Autopsy Heartbreaking loss V Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched Bevo's press conference and when asked about Macrae's career best form Bevo said he's been "good".

Jesus, he has been our most consistent player for over a year now and clearly the best this year and all he get's is "good".

Just watched Bevo's press conference and when asked about Macrae's career best form Bevo said he's been "good".

Jesus, he has been our most consistent player for over a year now and clearly the best this year and all he get's is "good".
I feel like with Bevo, publicly nobody is ever as good as ppl think, nobody is ever as bad as ppl think. Probably trying to deflect pressure off him, soon as a coach pumps a player up, media spotlight follows.

Make no mistake, Jacko would be given his positive re-enforcement behind closed doors.

I also thought that Bevo could have been a bit more fulsome in his praise of Macrae. His was a strange response to the question, which was the perfect entree to praise our best player this year...he didn't take it.

I feel like with Bevo, publicly nobody is ever as good as ppl think, nobody is ever as bad as ppl think. Probably trying to deflect pressure off him, soon as a coach pumps a player up, media spotlight follows.

Make no mistake, Jacko would be given his positive re-enforcement behind closed doors.
That's a good point and no doubt you are correct. I just think that Bevo took the lukewarm praise approach further than was necessary. As you said, Jack will be more interested in what the coach says to him behind closed doors.

Just watched the replay.

Pretty impressive game from us. I expected Sydney to win comfortably against us despite the fact that we looked to be in form after the Bombers game. This team is just so inexperienced and Sydney are a tough side who play very well at Etihad. The fact that we beat them in every aspect of the game apart from conversion was extremely promising. With such a young side and a lot of key players missing due to injury we shouldn't have even gotten close, but in the end Sydney were very lucky to snatch the game from us. I consider that match as a significant step in the right direction.

Overall I've been pretty impressed with our gameplan now that its actually working. Maintaining possession, moving the ball with short and fast kicks and taking a lot of uncontested marks. Our ball movement has looked very good over the last two weeks. Our big issue is currently conversion. I'm not sure if we can fix that in any way other than through personnel changes. If Tom Boyd finds some form he could help here as he will draw a lot of defenders and if he manages to clunk a few his set shots are generally reliable. At the moment the only player we have who is capable of kicking a bag is Dickson so I think at least one genuine tall forward (hopefully Boyd) and one more small who can kick bags (maybe Lipinski?) might help with our conversion rate. Our midfield and forward line are connecting better than they did last year. We are taking a lot more marks inside 50 than we did last year and we are getting decent looks, we just need the guy who is having the shot to finish off our work. Just a bit more polish and we will become a high scoring side.

Ed/Naughton: Another strong performance for Naughton. He set our expectations very high right off the bat. It might not have been his best game but when you consider how young he is it was pretty impressive. Ed played his worst game so far but he was up against tough opposition. I'd keep playing him to fast track his development because there's no doubt he will be a gun player.

English: Getting better every week. Really starting to make a name for himself. I was absolutely ecstatic that we got him at pick 18, I think a lot of sides will regret not taking him when they had the chance. Good list management to get him signed for 4 years straight away.

Williams: Another good performance. Probably his best two back to back games. He has really shown he belongs at the level. Great kick and seems to be in the right spot to take a lot of uncontested grabs in defense.

Dunkley: Poor conversion this week but his overhead marking for a medium sized player is very, very good. Gives us a genuine marking option to kick to in the forward line and he is handy in the middle too. I think he has cemented a spot in our best side.

Billy Gowers: I honestly think he is an upgrade on Stringer. Not much flashy stuff but he works hard, launches at the ball and is another very good overhead mark. His set shots aren't great but I feel like he converts enough of them that he's not a liability. His defensive pressure and physicality are miles ahead of Stringer so even if he doesn't kick that many goals I think he has more value to the team. Very honest player unlike the notoriously lazy Stringer.

Wallis: It's great having this guy back. He is playing some really good footy which we needed now that Libba is out for the season. He was our best midfielder in 2015 so we know what he's capable of. In a side of players who kick poorly for goal he is one of the few you can count on to convert when he gets a chance.

