List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 Trade Discussions! V2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should both be happy, they get pick 10, we got gibs and a 3rd selection in 2018 superdraft.
We’ve sold the farm for a 29 yo player. Let that sink in. Pick 10 this year could be the new Dangerfield or Martin. As Bicks says 2017 top end of the draft still has very good players. Very short sighted. If we don’t win the flag in 2018/2019 we’ve gone backwards.

Come on man seriously how is Seedsman anywhere near Smith? Seedsman is a ******* pretender goes to water.
Don’t get me Wrong I like Gibbs and I rate him highly and I wanted him last year but he isn’t a Cameron replacement! He is a different player.
He doesn’t bring the same pressure.

We will be a weaker and slower team next year
Seedsman couldnt carry smith's boots.

A third round pick is nothing. If we got Gibbs for 10 + 3rd round pick and no other exchanges were made I'd have been happy.

This feels like a lot, but as others have pointed out, it's a reasonable trade if:

1) We don't rate this draft as highly as next year
2) Carlton finish near the bottom of the ladder in 2018 and we finish near the top
3) Gibbs plays well for the full four years of his contract (or however many years before we win a premiership)

Those three ifs could well happen.
But if we have a poor year, then equation significantly changes.

Plus I don't really think Gibbs, at his age is worth a mid-range first plus anything.

At least with you I don’t expect you to be able to read properly :)
Just seemed strange that you would post something conditional on something you disagreed with in the past.

I see what he brings, sometimes. Gallucci replaces him and provides similar attributes.

I'm just not great at jumping at shadows.

Well look man at the end of the day we are on BF to talk footy cause we are big fans of the game.
I haven’t said anything and was gonna wait to the end of trade week to judge but this is a s**t deal we should have done it last year. It reeks of desperation and cowering to the pressure.

What part of

“If draft quality is to be believed”

Did you find confusing?
none of that is confusing, you just seem surprisingly eager to accept the deal.

I think the idea that pick 22 in 2018 is going to be worth more than pick 16 in 2017 relies on pretty fuzzy logic to say the least.

A bit like our experts who would have been consulted on the trade?? there is a reason we are a stocking up in the 2018 draft
if you watch all the content the club releases featuring Hamish you certainly wouldn't get the impression he has much of a say in trade week.

But if we have a poor year, then equation significantly changes.

Well, sure, but I don't think we're banking on having a poor year if we're paying first round picks for experienced players in the hopes of chasing a premiership.

If we have a poor year then any trade for Gibbs is a loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve sold the farm for a 29 yo player. Let that sink in. Pick 10 this year could be the new Dangerfield or Martin. As Bicks says 2017 top end of the draft still has very good players. Very short sighted. If we don’t win the flag in 2018/2019 we’ve gone backwards.
Some of this is true.

We've taken a big risk for sure, but safeguarded that to an extent by loading up on next years draft. Trading is how the better teams stay up for longer, and we have one of the best recruiters in the business.

We got a great deal for Lever, and a strangely good one for Wigg. We didn't do so well here but not as bad as it initially looks.

Come on man seriously how is Seedsman anywhere near Smith? Seedsman is a ******* pretender goes to water.
Don’t get me Wrong I like Gibbs and I rate him highly and I wanted him last year but he isn’t a Cameron replacement! He is a different player.
He doesn’t bring the same pressure.

We will be a weaker and slower team next year

Smith is guilty of going to water at times too.

Gibbs on his own is worth much more to our side then Cameron and Lever. One is a key piece to a premiership, the other two are role players; doubly so in a weak midfield which is what we have.

Cameron can be effectively replaced by Gallucci. It's a small temporary dowgrade which is fine seeing he's the 6th forward in our line up, a blooding position so to say.

I love how people are already sacking Reid.

He is a front man of the list committee. No deal gets done until the match committee tick it off. There is a lot of analysis and background work done here. Reid, Roo, Pyke, Fagan, Burton and Hamish sit on the committee. Hamish has the input on the depth and the quality of drafts both this year and next year. A lot of projecting going on here.

After thinking about it. If we don’t rate the 2017 Draft crop, loading up for 2018 makes this a good deal. I’m sure they know what they’re doing.

Only downside is SOS wins bragging rights after getting his 2 firsts. Even if they end up being meh players.
I hope they draftfogarty and after 2 years he says he wants to come home.

Assuming we finish top 4 and Carton finish bottom 4 then the trade could be ok. However if we finish outside the top 4 and Carton outside bottom 4, it could be a shocker.
Unless Carlton bring in players, they won’t be improving much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back