Preview Geelong V Sydney - Rd 7 - Sat May 1st 725 pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clark being "gifted games" is a non-sequitur; that is, it simply doesn't follow from what i wrote. As for skiing clubs.....?!

We are in desperate need of good young talent and, as things stand right now, draft-wise, we may be waiting for quite some time to see any walking through the door. If a few of our young chaps don't become genuine AFL players we may well be struggling for a while. Clark is perhaps the most naturally gifted of the lot, although Holmes from the little we have seen of him looks very promising indeed. I don't buy the line that they are not defensive enough, particularly as the consensus on this forum seems to be that there are too many defenders in the team anyway.
My point being that if he goes home to WA and gets games it won't because he has had to play better and push into a better team.

He has to tick the boxes at Geelong, and he hasn't done enough so far. That is ok, he is a young player - but we don't throw him in at the expense of the greater team goals.

A tackle is only recorded as a stat when it causes a stoppage or a turn over. Dahlhaus had two of those inside 50, 7 score involvements and 2 goal assists. His role is to put pressure on inside 50 and create scoring opportunities, that's exactly what he did on the weekend and, to be frank, he has done all year.
Still how his performed on Saturday was bellow AFL standard...
When he play his best his good for our team, but honestly his form this year he should of been after the first game against Adelaide with Jenkins...

if everyone involved knows he going to be delisted at the end of the year why are we continuing to provide game time? Its the same issue we had with stringer, Sheringham, etc. May as well pump some games into guys we actually have future plans for.

If we were down the bottom of the ladder and not going to play finals then you pump games into the kids

But sitting top 4 the club is surely looking at what's best for this year, and if they believe that Zuth will provide more in the immediate/short term then surely that's the smarter approach

For now Zuth is on the list, so clearly the club does view as being in the plans for this year

The panic and hyperbole at the chance of Zuthrie being picked when the team hasn't even been announced yet is unbelievable.

He won't make or break the game or any other player's career. And if he does get picked and the other players do drop their bottom lip, I wouldn't want them anyway.

Just relax people, plenty of time for melts on Saturday night.

I hope to not intrude. I was training in the army 2016 and got tickets to the prelim. I got on the Geelong train as I was living out west. I was the only swans supporter on the train I think. And straight away I got light hearted comments, then the whole ride they gave me s**t in a fun way. Then on the walk up to the MCG I got stirred by the Geelong fans. Then when I got to my seat I was surrounded by Geelong fans. We all know the first ten minutes of the game and obviously Sydney won. But oh lord the Geelong fans were the most fun I've ever enjoyed a game with. No anger just fun the whole night. Now take me to a game with Richmond and a mum of 3 called me a C...
So to say I'm looking forward to this game is an understatement. Thanks again, Your a great supporter base

I'll projectile vomit.

But seriously, he's actually a great VFL player, consistently among the best on the ground, but that's probably his level, and there's no shame in that. I can't shake the comparisons with past blokes like Sheringham, Schroder, Stringer, Ruggles etc. They dominate the lower level but can't quite make the step up to AFL - too good for VFL, not good enough for AFL. It's higher than most will ever get, so credit to them for that.
This is a really great point. He has been tried a number of times and has been ................. adequate at best. It's time to roll the dice on some developing talent like Holmes and if Zuth, Chook etc step up and make the grade well done to them.

We also need to remind ourselves that not making it with us or in AFL does not mean you are no good or are a loser. Many of us here would give an important body part to be in their shoes to begin with.

he should never of framed it like that as not one person was thinking missing less then 2 games would preclude him from getting called up. He played in the last qtr for crying out loud.
Incorrect. Being the injury sub 2 weeks running means he has played very little as you know, and there is definite speculation that this week he should play 4q- VFL or AFL. That is the question. CS has made it clear that AFL is on his agenda. You are jumping at shadows again.

I hope to not intrude. I was training in the army 2016 and got tickets to the prelim. I got on the Geelong train as I was living out west. I was the only swans supporter on the train I think. And straight away I got light hearted comments, then the whole ride they gave me sh*t in a fun way. Then on the walk up to the MCG I got stirred by the Geelong fans. Then when I got to my seat I was surrounded by Geelong fans. We all know the first ten minutes of the game and obviously Sydney won. But oh lord the Geelong fans were the most fun I've ever enjoyed a game with. No anger just fun the whole night. Now take me to a game with Richmond and a mum of 3 called me a C...
So to say I'm looking forward to this game is an understatement. Thanks again, Your a great supporter base

Feel the same about you guys ;) - definitely one of my favourite supporter bases, and very similar to us in their respectful attitude and easy going light-hearted banter

Last edited:
Ppl are inferring from his choice of words that the support for his inclusion is lukewarm. If they were keen to have him in, CS could have said something like:.

“We really rate Jordan, demonstrated by him being the medical sub for the last two weeks, so he’s definitely in our calculations. We’ll make that call later in the week however.”

I don’t tend to put much stock in an off-the-cuff comment though, seems a bit conspiratorial in its reasoning.

It’ll all come down to positioning I think. They’ve been seemingly reticent to play him at half-back (due to defence/disposal/who knows), so they’d need to find room on the wing/half-forward.

Holmes/Simpson/Okunbor seem the more natural fits as a MOC replacement too.
people looking for negative slants will bump into them.

He isn’t so maybe you should start a petition and find someone who cares about your irrelevant point.

I said name a defender, you didn’t.

