Autopsy Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the ball is dead after the siren as soon as it touches anyone. It has to go though on the full or untouched. Doesn't it?

Point awarded correctly.

12.5.2 Football Touched in Transit
A Behind shall still be recorded under Law 12.5.1 if the football is touched in transit by another Player, provided the field Umpire is satisfied that the scoring of the Behind was not assisted by a Player from the same Team.

Point awarded correctly.

12.5.2 Football Touched in Transit
A Behind shall still be recorded under Law 12.5.1 if the football is touched in transit by another Player, provided the field Umpire is satisfied that the scoring of the Behind was not assisted by a Player from the same Team.
But the umpire's whistle had gone and the game was over. The ball was more than 9 metres out. No one on him, why wasn't it a free then?

But the umpire's whistle had gone and the game was over. The ball was more than 9 metres out. No one on him, why wasn't it a free then?

If the ball is still in the air it is live.

As soon as it bounces it just needs to be touched to be dead.

Interestingly the umpire has to decide if it is incidental or deliberate if a same team player knocks it theough (goal line hands knocking it vs outside goal square giving it a massive punch through) but for defenders I believe it just has to have been hit on the full to still be live.

I was too busy cheering to see how it all played out so have no opinion.

dunno if you're taking the piss...

The ball was kicked before the siren, so still 'live'. Play had ended though...besides which, you're allowed to deliberately spoil still.
He wasn't spoiling, he was on his own. The ball was kicked backwards to him from a team mate. The game ended the umpire blew time and then he punched it through the goals. The score was updated hours later to add the behind.

The free kick comment was very unusual from Clarko and I'm sure that social media is abuzz with The freekickhawthorn s**t after that

I'm really pleased that Clarko is taking this stand with the media. I know I'm being overly precious but I really don't think that enough kudos went the boys way after their premierships due to all the other bullshit that went on and for them to get the knives out and use them so viciously while leaving Sydney and north untouched really pissed me off and yes I know they have been far more competitive but a loss is a loss and north especially should be under the pump far more than Clarko and Buckley imo and Longmire should also be having questions asked of him

But enough of that - takes away from a good solid win
I think everyone expected north to be bottom 4 and they have been competitive this year (2 losses less than a goal), and there's always the don't talk down the swans policy otherwise it affects the growth areas. Sights will move to Buckley especially if the * win Anzac Day.

Hoping Clarko sticks with the same game style as we played yesterday, I can handle coughing up transition goals if we're strangling them more often than not. Was great to see some numbers in the forward 50, yesterday was the perfect match.

I thought the ball is dead after the siren as soon as it touches anyone. It has to go though on the full or untouched. Doesn't it?

If they're going to count that, why wasn't he pinged for deliberate?

EDIT: I see Grumbleguts has already made this point...

I didn't think Howe played well today, yet I have seen some positive reviews. Am I missing something?
yes but please keep playing him, he has the talent and just needs the experience to get accustomed to the pace of the level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup.
What's really killed me are all his half hearted efforts on the field through the first 4 games of the year, not to mention missed marks, poor disposal, lack of intent to man up, and general mopey-ness towards representing the jersey.

Made all the difference this week with his renewed attack on the ball and return to acceptable skill levels.

Now if only the rest of the team could follow Clarko's lead we might be ok.:drunk:

It almost like we've been training to get into it in round five

Its almost like were gambling that as long as you finish top 8 and in good shape, that the week of means any team can win

Ball was live. Play had ended.

If ball is still in air after a kick, ball can be deliberately put out of play.

<end transmission>
You still don't get it. If the ball was still alive and he deliberately punches it through from out side 9 m, under no pressure, it is supposed to be a free kick to west coast. He didn't smash it out of play he smashed it through the goals. eldorado see if you can explain it before "transmission ends." If the ball wasn't still alive because the player had punched it dead, why was the behind counted?

Hoping Clarko sticks with the same game style as we played yesterday, I can handle coughing up transition goals if we're strangling them more often than not. Was great to see some numbers in the forward 50, yesterday was the perfect match.

Reminds me a bit of 08. Plenty of games where sides had a lot of trouble moving the ball through "Clarko's Cluster" but when they could get into their forward 50 it was usually a goal.

You still don't get it. If the ball was still alive and he deliberately punches it through from out side 9 m, under no pressure, it is supposed to be a free kick to west coast. He didn't smash it out of play he smashed it through the goals. eldorado see if you can explain it before "transmission ends." If the ball wasn't still alive because the player had punched it dead, why was the behind counted?
You still don't get it. You are allowed to spoil a ball out of play, from anywhere, under any pressure. It won't (shouldn't!) get called deliberate.

The player hadn't punched it dead, it was still travelling from the kick.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but quite simply you are wrong.

(evidence to back me up here is the official score changing after the fact; long after the goal umpire also got it wrong).

Very happy hawk today after going to the game last night.

Positives:
O'Brien, Hardwick, Burton again, Big Boy playing out of his skin (this guy actually seems to bleed for this club), the older lads and our mid rangers stepping up (you could see it meant a lot to break the drought).

Negatives: Not a lot. Still make some big errors, so many easy goals to West Coast over the back. Will Langford........just frustrating the hell out of me

In regards to Langford, this guy has the potential to be anything, if he can just start to make better decisions and use the footy better. His tenacity and clearance winning ability is the best at the club, but by god you just wish he'd not get the footy at time.

I really felt the guys like Hodge, Roughie, sizzle, Burger etc etc invested a lot last night and when we got on top you could see it meant a heap to them. These are proud people who have copped a lot over a 4 week period where things haven't gone well. It meant a lot last night to play well and salute.

Our younger blokes really showed something too. O'Brien was very good, provided a target, worked his ass off around the ground/in the ruck, his hands looked good taking some great marks, and he kicked well for goal. Hardwick looking good, and reminds me of Dureya before he went off the rails. Could we finally have our Goo replacement? Burton, smooth as duck s**t, Howe struggled at times but 9 tackles shows an effort we need.

And finally Big Boy. This guy really seems to love the club and you could see the hurt last week when we got smacked. Stepped up again last night and his marking is back. Great to see from him

He may know longer be at our club but it was great to see Franklin kicking his 800th goal the same week Rough brought up his 500th goal.

Breust needs four goals to surpass Dixon and move into 12th spot.

1. Dunstall 1254 goals
2. Matthews 915
3. Hudson 727
4. Moncrieff 629
5. Franklin 580
6. Roughead 501
7. Peck 475
8. Brereton 427
9. Albiston 383
10. Tuck 320
11. Buckenara 293
12. Dixon 282
13. Breust 279
14. Rioli 272
15. Hyde 269
16. Gunston 256

This.

Despite the over the back goals we leaked in the first half, they were more psychological in effect than material. The Eagles scored two gifts from umpire #2, one gift from Hodge's clanger extraordinaire and two over the back.

Fact is that despite the tension, every WC goal was either a gift or a defensive breakdown. It was quite a defensive effort to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back