News Harder to watch Freo under new AFL deal

Remove this Banner Ad

In the age of massive broadband data plans and the NBN, this is going to drive more and more people to better and better quality online (illegal) streaming.
This is my plan for the new agreement.

I actually tried to get Foxtel to watch the footy, but I can't get it installed into my apartment. I have a smart TV with a decent data plan, but Foxtel Play doesn't have the footy on it. It's such a step backwards the new deal, when the way forwards is streaming services. Take a look at the NHL & NFL streaming services. They're amazing! And they'd make Telstra a lot more money just on bandwidth used.

I currently pay $80 a year (or whatever it was) for AFL live pass. Now Telstra wants to say to me 'you can't have our product'. WTF?

I tell them 'shut up and take my money'
NO **** OFF WE DON'T WANT YOUR MONEY

Sometimes I don't understand business.
I don't get it either.
I've not seen anyone apart from the report I originally posted say that Telstra will restrict Live Pass to their customers, so I'm still hoping the journalist just got the wrong end of the stick.

The app is not the only way to watch the game outside of WA.

I'm a QLD supporter and a I installed a satelitte dish on my roof and went and bought a cheap VAST satelitte decoder and when signing up (to the free service) there is a 'traveller's option' so they enabled all WA regional channels on my decoder. It has a 6 month expiry but a quick email and it's back up for another 6 months.

I've currently been 'travelling' WA for years, they must think I'm loaded.

As long as they show us more than twice a year on FTA outside of WA would be a good start.

True and hey I'm not exactly loaded myself but if you are a footy nut like a large % of the people that go to to the effort of posting on here reguarly it's not exactly a massive amount to budget for $17 in somewhere a week unless you are really struggling. I wonder how many people complaining still manage to dig up money for booze on the weekend, junk food or other crap. If footy actually means a lot to you put it at the top of the list and cut something else out..

Not as simple as that in some situations unfortunately.

This pisses me of a South Australian and a freo supporter.

AFL bleeds WA and SA dry, and then pours money into Victoria, QLD and NSW.

WA football needs money invested into it, especially at under-age level but it seems to be ignored by everyone.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ter-blockbuster-new-deal-20150819-gj2h39.html

"Community football, nationally and particularly in Victoria needs greater investment in grassroots. And we have a number of AFL clubs who are financially challenged at the comment.

"Supporters over the last 12 months are also finding costs a real issue."

Currently, the AFL offers grants to local and community football clubs for the building of infrastructure including clubrooms and local ovals. The clubs, usually in conjunction with their local councils, have to make a detailed bid to AFL Victoria as to why they are deserving of investment.

The other big area of investment seems set to be the AFL's clubs themselves, with McLachlan critical of the financial states of some.

"Our job is to make sure the game itself is the best we can be, so that's making sure we have 18 strong clubs, and we don't have that at the moment," he said.

Grassroots football will face a fight from the AFL's other stakeholders as to who gets the largest slice of the $2.5 billion pie.

Do you think there's any correlation between this and the lack of high end talent being drafted from WA?

I think Verizon hold exclusive rights for NFL Red Zone on mobile devices in the US. There's another service called Sunday Ticket which is only on DirecTV. It's a bit more convoluted, as these are special packages that are sort of separate from the "regular" broadcasting ... but at the same time, to me it doesn't really seem that what Telstra are doing is that abnormal.

One would think it must be better financially for Telstra to do it this way, and/or the service will be better for those who get it. Granted, that might be giving Telstra too much credit.

I didn't think there was a lack of top end WA talent. Two out of the best five players in the league (Fyfe, Franklin) are out of WA. Three of the four mini-draft picks are WA players.

Not in the AFL in general, but in the last few drafts there hasn't been much from WA. Case in point is Cal Twomey's latest phantom draft for this year which has one WA player in the top 25 (Callum Ah Chee at 14).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-20/update-phantom-form-guide

Two previous years were better than I remember:
2014 was 3 out of top 25 (Pickett @ 4, Garlett @ 15 and Boekhorst @ 19),
2013 was 4 out of top 25 (Sheed @ 11, Cripps @ 13, McCarthy @ 14 *bloody GWS!* and Acres @ 19).

2012 stank - only Josh Simpson at 17 & Paparone at 23.

2011 only got going for WA in the 20's - after Coniglio at 2 it was Tom Mitchell, Josh Bootsma & Murray Newman at 21-23.

And 2010 was gold - 1, 2 & 6 (Swallow, Bennell & Conca).

Where am I going with this?
a) It's not as bad as I thought.
b) This year's grim though, 2012 not much better
c) It's possible to change your mind mid-post
d) Post it anyway.

