Preview Hawthorn versus Melbourne Nab Cup Round 3 Sat March 10th 5.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

WHERE AND WHEN: Etihad Stadium, Saturday March 10, 5.40pm AEST
LAST TIME: Hawthorn 20.12 (132) d Melbourne 12.6 (78), round 18, 2011, at the MCG.

THE FOUR POINTS

Melbourne

1. The Demons might just have the best rookie list going around. Dan Nicholson and Michael Evans have already shown a bit at AFL level, and mature-age recruits James Magner and Thomas Couch have been super in the NAB Cup. Evans is out indefinitely with a back injury, and since Melbourne has three senior upgrade spots available, the others could all be in line for a round one call up.

2. Potting Jack Watts has become so popular it's being considered as a demonstration sport at the London Olympics. Mick Malthouse would be the gold medal favourite. He thinks young Jack should be sent to the backline. Could we see Watts versus Buddy?

3. Mercifully, the Demons' injury list has been slashed to eight, after it peaked at 13 last week. One of the five to become available is Jack Trengove, who will make his captaincy debut on Saturday night. Trengove's co-captain Jack Grimes is still a week or two away with his shoulder injury.

4. It's hard to know where Melbourne stands in the competition pecking order this season. Some have them as top eight contenders, particularly after getting over Collingwood last week. Others think they'll be also-rans again. A win against highly fancied Hawthorn would convince a few critics.

Hawthorn
1. The Hawks will make the NAB Cup Grand Final if they win and either Adelaide or West Coast lose. But Alastair Clarkson says he's "none too fussed" about whether his team gets there or not. "The whole focus is about round one and preparing as well as we can," Clarkson said after last week's win over Greater Western Sydney.

2. Hawthorn has won its last 10 matches against Melbourne, counting two NAB Cup and eight home and away games dating back to round 8, 2006. A win on Saturday night will make it 11 straight.

3. Competition for spots in Hawthorn's early season line-up is fierce. All 22 of last year's beaten preliminary final team are fit, with players the calibre of Luke Breust, Cameron Bruce, Kyle Cheney, Xavier Ellis, Jack Gunston, Shane Savage and Clinton Young all desperate to break in. Add Stephen Gilham and Jarryd Roughead, who aren't too far away in their return from injury, and it's a good problem for Clarkson to have.

4. Recruit Jarrad Boumann might have also played himself into the selection mix. The mature-age key defender was impressive against the Giants, and looks the type of tall stopper the Hawks could use down back. The last two weeks of the NAB Cup will be crucial for the former Box Hill Hawk.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/18551/Default.aspx#fixtureid=7891&tab=Preview

Re: Hawthorn versus Melbourne Nab Cup Round 3

What is the go with Lowden. Was expecting to see him this preseason but thus far nothing. Is he injured?

This will be a good test for the young guys. Boumann needs to play I feel, he was good last week and now he needs to back it up against a much stronger side. Would also like to see Schneider and Wanganeen given another chance. I'd be happy for us to leave out some players like Buddy, Sewell and Mitch. Give Schoenmakers a chance to play as a forward, allow young midfielders to have a crack at the highest level and give them some really good experience. Not sure if the club is keen to win the NAB cup or not, I doubt it'd be a priority. The upside to winning is playing next week on a good surface I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Watts playing on Buddy at some stage. Would be a good learning experience for him and hopefully help Watts develop his game. He is the Schoenmakers of the Demons fans from what I have seen

Melbourne look like they are going to field a strong side so perhaps we may do the same. Looking forward to the game though, hopefully Gunston can snag a few and get his confidence up going towards the season proper

Collingwood were going through the motions last week so if we field a reasonably strong team we should win (though I thought that about Richmond!).

Want us to test Bouman out again so we can see what he has to offer against men.

Not much of a test, I say NAB cup gf will be the one to judge him.... :)

I'm assuming Henry lost a wager or some kind :p

I would also like to know what is happening with Lowden, I just cannot understand why we wouldn't even give him a run in the NAB unless he is injured. It's the perfect chance for him to get some top level experience, and we are all so excited to see how he goes. According to all accounts he is ahead of Grimley too, yet he is getting ruck time.

