News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking to make the trip down to the home game vs Richmond now that we're poor enough again to loose the status of Geelong home games at the G.

Which end does your cheer squad usually sit? A bit of googling suggests it's the players stand end so Richmond cheer squad would be Selwood stand end, but this information was before the refurbishment so just wanted to confirm.
Other way around now, Geelong cheer squad at the Selwood stand end and the oppo at the Players stand end :)

Nope. Traditionally the cheer squad was at the city end. When the doug wade stand was built they moved down to the river end and now weve built the selwood stand we are moving back up.
Thanks, and appreciate its a bit silly of me to ask for help and then doubt it.
Will grab some tickets and hopefully be down at GMHBA for Dusty's 300th

I must be blind because I didn't see the cheer squad. Just empty seats
Certainly not blind, there were heaps of empty seats there throughout the game. Cheer squad.png

Not as many as here though, I couldn't see them from my angle but was quite suprised watching the replay and seeing so many empty for what was supposed to be a full house.
Empty Seats.png

Certainly not blind, there were heaps of empty seats there throughout the game.View attachment 1933647

Not as many as here though, I couldn't see them from my angle but was quite suprised watching the replay and seeing so many empty for what was supposed to be a full house.
View attachment 1933648
Against GC in the middle of winter you'd half expect it. Perhaps not for the first home game of the year in the brand new stand. Maybe other events were on that night?

Certainly not blind, there were heaps of empty seats there throughout the game.View attachment 1933647

View attachment 1933648
Those blue seats are linked to fred Flanagan room I believe so I imagine most of those people were inside the function room enjoying the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the WiFi, it's the phone reception (4 and 5G) how can that be on the club to pay for? It's Telstra/Optus who are responsible for that network.
The stage 5 development included the provision of free wifi network to help alleviate the always terrible data coverage at the stadium, but it seemed to be as overloaded as the cell networks the other night. The Trust could work with the telcos to implement improved mobile coverage if it wanted to, much like the MCC did with Telstra at the MCG 5 years ago, but clearly there's no impetus or funding to do so. The club wouldn't be responsible for funding it because it neither owns nor operates the stadium; the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust does.

Which end does your cheer squad usually sit? A bit of googling suggests it's the players stand end so Richmond cheer squad would be Selwood stand end, but this information was before the refurbishment so just wanted to confirm.
It was the Players Stand for many years until THIS season, they're now back at the city end in the new Selwood Stand.

Those blue seats are linked to fred Flanagan room I believe so I imagine most of those people were inside the function room enjoying the game.

I saw the empty seats early in the game and was a little 🤨

But later in the game you could see a lot of people actually standing behind the rows of seats, and I then remembered about the Fred Flanagan Room being retained but with a well deserved upgrade - and triggered that those seats would be linked to them. Obviously they'd have the choice to sit in the seats or stay in the function room

Obviously they'd have the choice to sit in the seats or stay in the function room
One way in which the club can increase capacity is to double sell these seats. Keep the FF room folk behind glass and have people in the seats at all times.

Wont happen at every game, but probably at a potential final

We speculated a bit on here last year that the Brownlow side big screen would obstruct the view from some of the upper level seats in the Selwood Stand- well, it does. About 50 seats have a view somewhere between these two photos…

View attachment 1932945

View attachment 1932944

They were all sold, I was told, as “restricted or obstructed view”. So if you are offered one of these seats one day: Beware!

And, on the subject of restricted view, the original big screen is woefully small (and has poor quality) if you are in the Selwood stand.
Time to fill up that gap with a super-sized screen, I think.

Thats quite ordinary. It really puts a notional next to the 40,000 number. Who knows if it is it possible for the scoreboard to be removed or be elsewhere eventually , the way the word seems to be going everyone has a scoreboard in their pocket.

View attachment 1933648
front row cheersquad member here(you can see me in the first photo, standing up, blue hoodie behind and a bit to the right of the umpire/far left point post)

we have a bay of about 250 seats which is sold out online as we have a waiting list, we were missing a few people for sure but lots of people have there own seats at gmhba (like me, i do have a reserved seat and i will be swapping between through the year) and chose to only sit cheersquad for away matches and games in melbourne, but for the first game it was a bit of a shame the turnout we had.

hopefully we gain more people throughout the year and get louder as the year goes on

If you were right next to them they would sound loud, but from where I sat whenever they made noise it got the Cats crowd going and was very quickly drowned out. Adds to the atmosphere, still is a huge home crowd/ground advantage and is nonsense to suggest otherwise IMO
They were mega loud from level 2 hockey stand on the wing....maybe it's just where you sit.

They were louder than the Geelong crowd to my ears.

The Trust is furious that Hocking has put the issue with the phone reception onto them
the trust runs the stadium.. not the club

The Trust needs to talk to the Telcos and get them to fix the mobile failures. The mobile coverage is a Tesltra / Optus infrastructure thing.
The Trust would be the ones to set up and contract/manage the IT WIFI service and system IMO.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back