Prediction Harry Sheezel - Can he be the GOAT?

Remove this Banner Ad

In time, he will move forward of centre and into the midfield where he will no doubt be more damaging, and we're all familiar with the old adage that the best way for a young bloke to understand forward craft at any level is to spend time in the backline to see how others go about it.

This is exactly what I have been saying from my first post here. See above, get him into the midfield. Introduce him over time but more is to be gained from him in the middle.

I've been intent on ignoring this thread, but some posts simply can't be ignored.

What on earth are you going on about?

You're talking about a kid who is commencing his second season in the system, having (I understand) never played in the backline in his life. And he was his club's best player in his first season whilst doing so.

This isn't Al Clarkson's first rodeo - I reckon he has a pretty good understanding as to how to develop players. We all know North weren't going to be worldbeaters last year, nor will they be this year... so why wouldn't you have Sheezel in the part of the ground where the ball is going to spend a lot of time, in order to develop his game.

In time, he will move forward of centre and into the midfield where he will no doubt be more damaging, and we're all familiar with the old adage that the best way for a young bloke to understand forward craft at any level is to spend time in the backline to see how others go about it.

We've seen too many midfielders thrown to the wolves from day one, in poor teams, and many had their careers cut short because of it. Jack Trengrove was a club captain at 21, and out of the system by the time he was 25.

Sheezel is clearly a gun, and he's only going to get better. Trust that Clarkson and the North coaching team know how to develop their players, and sit back and enjoy what is inevitably going to be an outstanding career.
nice melt

You are completely missing my point.

The best years of Pendulbury and Hodge were as midfielders. That’s where they were the most damaging.

Particularly Pendulbury, when you think of him you don’t think of him on a back flank. You think of him in the middle.

They dominated in the midfield and that is where I’m saying Sheezel should be. Yes he can always have a great career down back. However he would be most damaging in the middle and attacking forward of centre.

He’s had a year down back. This year should be looking to push 30% midfield. That becomes 50% next year before becoming a full time mid as I said earlier. It doesn’t happen over night but they should start introducing him more.

Keep him down back if you want but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to keep someone like him there if we had him.

We will always get decent midfielders, but bluechip halfback are like diamonds. We need to have at least 2 of the best disposal players on the halfback line to get the ball out.

We will always get decent midfielders, but bluechip halfback are like diamonds. We need to have at least 2 of the best disposal players on the halfback line to get the ball out.

IMO that’s not making the most of his high ceiling. You put your absolute blue chips on ball. Decent midfielders aren’t the blue chip midfielders that can change a game single handed.

Think of the best players of the past decade, they are all midfield and forward of centre players. Petracca, Danger, Dusty, GAJ, Judd, Fyfe and the new crop in Rozee, Butters, Gulden, Daicos etc they are all on the ball. You don’t keep them on the back flank.

IMO that’s not making the most of his high ceiling. You put your absolute blue chips on ball. Decent midfielders aren’t the blue chip midfielders that can change a game single handed.

Think of the best players of the past decade, they are all midfield and forward of centre players. Petracca, Danger, Dusty, GAJ, Judd, Fyfe and the new crop in Rozee, Butters, Gulden, Daicos etc they are all on the ball. You don’t keep them on the back flank.

Clarkson doesn't agree

I know this is a pi55take but Sheezels numbers are better than Daicos.

If Sheezel was at Carlton or Richmond the hype would be astronomical.

Will be AA this year and should have been in the squad last year.
His first year was genuinely a belter, he broke the disposal record for a first year player (he also averaged more than Daicos did in his first year) and on top of that, had more inside 50’s and rebound 50’s

It’s a myth that he doesn’t get up the ground for casual fans that don’t watch games outside of blockbusters hyped up by the media.

His first year was genuinely a belter, he broke the disposal record for a first year player (he also averaged more than Daicos did in his first year) and on top of that, had more inside 50’s and rebound 50’s

It’s a myth that he doesn’t get up the ground for casual fans that don’t watch games outside of blockbusters hyped up by the media.

Dont have to tell me mate.

Im taking Sheezel every day of the week.

Would not trade him for one single player in the comp.

This is his heat map for last week. That’s not a myth, it’s fact that he didnt push up the ground.

Virtually nothing past centre and is showed in his impact on the game and score involvements. To many in the arc.

