NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Process Plan - https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...erms-of-Reference-and-Process-Plan-FINAL-.pdf

AFL Ends Investigation - 'Imperfect resolution' as Hawks probe ends, no one charged

DO NOT QUOTE THREADS FROM OTHER BOARDS

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyril Rioli a good shout for the most privileged person to ever exist

Born into a family name that is royalty in Australia, treated as a God in his younger years. Goes to one of the most expensive and exclusive private schools of all time on full scholarship without ever paying a cent, is treated like a God his whole time there as best player on the football team

Wins a premiership his first year in the AFL while having heavyweights like Bruce McVaney become his personal fan club. Quickly becomes the highest paid player at the Hawks. Wins another 3 premierships then retires with a mega 7 figure payout for "racism"

Geez we'd all like to die right now and be reincarnated as Cyril
Hard to know what the point of this post is.

You really should seek help though

Cheers. From what I believe several other APS schools came poaching Judd and he was locked away by Caulfield. That came from someone close to Judd at Caulfield. Out of interest, did you with my sprint coach, Neville Sillitoe?
I remember him. He was always trying to get me to sign up and go to that bloody school.

I remember him. He was always trying to get me to sign up and go to that bloody school.

Same here. I trained with him for years and ran for his club on Saturdays but despite multiple offers he couldn't get me to Caulfield Grammar. Most of my close mates went. I ended up helping him with coaching of Caulfield Grammar athletes and Chris Judd was one of the athletes in the squad.

Same here. I trained with him for years and ran for his club on Saturdays but despite multiple offers he couldn't get me to Caulfield Grammar. Most of my close mates went. I ended up helping him with coaching of Caulfield Grammar athletes and Chris Judd was one of the athletes in the squad.
EMH?

It's actually a conciliation session. An attempt to get everyone together, share their stories, or their version of events, so maybe everyone can reach some understanding. It goes both ways.

But I've seen from much of your posting on this subject, that you aren't particularly concerned by due processes and facts.

Keep grinding that axe.
It's not a concilliary session, it's about the accused answering to human rights breaches. If you want to pretend it's all friendly and thar there's nothing to see here ,you're dreaming.

It's not a concilliary session, it's about the accused answering to human rights breaches. If you want to pretend it's all friendly and thar there's nothing to see here ,you're dreaming.
The last two days have LITERALLY been conciliation sessions held by the human rights commission.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Publishing an article about this on the AFL’s website is a strange way to go about pretending it isn’t happening
I haven't seen any articles about it on the Herald-Sun or Fox or any other Murdoch owned media that I can see. But that's not surprising because we know what they're like. It's fair to say certain interests want to bury the story and pretend it's not happening.

The last two days have LITERALLY been conciliation sessions held by the human rights commission.
They are discussions, doesn't mean they will reach an agreement at all.
Only an admission and an apology will achieve that so it will probably go to the federal court .

"In short: Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt were accused by some former players of being involved in systemic racism at Hawthorn.
All three former coaches have strongly denied the allegations. They are meeting the players for the first time today since the allegations.
What's next? Should the talks at the Human Rights Commission break down, the case could end up at the Federal Court."
-ABC News

I haven't seen any articles about it on the Herald-Sun or Fox or any other Murdoch owned media that I can see. But that's not surprising because we know what they're like. It's fair to say certain interests want to bury the story and pretend it's not happening.

Gerard & Robbo talked about it on Monday or Tuesday on AFL360. Mentioned that it was happening etc. I'm not sure theres much more that could be said given it was before the event.

Is it confidential? Cant imagine we get much in the way of specifics? Maybe if it goes well, the parties release a statement(s).

I seen an article about how they "welcomed" the chance to finally tell their side of the story/meet with the aggrieved parties. Funny, given that they unsuccessfully tried to get their lawyers to block it from going ahead.

No, you're dead right... You know exactly what you're talking about

So well-informed.. :rolleyes:

Chris Fagan and Alastair Clarkson are due to appear at conciliation sessions at the Human Rights Commission this week.

Here's the legal definition of Conciliation, seeing as you don't even appear to know it means. :drunk::drunk::drunk::$:$:$

Conciliation is a form of dispute resolution and provides an opportunity for parties involved in a legal dispute to reach an agreement without the uncertainty, cost and time of a court hearing. It is the process usually adopted to try to resolve disputes in general federal law matters in the Court.

Read this and learn something...

Mediation commences between Indigenous former Hawks, Hawthorn staff​

Andrew Mathieson - March 28, 2024

Cyril Rioli confronted his former Hawthorn bosses Alastair Clarkson and Chris Fagan on Tuesday for the first time in more than five years at the Australian Human Rights Commission that continued mediation into Wednesday over systemic racism claims from its once Indigenous players.

