Preview Geelong V Crows Sat May 6th 2023 2:10 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go back a few weeks .... I was aiming to be 5 and 4 after the Richmond game as it would put us around where we were last year.

Rich ... have the fetid rancid pong of rotten over ripe fruit... what once was fresh and vibrant now looks to be fruit have kept in cold storage room when they lost temperature control. What once worked with their players , doesn't seem to look as good with the players they have now. I thinb no matter what the result this week , pretty good chance to be 5 and 4

The Crows should have beaten the Pies. Shoulda. Woulda. Coulda... the way you win tight games is max your chances. The most under appreciated stat in football in conversion. In some repsects its the most important. Converion is like sales in business. You can make a good product ..but if you don't sell it then its all for nought.

Crows blew it. How they react to that intrigues me more than the players in and out from our side. They have lost 3 games thru bad kicking .. do they drop away .. or come to Geelong hungry to make up for it.

History says they don't like coming to KP. Pretty sure they have not won in Geelong for 20 years, not since 2003 ... no player at Adelaide feels comfortable coming to Geelong. Long may it be so.

Geelong coming off the last 4 weeks.. have restored any slight dints to their confidence. The Crows ruck is playing well. So Ceglar's role will be worth noting ... but we have lost the ruck in many games. It will come down to midfield.

If we get enough ball from the CB... I think we win well. If they do then its gets difficult and will be close but I we still win.

I don't see being torn about whether we can win this game or not, when we're playing a form team with one of the weakest sides we can field, as an 'extreme view' in its own right at all......but I can see it as somewhat diametrically opposed to a '10 - 12 goal win', if that's what you mean.

You reference a strong side: it's not bad, but it's definitely much weaker than the side we could field. Throw in Stengle, Rohan, SDK, Stanley and Henry, and you'd have to admit the team would be much better.

So, in perspective, the Crows will be facing a much weaker team than they otherwise would.

The Crows have been in good form, but have never played GMBHA well. We've always played well against them there, but we're well down on personnel for this game. I'm just not sure where the tipping point is.

My head tells me we SHOULD win, but my gut says the Crows are a sneaky chance. It's as good a chance as they'll get imo.
Yeah that's what I meant, that calling it a 50/50 is at an extreme end as much as saying it'll be a 10 goal win. "Sneaky chance" to Crows is actually a bit closer to the middle - if you played the game 10 times, Geelong probably win 8 and Crows sneak a couple. Definitely different to a coin flip.

Once again, my focus is on the side we have and not how it could be topped up. Ruck is a bit iffy and we'd like to have an extra KPD. I'm happy with the other 20 players and your top 16-18 are what drive you to victories most games anyway. Our top 16 at the moment on form and output are doing incredibly well. I'm looking for improvement on the 5 or 6 who have another level to go to.

The Last Loss we had to the Crows at KP was Round 10 2003

The Team was made up of

3 x 19 Year Olds
2 x 20 Year Olds
6 x 21 Year Olds
2 X 22 Year Olds

Bomber was Playing alot of "Kids"

There was also 13 Players with under 50 games

How things have changed
That game was a toss of the coin for sure. This one not in the same universe.

Hi, if anyone is interested in buying two $50 tickets to the Crows game please contact me. They are two single seats at the end of rows separated by an aisle. Can sell separately.

Horsefeathers!
Which part?

It's technically correct regarding us

• teams have no official ladder position heading into round 1
  • Carlton was sitting 9th when we faced them in round 2
  • GC was 16th when they beat us in round 3

Chris Scott on.. Oisin Mullin​

Oisin has pulled up a little bit sore this morning so he's going to come out of our squad today, and we need to work through exactly what that means. Suffice to say, he will come out but it is worth talking about that he was in our squad for a reason and its reward for the progress he's making. He's getting a bit close, so it was never our intention for him to be our sub but he was close enough to be in the squad but it was just unfortunate that he had a bit of a tight hammy this morning, so we couldn't leave him in the squad.

Chris Scott on.. The Cats’ Longer-Term Injury List

The guys that haven't played for a while are still a way off, so Sam Menegola won't be until the second half of the season, Jack Henry is shaping up to be around the mid-season bye, and Cam Guthrie won't play again this week but hopefully he's a little bit ahead of those guys.