The games he does push further up, he’s more impactful. He has more score involvements the more he’s forward of centre.

IMG_8757.jpeg

Stats don't lie, they mean nothing. One's impact to one's team is the first measure of success. He is the leader of the new batch of player post covid era player.

This is his heat map for last week. That’s not a myth, it’s fact that he didnt push up the ground.

Virtually nothing past centre and is showed in his impact on the game and score involvements. To many in the arc.

The games he does push further up, he’s more impactful. He has more score involvements the more he’s forward of centre.

View attachment 1934164
Somewhat of a cherry pick, especially given GWS's dominance in the game

All game heat map not working, but per quarter was

Sheezel in his most productive quarter. That heat map seems quite active through the middle Screenshot_20240320_230304_AFL.jpg

North quarters 1 and 4, seems as a collective, they were largely on the back foot, so makes sense Sheezel was where the action was relevant

Screenshot_20240320_230416_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20240320_230411_AFL.jpg

View attachment 1934164
One match is not indicative of his entire career.

He was drafted as a forward who spent time in the middle and had historic years as a draftee doing so. He then had a historic debut year in a brand new position.

He was also a very young draftee, scraping into the cut off by just over a month. Nick Daicos was as old as a traditional elite junior could be.

Really, if we are drawing comparisons then Sheezel’s 2024 is equivalent to Nick’s 2022 and so on. He will spend more time behind the ball but he has penetration on his kicks and generated more inside 50’s as an 18 year old in 2023 than Nick generated as a 19 year in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One match is not indicative of his entire career.

He was drafted as a forward who spent time in the middle and had historic years as a draftee doing so. He then had a historic debut year in a brand new position.

He was also a very young draftee, scraping into the cut off by just over a month. Nick Daicos was as old as a traditional elite junior could be.

Really, if we are drawing comparisons then Sheezel’s 2024 is equivalent to Nick’s 2022 and so on. He will spend more time behind the ball but he has penetration on his kicks and generated more inside 50’s as an 18 year old in 2023 than Nick generated as a 19 year in 2022.
Conceding that Sheezel in his second year will get nowhere near what Daicos did in his second year, so let's find a way to keep the charade up for another season to say it's unfair to compare Sheezel's 2024 with Daicos' 2023, so let's compare it to 2022 instead....

View attachment 1934164
Jeepers Sheezel clearly the GOAT, looks like he spent most of the game in the carpark and still got touches.

Great kid, would love to have him at the Pies. You never know, might go past Daics and even become an all time great.

I prefer our boy because I'm biased AF, we're all about family at the Pies.

Shame North bungled retaining JHF, he looks a far better prospect than Sheezel, much beter prospect and has that insane determination that could see him become an all time great. I think Daics is better than him but it's closer than Sheezel.

Add in Wardlaw and Larkey, plenty for North to be happy about.

Conceding that Sheezel in his second year will get nowhere near what Daicos did in his second year, so let's find a way to keep the charade up for another season to say it's unfair to compare Sheezel's 2024 with Daicos' 2023, so let's compare it to 2022 instead....

The charade is Sheezel was and still is a year younger, so anything Sheezel produces this year should be compare to Nicki's first season

He won't be able to do it of half-back.

All the GOAT's that are talked about, were racking up the possessions or kicking lots and lots of goals. Better if they have done both.

A GOAT IMO also needs to get a Premiership or 2 during their career, get selected in multiple AA's and win their teams best and fairest.

He's off to a decent start, his Rnd 1 performance was higher rated by AFL ratings and supercoach vs Daicos' Rnd 1 game last year, in a losing side to boot.

I actually don't think Sheezel will ever be as good as Daicos as he lacks that game-breaking speed/agility.

He is more in the Pendlebury mould as an extremely clever, one touch player who would excel in any part of the ground.

He also watches every single AFL game, ie. is a nuttier footy fan than many of the posters here.

McKercher looked a natural in his first game, you guys have some serious talent building up. A decent defender or two and north will be in the top 4 within a few years. Sheezel is unbelievably good and it's only his 2nd year.

Or the Roos will have cap problems and the players leave for more money elsewhere.

Or the Roos will have cap problems and the players leave for more money elsewhere.

The club is completely incompetent if we have cap problems in the near future with just the current playing list.

Sheezel just signed a 7 year deal and should be on a draftees salary inside of 3 years unless we are doing something incredibly wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back