Conciliation looks set to continue between the warring parties of former premiership coach Clarkson, general manager of football Fagan, and ex-Hawks staffer Jason Burt against ex-teammates and their partners, Rioli, wife Shannyn Ah-Sam-Rioli, Jermaine Miller-Lewis, wife Montanah Miller-Lewis, Carl Peterson as well as ex-Aboriginal liaison officer Leon Egan.

The players entered conciliation wanting apologies 18 months since the allegation were first made from the men and admissions that racist treatment of three players, their partners and an official on behalf of the players happened, which Clarkson, Fagan and Burt adamantly deny it previously took place.

Should mediation break down in Melbourne, both parties will be forced to head to the Federal court, while under oath, for a judge to listen to each of the specific allegations one by one to find a verdict and handle down any damages.

It would favour the Indigenous accusers should the case go to a trial in the Federal court.

The conciliation came about after the accusing players were unhappy with an internal AFL racism investigation failing to properly hear to their grievances, and decided to take their claims into the human rights commission arena.

"(The AFL, Hawthorn and Clarkson, Fagan and Burt) have made their choice, and we will bring them to the (Australian) Human Rights Commission conciliation to listen to the truths that they don't want to hear," Rioli, Peterson and Miller-Lewis said in a joint statement before the proceedings.

"And if they still won't listen and learn, then it will end up in the Federal court where we will tell our truths in the witness box. But they will hear us one way or another.

"We also believe that with the passing of time that the Hawthorn Football Club will acknowledge that our suffering and pain was real."

The face-to-face conciliation from the mediation concluded on Wednesday and it will now be handed over to the lawyers of the parties to find common ground over the coming weeks.

But what was said inside the Australian Human Rights Commission over the past two days and what the final outcome will be may not become public anytime soon, according to a tightlipped Fagan.

Fagan returned to Brisbane on Tuesday night to run training the next day ahead of Thursday night's blockbuster between Brisbane and Collingwood at the Gabba.

He was set to only appear on Tuesday while Clarkson was required to also spend the Wednesday with mediators at the Human Rights Commission.

"Conciliation continues (through lawyers)," Brisbane coach Chris Fagan told reporters on Wednesday.

"All of us that participated have agreed to keep everything pretty much in house.

"If there is a point in time where I can talk about it, I will.

"But for now, I've just got to let it be and let the process work.

"I've been doing that for a long time – it's been about 18 months, so I'm well practised.

"I just focus on what needs to be focused on at any given time. It hasn't been easy at times, but that's the way I've done it. I have had great support from the club, great support from my family, my wife has been brilliant … you need all that because there has been times when it's been pretty tough. I'm only human."

It is understood that after two days of mediation that the parties are "tracking in the right direction" and a resolution could be found within the next month.

Mediators have asked the parties to find a common ground where Clarkson, Fagan and Burt may well now say through cultural misunderstandings they didn't knowingly indulge in racism behaviour, but they apologise for their actions.

Going into the conciliation, Clarkson was not willing to make any form of concessions against the allegations levelled at him while in charge of the Hawks.

But North Melbourne president Dr Sonja Hood said the incumbent Kangaroos coach always wanted to confront his former players regardless of his stance of what happened.

"I'm just delighted that after 500 days or whatever it's been, Alastair (Clarkson) finally gets to hear directly from the people who have been hurt in this process," Hood told Melbourne ABC radio on Monday ahead of the conciliation.

"They need to have their say and I'm really pleased that he finally gets to have his."

Burt last year admitted the coaching staff, including himself, engaged in behaviour that had "overstepped the mark" and made him feel "uncomfortable" over attempts to split up a player and his partner's relationship.

The club's former welfare manager told Nine media he regretted an incident where he accompanied Clarkson and Fagan to one of the player's homes, but would not apologise as Burt did not attend a separate meeting that is alleged to have advised the wife of a different Indigenous player to terminate her pregnancy.

What is understood that despite Fagan nowadays coaches the Lions since the multiple alleged incidents occurred from 2008 until 2016, and Clarkson, into his second season taking on North Melbourne that Hawthorn chief executive Ashley Klein and club president Andy Gowers were present during proceedings.

Aside from the key apology from Clarkson, Fagan and Burt, the club is preparing to provide financial compensation that Hawthorn has set aside about $1.5 million in this year's budget for not only the Indigenous players, but even for the three defendants over damages to their own reputations in the football industry.

Last edited:
But North Melbourne president Dr Sonja Hood said the incumbent Kangaroos coach always wanted to confront his former players regardless of his stance of what happened.

"I'm just delighted that after 500 days or whatever it's been, Alastair (Clarkson) finally gets to hear directly from the people who have been hurt in this process," Hood told Melbourne ABC radio on Monday ahead of the conciliation.
This is, of course, after his lawyers failed in their bid to have it all thrown out.

