Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would of thought a quality small forward would be preety high up on our needs list.
I know Linc is great but he hasn't proved a lot yet and is injury prone.
Devon Smith.

Yeah it should be. Would be damn hard to get it done though.
Are there any who are either out of contract or a free agent that are worth pursuing?

I do think Black can play but he's hard to assess at the minute given it's been so long now since he was looking the goods and playing well for Nth Melbourne.

I would of thought a quality small forward would be preety high up on our needs list.
I know Linc is great but he hasn't proved a lot yet and is injury prone.
A quality anything is always good but..we just can not trade everything in that we want. If the FA rules change perhaps the ability to trade in more players will become easier.

Are there any who are either out of contract or a free agent that are worth pursuing?

I do think Black can play but he's hard to assess at the minute given it's been so long now since he was looking the goods and playing well for Nth Melbourne.

As far as I can tell (I will have missed some names) these are the key forwards out of contract in 2017 at each club (bolded are free agents italics denotes rookie listed player)

Adelaide
Harry Dear

Brisbane
Josh Schache
Daniel McStay
Michael Close
Jonathan Freeman

Carlton
Levi Casboult
Liam Jones
Harry McKay

Collingwood
Jesse White
Mitch McCarthy

Essendon
Mitch Brown
Joe Daniher
Shaun McKernan

Fremantle
Matt Taberner

Gold Coast
nil

Hawthorn
Tim O'Brien
Ryan Schoenmakers
Luke Surman

Melbourne
Sam Weideman

North Melbourne
Lachlan Hansen
Jarrad Waite
Sam Durdin

Port Adelaide
Brett Eddy

Richmond
Todd Elton
Callum Moore

St Kilda

Nick Riewoldt (won't leave)

Sydney
Sam Reid

Western Bulldogs
Jack Redpath
Stewart Crameri

West Coast Eagles
Jack Darling
Tom Lamb
Fraser McInness
Drew Petrie

When you filter out guys like Riewoldt and Daniher who won't leave there is not heaps there. The McKay twins are both good players if you want a 'young kid with lots of potential but isn't certain to make it' although in our situation a more mature KPF would be better. Reid is a good player but made of tissue paper, he is also just ending a huge $ 5 year deal at Sydney so he would want to be expecting a lot less $ from a new club to be considered. Darling is a good player if you can iron out some kinks and he is at least durable, not that I expect he would leave Perth anyway. Crameri is a decent player but not really the CHF type we are after and Redpath is an honest battler. Weideman or Schache would be the best 2 of that list but both would cost more in $ and picks than I think we can manage and I doubt they leave their clubs anyway. Our best chance of trading in a top end KPF went when 2MP re-signed a few weeks ago. For now we probably have to go with what we have and try and make it work.

A quality anything is always good but..we just can not trade everything in that we want. If the FA rules change perhaps the ability to trade in more players will become easier.

One thing to bear in mind re any Devon Smith trade is GWS are in a points bind as their 2017 first rounder will get stripped (due to the whitfield penalty) and they have already traded their 2017 2nd rounder (to carlton in the marchbank trade ended up with Hawthorn) and their 2017 3rd rounder (to Richmond in Deledio trade) so they currently have Collingwood's 2017 2nd rounder (traded for Will Hoskin-Elliot) and St Kilda's 2017 2nd rounder (traded for Jack Steele) but these are their only 2 picks in the top 50. So for the first time in many years they are genuinely short of the points needed to get their academy guys. This means they may not actually care much what pick numbers we trade for Smith so long as the points are equivalent to about pick 10-12 (this is about where I rate him and it would help them with academy).

For an example of how that might look:
Carlton finishes 15th so we have pick 22 plus our own 2nd rounder (let's say we finish 3rd again so that is pick 34).
We do another trade that nets us pick 31 (you can see from the Caddy trade how this is possible).
22 and 31 = 1451 points equivalent to pick 9 get traded to GWS. As we retain 34 it's legal for us to do that.

Not saying we would but it's more possible than in most years because of their points issues.

Last edited:
Our best chance of trading in a top end KPF went when 2MP re-signed a few weeks ago. For now we probably have to go with what we have and try and make it work.

Wright got brought up a lot on this board but he was never a chance of being traded here.

To me our last draft suggests to me that they won't be trading in a KPF in the short to medium term.

Wright got brought up a lot on this board but he was never a chance of being traded here.

To me our last draft suggests to me that they won't be trading in a KPF in the short to medium term.

You are probably right although I wouldn't not recruit a young KPF because we took House (given he is a mature player he can fill a need but I would still develop others) and I think both Buzza and Ratugolea are likely to be long shots to make it but I agree with you. I think if all else fails either Taylor or Henderson will end up at CHF in the short term (both are capable) and we won't draft a young CHF for a year or two. Historically Wells also likes to trade in his talls so he might wait until there is one he can trade for at CHF rather than drafting any more.