I'll sign his petition, as the point he makes is exactly what I would like to see happen myself, Touhy to play back (don't think it's going to throw the team into disarray) and Clark to come in on the wing, with another mid (Holmes/Narkle/Constable) into the side if Kolodjashnij doesn't get up, prefer that to having Guthrie play personally.
No knock on the kid, but after twenty three games in four and a quarter years I think it's fairly obvious he's just not up to it unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope to not intrude. I was training in the army 2016 and got tickets to the prelim. I got on the Geelong train as I was living out west. I was the only swans supporter on the train I think. And straight away I got light hearted comments, then the whole ride they gave me sh*t in a fun way. Then on the walk up to the MCG I got stirred by the Geelong fans. Then when I got to my seat I was surrounded by Geelong fans. We all know the first ten minutes of the game and obviously Sydney won. But oh lord the Geelong fans were the most fun I've ever enjoyed a game with. No anger just fun the whole night. Now take me to a game with Richmond and a mum of 3 called me a C...

Hi Leo! Always a soft spot for us, especially 35m out.

Do you think there might be a reason for this? Specific issues to work on not being done? Defensive work? Chook is the same, in and out.

It's not because they are sh*t or they wouldn't be on the list for long. Sometimes there is an actual real plan behind things.
So despite being good enough Clark has to learn in the reserves. While thev30 year old dalhaus gets to learn in the afl. Last year atkins also got to learn in the afl.

and why is lacking in defensive attributes such a horrible thing.

so many players in the team are lacking in offensive attributes and we never consider dropping them. You don’t have to be good at both défense and offense as long as you are quite good at one at them.

Last edited:
So despite being good enough Clark has to learn in the reserves. While thev30 year old dalhaus gets to learn in the afl. Last year atkins also got to learn in the afl.

so many players in the team are lacking in offensive attributes and we ever consider dropping them.
Horses for courses. Dahlhaus is there for his nous and defensive pressure, as was Atkins last year and we are seeing the benefits this year with his move into defense. I'm sorry I don't have any other lightbulbs for you but I trust they know why they are doing what they are doing with Clark.

Other bits and pieces seem to be gelling so maybe they can get some things right. I might add I am not the greatest fan of Scott or our coaching panel BTW.

so many players in the team are lacking in offensive attributes and we never consider dropping them. You have to be good at both défense and offense as long as you are quite good at one at them.
In football, as in the overwhelming majority of sports, defensive skills are the foundation upon which all other skills are built.

Players who graduate to AFL without having this foundation (usually because their natural talent has been enough to get them by in the juniors) have to be retrained.

And if they prove unable or unwilling to learn, their AFL careers tend to be nasty, brutish and short.

If we were down the bottom of the ladder and not going to play finals then you pump games into the kids

But sitting top 4 the club is surely looking at what's best for this year, and if they believe that Zuth will provide more in the immediate/short term then surely that's the smarter approach

For now Zuth is on the list, so clearly the club does view as being in the plans for this year
If they think that they should all resign on mass.

I'll sign his petition, as the point he makes is exactly what I would like to see happen myself, Touhy to play back (don't think it's going to throw the team into disarray) and Clark to come in on the wing, with another mid (Holmes/Narkle/Constable) into the side if Kolodjashnij doesn't get up, prefer that to having Guthrie play personally.
No knock on the kid, but after twenty three games in four and a quarter years I think it's fairly obvious he's just not up to it unfortunately.
Makes perfect sense to me.

Pretty obvious from Scotty's presser that there won't be any unforced changes, and it'll be 3 in 2 out (med sub change).

For the meat tray -

OUT: Kolo, O'Connor
IN: Clark, Zuthrie (Narkle med sub)

Horses for courses. Dahlhaus is there for his nous and defensive pressure, as was Atkins last year and we are seeing the benefits this year with his move into defense. I'm sorry I don't have any other lightbulbs for you but I trust they know why they are doing what they are doing with Clark.

Other bits and pieces seem to be gelling so maybe they can get some things right. I might add I am not the greatest fan of Scott or our coaching panel BTW.
It’s less horses for courses and more that Scott only wants defensive players. doesnt value offense. Doesnt value the thing that actually excites the fans. The aspect of the game that until recently was a symbol of Geelong and what we stood for as a club.

It explains why we have one of the games great defenders as a fowards coach.

if you arent great at défense you are on the edge.

If you aren’t great at offense then meh, as long as you are good at défense. And even if your défense is faltering recently then we will give you many games until hopefully it works.

In football, as in the overwhelming majority of sports, defensive skills are the foundation upon which all other skills are built.

Players who graduate to AFL without having this foundation (usually because their natural talent has been enough to get them by in the juniors) have to be retrained.

And if they prove unable or unwilling to learn, their AFL careers tend to be nasty, brutish and short.
Dusty only ran one way earlier on and was asked to work on his defensive game too,don't how ever remember him doing in the reserves.:D

so many players in the team are lacking in offensive attributes and we never consider dropping them. You don’t have to be good at both défense and offense as long as you are quite good at one at them.

If a player is selected as a defender or expected to play in defence, wouldn't it be rather reasonable & actually expected that they are proficient in terms of defensive attributes

if you arent great at défense you are on the edge.

If you aren’t great at offense then meh, as long as you are good at défense. And even if your défense is faltering recently then we will give you many games until hopefully it works.
What's with the French? Trying to bamboozle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back