Rhys Stanley is more mid-season bye timeframe roughly, Tyson Stengle will be a bit closer, he's making good progress. As is often the case with players that have upper body injuries the benefit is that they can run really early and Tyson was running really quickly post-surgery, so he'll come to hand a lot quicker than the guys who have lower limb injuries.

Sam De Koning might be a little longer with that facial fracture but it’s a little uncertain in my mind, the medical staff are a little bit clearer than I am, but given he won't play this week or next week, it's out of my headspace right at the minute. And Gary Rohan has a very minor hamstring issue which he was able to play through last week which speaks to the severity or lack thereof but it's likely that we'll be more conservative than not, with him.

The injury list is getting pretty close to unmanageable. Lose another one or two and we won't be able to keep up with the top 4. The stressful thing about the modern competition is how important every single game is...

The injury list is getting pretty close to unmanageable. Lose another one or two and we won't be able to keep up with the top 4. The stressful thing about the modern competition is how important every single game is...
Every club has injuries I hardly think our current situation is unmanageable all the talk has been about how do we get 30 into 23 personally think this will benefit us post bye and don’t see us dropping the next month due to injuries myself.

Every club has injuries I hardly think our current situation is unmanageable all the talk has been about how do we get 30 into 23 personally think this will benefit us post bye and don’t see us dropping the next month due to injuries myself.
It's the quality of players we're missing.
Our best 2 way mid.
Our best tall defender
Our best ruck, and his likely 2 replacements.
Our best small forward
Our best swing player, after Blicavs
We do have depth
Sav has filled in for Henry
Blic for Stanley
Simpson for Stengle
Bruhn for Guthrie
But who for DeK?
Ceglar in this week- does that allow Blic as a KB?
It may be manageable, but only just.
Good though that Parfitt is still trying to regain touch in the 2's instead of being played because of his reputation, and that we have injuries.

It's the quality of players we're missing.
Our best 2 way mid.
Our best tall defender
Our best ruck, and his likely 2 replacements.
Our best small forward
Our best swing player, after Blicavs
We do have depth
Sav has filled in for Henry
Blic for Stanley
Simpson for Stengle
Bruhn for Guthrie
But who for DeK?
Ceglar in this week- does that allow Blic as a KB?
It may be manageable, but only just.
Good though that Parfitt is still trying to regain touch in the 2's instead of being played because of his reputation, and that we have injuries.
Guthrie was just going. Blicavs spike in form has been more important.
Sav will bounce back and Kolo will step up.
Stanley is a miss. Ceglar has been good at GMHBA though.
Forward line is exceptionally potent and firing, and both Simpson and O.Henry have stepped up. Miers and Close blitzing teams, before we get to the twin towers.
Henry in defence would be handy. But I've liked MOC there. Tuohy in provides rebound - Zuthrie, MOC and Kolo can lock down a bit more. We do have defensive depth and our team defence at the ground we're about to play on is first class.

Well and truly manageable. Look how strong our 22 is this week. It might only weaken at players 21 and 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you share the name if you know it?

The Scandals and Rumours board always frustrates the hell out of me, when someone alludes to something and we all have to endlessly play Where's Wally games to guess the player. Would you good if someone knew something, they'd just straight up share it.
Sorry, it's Simpson. Told now he'll play.

Being out of form or low on fitness are bigger concerns than the absentees we have. We've got a really strong first 30 this season. It was more concerning the first 3 rounds with so many players not hitting any kind of fluency. Sides with sizable injury lists this season have done well if their core are doing well. See Collingwood and St Kilda. We are in that group.

I agree that every club has injuries.
I also agree that our current situation is manageable.
My comment was that a few more injuries might prevent us from competing against the top teams.
How many more injuries do you think we can handle before we start dropping games?

My comment was that a few more injuries might prevent us from competing against the top teams.
How many more injuries do you think we can handle before we start dropping games?
It's a huge test for our depth. Let's see how we go.

The hypothetical "if we get even more injuries" game is just a way to worry yourself for no reason. Better to worry about what is in front of us, which is this weeks starting 22, which is a strong 22.

IF Dangerfield, Cameron, Hawkins, Blicavs and Holmes go down during the game we can talk about our match vs Richmond being a close one. Our next "top" team isn't until after the bye, by the way. Adelaide, Richmond, Fremantle and WB are teams around the middle or bottom on current form.

