Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course GC would be keen to get their hands on JK. It's no secret as to why either...
Share the secret..? ;) Think maybe Suns have addressed needs down back apart from the unknown (injuries) and so have we.

The Kolo twins are a little bit different as players. Very glad that JK was given the luxury to develop in the VFL, KK was an early starter and paid the price. I would be happy to have either in my team.

Share the secret..? ;) Think maybe Suns have addressed needs down back apart from the unknown (injuries) and so have we.

The Kolo twins are a little bit different as players. Very glad that JK was given the luxury to develop in the VFL, KK was an early starter and paid the price. I would be happy to have either in my team.
I'd be happier to have both... ;)

I posed the question in a main board thread regarding Devon Smith and 2 posters (1 from GWS and 1 who seems to have Ballarat ties but supports Carlton) indicated that Geelong are into Hopper from GWS and that It's a serious interest.
If we are into a Giants out of contract player I would hope that it is Josh Kelly

Looks to me more like he's being slotted to take over from Lloyd.

PS, seriously, it just looks like he's taking over from the Chief Recruiting Officer (? name) we lost to another club last year.

It just reminds me how they shuffled Hocking around

He'd cost more than a first rounder. I dint think they'd let him go. They'd more likely to let one of the older mids go and bank the cash and picks. Someone is bound to attract a Treloar level offer and it can't hurt to smooth out that age profile.

It will be interesting though because in previous years they have had a lot of early picks plus a lot of players of currency to trade off for early picks (Tyson, Treloar etc types). This year they have draft penalties so their first rounder is gone, their 2nd rounder they traded to Carlton and their 3rd rounder they traded in the Deledio deal. They only have 2 picks inside 50 which are the 2nd rounders they got from Collingwood (Hoskin Elliot) and St Kilda (Steele) so with some good academy guys coming in they need more points. And they don't have a lot of 'tradeable' currency outside their best 22 as they have gutted their depth in previous trade periods. I suspect that with both salary cap and the picks they will need they will probably have to let one of Smith or Kelly or Patton or Hopper or Kennedy go (for the record if I was them Smith is the one I would let go because as good as he is small forwards are not hard to bring in and their forward line is stacked). If you look at it our way we will have an early 20s pick (Carlton's 2nd rounder) if we got another pick in the 20s and offered those 2 picks for a Smith or Hopper type they are worth about pick 7 in points and they would have to take it as they need the points badly. But we could realistically only get one not both.

The other interesting thing for me will be the future pick stuff again, obviously we don't know if we will have a 2017 1st rounder (we will if Motlop goes) but if some of our father son kids come on this year (Brownless, Scott et al) the smart strategy would be to try and trade off the 2018 1st for something of value and trade in some later picks (think 2018 3rds) to use on the bids as the 1st rounder would get swallowed in a bid anyway. If the only penalty the AFL could impose was stopping us trading future 1sts in 19/20 until we meet the 2 in 4 rule then we might just cop it and do that whereas if they could impose a bigger penalty then we wouldn't.

I'm more confident of Kolo going than Motlop. Mots needs a big season for other clubs to even consider him plus no guarantee he'll remain at the club. Its a make or break year for him.

Fairly certain it's the last year for Mackie & Lonergan.

I also think due to our fairly competitive list structure, players like H-S & Murdoch will request to be traded due to lack of opportunities and game time. Surely they are sick of playing in the 2s.

I even potentially think one of Stanley, Smith or Blicavs could walk if they aren't named regularly in the squad.

I think there is still plently of strong interest in Cockatoo from other clubs and believe he will be heavily targeted at the trade table at end of 2017.

Clubs only didn't want to trade for Motlop as they knew they could get him 12 months later for free (cash only) it's the same issue with us not likely wanting to trade a lot for Ablett at the end of 2017 as he is a free agent 12 months later.

After seeing what we got for guys like Kersten HS and Murdoch have bugger all trade value. The only thing that helps is is they are contracted so we have some leverage but still I doubt we get much.

