General AFL Discussion #7 - Carlton Supporters ONLY !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a tough month from Jun 8 to Jul 6 where we play Geel, WC in Perth, Hawks and Pies second time around. I think that 4 weeks will tell us if we will need to travel to Perth again to reach the GF.

I do not fear Hawthorn whatsoever. If you're within striking distance at 3/4 time against them then you have every right to feel as though you're dead certs to win. Hawthorn have proven themselves time and again to falter when called upon to close teams out in big matches.

The only fear whatsoever is playing West Cheat Eagles in an away prelim. It's up to us to finish first or second and ensure that doesn't happen.

The only team I've feared all year, and nothing has changed after the first three games.
Not feeling the concern for West Coast just yet, and doubt I will.

Playing as we are now, Im fairly confident we can get geelong. We were an unconscious robbie warnock kick away from beating them last year, and we are a much better team this year. West Coast are travelling down injury road, and the players that are injured are the ones that have hurt us in the past. Although Im looking forward to Nic Nat trying to jump over Hampson.

The Hawks are the only team i have some concerns about. And North believe it or not who we beat but always scare the life out of us doing it

We have a tough month from Jun 8 to Jul 6 where we play Geel, WC in Perth, Hawks and Pies second time around. I think that 4 weeks will tell us if we will need to travel to Perth again to reach the GF.

Hopefully, at some point soon the club can readjust it's internal goal to finish top two and avoid having to travel at all.

The only team I've feared all year, and nothing has changed after the first three games.

Jury is still out on West Coast as this stage. They've had 3 very serious injuries to key players, and they wouldn't want to lose another one. And have a look who they have played - Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and GWS. These 3 teams will finish in the bottom 6 this year.

Reckon we matchup pretty well against them as well.

Henderson - Lynch
Jamison - Kennedy
Laidler - Darling

When they push Cox/NicNat forward, this is where I can see us struggling. We'd have to have either Bower or Thornton in the 22 to cope with their 4 talls up forward.

Their midfield is really even, with no-one really standing out. A very even spread - Masten, Kerr, Gaff, Shuey & Selwood.

Down back is where they are the weakest - teams need to get the ball in quickly and keep their back 6 seperated. Will be a great challenge when we face them at Subi again later in the year.

Hawthorn have major issues in the ruck and down back, and North Melbourne really exposed Geelong yesterday in the ruck with Goldstein and McIntosh.

Jury is still out on West Coast as this stage. They've had 3 very serious injuries to key players, and they wouldn't want to lose another one. And have a look who they have played - Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and GWS. These 3 teams will finish in the bottom 6 this year.

Henderson - Lynch
Jamison - Kennedy
Laidler - Darling

When they push Cox/NicNat forward, this is where I can see us struggling. We'd have to have either Bower or Thornton in the 22 to cope with their 4 talls up forward.

Their midfield is really even, with no-one really standing out. A very even spread - Masten, Kerr, Gaff, Shuey & Selwood.

Down back is where they are the weakest - teams need to get the ball in quickly and keep their back 6 seperated. Will be a great challenge when we face them at Subi again later in the year.

Hawthorn have major issues in the ruck and down back, and North Melbourne really exposed Geelong yesterday in the ruck with Goldstein and McIntosh.
I agree that with them sending their 2nd ruckman forward could really stretch us but I think either Bower or Thornton should be the choice for Lynch as I see him as their weakest link.

Henderson could really exploit Cox if that were the match up and has a better chance then most to go with Nic Nat both in the air and on the ground. Jamo should take Kennedy IMO.

That's the thing isn't it?
Every team has some glaring weaknesses, or at least perceived weakness.

Could be some real surprises through the course of this year.
No one is invincible any more.

Henderson - Lynch
Jamison - Kennedy
Laidler - Darling

There are 2 ways you could look at this, and it depends a little on where certain players are at by the time we play them. For example, if Hammer has a bag of goals they need to worry about him going forward as much as we need to worry about one of their rucks. It might be that they feel more stretched than we do and send their rucks with our rucks into our fwd line.

And then there is the opposite, instead of worry who picks up their rucks when they are fwd, our rucks stay with their rucks. I would back Hammer and Kruzes fitness and endurance next to an ageing Cox and NicNat.

They have 2 quality rucks that can go forward, but so do we. We have 2 extra talls that we didnt have last 2 times we played them, Waite and Hammer. If fit and firing, we pose as many issues to them as they do to us. Plus we have the mids and pacy smalls to run them off their feet. Subi is not an unhappy hunting ground for us when we have a fit and firing team.

Dont fear them one bit over here, and only a bit over there. Another cant wait game.

I just don't understand it. They cannot run out games, they haven't got the rucks to run with Kreuze and if we put Hammer into the forward line, which we will, then they have no standout choices to oppose him.

