No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

On a serious note, training to win at GMHBA is exactly why they'll not win a premiership. They might be consistently successful in the regular season, but the Grand Final will never be played in Geelong.

On a serious note, training to win at GMHBA is exactly why they'll not win a premiership. They might be consistently successful in the regular season, but the Grand Final will never be played in Geelong.

Maybe they’re banking on Geelong being a covid-safe hub this year and finally getting a home grand final.

I can’t be informed in a balanced way ?
Are you serious ?
Journos & those making documentaries can set an agenda.
Those who want to subscribe to that agenda will.
It’s absolutely hilarious to read people supporting journos etc, yet if you go to a different topic, a topic in which they don’t agree with, the journo is a grub. In some cases, the same journo.
And I hope your last line isn’t insinuating that my own personal opinion is an uneducated opinion

I stand by it mate. If you watched the documentary and still have the same opinion, fair play to you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But yes, I do think it is uneducated in that you only want to come at it from your angle at present.

Journos & those making documentaries can set an agenda.
Yep, happens all the time

Made worse by the fact that anyone can call their movie a documentary and sell it to netflix or stick it on youtube

No need to provide references or fact check.

There are some brilliant docos out there but there are also a bunch of 90 minute ads to sell you something dressed up as docos

*cough* The Magic Pill by Pete Evans, *cough*

I don't think you need to have watched either Goodes doco to have an opinion on the topic that can be discussed

I stand by it mate. If you watched the documentary and still have the same opinion, fair play to you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But yes, I do think it is uneducated in that you only want to come at it from your angle at present.
Ive watched the doco and yes it did change my opinion somewhat. I would no go as far as to say it conclusive for me.

I still found that there was creative license used. There were parts where I genuinely felt sad for Adam as no one wants to see another human suffering but at other times during the document I found myself questioning the telling of the story as their interpretation of events were presented as fact.

I believe that at as avid AFL watcher one could discern where license was used to form a balanced opinion as opposed to people that I know of who watched the documentary and now firmly believe that all AFL fans are racists.

Obviously I do not consider myself to be a racist. I am not foolish enough to believe that casual racism does not exist. A story if I may, I am to attend a friends birthday party for their one year old. I asked should I bring a salad? I was told that is white peoples food, which had us both laughing. The point I am trying to make is that I guess that as difficult as this conversation/thread is, it is a necessary piece of us all being able to move beyond race being the issue it currently is.

Maybe they’re banking on Geelong being a covid-safe hub this year and finally getting a home grand final.

Imagine the interstate uproar if the MCG was nixed as a Grand Final venue just for it to be held at GMHBA. The rage from WA and SA would be palpable.

He gets a mention for something to do with standardising wool classing and taking it away from just being an opinion based exercise.
Gave the farmers one less thing to complain about.

Pretty decent feather in his woollen cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm seeing lots of clubs offering extra memberships for friends of members.

Seems like a PR fail if those people will be locked out and the memberships are useless

All you get is a card/scarf and they get you on their database (which cynically is the point i'd say)

Last edited:
The fish rots from the head.

Yes but in their minds, they win the "moral grand final" every year that it's not held in Geelong. Some posters on the main board probably count them in their total just like they do their 1800s VFA flags.

Perhaps for this year only, games in melbourne should have been allocated according to size of game. that is vic v vic especially large vic v vic at the MCG and vic v non vic at marvel

(Incidentally that was the intention when marvel was built) maybe where rounds after r5 are TBA

round 1 Ess v Haw (Marvel) and Melb v freo (MCG) should be swapped
round 2 StK v Melb (marvel) to the MCG
round 3 Ess v StK (marvel) to the MCG
Round 4 Coll v GWS (MCG) to marvel
round 5 StK v Rich (marvel) to the MCG Carl v PtA (MCG) to marvel
Round 7 Coll v GCS (MCG) to Marvel StK v Haw (Marvel) to MCG
Round 8 Haw v WCE (MCG) to marvel, Nth v Coll (marvel) WB v Carl (marvel) to MCG
round 9 StK v Gee (marvel) to MCG
round 10 Coll v Pta (MCG) to marvel WB v stk (marvel) to MCG
round 11 Rich v adel (MCG) to marvel StK v Nth (marvel) WB v mel (marvel) to MCG

and so on

Last edited:
What I’m curious about is whose members get priority. For example - if the MCG is capped at 50% attendance then should Hawks members get first preference on tickets against other Melbourne teams. Personally I’ll be a little miffed if we only get 50% of the reduced capacity and I miss out on games and away team members get to attend. One of the great things about our game is sitting with opposing fans - but being that 2021 is going to be a bit different I would prefer that home sides get the lion’s share of members getting to attend games.

Yes but in their minds, they win the "moral grand final" every year that it's not held in Geelong. Some posters on the main board probably count them in their total just like they do their 1800s VFA flags.
Guy on talkback said as a mad cats fan he preferred all the extra H&A wins to an extra premiership :rolleyes:

What I’m curious about is whose members get priority. For example - if the MCG is capped at 50% attendance then should Hawks members get first preference on tickets against other Melbourne teams. Personally I’ll be a little miffed if we only get 50% of the reduced capacity and I miss out on games and away team members get to attend. One of the great things about our game is sitting with opposing fans - but being that 2021 is going to be a bit different I would prefer that home sides get the lion’s share of members getting to attend games.
In the case of the MCG it'll probably be each section scaled down 50% (MCC, AFL members, club members, GA).

Then there's the AFL and MCC reserves

I may be cynical, but if our kennedy/gold/silver were limited to 50% attendance, most weeks you wouldnt notice. surely people will need to commit to attend somehow. its more of a thing when vic v vic at marvel

Im reading there will be smartphone ticketing - so you will have a 'reserved' seat no matter what you paid - but I wonder if there be an 'admin' charge - could get a bit heated!

thinking further on that. prolly all games will be ticketed and the various 'levels' will have access to tickets in order timed like finals. perhaps your default reserved seat will be available if its not already taken. this could be why membership cards haven't been sent out yet

Surely we get AFL policy on this soon? Clubs shouldnt be flogging memberships so heavily till thats clear

Last edited:
Unsure about how this will work logistically, but I definitely feel like, on top of having a reserved seat membership, you should need to pre-register your attendance for each game, with all unused seats being available for the next lot of members that wish to attend or to public sale.

Will be the best way to maximise attendances and gate takings.

Perhaps for this year only, games in melbourne should have been allocated according to size of game. that is vic v vic especially large vic v vic at the MCG and vic v non vic at marvel

(Incidentally that was the intention when marvel was built) maybe where rounds after r5 are TBA

round 1 Ess v Haw (Marvel) and Melb v freo (MCG) should be swapped
round 2 StK v Melb (marvel) to the MCG
round 3 Ess v StK (marvel) to the MCG
Round 4 Coll v GWS (MCG) to marvel
round 5 StK v Rich (marvel) to the MCG Carl v PtA (MCG) to marvel
Round 7 Coll v GCS (MCG) to Marvel StK v Haw (Marvel) to MCG
Round 8 Haw v WCE (MCG) to marvel, Nth v Coll (marvel) WB v Carl (marvel) to MCG
round 9 StK v Gee (marvel) to MCG
round 10 Coll v Pta (MCG) to marvel WB v stk (marvel) to MCG
round 11 Rich v adel (MCG) to marvel StK v Nth (marvel) WB v mel (marvel) to MCG

and so on
The problem with this approach is that the interstate teams don't get a chance to play on the G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back