Recommitted Harrison Petty [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is a still a chance to get done this Petty to Crows trade. However it is going to take Crows parting with pick 10 and McAdam for starters. Plus pick 20 or next years first. Of course there’ll be something more going back with Petty. I can’t see Melbourne letting him go with 2 years left unless it’s massive overs. So probably unlikely to happen. And he hasn’t officially asked for a trade at this point.dees would also be asking the question of Thilthorpe or Fogarty. But can’t see crow’s parting with one of them.

We’re in the premiership window. Petty’s value to us is greater playing forward in games in 2024 and 2025 for us than any trade deal offered by the Crows unless the picks Crows offer unlock a quality tall key forward in this trade period to replace him. Which is not going to happen. Yep, he may decide to return to SA at end of 2025 and that’s ok. We’ll take his value on the park for the next 2 seasons and deal with it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me the Crows are in a cold arms race with Port to try bring as many quality SA born players/recruits to their club.

It makes more sense for Port to chase him, given their dearth of KPP options, but obviously don't have the draft capital to get a deal done.
I wonder if Port have sounded it out.

If Duursma was happy to go to Melbourne where he'd be a good fit Duursma and 25 would be a good start.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think this is a still a chance to get done this Petty to Crows trade. However it is going to take Crows parting with pick 10 and McAdam for starters. Plus pick 20 or next years first. Of course there’ll be something more going back with Petty. I can’t see Melbourne letting him go with 2 years left unless it’s massive overs. So probably unlikely to happen. And he hasn’t officially asked for a trade at this point.dees would also be asking the question of Thilthorpe or Fogarty. But can’t see crow’s parting with one of them.
Its not a matter of the “crows parting with fog or Thilthorpe”..

Its a matter of Fog and Thilthorpe not wanting to leave the crows and South Australia..

Contracted players cant be traded against their will and even when they are out of contract a club cant pick and choose where a player is traded to..

Its not a matter of the “crows parting with fog or Thilthorpe”..

Its a matter of Fog and Thilthorpe not wanting to leave the crows and South Australia..

Contracted players cant be traded against their will and even when they are out of contract a club cant pick and choose where a player is traded to..
Yep and that’s probably why a trade won’t get done this time around for Petty. Unless one of those guys wants to come to the Dees it’s hard to see the Dees letting Petty go. Unless we’re super keen on picks.

We’re in the premiership window. Petty’s value to us is greater playing forward in games in 2024 and 2025 for us than any trade deal offered by the Crows unless the picks Crows offer unlock a quality tall key forward in this trade period to replace him. Which is not going to happen. Yep, he may decide to return to SA at end of 2025 and that’s ok. We’ll take his value on the park for the next 2 seasons and deal with it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that’s why I think it’s gotta be way over a for Melbourne to trade him.

I love Riley Beveridge and Cal Twomey both disagreeing with Kane Cornes. Dees are in the flag window. there's no draft pick that's going to be enough to put us out of the flag window for a player we have contracted.

Loved Beverdige doubling down and stopping short from saying we would've won the flag if Petty wasn't injured. He knows his footy does Riley.

we would've won the flag if Petty wasn't injured.

I've seen you say this a few times. Maybe the AFL should give Melbourne some sort of cup or trophy for this?

Loved Beverdige doubling down and stopping short from saying we would've won the flag if Petty wasn't injured. He knows his footy does Riley.
But he was and we didn't. We finished sixth, and clearly weren't the best side in the AFL this year (or last).

Every team has injuries – I'm completely over people using that—or us kicking inaccurately—as excuses. In reality, if we were the best team in the league, we would have finished first and not lost two finals for the second consecutive year.

I think the inaccuracy/expected score excuse is the worst one of them all. Kicking the ball through the middle two posts is a fundamental part of football.

Somehow conflating that with 'bad luck' is nonsensical.

I think the inaccuracy/expected score excuse is the worst one of them all. Kicking the ball through the middle two posts is a fundamental part of football.

Agreed - Same issue cost the Crows making finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find the misguided theory that we lost because we just bombed the ball inside 50 the worst personally, completely disregarding that our conversion was the reason we lost.

It wasn't the kick inside 50 that killed us, it was kicking at goal that killed us.

I think the Crows offer of pick #14 and McAdam is pretty generous. The contract offer to Petty averages out at around $800K per year, but we are clearly offering him overs to lure him to the Crows - so, we probably value him at around $650K.

For comparison:
1) Ben McKay is on around 700K and everybody says pick #3 was massive overs for him.

2) Tom Doedee is on around 650K and everybody says pick #19 was overs for him.

In reality, both are probably worth a pick in the 25-35 range.

Petty is a couple of years younger, so he is probably worth a pick in the 20-25 range.

So, pick #14 and McAdam is a bargain for Melbourne IMHO.

I'm glad Melbourne is playing hardball with Petty personally. As much as he would benefit the Crows I don't see him as an immediate need. We need a blue chip mid IMO. Paying way overs for Petty would be a mistake. In 2 years time he'll be out of contract and still relatively young. If we still want him by then he'll be a lot cheaper and easier to get.

But he was and we didn't. We finished sixth, and clearly weren't the best side in the AFL this year (or last).

Every team has injuries – I'm completely over people using that—or us kicking inaccurately—as excuses. In reality, if we were the best team in the league, we would have finished first and not lost two finals for the second consecutive year.
There's a reason why the nba play a best of 7 series in finals. So you can comfortably say the best team won. You can't say that in afl. inaccurate kicking, injuries, poor umpiring or simply the ball just not bouncing your way and the result is decided.

With no injuries to key personnel in the finals next year, I expect us to win the flag. With Petty as a forward.

There's a reason why the nba play a best of 7 series in finals. So you can comfortably say the best team won. You can't say that in afl. inaccurate kicking, injuries, poor umpiring or simply the ball just not bouncing your way and the result is decided.

With no injuries to key personnel in the finals next year, I expect us to win the flag. With Petty as a forward.
im assuming 2021 is an exception to this?

He'll be a Crow in 2025, club won't risk getting RFA compo in 2026 when they'll get a better return in 2025...Bookmark it.
how so? we'll get better RFA compo than what you'd give us anyway. You guys could be top 4-6 next year so won't have much to give us. Petty will get band 1 compo which would be similar to what you guys would give us so may as well see out his contract.

how so? we'll get better RFA compo than what you'd give us anyway. You guys could be top 4-6 next year so won't have much to give us. Petty will get band 1 compo which would be similar to what you guys would give us so may as well see out his contract.
And if his can't get back to 100% fitness so he doesn't develop further, lower than McAdam's trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back