Does anyone know where the NAB final will be played?

I would have thought we'd prefer not to make it if we have to go to Perth or Adelaide.

Does anyone know where the NAB final will be played?

I would have thought we'd prefer not to make it if we have to go to Perth or Adelaide.

If we win & one of WC or Adelaide lose, we play the winner at either Patersons Stadium or AAMI depending on who wins and loses. So if WC win and Adelaide lose. We play WC in Perth. If Adelaide win and WC lose then we play Adelaide at AAMI, or if both WC and Adelaide lose this week we play the team that finishes higher on the ladder. So that game would then be at Etihad Stadium. I hope that helps. :)

NAB Cup 3rd Round Team

y no 6 Josh Gibson??

Round 3 pre-season team

3 Jordan Lewis
4 Matt Suckling
5 Sam Mitchell
10 Chance Bateman
11Clinton Young
12 Brad Sewell
13 Kyle Cheney
14 Grant Birchall
15 Luke Hodge
16 Isaac Smith
17Cameron Bruce
19 Jack Gunston
20 David Hale
21Shane Savage
22 Luke Breust
23 Lance Franklin
24 Ben Stratton
25 Ryan Schoenmakers
26 Liam Shiels
28 Paul Puopolo
29 Tom Murphy
30 Luke Lowden
31 Jarrad Boumann
32 Bradley Hill
33 Cyril Rioli
34 Jordan Kelly
37 Brendan Whitecross
38 Mitch Hallahan
39 Max Bailey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team Selected – Guns Return

Good to see Lowden and Hallahan!

3 Jordan Lewis
4 Matt Suckling
5 Sam Mitchell
10 Chance Bateman
11Clinton Young
12 Brad Sewell
13 Kyle Cheney
14 Grant Birchall
15 Luke Hodge
16 Isaac Smith
17Cameron Bruce
19 Jack Gunston
20 David Hale
21Shane Savage
22 Luke Breust
23 Lance Franklin
24 Ben Stratton
25 Ryan Schoenmakers
26 Liam Shiels
28 Paul Puopolo
29 Tom Murphy
30 Luke Lowden
31 Jarrad Boumann
32 Bradley Hill
33 Cyril Rioli
34 Jordan Kelly
37 Brendan Whitecross
38 Mitch Hallahan
39 Max Bailey

Team up on HFC website -

Round 3 pre-season team

3 Jordan Lewis
4 Matt Suckling
5 Sam Mitchell
10 Chance Bateman
11 Clinton Young
12 Brad Sewell
13 Kyle Cheney
14 Grant Birchall
15 Luke Hodge
16 Isaac Smith
17 Cameron Bruce
19 Jack Gunston
20 David Hale
21 Shane Savage
22 Luke Breust
23 Lance Franklin
24 Ben Stratton
25 Ryan Schoenmakers
26 Liam Shiels
28 Paul Puopolo
29 Tom Murphy
30 Luke Lowden
31 Jarrad Boumann
32 Bradley Hill
33 Cyril Rioli
34 Jordan Kelly
37 Brendan Whitecross
38 Mitch Hallahan
39 Max Bailey

Good to see Lowden and Hallahan get a go.

Edit: Snap Maybloom

Excited to see Hallahan and Lowden in the squad. Also good to see Kelly getting a run :)

Boumann in the squad suggests to me that the coaches are thinking a lot like a lot of guys on here. He may be a chance for round 1 if he can perform well and Gilham isn't ready

Interesting that Ellis is not playing. Would like to see him play and push for Selection in rd 1 with some consistent footy.

Will be very interested in seeing how our rucks perform against Jamar. Lowden may get a baptism of fire, would like to see him jump at the contest and jump hard.

Gibbo, would have made the decision that no match practice required and give Boumann a chance to perform and push for selection.

On a diff screen but assume that Gilham is not playing which I think rules him out of Rd1.

No X is a worry. He only played a half in Tassie so his build up has been low key to say the least.

Reckon we will have a go in the first half then run the bench out in the second.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back