Preview Geelong v Port Friday May 10 710 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was posted on the Port Adelaide vs Geelong upcoming Match Thread they created on their board. They seem pretty despondent about playing us at Kardinia coming off a loss but some of the memes including this Carmelo Anthony copypasta got a good chuckle out of me :tearsofjoy:

Third national TV game in four weeks. A classic Friday night footy game deserves a classic result. I can see it now.....

Clock winds down to 15 seconds left in game

ball is kicked to Dixon who turns face to face against De Koning

"You took my family"

moves to the left

"You took my friends"

moves to the right

"You took all that was dear to me"

Clock winds down to 2

"I cant get them back, but I can do this for friendship, FOR MY FRIENDS"

Kicks it, fire coming out of his shoes

"BIG CUMS"

Ball flies over De Konings head, goes straight through the middle. Dixon falls to the ground, exhausted.

"Hinkley.. Senpai... I..."
faints

Final Score
Cats 123
Power 57

I'd play Conway the next 4-5. He's had a decent break since Carlton in the VFL. One 6 day break after this followed by a 9 day break and 7 day break. He's built into the season and should be ready for a block of games. He's not that far off Stanley and we don't learn anything by playing Stanley.

Give Stanley a good training block and a half here or there in the VFL to keep ticking over in the meantime.

What the Coach Said
“Lawson Humphries has been outstanding. Coming into an AFL environment, his first six games have been super and today I thought he was fantastic. Defensively he wins contests and rarely gets beaten, but then he helps us enormously offensively. He has built a really well rounded game and he understands his role within the group.”

Nice! Can’t fault him then. Hopefully he gets a go at senior level in the very near future. You can never have too many elite kicks, especially on both sides of the body.

It will be interesting to see how the MC manages the list over the next couple of weeks - 6 day break from last weeks game then another 6 day break going into the Suns game (probably in wet/slippery conditions) in Darwin and then an 8 day break to GWS game at home.

Most players had an off night against Melbourne. Only ones that were ok were Holmes, Z Guthrie, Aitkens, Dempsey (early), Stengle and Stanley battled hard against Gawn who got off the chain in the last quarter.

Duncan stood out to me as the one who needed a rest. Played well against Carlton but I am not sure his body allows him to back up after short breaks any longer. Having said that I think he would lift for Hawk's milestone game this week. I think he will be managed the week after for the Suns game.

Hawkins was better against Melbourne even though he still went goalless. Think he plays this week and is then Managed for the Suns game the week after to play his club record breaking game at home against GWS.

Rucks will be interesting. I think Witts will beat whoever plays against the Suns out of Stanley and Conway.

Initially I thought Parfitt and MOC would be straight back in this week but then when I looked at who comes out I struggled after Clark. Maybe the MC is saved from that one if Bruhn does not come up.

Players in the VFL chance to play over next couple of weeks

Conway when Stanley is managed
Humphries when Duncan is managed
COS when Hawkins is managed - slots into the backline with Jack Henry to go forward (I am assuming Neale will be out for a while).

Others in the VFL I think are waiting for injuries to open up a spot.
Good post. And getting very difficult to predict.

If you think about it, managing 2 is as much as we have ever done. If I count a ruck swap then maybe we can do 3…but don’t think they will do more than that?

With that in mind we have 2 who were managed last week who should be automatic “ins” plus Toby (managed from VFL) to come in for Rhys. I find it hard to see how they do more than 3 changes in a week unless forced? which is why I find it hard to see how those VFL players get a shot short of 2-3 injuries? We already have 26 in the squad?

As you say, if Neale is out for a while then when they rest Hawk in Darwin (surely) that potentially opens up a spot - although I could see them going with same squad and reshuffling if they wanted to?

This week the outs are harder to pick unless Tanner is one. Maybe Dempsey? I reckon they leave the older players (Hawk, Duncan) to rest in Darwin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie Wines "when we're up and about, we love confrontation and coming at the opposition"
Hmmm Port talking themselves up as being the "hunter" this week after last rounds showdown flop!

"When we're up and about" - i.e. they are a fragile side that relies heavily on confidence. When their confidence is shot, like it is now, they are a rabble.

Debut watch?

It's really looking like a draft bargain... You have to remember he was playing WAFL reserves last year.... Reserves.... thats amazing on what the recruitment team seen in him to draft him...

Dont really care who Port throw out there as we have their measure if we turn up.

For me, there is one glaring issue to our game that id like to see some progress towards addressing starting this week: Our entries inside F50. To me this is a big contributor to Hawkins slide in form, we just arent getting the ball in as well as we should. The long bombs onto the heads of defenders from quick kicks, the chains of handpasses that keep the pressure on, it all equals a more difficult path to goal.

When we transition the ball from an intercept off half back there will inevitably be a possession (usually a mark) that requires the player to wait for options to run forward so he can get the ball to them. That next kick/handpass has brought us undone on a few occasions and has resulted in some sloppy entries that give our forwards little to no chance of creating an efficient scoring chance.

Against Carlton we saw some genuine progress towards dealing with the problem, our efficiency going inside 50 was great that game, but against Melbourne we took a step backward, hopefully we can make some more progress this week and get back on track.

Port's rising injury list in the past week is creating more selection headaches for Geelong than Port

If we don't send a message this week i'd be very surprised.
We need to cement ourselves with a potential chance to go a game clear from the teams below us.

These wins now will help us rest players later in the year going into Finals.
Port have players dropping like flies, they'll be wounded but that means guys itching for a chance to prove themselves come in.
Unpredictable, guys who won't be lazy or content to stop fighting to show they deserve a spot.

We CAN NOT take them lightly.
We need to put them to the sword early and often so they are completely demoralised and go completely into their shells.

Damn. Might bring in someone... not s**t to replace him.
The worst regularly playing KPF this last decade.

Thought your call was harsh at first, since Ben Brown's still running around...but that guy's had injury issues and has had at least 3 seasons of 60 goals.

Dixon hasn't cracked 50 goals in a single season EVER. Mind-blowing how much of a wrap he seems to get from some circles.

I reckon I'd prefer to go against Sweet than Finlayson in the ruck. Sweet is predictable and at best just ok. Finlayson can be a match winner.
I'd love for Conway to be rucking v Finlayson all game.

Sweet would match up well against Tobes in the ruck.

Yeah Finlayson can kick a goal or two (mainly when stationed Forward).

But Conway would have his first AFL game in which he could be the dominant ruck and really feed our mids as he does in the VFL.

It would be great for our mids to be able to get on the fly for once and not have to read the opposition's taps all the time. It could also potentially boost Conway's confidence to get a scalp and own the ruck.

Stanley is so bad (and weak in the contest) that I'm not even confident he'd easily handle a part-timer like Finlayson in the ruck... Dixon will monster either of our guys if he matches up body v body on them (he is just a mature unit).

I'm crossing my fingers for Conway v Finlayson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back