What would we need to do to get Darling now PO,I and plenty of others were spewing when we kept over looking him in the 2010 draft.

He would have to want out for starters WCE wouldn't let him go easily. Despite his failing in the finals this year he is proven and durable and has a lot of years left in him so I would say a mid to late first rounder is the ballpark. The issue for us would be if he decided to go there will be Melbourne based clubs who can offer more $$$ as they have more cap room than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would have to want out for starters WCE wouldn't let him go easily. Despite his failing in the finals this year he is proven and durable and has a lot of years left in him so I would say a mid to late first rounder is the ballpark. The issue for us would be if he decided to go there will be Melbourne based clubs who can offer more $$$ as they have more cap room than us.
Taking Smedts over Darling wasn't Well's finest moment.Yep agree little chance we will get a second hit at him that horse has bolted.

Short to middle ( 2-4 years?) , I cant agree with that totally.

Sure we have drafted a couple of young prospects but we have not brought in any gold class young KPF draftee , likewize, we have not brought in a lock and load mature. It seems a lot of hope rides with the players that we drafted , to me moneyball type picks like House and young long shots kids like Rat may easily not work out. Meanwhile Hawkins is 29 this year and may soon have maintenance issues (not unusual for KPF like him) .. If he gets to 32 and is still at his best it would unusual if not surprising.That would indicate a short timeline before something will be needed. To exclude trading someone in based on the players we have drafted atm , would seem to clash with the way we have approached the last few years. If Rat and Buz do not progress , or House just falls short then I can see us trying to trade someone in..especially if we are still in and about the top group of clubs.

I do agree they have at least added some players with the basis of a future KPF. What we do in the short to middle depends on how one or any of them develop and how quickly they develop.

The signing of 2mp alters his availability. He may cost a bit more in trade contracted but if GC don't progress and he wants out , history would say players usually get where they want to get to. And GC do have a young 198cm KPF in their academy this year.

As far as I can tell (I will have missed some names) these are the key forwards out of contract in 2017 at each club (bolded are free agents italics denotes rookie listed player)

Adelaide
Harry Dear

Brisbane
Josh Schache
Daniel McStay
Michael Close
Jonathan Freeman

Carlton
Levi Casboult
Liam Jones
Harry McKay

Collingwood
Jesse White
Mitch McCarthy

Essendon
Mitch Brown
Joe Daniher
Shaun McKernan

Fremantle
Matt Taberner

Gold Coast
nil

Hawthorn
Tim O'Brien
Ryan Schoenmakers
Luke Surman

Melbourne
Sam Weideman

North Melbourne
Lachlan Hansen
Jarrad Waite
Sam Durdin

Port Adelaide
Brett Eddy

Richmond
Todd Elton
Callum Moore

St Kilda

Nick Riewoldt (won't leave)

Sydney
Sam Reid

Western Bulldogs
Jack Redpath
Stewart Crameri

West Coast Eagles
Jack Darling
Tom Lamb
Fraser McInness
Drew Petrie

When you filter out guys like Riewoldt and Daniher who won't leave there is not heaps there. The McKay twins are both good players if you want a 'young kid with lots of potential but isn't certain to make it' although in our situation a more mature KPF would be better. Reid is a good player but made of tissue paper, he is also just ending a huge $ 5 year deal at Sydney so he would want to be expecting a lot less $ from a new club to be considered. Darling is a good player if you can iron out some kinks and he is at least durable, not that I expect he would leave Perth anyway. Crameri is a decent player but not really the CHF type we are after and Redpath is an honest battler. Weideman or Schache would be the best 2 of that list but both would cost more in $ and picks than I think we can manage and I doubt they leave their clubs anyway. Our best chance of trading in a top end KPF went when 2MP re-signed a few weeks ago. For now we probably have to go with what we have and try and make it work.
Both Scache & McStay look like they could be allright.
Weideman would my pick but prob couldn't happen.

I posed the question in a main board thread regarding Devon Smith and 2 posters (1 from GWS and 1 who seems to have Ballarat ties but supports Carlton) indicated that Geelong are into Hopper from GWS and that It's a serious interest.

I posed the question in a main board thread regarding Devon Smith and 2 posters (1 from GWS and 1 who seems to have Ballarat ties but supports Carlton) indicated that Geelong are into Hopper from GWS and that It's a serious interest.
Yes read that with interest. Be pleased if that came to pass.

Went to my school reunion at St Pats ballarat last year and the director of football (yes there is such a position) made mention of Hopper saying that old timers reckon he was the best product to have come through the school in past 25 years.

Well that throws the whole buying a house in Geelong theory right out the window
It's not to say we still aren't interested in Smith or him in us.

Hopper is a Ballarat boy so it makes a little sense.

Yes read that with interest. Be pleased if that came to pass.

Went to my school reunion at St Pats ballarat last year and the director of football (yes there is such a position) made mention of Hopper saying that old timers reckon he was the best product to have come through the school in past 25 years.
I take it he was a boarder there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back