I loved seeing our players get physical with theirs at times. It shows that we are hungry and playing for each other. It was disappointing watching JJ getting knocked about last year and not getting enough backup from his team mates. I dont mind if it leads to a suspension now and then. I think as a young side its important to send the message that you won't be bullied. I also liked seeing some passion rather than the apathy we displayed in 2017. I'd love for us to develop a genuine rivarly with a club like Sydney.

Last edited:
While this has a bit of a 'one that got away' feeling about it, the positives of the team having a resurgence in their endeavour and being able to challenge a seemingly good team is still a big step up from the first two rounds.

Pretty happy with that. I wasn't so sure we could get that close. In the end probably should have won and hopefully that is the benchmark the team wants to play at. Also super happy with that game because it again shows how bloody good Bevo is, and how good we are when the players are singing from the hymn book.

Pretty happy with that. I wasn't so sure we could get that close. In the end probably should have won and hopefully that is the benchmark the team wants to play at. Also super happy with that game because it again shows how bloody good Bevo is, and how good we are when the players are singing from the hymn book.

Agreed. Bevo has been copping a lot of crap on this board since we started dropping off in 2017, but I'd be surprised if many coaches could get the results he has gotten from this list in the past two weeks. We have a lot of key injuries whilst also going through the growing pains of losing some of our leaders and having a pretty significant list overhaul. Its gonna take time for the team to build a real synergy with all the new faces in the side, especially given that a lot of them are so young. I'm more excited about our current list than I've ever been but its still in its infancy.

Last edited:
Agreed. Bevo has been copping a lot of crap on this board since we started dropping off in 2017, but I'd be surprised if many coaches could get the results he has gotten from this list in the past two weeks. We have a lot of key injuries whilst also going through the growing pains of losing some of our leaders and having a pretty significant list overhaul. Its gonna take time for the team to build a real synergy with all the new faces in the side, especially given that a lot of them are so young. I'm more excited about our current list than I've ever been but its still in its infancy.
Guilty as charged
Apologies to Bev
I see where he is headed
But Honey is simply not AFL standard

How ever much we are paying Bevo it's no enough.

You can see the players understand the game plan and are getting better at executing.

Compare us to SK, Carlton, Essendon and Melbourne who have loads of high drafted players but seem to have no idea when things get a bit tougher.

Reason why Hawks, Swans, Cats, Tigers are good is due to coaching not having a lot of high picks.

Our coach is as good as any of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disposals: +52
Kicks: +52
Handballs: Even
Frees: +13
Inside 50's: +18
Contested Possession: +3
Tackles: +9
Net Loss = 7 Points

Port Adelaide 2nds- 4 Goals, 4 Behinds = 28 points
Woodville/West Torrens 2nds- 2 Goals, 16 Behinds = 28 Points
Great draw that one, I know which side we are.

How ever much we are paying Bevo it's no enough.

You can see the players understand the game plan and are getting better at executing.

Compare us to SK, Carlton, Essendon and Melbourne who have loads of high drafted players but seem to have no idea when things get a bit tougher.

Reason why Hawks, Swans, Cats, Tigers are good is due to coaching not having a lot of high picks.

Our coach is as good as any of them.
Agree 100%, there is no doubt in my mind that without Bevo we would still be like the Saints, the Dees etc etc

We just need Dammo to admit what a fantastic coaching performance to get the players to kick to each other in the space of a week!

Coaches Votes Round 4. Dogs v Swans

Heeney (Syd) 8
Macrae (WB) 5
Naughton (WB) 4
Parker (Syd) 4
Rampe (Syd) 3
Franklin (Syd) 2
McLean (WB) 2
Suckling (WB) 1
Williams (WB) 1

9 players received votes. 5 Dogs and 4 Swans

I also thought that Bevo could have been a bit more fulsome in his praise of Macrae. His was a strange response to the question, which was the perfect entree to praise our best player this year...he didn't take it.
Interesting to note that Macrae received the maximum 5 votes from one coach and 0 from the other. I don't think it is difficult to work out the alignment with the coaches given Bev's post-match comments.

