Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Collingwood and trump comparison is a good one, when you think about it. Bloated, rich, pumped up with arrogance and self-importance, both project the paper-thin facade of being 'winners' but keep losing.....

That’s a good description of McGuire.

*bump*

I’m not being a sore winner but that wasn’t Ken’s finest hour:

- instructing his mids to stand off & tackle after the Dogs mids won first use. That has worked in regular season but with Stef Martin and a switched on midfield we ran right through them. Terrible tactic.

- the use of Schache and English to tag Allir , no response from Ken. Allir started to lose his composure early on and then Schache turned from defender into attacker.

- benching Drew for the first five minutes when he’d been so effective against Libba in the past. Asked about this post game Ken said ‘we always bench Drew for the first five minutes. Hmm. Then Drew engaged in snarling at Libba and pushing him off the ball. Drew is a fine midfielder in his own right and he wasted his energy being nasty to Libba

- Players simply not up for the fight. They were clearly rattled after 10 mins and the heads went down.
I think your right, one thing that amazes me, when you have a game saver and sometimes a game winner like Aliir and your opposition works them out for one game, to cover his dangerous defending and stopping opposong sides get through to score, well Ken Hinkley did not address that at all?? You'd surely look at other things , because Aliir was tied up in knots.

I don't know what Hinkley could or should have done , but I've seen Aliir Aliir rip forward attacks apart, and he got found out by tactics Beveridge arranged , and everyone including Port players, saw their sheild broken open. Nothing happened.

Quite amazing, Footscray ripped them apart. Didn't expect it, but the Dogs play a different game to any other team and no one ever seems to know what is coming out of the race every week!
Melbourne looked great too, but I have no idea who to pick, I wish all the members and fans good luck both teams , I can enjoy the game, my boys are hybernating now, for next year.

I just hope the umps let it go a bit! And don't pull too many game killing petty frees either.

But to have a bet? NOT ME, NOT A CHANCE . This game could go anywhere?

Can we separate facts from the fantasy -

- they had a bloody soft draw (only played one of the top 8 twice - Bulldogs)
- they had two home finals (the only finalist to receive such a benefit)
- they were at full strength whilst both their oppositions weren’t

But here is the real kicker - since 2016 they have only won 4 games 26 losses against teams in the top 4. This year they won 13 of 14 games against sides outside the top 8. Of sides in the top 8 they beat Sydney, GWS, Bulldogs and Essendon.

Lets see what happens in 2022, the draw won’t be as favourable as 2021. For one, Adelaide will be a better opponent.

Can we separate facts from the fantasy -

- they had a bloody soft draw (only played one of the top 8 twice - Bulldogs)
- they had two home finals (the only finalist to receive such a benefit)
- they were at full strength whilst both their oppositions weren’t

But here is the real kicker - since 2016 they have only won 4 games 26 losses against teams in the top 4. This year they won 13 of 14 games against sides outside the top 8. Of sides in the top 8 they beat Sydney, GWS, Bulldogs and Essendon.

Lets see what happens in 2022, the draw won’t be as favourable as 2021. For one, Adelaide will be a better opponent.
Straight facts here. Next year won't be pretty. Jarrad Schofield just left us to go to West Coast and it looks like Voss could go to Carlton.
We'll get new assistant coaches to learn from the wise mastermind Kenny. Let's see how that goes...

Blaming the Coach is disrespecting the opposition.

No one was going to beat the Dogs and that extends to next fortnight.

Dogs are the real deal, had a taste, hungry for more, can play with form and still get the job done.

Blaming the Coach is disrespecting the opposition.

No one was going to beat the Dogs and that extends to next fortnight.

Dogs are the real deal, had a taste, hungry for more, can play with form and still get the job done.

Well I saw live Melbourne against Geelong - they were ruthless, chasing, tackling.

It will be a great Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's easy to say after they smashed you. With a more competitive opponent and/or a competent coach it could've been a different story. The Bulldogs are not unbeatable.
You had a competent Coach in 2017, you finished minor premier, still got smashed as slight favourite's.
Dogs fell out of the 4 but they didnt forget how to play clearly, far too much emphasis on ladder position, means nothing come finals time as
Bevo has shown before.
You only play as well as the opposition lets you, we couldnt get the ball in the first 5 minutes, game over.

Well I saw live Melbourne against Geelong - they were ruthless, chasing, tackling.

It will be a great Grand Final.
Cats are old, slow, home ground advantage makes them top 8 cloggers year after year, no match for fast hands and spread on a wide ground, Dogs different kettle of fish.

*bump*

I’m not being a sore winner but that wasn’t Ken’s finest hour:

- instructing his mids to stand off & tackle after the Dogs mids won first use. That has worked in regular season but with Stef Martin and a switched on midfield we ran right through them. Terrible tactic.

- the use of Schache and English to tag Allir , no response from Ken. Allir started to lose his composure early on and then Schache turned from defender into attacker.

- benching Drew for the first five minutes when he’d been so effective against Libba in the past. Asked about this post game Ken said ‘we always bench Drew for the first five minutes. Hmm. Then Drew engaged in snarling at Libba and pushing him off the ball. Drew is a fine midfielder in his own right and he wasted his energy being nasty to Libba

- Players simply not up for the fight. They were clearly rattled after 10 mins and the heads went down.
images (34).jpeg

You beat our C grade team by just 4 points only a month ago. You're not the top team you think you are.

there is no doubt Port Adelaide is not the greatest team to take to the park but let's discuss the issue with logic, reality and with some idea about football. By your logic the dees are s**t because they lost to the crows! The dees are a wonderful side, thus we can dismiss you logic

Port Adelaide had a remarkable season, especially given the injury management and the talent on offer, carving out enough wins to finish second. We aren't the second best side though, as the competition is compromised. We played 4 bottom 8 sides twice, giving us some easy wins. We did however knock off the tigers before they went to s**t, we knocked off the doggies in an impressive comeback and knocked off the cats by a margin.

Where we struggle is we lack a genuine KPD at full back and as a result Aliir's rebound is lost when he's forced to be the back up to McKenzie rather than the quarter back. Dixon's body is ruined and no longer has the ability to exert forward pressure or generate space away from his man. We also lack genuine pace in the centre square.

Port were the 4th or 5th best side this year, which reflects the 2021 season and finals as a whole.

I predict we will go backwards next year as our best players and too old and the youth coming through aren't coming on as expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back