Blicavs is unlikely to be traded as the club really rates him and Smith and Stanley don't have enough runs on the board to get more than 2nd/3rd rounders and for that we may as well keep him.

Kolo is one of the few young best 22 players I would be willing to trade as a) we have good depth in KPDs and b) it's not that hard to get KPD's with late draft picks. However I would only do it for something we really needed and not for a 33 yo. My willingness to trade Kolo to GC dropped when Peter Wright re-signed.

Cockatoo I agree with you on clubs will definitely chase after him this year.

On the Kolo to Gold Coast item.....there is a player at Gold Coast that does want to come back to Geelong isn't there? Could all end up being linked.

I could see some sort of Kolo/GAJ trade deal being done. I'm not saying I want to see this happen, but it would not surprise me.

I wouldn't be against trading Kolo per se but not for a 33 yo who is a free agent the following year and who might only have a year or two left. It's a bad idea to trade best 22 players in that sort of trade. Ablett would need to be a cheap trade in terms of picks or players for me to want to do it.

It will be interesting though because in previous years they have had a lot of early picks plus a lot of players of currency to trade off for early picks (Tyson, Treloar etc types). This year they have draft penalties so their first rounder is gone, their 2nd rounder they traded to Carlton and their 3rd rounder they traded in the Deledio deal. They only have 2 picks inside 50 which are the 2nd rounders they got from Collingwood (Hoskin Elliot) and St Kilda (Steele) so with some good academy guys coming in they need more points. And they don't have a lot of 'tradeable' currency outside their best 22 as they have gutted their depth in previous trade periods. I suspect that with both salary cap and the picks they will need they will probably have to let one of Smith or Kelly or Patton or Hopper or Kennedy go (for the record if I was them Smith is the one I would let go because as good as he is small forwards are not hard to bring in and their forward line is stacked).

Given that they need points not picks it won't be hard to accumulate early picks worth of points we you also add in the discount.
The last two years they've spent 3353 and 3169 points matching bids. The two second rounders they already have will be worth roughly 1400 points

I think Smith and Tomlinson are the two they'll try to trade out. Getting early 2nd rounders for each would give them close to 3000 points

Beyond them Kennedy could walk if he doesn't get opportunity at AFL level. Someone could always chase the money like Treloar did. And they can always fit in list spots with mature aged players like they did with De Boer.

I think Patton and Hopper would be considered untradeable

For them the difference between now and last years is they wont be able to trade in someone like Deledio nor will they be able to sneak a pick ahead of their bids.

If you look at it our way we will have an early 20s pick (Carlton's 2nd rounder) if we got another pick in the 20s and offered those 2 picks for a Smith or Hopper type they are worth about pick 7 in points and they would have to take it as they need the points badly. But we could realistically only get one not both.

The other interesting thing for me will be the future pick stuff again, obviously we don't know if we will have a 2017 1st rounder (we will if Motlop goes) but if some of our father son kids come on this year (Brownless, Scott et al) the smart strategy would be to try and trade off the 2018 1st for something of value and trade in some later picks (think 2018 3rds) to use on the bids as the 1st rounder would get swallowed in a bid anyway. If the only penalty the AFL could impose was stopping us trading future 1sts in 19/20 until we meet the 2 in 4 rule then we might just cop it and do that whereas if they could impose a bigger penalty then we wouldn't.

TBH I think I'd pass on Smith. I'd rather take the picks needed to trade him in to the draft.

I'm not sure how much flexibility we have to trade any of our first rounders. Theirs a good chance that our first round pick is ahead of our potential f/s bids and if it isn't we'd need to you it for the points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that they need points not picks it won't be hard to accumulate early picks worth of points we you also add in the discount.
The last two years they've spent 3353 and 3169 points matching bids. The two second rounders they already have will be worth roughly 1400 points

I think Smith and Tomlinson are the two they'll try to trade out. Getting early 2nd rounders for each would give them close to 3000 points

Beyond them Kennedy could walk if he doesn't get opportunity at AFL level. Someone could always chase the money like Treloar did. And they can always fit in list spots with mature aged players like they did with De Boer.