This just in: WA produces awesome players regardless of funding.

[dodgy Mexican accent]: Money? We don't need your steenking money!

I doubt the AFL app will force people to be Telstra subscribers, probably has just been worded wrong in the announcements. I expect the functionality to stay pretty much the same, whether thats a good thing or a bad thing is yet to be seen. (no streaming to tv still? etc)

I'm not trying to offend people here but if you aren't paying for something and enjoy kicking your chinese made football around the park, what does AFL owe you?
Everything. Me watching the football makes the broadcaster money, which in turn makes them money. Me watching the games when they were all on free to air made the game a viable commodity. Thanks to ME the AFL can now sell that product for 2.5 Billion.

So to recap, they owe me EVERYTHING.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything. Me watching the football makes the broadcaster money, which in turn makes them money. Me watching the games when they were all on free to air made the game a viable commodity. Thanks to ME the AFL can now sell that product for 2.5 Billion.

So to recap, they owe me EVERYTHING.
Are you one of those people with a counter that tracks ratings?

In the age of massive broadband data plans and the NBN, this is going to drive more and more people to better and better quality online (illegal) streaming.
Already has... (I didn't say that).
But then again, where I am, there aren't too many options. 4 games (I think) FTA this year with two of those being Friday nights, where the broadcasters didn't have a choice. Bloody Darwin.

Next season I think I'll stump up for Fox, but geez. It's a tough call just for one thing I want from it.

IOW, Situation normal for me, doesn't make any difference really.

This was actually a mistake as discovered by Experimental in another thread.

Telstra will continue to allow non-telstra customers to purchase the AFL live pass

Here and here
CORRECTION: AFL Live Pass is not restricted to Telstra customers – it has confirmed that, like the current deal, anyone can download the app and subscribe to AFL Live Pass. The confusion comes from Telstra's media statement, with Joe Pollard – Group Managing Director Telstra Media and Marketing – saying the AFL rights agreement would "give Telstra customers exclusive access to live streaming of all AFL matches and events". Telstra agrees the statement is "misleading" and is amending the online announcement.

I didn't think there was a lack of top end WA talent. Two out of the best five players in the league (Fyfe, Franklin) are out of WA. Three of the four mini-draft picks are WA players.
Have to remember though, that Fyfe and Franklin were drafted in 2009 and 2004 respectively.
It's the recent years you need to observe, due to the growing influence of other sports.

I remember when I were a lad (sigh), the only two sports we played at school were cricket and football. There weren't any other options. Someone started a baseball junior league for a few years in my (country) area (which I played in), but that was just a bit of a distraction.

Every school had an oval and a cricket set. Most of them had Aussie rules goalposts on the oval.

Want to know what's happening? Go out on a round of primary schools. There are two goalposts and a net at most of them - if they have an oval at all. A soccer ball is just as cheap as a footy. Cricket gear is too expensive, and besides, you have to maintain a pitch. Nowhere near as much cricket being played at schools compared to when I was that age.

I'm not too hopeful for the future of the AFL, personally.
If things continue as they are, we'll see a marked dwindling in our stocks of cricket players (arguably, already seeing that), and in the quality of AFL players, given that there are more options now.

And the popularity of soccer is on the rise. This is something I'm probably not allowed to say, but the Australian demographic is changing rapidly and I do believe our tastes are changing with it. Call me a cynic if you will, but we wouldn't be so worried about promoting the multicultural aspect of the AFL if there wasn't a reason to do so.

Now I'm a bit sad. I'm going to watch the Footy.

Honestly Foxtel isnt that much, it's ONLY $15 a week and in a way you're supporting the game. If you're on this forum it shows you love the game and will get a lot out of foxtel.

you really aren't, though. $14 of that would go towards the other crap on Foxtel that you don't watch, as compared to a decent streaming service for half that price which would go straight into the league.

Already has... (I didn't say that).
But then again, where I am, there aren't too many options. 4 games (I think) FTA this year with two of those being Friday nights, where the broadcasters didn't have a choice. Bloody Darwin.

Next season I think I'll stump up for Fox, but geez. It's a tough call just for one thing I want from it.

IOW, Situation normal for me, doesn't make any difference really.

Despite all the money - there seems to have been minimal improvement in access to games in recent years.
Apart from live FNF on Mate across the country (a great move), there are still massive issues:
-Lack of access in the non-traditional AFL states
-Delayed telecast on other days (1.30pm starts on Sat arvo in Perth!?!?)
-Horrendous commentary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back