up the ladder. Beyond him and Selwood they don't have the class to win in September. Was proven against Sydney last year.

For them to end up premiers Danger would have to play some sort of finals series.

Don't take it from me but your own supporters at the time of the losses. Scott Selwood is only in your side because of his brother. You're a two man team who look like dinosaurs at the G. "Our second tier have outshone Danger and Selwood at times" ....wow holy ****!!
******* LOL at an Essendon supporter having a go at anyone... Clearly you don't know * all about our team if you think Scott Selwood plays because of his name - he kicks clutch goals and tackles like a madman. Stick to worrying about your flogs and making finals.

Fair call. Duncan looks like he's stepped up to the plate. Up to S.Selwood, Guthrie and Menegola to play the support cast. When they're on, we look fantastic. If not we look ordinary.

Lonergan has looked average this year I think, need to sort out the CHF situation to get Taylor back to support Henderson on the bigger guys. Otherwise Kolodjashnij and Mackie need to play out of their skin.

Few to many ifs, but happy we've got our hat into the ring for top 4.

Definitely when on they can beat anyone, I do agree that Duncan has stepped up. Just not sure they will have the consistency come finals for a flag. Taylor looks like he has hit the wall, think he is better down back.

Hawkins is interesting... top 8 clubs so far other than Geelong are Crows (haven't played), GWS (haven't played), West Coast (haven't played), Fremantle (kicked 1 goal), Port Adelaide (kicked 1 goal), Richmond (haven't played) and Bulldogs (kicked 1 goal). Still need a greater sample size against other top 8 sides but might be a concern scoring, he has gone okay against the mid table and lower teams but something about his recent games, doesn't seem to lead out as strong or demand the ball as he used to.

But form is fickle, the game is a bit faster earlier in the year, things might change dramatically for the better as the season goes on. Don't like to predict premierships in May in general.

Don't take it from me but your own supporters at the time of the losses.
How about that for a wild concept! Passionate fans make errant, erratic statements in the heat of the moment! Guess we better take them all as fact!!

Scott Selwood is only in your side because of his brother.
Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on BigFooty. Our team statistically DOUBLES its defensive performance when he's in the side, and he's only in because of his brother. How's that for a lol. We have players at the moment who aren't even fit to tie his bootlace.

You're a two man team who look like dinosaurs at the G.
Lolololololol. Of all the teams who have played 5 or more games at the MCG over the past 2 seasons, we have the 3rd best winning percentage at the G in the competition (only the Dogs, and Richmond marginally, are ahead and we have played double the amount of games there as WB). That means our winning % at the G is better than Hawthorn's, Melbourne's, Collingwood's (all of whom call the MCG home), as well as North's, Essendon's, Carlton's, Sydney's, WC's, Brisbane's, GWS's and GC's. Hardly despicable

"Our second tier have outshone Danger and Selwood at times" ....wow holy ****!!
Go on, prove that they haven't. I doubt Selwood or Danger are leading our B&F at this stage. Seeing as you like to take the 'peoples' word' as fact, you'd find just about every commentator has agreed that Geelong's second tier have stood up repeatedly and even performed beyond Selwood and Dangerfield at large stages of the season.

Our second tier has supported and often outshone Danger and Selwood superbly this season, Duncan, S Selwood and Menegola probably A-grade mids for us at this stage. Tuohy has taken his game to another level, Mackie and Henderson in outstanding nick this season, Stewart, Bews and Kolodjashnij have cemented themselves in D50, Murdoch has risen from the VFL a different player in recent weeks
Only thing not completely lolworthy in the above is the comment on Tuohy, who has been the AFL recruit of the year IMO. Everything else you've stated is a right laff - Dangerwood are performing at maximum output (which is about as good as footy can be played by human beings) and have conservatively dragged you over the line primarily on their own in 4 games this season. There are perfectly nice, adequate players in the rest of your 22 but they are bit part players to the main event - to suggest that they have outshined your dynamic duo is absurd.

Only thing not completely lolworthy in the above is the comment on Tuohy, who has been the AFL recruit of the year IMO. Everything else you've stated is a right laff - Dangerwood are performing at maximum output (which is about as good as footy can be played by human beings) and have conservatively dragged you over the line primarily on their own in 4 games this season. There are perfectly nice, adequate players in the rest of your 22 but they are bit part players to the main event - to suggest that they have outshined your dynamic duo is absurd.
And your retort was equally mirthful. Let's not forget that it was only a few weeks ago our coach had called out Selwood and Dangerfield for performing well below expectations and praised our second tier.

We shan't neglect the statistics of it all though. Let's assume that our second tier is comprised of this group of players - Duncan, Menegola, Motlop, Horlin-Smith, S Selwood, Murdoch, Lang. The tier composition changes on a week to week basis, for any number of reasons - injury, management, structure, form. Of all our games this year, a second tier player statistically outperformed Selwood and Dangerfield on every occasion except for the North, Demons, St Kilda (debatable) Bulldogs (again debatable) and Port games. That's precisely half of our games - not nearly enough to suggest an over-reliance on two players or the inadequacy of their support group. I don't doubt that without Selwood and Dangerfield our side would suffer - take two of the best players from any side and they'll feel immediate repercussions. But it is pure jest to put forth that Dangerwood have been at their optimum throughout the year and have not been outshone for large periods of time by our second tier. That would suggest you haven't been watching Geelong. Selwood and Dangerfield have neither been four-quarter players throughout the year - sometimes bobbing up for halves at a time. If anyone is to praise for our current position, it is an improved group performance from our players deemed (previously, and now seemingly currently) average or "adequate".