I think Patton and Hopper would be considered untradeable

For them the difference between now and last years is they wont be able to trade in someone like Deledio nor will they be able to sneak a pick ahead of their bids.

TBH I think I'd pass on Smith. I'd rather take the picks needed to trade him in to the draft.

I'm not sure how much flexibility we have to trade any of our first rounders. Theirs a good chance that our first round pick is ahead of our potential f/s bids and if it isn't we'd need to you it for the points.

Agree with a fair bit of that. Some thoughts:
-I think it will be interesting as they won't have a lot of say in who goes because they have some top 22 guys out of contract and when out of contract players nominate a club they generally get there. So they will have some say in the actual trade deal but they won't really be able to pick and choose who stays.

-I would think Kennedy is a priority as is Hopper given they are locals but Steele was a local and he walked so they aren't lock ins. They have invested a lot in Patton and they would like to keep him.

-I agree with you on Tomlinson in that he tried to go 2 years ago and of their best 22 guys out of contract he is the least talented. On the other hand they don't have a lot of KPD's-Davis (A grade but injury prone) Haynes and Tomlinson and Corr and Himmelberg are pretty much it and the last two are not sure things. The two things they lack are depth in key defenders and rucks after Mumford (Simpson and Downie are not very good and Lobb is not a no1 ruckman) so they may want to keep a tall over a midfielder which they have lots of.

Guys like Adam Kennedy and Finlayson and even Corr now he has been on a list a few years won't fetch much so between their cap squeeze and their need for picks they will definitely have to move on 1 or 2 best 22 players in that 24-25 age bracket.

With Smith I am a realist. I like the draft and I don't want to trade all our picks (there needs to be a balance) but if you look at the age of our best players our contending time is now. Between the fact that the standard of the top teams in the league relative to 10 years ago is weaker and the fact that Dangerfield Selwood and Hawkins are in their prime performance age now (and it might be another 30 years before we bring in guys of that calibre again it's hard to draft them) we are more likely to win a flag in the next 2 or 3 years than we are in 6 or 7 years. So I don't have an issue bringing guys in if they are the right fit at the right price (these are the two big hurdles). The way I see it is our midfield is top 4 standard, our rucks are ok, our depth in key defenders is the best of probably any side other than West Coast and if you believe Tuohy Stewart and Thurlow will all be very good (which I do) then the small/med defenders are ok. We have two big problems in my eyes (apart from the gameplan which is another issue) in that we lack outside class and skill of ball delivery (which is why we are so reliant on Motlop being good Motlop and not bad lazy Motlop) and our forward line other than Hawkins and Menzel is just dysfunctional. Now I would like to trade in a quality second key forward but they are rare as hen's teeth so we may be better to trade in more small/medium front half guys who really can hit the scoreboard and improve the forward structure around that. And Smith does fit that bill, although I wouldn't break the bank on salary so he would need to come here for less money than what other clubs offer him.

On the F/S stuff 2 years out is too early to call it, my only point was that if we felt Oscar (or Bailey or whoever) would attract a bid in the first 15 picks we are better off to trade that pick if we can get a best 22 player with it and then use 2 or 3 later picks (a couple of late 2nd/early 3rd rounders are equivalent points) to match said bid rather than use a first rounder to match said bid and then use the 3rd rounders to draft what in theory should be lesser quality players than you would get with the earlier pick. All theory but if it's something you can do it's worth exploring I think.

Agree with a fair bit of that. Some thoughts:
-I think it will be interesting as they won't have a lot of say in who goes because they have some top 22 guys out of contract and when out of contract players nominate a club they generally get there. So they will have some say in the actual trade deal but they won't really be able to pick and choose who stays.

I think they'll do what they did with Treloar, they'll pick who they want to keep and give them a stronger contract offer. And they'll encourage someone to leave by giving them an underwhelming contract offer.

