Updated George Pell * Dead at 81yo

Remove this Banner Ad

Pell is thought to have died of cardiac arrest. I wonder if he'll be buried in Rome or be brought back to Australia and who's going to pay for it.

Pell is thought to have died of cardiac arrest. I wonder if he'll be buried in Rome or be brought back to Australia and who's going to pay for it.

Given I know what some would love to do to his grave, I'd be surprised if he's buried here.

Yeh I can't see him coming back here either, especially not to Ballarat.
I'm in Ballarat and surrounds daily, and know many people impacted by his actions (or inactions) over decades - there would be a queue with spray cans, sledge hammers and full bladders keen to express their sentiments at his passing. (Not me btw, I'm just disgusted with him as a human being, but understand the feelings of victims of clerical abuse - and their families.)

I'm in Ballarat and surrounds daily, and know many people impacted by his actions (or inactions) over decades - there would be a queue with spray cans, sledge hammers and full bladders keen to express their sentiments at his passing. (Not me btw, I'm just disgusted with him as a human being, but understand the feelings of victims of clerical abuse - and their families.)

& he died a free man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If someone dies in the work place, directors face criminal negligence and jail time

Yet whether George committed acts himself or it happened under his watch, he was deemed not guilty. There is a gap in law that needs to be closed.

& he died a free man.
And many victims of clerical abuse perpetrators he protected are alive and far from free.

Heard an interesting perspective just before on ABC Melbourne radio, didn't catch the name of the commenter, but essentially he said Pell devised the "Melbourne response" (something some give him credit for as the "first Catholic Church redress scheme in the world") to deliberately cut across a separate (far more expansive) initiative by several Australian bishops. Pell's intent was to limit the liability of the church to the victims - there was not a shred of empathy involved, it was purely $$$ to him.

And many victims of clerical abuse perpetrators he protected are alive and far from free.

Heard an interesting perspective just before on ABC Melbourne radio, didn't catch the name of the commenter, but essentially he said Pell devised the "Melbourne response" (something some give him credit for as the "first Catholic Church redress scheme in the world") to deliberately cut across a separate (far more expansive) initiative by several Australian bishops. Pell's intent was to limit the liability of the church to the victims - there was not a shred of empathy involved, it was purely $$$ to him.
The Melbourne response was where Pell Bullied victims into silence , not a slither of pastoral care or responsibility for the churches actions and inactions. It was disgusting and showed Pell cared nothing for the victims , he was all about the churches bottom line and good name.

They discuss here his choice of career over humanity . On TV tonight they showed a clip of him saying “peodophiles are prodigious liars” :rolleyes:

He was a company man. He did what he did to preserve the power and the assets of the church. If that meant thrashing victims of abuse through the courts and boxing them into tiny settlements, that was fine by him. Duty done.

His apprentice years were spent back in Ballarat. Child abuse was rife in the diocese. The bishop knew and did nothing. Children told Pell a priest was abusing their classmates. He did not investigate. He sat on a committee that gave the contemptible Gerard Ridsdale a fresh parish. Years later, he claimed not to know – as others did – that Ridsdale was an unrepentant, compulsive abuser.

Swimming was his pastime. He loved to romp with kids in the Ballarat pool. Hot afternoons saw him in the shallow end tossing eight-year-olds in the air. One day an official at Torquay who didn’t know who Pell was told him to piss off from the changing rooms and not come back.

The teachers came to Pell begging him to remove the priest. The parents called for him to be sacked. The headteacher of the school put his job on the line to see the priest gone. The headteacher was removed. They did make Searson hand in his gun.

When he became – again, to the surprise of many Catholics – archbishop of Melbourne he instituted what he boasted was the first church scheme in the world to compensate victims. By this time settlements running into the millions were being reached in the US. But the Melbourne Response, as it was called, paid victims about $50,000, made them sign away their rights to sue and, for a time, bound them to silence.

The church spent more money on lawyers than compensating those whose lives had been wrecked by their paedophile employees.

Of course he knew. He was told over and over and over again, per Slartibartfast post just above.

Ridsdale in particular, so many instances of parents, children, teachers telling Pell. And what did Pell do? Protected Ridsdale and accompanied him to court!

And part of his defence at the RC was to throw Frank Little under the bus. (Whether Little was culpable or not, Pell availed himself of the convenient fact that Little was dead and couldn't defend himself.)

Pell is an odious human being, a protector of paedophiles who preyed on innocent children, and the 'pool stories' concerning him directly are not figments of the imagination of too many Ballarat people.

Into the selectively loving arms of Fr Peter Searson.
Searson: "George, I prefer a younger demographic in my arms".

State funeral incoming.
Eulogy by Anthony Abbott.

Into the selectively loving arms of Fr Peter Searson.
Searson: "George, I prefer a younger demographic in my arms".

State funeral incoming.
Eulogy by Anthony Abbott.
There will not be a state funeral for Pell in NSW or VIc.

Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews today said he had not received a request for a state funeral, and rejected the prospect of hosting one.
"There won't be a state memorial service," he said.
"I couldn't think of anything that would be more distressing for victim-survivors than that."

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet also confirmed there would be no state funeral service in the state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back