GWS is a great asset to the code and all fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
#AFLGiantsDogs was the second highest rating non-GF match in AFL history.

A matchup between a supposed marketing gimmick and one of the smallest Victorian clubs produced one of the best rating games in history. People do care about them. People do love to hate them. Even if they do become the New York Yankees of the AFL over the next 5 years people will hate watch them in the hope that the David of the week slays Goliath.

This already has and will continue to make enormous profits for the AFL which goes towards making every club profitable and viable, including the clubs of fans that loathe GWS.

People need to stop second guessing the expansion. Last night was one of my all time favourite games to watch as a neutral and a big part of the reason is how intensely I wanted them to lose. Millions of people thought likewise.

GWS has been, is, and will be great for the AFL and all of us who love or love to hate them.

Jimmy Fallon certainly thinks so.

upload_2016-9-24_22-31-36.png
5.jpg

ah humour ... we hate clubs that matter ... those who we have a tradition of them being the forever enemy ... Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton those are the clubs who i love to hate ... we don't hate this 5 year old construct we are just unhappy that their talent is not spread more evenly over the competition. The TV thing was all of us hoping for a miracle (which we got) ... how many of those TV viewers do you think were barracking for GWS?

remember these 2 teams met in spotless earlier this year and 8000 people turned up with 4000 free tickets given ... pffft

The problem laid bare with the custodian of the sport and competition being the same

They may very well "grow the game" but have been implemented in a way that far compromises the sanctity of the league as an actual competition (although there are a thousand other ways this is compromised too)

A matchup between a supposed marketing gimmick and one of the smallest Victorian clubs produced one of the best rating games in history. People do care about them. People do love to hate them. Even if they do become the New York Yankees of the AFL over the next 5 years people will hate watch them in the hope that the David of the week slays Goliath.

This already has and will continue to make enormous profits for the AFL which goes towards making every club profitable and viable, including the clubs of fans that loathe GWS.

People need to stop second guessing the expansion. Last night was one of my all time favourite games to watch as a neutral and a big part of the reason is how intensely I wanted them to lose. Millions of people thought likewise.

GWS has been, is, and will be great for the AFL and all of us who love or love to hate them.
Yep, it reminds me of the time Apple thought people still gave a single steaming urinal cake about new U2 music in 2014. We all wanted that "Free" download now didn't we? So the AFL foist GWS upon us all which is the equivalent of someone breaking into your house to leave you a new pet that you didn't ask for. ("Enjoy your new howler monkey!") GWS is a very costly exercise and the AFL investment is somewhat considerable, the big difference was that for Apple, the album wasn't free at all; they had shelled out $100 million for marketing alone, plus an undisclosed amount to U2 that will no doubt have Bono swimming in douchebag sunglasses until the planet implodes. How much has gone into GWS since it was founded in 2009? I don't hate them, i just don't give a stuff about them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was this written by gill mchlachlan?
I wish. I could use a few more zeroes in my bank account.
ah humour ... we hate clubs that matter ... those who we have a tradition of them being the forever enemy ... Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton those are the clubs who i love to hate ... we don't hate this 5 year old construct we are just unhappy that their talent is not spread more evenly over the competition. The TV thing was all of us hoping for a miracle (which we got) ... how many of those TV viewers do you think were barracking for GWS?

remember these 2 teams met in spotless earlier this year and 8000 people turned up with 4000 free tickets given ... pffft
I didn't say many were. 98% of the audience probably was hoping they'd lose. Watching them because you hate them is just as profitable as watching them because you love them. It all adds up to ratings which means money which is good for all of us.

They will win a lot of games but it won't be forever. Perhaps a 5 year window and then they'll be a mortal team. And it'll be worth it in the long term.

Last edited:
I wish. I could use a few more zeroes in my bank account.

I didn't say many were. 98% of the audience probably was hoping they'd lose. Watching them because you hate them is just as profitable as watching them because you hate them. It all adds up to ratings which means money which is good for all of us.

They will win a lot of games but it won't be forever. Perhaps a 5 year window and then they'll be a mortal team. And it'll be worth it in the long term.

They will end up with 6 picks inside 21...they are here for a lot longer than that

Are you aware of how many people adore the Yankees? I'll give you a clue, it's a lot more than GWS.

That is fantastic if it was such a highly rated game. Personally I agree with the decision to create GWS as a second Sydney/NSW club; I just hate the amount of concessions they've got and the way the AFL is determined to ensure they have sustained success. It was the right move by the AFL to expand there though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back