-I agree with you on Tomlinson in that he tried to go 2 years ago and of their best 22 guys out of contract he is the least talented. On the other hand they don't have a lot of KPD's-Davis (A grade but injury prone) Haynes and Tomlinson and Corr and Himmelberg are pretty much it and the last two are not sure things. The two things they lack are depth in key defenders and rucks after Mumford (Simpson and Downie are not very good and Lobb is not a no1 ruckman) so they may want to keep a tall over a midfielder which they have lots of.

When you name 5 players as KPD there isn't an issue with depth and that's not including the often injured Mohr. I think they've found a player they like in Himmelberg, not that many KPD have an AFL debuts in year one.

I agree with you on the ruck but given Mumford's dominance with in the team it'd be very difficult to lure even a half decent back up to the team. If he went down they'd just have to rely on Lobb and Downie.

Guys like Adam Kennedy and Finlayson and even Corr now he has been on a list a few years won't fetch much so between their cap squeeze and their need for picks they will definitely have to move on 1 or 2 best 22 players in that 24-25 age bracket.
I think retirements of their older players will open some space up as well, Patfull is still on the books and I wonder what Johnson and Griffen would be on. I think they'll chose to let one of those 24-25 year olds go rather than being force to.

With Smith I am a realist. I like the draft and I don't want to trade all our picks (there needs to be a balance) but if you look at the age of our best players our contending time is now. Between the fact that the standard of the top teams in the league relative to 10 years ago is weaker and the fact that Dangerfield Selwood and Hawkins are in their prime performance age now (and it might be another 30 years before we bring in guys of that calibre again it's hard to draft them) we are more likely to win a flag in the next 2 or 3 years than we are in 6 or 7 years. So I don't have an issue bringing guys in if they are the right fit at the right price (these are the two big hurdles). The way I see it is our midfield is top 4 standard, our rucks are ok, our depth in key defenders is the best of probably any side other than West Coast and if you believe Tuohy Stewart and Thurlow will all be very good (which I do) then the small/med defenders are ok. We have two big problems in my eyes (apart from the gameplan which is another issue) in that we lack outside class and skill of ball delivery (which is why we are so reliant on Motlop being good Motlop and not bad lazy Motlop) and our forward line other than Hawkins and Menzel is just dysfunctional. Now I would like to trade in a quality second key forward but they are rare as hen's teeth so we may be better to trade in more small/medium front half guys who really can hit the scoreboard and improve the forward structure around that. And Smith does fit that bill, although I wouldn't break the bank on salary so he would need to come here for less money than what other clubs offer him.

I see your side, it a decent small forward is probably the easiest place for us to improve from a personnel point of view and I wouldn't be against trading in the right player but I don't think Smith is the guy to elevate our forward-line, I don't think his scoreboard impact is that large of a net gain compared to the guy he'd replace. Not enough net caddies in his favour.

I think they'll do what they did with Treloar, they'll pick who they want to keep and give them a stronger contract offer. And they'll encourage someone to leave by giving them an underwhelming contract offer.

When you name 5 players as KPD there isn't an issue with depth and that's not including the often injured Mohr. I think they've found a player they like in Himmelberg, not that many KPD have an AFL debuts in year one.

I agree with you on the ruck but given Mumford's dominance with in the team it'd be very difficult to lure even a half decent back up to the team. If he went down they'd just have to rely on Lobb and Downie.

I think retirements of their older players will open some space up as well, Patfull is still on the books and I wonder what Johnson and Griffen would be on. I think they'll chose to let one of those 24-25 year olds go rather than being force to.

I see your side, it a decent small forward is probably the easiest place for us to improve from a personnel point of view and I wouldn't be against trading in the right player but I don't think Smith is the guy to elevate our forward-line, I don't think his scoreboard impact is that large of a net gain compared to the guy he'd replace. Not enough net caddies in his favour.

Like all of that post (the caddies bit is a nice touch :D) just a couple of points.