I was thinking today about Jake Kolodjashnij. IIRC, his brother Kade Kolodjashnij was considered the better of the two lads playing-wise. Kade (taken at Pick 5 in the draft) only played 80 games at the GCS & Melb but retired in 2020 due to concussion issues. Meanwhile, Jake (taken at pick 41 in the draft) is now a Premiership player and still going strong. It's funny how life turns out sometimes. I bet when these two boys were drafted, no one thought it would be Jake with the better footy career.

The hypothetical "if we get even more injuries" game is just a way to worry yourself for no reason. Better to worry about what is in front of us, which is this weeks starting 22, which is a strong 22.

IF Dangerfield, Cameron, Hawkins, Blicavs and Holmes go down during the game we can talk about our match vs Richmond being a close one. Our next "top" team isn't until after the bye, by the way. Adelaide, Richmond, Fremantle and WB are teams around the middle or bottom on current form.
As long as those 2 bona fide Champion players are playing for Geelong - then the Cats are a great chance in any game

Re the ones who have now got an opportunity - i like Knevitt -nice mark in that 2nd qtr and id love him to get about 4-5 games in a block row . Simpson he played superbly against Ess -the knock on him as been a lack of pace - but i thought he moved nicely against the Dons - 2 lovely goals - and Geel like playing 3 small forwards - and theve still got them at present

Bruhn hasnt set the world on fire - but there were promising signs - that 1st goalagainst Ess was very good - and in fact i would prefer games put into him than O Henry - because come the finals Geel will have the 3 tall forwards - Tom - Jezza - and Gary - plus the 3 smalls Close/Stengle/Miers - and Sam might be sub

So the forward line is set - so id rather games into Knevitt/Bruhn - because Geel need that midfield boosted

O Henry needs a sprints coach - to athletically somehow improve a hell of alot

As long as those 2 bona fide Champion players are playing for Geelong - then the Cats are a great chance in any game

Re the ones who have now got an opportunity - i like Knevitt -nice mark in that 2nd qtr and id love him to get about 4-5 games in a block row . Simpson he played superbly against Ess -the knock on him as been a lack of pace - but i thought he moved nicely against the Dons - 2 lovely goals - and Geel like playing 3 small forwards - and theve still got them at present

Bruhn hasnt set the world on fire - but there were promising signs - that 1st goalagainst Ess was very good - and in fact i would prefer games put into him than O Henry - because come the finals Geel will have the 3 tall forwards - Tom - Jezza - and Gary - plus the 3 smalls Close/Stengle/Miers - and Sam might be sub

So the forward line is set - so id rather games into Knevitt/Bruhn - because Geel need that midfield boosted

I love most of this post but I reckon you're being harsh on O.Henry. 12 goals from 7 games is a good start for a back up player. He leads, marks and kicks pretty well. You can see he is trying with the defensive stuff - even some chase down tackles - and that part of his game will improve year on year. Is getting the ball around 5 times more each game than his time at the Pies.

I could see him kicking 40+ goals most years as our third tall and that would be a massive win.

I'll always remember the Henry's uncle telling me at our family reunion that Jack was the athlete and Ollie was the natural footballer. Ollie was 14 at the time
He also said Ollie would turn out the better player.

At first thought with 6-7 of best 22 out (depending on where you see Jack Bowes) you would think we would struggle but then I look at the 22 and the only immediate outs with everyone available are Bruhn, Knevitt and Ceglar. The other 3 are probably going to depend on form and match ups.

Also think having 2 backmen out at the one time hurts us. Stewart is a great attacking defender but Henry and Kolo and to a lesser extent SDK provide cover for him. He is a bit see ball get ball and is not a great defender in being able to lock down his opponent because of it and is open to be exposed when "the band" is not together.

I'll always remember the Henry's uncle telling me at our family reunion that Jack was the athlete and Ollie was the natural footballer. Ollie was 14 at the time
He also said Ollie would turn out the better player.
I'm not so sure about that. Jack has a steely resolve that Ollie has yet to display. Perhaps because he was not a natural footballer Jack has had to work harder. I get the feeling he is very coachable and will do whatever is asked of him. He has a team first mentality. I seem to remember hearing that when Jack was first drafted his father said to Chris Scott something along the lines of "he will never let you down". Ollie may prove to be the better player. I hope he does for the club's sake but he has a fair way to go in my book to reach Jack and hopefully the best of Jack is yet to come..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back