How about that for a wild concept! Passionate fans make errant, erratic statements in the heat of the moment! Guess we better take them all as fact!!

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on BigFooty. Our team statistically DOUBLES its defensive performance when he's in the side, and he's only in because of his brother. How's that for a lol. We have players at the moment who aren't even fit to tie his bootlace.

Lolololololol. Of all the teams who have played 5 or more games at the MCG over the past 2 seasons, we have the 3rd best winning percentage at the G in the competition (only the Dogs, and Richmond marginally, are ahead and we have played double the amount of games there as WB). That means our winning % at the G is better than Hawthorn's, Melbourne's, Collingwood's (all of whom call the MCG home), as well as North's, Essendon's, Carlton's, Sydney's, WC's, Brisbane's, GWS's and GC's. Hardly despicable

Go on, prove that they haven't. I doubt Selwood or Danger are leading our B&F at this stage. Seeing as you like to take the 'peoples' word' as fact, you'd find just about every commentator has agreed that Geelong's second tier have stood up repeatedly and even performed beyond Selwood and Dangerfield at large stages of the season.

Forget last two years, I'm talking G this year you will cop a number of losses.
All depends on Dangerfield performance though. No coincidence your three losses coincided with his worst performances.

And if you want to talk about dumbest thing on bf try your Menegola, Duncan SSelwood are A grade mids line. Wow

Last edited:
Hahahaha. What is confusing about putting our "predicament" into perspective with a comparison - you know, as the comparison is intended to be utilised??? Pretty simple stuff. We are certainly not in "no man's land", and no better way to emphasise that than with the self flagellation of another club

If you want to compare the Cats with the Hawks this season in a thread about the Cats making the GF then let me save you more time - the Hawks aint claiming they are a better chance than the Cats.

And do you know the definition of the words you have used in your reply post? Self flagellation?

You really self flagellation me in that reply!!!!

And you start with HAHAAAAAAA

If you weren't so obnoxious you wouldn't look so dim. Or is obnoxious your MO?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. Some teams will simply grind and tag Dangerfield to get him out of the game. Rush his disposal and don't let him have a shot at goal.
Case in point: Geelong Vs Sydney in the Prelim final. Had like 30+ touches. Still got pumped. Alot of those kicks were rushed/ineffective
Which teams? I think Dangerfield is more dangerous this year, goal kicking is right up. If he is struggling as a midfielder he can get pushed forward. Cats looking better than last year in quite a few areas. They definitely look better without Lonergan.

No. Very good at Simonds, but they won't get that advantage in finals. Plus their defence isn't good enough, and they won't string three or four really good games together - recent history will tell you that.

Would love for the dogs to play them at the G in a big final and break the losing streak in an important game like the hawks did a few years back. Two players do not make a premier.
They don't have two players? No-one rated you last year when you finished 7th. Geelong are just doing what they need to do, haven't played GWS and Adelaide yet so that'll be a test but you can't really say they won't stand up.

We are going ok, banking points and that's enough for the moment. It's such an even year, no team looking a stand out at this point in the year. Need to see a bit more of the season yet for about 10 team's prospects I would have thought.

I made a prediction early in this thread early this year somewhere that I think we will be around the top 4 mark, but a step below the very top tier teams. I still hold that view. I think we will finish around 3rd-6th, with the likeliest outcome getting to the prelim stage and falling short on the road to a team like GWS or the Crows.

The dogs showed anything can happen in September, and i think this year is even more wild and evenly matched than last year..the cats do have a chance in a "everything has to go right" situation, but i dont think we have the depth to get to a grand final.

Having said that though, if we manage to beat the crows next week, rest up and after the bye possibly beat the eagles in perth, it puts our hat in ring.

I think we are a much better side with Scott Selwood in the fold, 34 tackles in two games is fantastic pressure for a team that needed a kick in ass in that department. I like our midfield of Dangerfield, J. Selwood, Duncan, Menegola and S.Selwood playing the defensive role / tagger.

You kind of have to rate the top 8, I mean, they are the top 8

Well, I mean there really isn't anyone that has had the aura of Hawthorn or Geelong of the past, even as a team well outside of finals contention I would be pretty optimistic of beating anyone in the top 8, I don't think there are any standout teams this year.

The majority of these posts are absolute bullshit. No-one knows what the **** they're talking about for the most part. Being round 10, with 3 months to go, literally anything can happen. To say Sydney won't make the 8 or Fremantle won't make top 4 is dumb.

Geelong have proven they're genuine top 4 contenders, they did it last year and there is nothing suggesting otherwise this year based on how they're playing. Anything can happen though. They are certainly more than a 2 man side.

Let's take Bontempelli and Wood out of the WB, or Sloane and Walker from Adelaide. Of course without certain players your side will struggle more, but I'd say from what I've seen Geelong has a pretty strong list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back