No, you're dead right... You know exactly what you're talking about

So well-informed.. :rolleyes:

Here's the legal definition of Conciliation, seeing as you don't even appear to know it means. :drunk::drunk::drunk::$:$:$

Conciliation is a form of dispute resolution and provides an opportunity for parties involved in a legal dispute to reach an agreement without the uncertainty, cost and time of a court hearing. It is the process usually adopted to try to resolve disputes in general federal law matters in the Court.

Read this and learn something...

Mediation commences between Indigenous former Hawks, Hawthorn staff​

Andrew Mathieson - March 28, 2024

Cyril Rioli confronted his former Hawthorn bosses Alastair Clarkson and Chris Fagan on Tuesday for the first time in more than five years at the Australian Human Rights Commission that continued mediation into Wednesday over systemic racism claims from its once Indigenous players.

Conciliation looks set to continue between the warring parties of former premiership coach Clarkson, general manager of football Fagan, and ex-Hawks staffer Jason Burt against ex-teammates and their partners, Rioli, wife Shannyn Ah-Sam-Rioli, Jermaine Miller-Lewis, wife Montanah Miller-Lewis, Carl Peterson as well as ex-Aboriginal liaison officer Leon Egan.

The players entered conciliation wanting apologies 18 months since the allegation were first made from the men and admissions that racist treatment of three players, their partners and an official on behalf of the players happened, which Clarkson, Fagan and Burt adamantly deny it previously took place.

Should mediation break down in Melbourne, both parties will be forced to head to the Federal court, while under oath, for a judge to listen to each of the specific allegations one by one to find a verdict and handle down any damages.

It would favour the Indigenous accusers should the case go to a trial in the Federal court.

The conciliation came about after the accusing players were unhappy with an internal AFL racism investigation failing to properly hear to their grievances, and decided to take their claims into the human rights commission arena.

"(The AFL, Hawthorn and Clarkson, Fagan and Burt) have made their choice, and we will bring them to the (Australian) Human Rights Commission conciliation to listen to the truths that they don't want to hear," Rioli, Peterson and Miller-Lewis said in a joint statement before the proceedings.

"And if they still won't listen and learn, then it will end up in the Federal court where we will tell our truths in the witness box. But they will hear us one way or another.

"We also believe that with the passing of time that the Hawthorn Football Club will acknowledge that our suffering and pain was real."

The face-to-face conciliation from the mediation concluded on Wednesday and it will now be handed over to the lawyers of the parties to find common ground over the coming weeks.

But what was said inside the Australian Human Rights Commission over the past two days and what the final outcome will be may not become public anytime soon, according to a tightlipped Fagan.

Fagan returned to Brisbane on Tuesday night to run training the next day ahead of Thursday night's blockbuster between Brisbane and Collingwood at the Gabba.

He was set to only appear on Tuesday while Clarkson was required to also spend the Wednesday with mediators at the Human Rights Commission.

"Conciliation continues (through lawyers)," Brisbane coach Chris Fagan told reporters on Wednesday.

"All of us that participated have agreed to keep everything pretty much in house.

"If there is a point in time where I can talk about it, I will.

"But for now, I've just got to let it be and let the process work.

"I've been doing that for a long time – it's been about 18 months, so I'm well practised.

"I just focus on what needs to be focused on at any given time. It hasn't been easy at times, but that's the way I've done it. I have had great support from the club, great support from my family, my wife has been brilliant … you need all that because there has been times when it's been pretty tough. I'm only human."

It is understood that after two days of mediation that the parties are "tracking in the right direction" and a resolution could be found within the next month.

Mediators have asked the parties to find a common ground where Clarkson, Fagan and Burt may well now say through cultural misunderstandings they didn't knowingly indulge in racism behaviour, but they apologise for their actions.

Going into the conciliation, Clarkson was not willing to make any form of concessions against the allegations levelled at him while in charge of the Hawks.

"They need to have their say and I'm really pleased that he finally gets to have his."

Burt last year admitted the coaching staff, including himself, engaged in behaviour that had "overstepped the mark" and made him feel "uncomfortable" over attempts to split up a player and his partner's relationship.

The club's former welfare manager told Nine media he regretted an incident where he accompanied Clarkson and Fagan to one of the player's homes, but would not apologise as Burt did not attend a separate meeting that is alleged to have advised the wife of a different Indigenous player to terminate her pregnancy.

What is understood that despite Fagan nowadays coaches the Lions since the multiple alleged incidents occurred from 2008 until 2016, and Clarkson, into his second season taking on North Melbourne that Hawthorn chief executive Ashley Klein and club president Andy Gowers were present during proceedings.

Aside from the key apology from Clarkson, Fagan and Burt, the club is preparing to provide financial compensation that Hawthorn has set aside about $1.5 million in this year's budget for not only the Indigenous players, but even for the three defendants over damages to their own reputations in the football industry.
They are still 'warring parties' as you quoted. If they don't admit guilt and apologise it will go to the federal court.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back