I don't think Macrae used the ball as well as he needed to in that second half, but given the above I think it's likely that he also went away from the game plan or contributed to some structural collapses. Macrae's a senior player now with high expectations on him. If I'm right, I don't mind Beveridge's comments - so long as there's more feedback behind the scenes (which there obviously will be).

Coaches Votes Round 4. Dogs v Swans

Heeney (Syd) 8
Macrae (WB) 5
Naughton (WB) 4
Parker (Syd) 4
Rampe (Syd) 3
Franklin (Syd) 2
McLean (WB) 2
Suckling (WB) 1
Williams (WB) 1

9 players received votes. 5 Dogs and 4 Swans

Weird votes

My guess at the split judging by Bevo’s PC praise for Naughton and BW

Bevo:
5 Heeney
4 Naughton
3 Rampe
2 McLean
1 Williams

Longmire:
5 Macrae
4 Parker
3 Heeney
2 Franklin
1 Suckling

Is there a chance Bevo doesn’t rate Macrae as much as we all do? Obviously he would rate him, but remember when we all had Jacko as our B&F last year but he finished a fair way behind Bont and JJ, who both had down years.

Interesting to note that Macrae received the maximum 5 votes from one coach and 0 from the other. I don't think it is difficult to work out the alignment with the coaches given Bev's post-match comments.

I don't think Macrae used the ball as well as he needed to in that second half, but given the above I think it's likely that he also went away from the game plan or contributed to some structural collapses. Macrae's a senior player now with high expectations on him. If I'm right, I don't mind Beveridge's comments - so long as there's more feedback behind the scenes (which there obviously will be).

Don’t you think it’s weird Dan, that under Bevo Macrae hasn’t had a top 3 in the B&F despite his consistency over the period?

Weird votes

My guess at the split judging by Bevo’s PC praise for Naughton and BW

Bevo:
5 Heeney
4 Naughton
3 Rampe
2 McLean
1 Williams

Longmire:
5 Macrae
4 Parker
3 Heeney
2 Franklin
1 Suckling
That was my breakdown too although Parker was very effective and could see Bevo giving him the 4 while Naughton was effective in helping to curb Buddy which may caught Longmire's eye. A 50/50

Is there a chance Bevo doesn’t rate Macrae as much as we all do? Obviously he would rate him, but remember when we all had Jacko as our B&F last year but he finished a fair way behind Bont and JJ, who both had down years.
I think he just marks Macrae harder in line with higher expectations - perhaps that might be motivating for Macrae and push him to greater things. A challenge he's almost certain to accept. He's very tough mentally.

Don’t you think it’s weird Dan, that under Bevo Macrae hasn’t had a top 3 in the B&F despite his consistency over the period?
He was third last year wasn't he? Just had a quick check and we didn't have him top 3 in the Ching in either 2015 or 2016 either.

Could be something in it, but I think it's more likely that, despite his outstanding consistency, he's not the #1 player on the field as often as others.

I don't think this means much. It probably reflects how far ahead of everyone else bont is. When he's having a down year, he's still having an outstanding year by anyone else's standards.

He was third last year wasn't he? Just had a quick check and we didn't have him top 3 in the Ching in either 2015 or 2016 either.

Could be something in it, but I think it's more likely that, despite his outstanding consistency, he's not the #1 player on the field as often as others.

I think its just his lack of x factor, which is the only thing stopping him from standing out from the so called elites. He could lead almost every midfield category in the league at years end and still not be mentioned in most peoples AA teams. He is just one of those very good players who goes about his job quietly without fuss. Doesn't have that wow factor a player like Bontempelli has that makes people go.... Did you see "that" on the weekend? How good was it?, etc. He gets involved in scores a lot, but you wouldn't notice it. Should be the player that opposition coaches target, and opposition fans sweat over the night before, but you hardly notice his impact, even though its well and truly there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back