I agree WC has beaten nobody but WC and Hawthorn both pose problems with matchups that are always a challenge
Geelong will always have skill and Coll should not be written off
And as Hunry mentioned on SEN this morning we still have to face Richmond again this season (quaking in my boots)

Playing as we are now, Im fairly confident we can get geelong. We were an unconscious robbie warnock kick away from beating them last year, and we are a much better team this year. West Coast are travelling down injury road, and the players that are injured are the ones that have hurt us in the past. Although Im looking forward to Nic Nat trying to jump over Hampson.

The Hawks are the only team i have some concerns about. And North believe it or not who we beat but always scare the life out of us doing it

North? Only seem to play them at docklands these days, but if they made the finals and we played on the "G", north would have no hope, Rd16 is our date for them this year at ethiad again, and because of this it will be a very close game.

I just don't understand it. They cannot run out games, they haven't got the rucks to run with Kreuze and if we put Hammer into the forward line, which we will, then they have no standout choices to oppose him.

But they're left footers, are the best kicking side in the league and they have Rioli. Enough said.
O.K., sorry Hawks fans, but how many time can you hear this before you need to put a couple of fingers down the throat?

I don't know Wiki. I had no fear of Collingwood, am not concerned about Geelong, yet Hawthorn just strikes a funny chord with me.
Not saying we can't do them, but just haven't the same comfort level when the Hawthorn name comes up.

That's the thing isn't it?
Every team has some glaring weaknesses, or at least perceived weakness.

Could be some real surprises through the course of this year.
No one is invincible any more.

Some of those mid level teams are steping up for their shot at the big time, and on current form and inuries, you'd have to suggest that some of the guys at the top for the last few years may be dropping down a bit.

The cycle continues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of those mid level teams are steping up for their shot at the big time, and on current form and inuries, you'd have to suggest that some of the guys at the top for the last few years may be dropping down a bit.

The cycle continues

Was just posting on the main board that I reckion North are in with a real show for top 4 this year.

Travelling well, dream draw, slight drop off in form of the Pies and Cats, injuries at the Eagles and the win against Geelong certainly helped.

Anywhere from 4th - 6th this year.

Was just posting on the main board that I reckion North are in with a real show for top 4 this year.

Travelling well, dream draw, slight drop off in form of the Pies and Cats, injuries at the Eagles and the win against Geelong certainly helped.

Anywhere from 4th - 6th this year.

I agree. was saying that to a colleague at work today. Beating the cats has changed their fortunes a little more for the better (if that was possible).... GWS twice, GC twice, WB twice.

Though, Just watch them get pumped by 12 goals at the G... the one time they play there.... against Richmond

Watch them get pumped by the Weagles by 15 goals at Subi.

Luckily for us the Weagles are playing them 6 days before they play the blues.

Agreed with Malifice. I was discussing it with a friend before yesterday's game that even if they beat GWS and Gold Coast twice they'll likely need 12 or 13 wins to make the finals this year. He turned around and said that they'd beat Geelong (6 day break from the hard win against Hawthorn with North Melbourne effectively playing the bye the week before) convincingly and win 14 or 15 games fairly comfortably.

have seen North before fall into a heap and have to scratch their way back into respectability later in the season. I just don't think they have the depth. as Parko says as the season goes on players get tired and are physically and mentally not capable of it. Riding a wave as we are now and being much more mature in those areas should keep us up all the way through hopefully even with the odd injury here and there

I think the LeCras, Nicoski, and Embley injuries will weigh them down later in the season.

Though they look very very very impressive.

Bah they'll lose next week and never look like winning after 3 quarter time. Then middle of the road sides will trouble them away like Essendon in Round 7 and North in Round 15. They'll make finals, probably top 4 but only because almost all of the contenders they face at home.

Holy s**t, just checked their draw. That is butter soft.

Collingwood's Week

Well, I was content just to beat them by 60 points.

I certainly couldn't have hoped for a very public lambasting of the new coach from the supporter base a mere 3 games in, a verbal melee between the former coach and president, a hysterical supporter-base bashing of their recent premiership players, accusations of their premiership coach having 'no friends' left at the club and a senseless trashing of a great game plan that got them into the last two grannies and even won one of them.

And it's only Tuesday morning.

If that's what happens when you press the button marked 'thrash Collingwood', let's do it again...

Re: Collingwood's Week

I've absolutely loved this week. For the past 5 times that we have lost to Collingscum, we have just copped it on the chin and moved on. We beat, nay, thrash them once and their club has seemingly started to implode.

Sucked. In.

Re: Collingwood's Week

Reload this Page hamish mclachlan and wikipedia - a must read for every footy fan - now going nuts on the interwebz
hammerhatesdogs1.gif

That thread is unbeatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back