I probably didn't phrase myself well re the KPDs I was meaning more I don't rate their overall quality of that group more so than the depth being the issue-I don't really rate Corr and I think Haynes is best as a real attacking intercept mark player (and I think Himmelberg is similar in this regard), he doesn't do so well as a big bodied defender on a full size key forward so they only really have Davis and Tomlinson that can do that, which was more my point. As for Mohr I didn't count him as I don't see him playing AFL any more I see him and guys like Reid and Mzungu and Daniel Lloyd as old state league players who are there for depth for their NEAFL team and more teaching type roles, if they ever play AFL games they are in trouble.

I think you are right that they will try and push someone they want out towards the door with a low contract offer. Steele though my understanding is they really wanted to keep but he went as St Kilda offered him more gametime and more money, which was behind my thinking of saying they don't have a full say in it and they might lose guys they actually want to keep.

Fair enough on Smith I am not set on him there are a few other guys I would be happy to get, my point is just more that if we are going to contend for a flag in the next 2-3 years we have to improve our forward line right now so thats either gotta be by moving guys from other positions in our team to the forward line, new guys like House Black etc, or we need to trade in forwards and if it's the last one I doubt we get a quality KPF so we might be best to get some quality smalls and mediums.

Snippet from the bottom of an AFL press release

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-26/ruck-academy-planned-for-overlooked-big-men

'The AFL's talent update to clubs also included a new element of its next generation academy system, with five clubs now able to access eligible multicultural talent from Darwin.

The city's multicultural and indigenous talent was originally not allocated to any club due to its history of producing AFL players.

But from 2017 the five existing clubs with next generation academy zones in the Northern Territory (Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong and Melbourne) will be able to nominate multicultural players residing in Darwin.

More By Callum Twomey'

We have an interest in this area (Darwin). And it looks like we can identify and have first shot at a prospect. Others will be better able to describe how our zone (in Arnhem land) would be able to intersect with this.

What's this Hopper like from GWS? Don't know much about him.

Is he an A-grade accumulator with great finishing and score board impact?

We should only go for him if he's A-grade, nothing less.

What's this Hopper like from GWS? Don't know much about him.

Is he an A-grade accumulator with great finishing and score board impact?

We should only go for him if he's A-grade, nothing less.
32 disposals (17 contested) and 9 clearances on debut. Only 10 games into his career but has some serious talent. Has been compared early on to Patty Dangerfield.

I was speaking to somebody close to Nat Fyfe's partner today and she assures me that Nat is very family orientated and wants to stay in Fremantle and they'e both happy there... he's partner is from WA.

There is a twist though, apparently If he did have a change of heart he has family that live in Geelong and that playing here would be his next preference.

But as of New years eve he wasn't entertaining any thought of leaving Fremantle.

I was speaking to somebody close to Nat Fyfe's partner today and she assures me that Nat is very family orientated and wants to stay in Fremantle and they'e both happy there... he's partner is from WA.

There is a twist though, apparently If he did have a change of heart he has family that live in Geelong and that playing here would be his next preference.

But as of New years eve he wasn't entertaining any thought of leaving Fremantle.

I think it will take considerable collateral to get him..at least what we paid for Danger... so we could not get a deal done , even if we wanted to. Saints and Tigers wold be two that would at least be in it , to win it.. as they have picks.

And if I was doing the recruiting , I'm not sure he would be the ideal target for us.
Probably wouldnt matter though if he said he wanted to come , need his type or not , a club would trade their soul to get him.

Id probably prefer to go to draft but if we do cut and paste from in system ..I hope its someone like Hooper that is not long in the system.

Last edited:
Story on emerging ruckman Tony Olango who the Hawks have just brought into their NT academy. Bloody Hawks!!!

He was one I was really hoping for from the Cats in the pre season draft.

Apparently the Cats were keen also. Shame we could steal him away to our NT academy. Has some tricks.

We had the option to I believe.
Story on emerging ruckman Tony Olango who the Hawks have just brought into their NT academy. Bloody Hawks!!!

Apparently the Cats were keen also. Shame we could steal him away to our NT academy. Has some tricks.

I liked him as well. Cant have them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back