Herald sun investigation into dees tanking saga

Remove this Banner Ad

have any of the players in the club at that time come out and talked about the tanking stuff? dont know what they would have been thinking, get to play at the highest level and then get told that they had to not try. imagine getting delisted at the end of the year from a club that tanked. you wouldnt know if it was a compliment or not cause if they wanted to lose surely they would just keep there s**t players and delist the ones that actually want to win.

"We can't afford to win more than four games. It would be irresponsible."

A very senior Melbourne person said that to a club employee, in 2009. How do I know? She told me.

Oooohhh aren't you a special, it's almost as if all of the staff at Melbourne weren't sacked, but thanks for the new information that no one was aware of.

have any of the players in the club at that time come out and talked about the tanking stuff? dont know what they would have been thinking, get to play at the highest level and then get told that they had to not try. imagine getting delisted at the end of the year from a club that tanked. you wouldnt know if it was a compliment or not cause if they wanted to lose surely they would just keep there s**t players and delist the ones that actually want to win.

The players weren't told to lose for * sake

Hopefully this all blows over soon, Dees are finally in a good position with good values and good leaders and are a solid squad, they dont need something irrelevant distracting them from playing quality football.

Hopefully this all blows over soon, Dees are finally in a good position with good values and good leaders and are a solid squad, they dont need something irrelevant distracting them from playing 0-2 football.

EFA

Players were never directed, it was all the wacky positional moves, players sent for surgery, use only 50 rotations v an awful Richmond and still need Jordon McMahon to prevent you from winning etc
YcpYzd3.jpg

The only thing this shows is how much a boys club the AFL is. Policing the clubs that bring in the money must be a difficult tight rope to walk and the key issue is that there was a significant upside for clubs near the bottom which was the AFL's own making. Melbourne were not on there own.

A bit like trying to sweep the supplements saga under the carpet early in the piece and thus it should be the afl getting reamed rather than Melbourne.

The question I have is ... Why now? What has happened to release this to the Hun?
My thoughts exactly. If it wasn't for the pesky WADA, they'd have gotten away with that one too.

Losing culture isn't just tanking, it's playing all of your draft picks to 'develop' them while your club accepts that it will lost some games. Geelong an Hawthorn don't do 5 year plans now at the bottom. They have a single season outside of the 8 an they have an inquest. That same attitude was not at our clubs.

They did have plans prior to their current runs of 12+ years at or near the top.

Hawks got their quicker than expected in 2008, but had to retool in 09/10 and from 2011 onwards only been outside top 4 in the home and away season once.

Cats had a reasonable build period from 99 draft until mid 00s.

Hawks had a few questionable defeats towards the end of 2005 as did the pies (both got priority picks).

Developing younger players is fine, ifs just that simply getting them and throwing them in without the right framework on or off the field won’t achieve results.

They weren’t told that. But probably got suspicious at wacky moves being made by Bailey and co which seemed counter productive to winning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"We can't afford to win more than four games. It would be irresponsible."

A very senior Melbourne person said that to a club employee, in 2009. How do I know? She told me.

Even if McMahon had missed, Melbourne would just have thrown the game against Freo two weeks later, instead of winning by 10 goals.

When they went back to 130+ rotations which were the standard of the day.

Not sure how they would of successfully lost to Freo, maybe getting 19 on the field and ordering a headcount themselves to wipe their score? (I think that was still a rule then)

There would have been dozens of people at clubs in the PP era who said something like that. Facts are any with an influential role at Melbourne are gone.
Maybe there would have been dozens of people at clubs in the PP era who said something like that. I only know of one, and I mentioned it to confirm to the person I was replying to that yes, it was a season-long plan.

And yes, the person who said it is gone.

My thoughts exactly. If it wasn't for the pesky WADA, they'd have gotten away with that one too.
Gil tried to cover that one up too. I really hope this is the beginning of the end for this corrupt piece of s**t.

They did have plans prior to their current runs of 12+ years at or near the top.

Hawks got their quicker than expected in 2008, but had to retool in 09/10 and from 2011 onwards only been outside top 4 in the home and away season once.

Cats had a reasonable build period from 99 draft until mid 00s.

Hawks had a few questionable defeats towards the end of 2005 as did the pies (both got priority picks).

Developing younger players is fine, ifs just that simply getting them and throwing them in without the right framework on or off the field won’t achieve results.

Yes WC dropped down to grab Natanui an then made top 4 the next season.
It just felt like at Melbourne an Carlton more than most the plan was play as many kids as possible and one day they will be 25.

Our club didn't change until Paul Roos came in and started trading for older blokes an making kids be better than them to get a game

Maybe there would have been dozens of people at clubs in the PP era who said something like that. I only know of one, and I mentioned it to confirm to the person I was replying to that yes, it was a season-long plan.

And yes, the person who said it is gone.

Gil tried to cover that one up too. I really hope this is the beginning of the end for this corrupt piece of s**t.
Precisely. A Kangaroo court to achieve their preferred end. Then CAS got to review their independent work .......

When they went back to 130+ rotations which were the standard of the day.

Not sure how they would of successfully lost to Freo, maybe getting 19 on the field and ordering a headcount themselves to wipe their score? (I think that was still a rule then)
They would have found a way, even if it meant Connolly personally kneecapping half the squad.

Yes WC dropped down to grab Natanui an then made top 4 the next season.
WC finished bottom 6 the year after drafting NicNat (although were on track for bottom 2-3 before I reckon the AFL had a word). They finished last the next year, the year we were "the worst team since Fitzroy", and nabbed Gaff. The Eagles were expert tankers. They could afford to do it financially, and got little scrutiny because the Perth media is on their side and the Vic media don't care.

They weren’t told that. But probably got suspicious at wacky moves being made by Bailey and co which seemed counter productive to winning
fair enough didnt know. but i reckon they would have for sure been sus about the whole thing

Those who ordered it should be dealt with in the courts for match fixing and corrupting the outcome of a sporting event.

Along with those at the AFL who covered it up.

The individuals, not the club. And not those who had to follow the orders under threat or inducement.

It needs to be taken out of the AFLs hands.

Gutter level journalism. Absolutely no need to have the mud from this saga dragged over the papers again.

You must have spent 2009 absolutely blazed. Good times I imagine.

I was actually lol

WC finished bottom 6 the year after drafting NicNat (although were on track for bottom 2-3 before I reckon the AFL had a word). They finished last the next year, the year we were "the worst team since Fitzroy", and nabbed Gaff. The Eagles were expert tankers. They could afford to do it financially, and got little scrutiny because the Perth media is on their side and the Vic media don't care.
Expert tankers that finished last when the first pick available was only #4.

And the year before when we could've taken #1 , we win 4 of our last 5 games because the AFL "had a word".

That's an interesting reality you're forming for yourself.

It amazes me to this day that the demons were found not guilty but they still punished people for it. This is up there with the Essendon saga as evidence that the AFL are corruptible and manipulate the landscape to suit what ever environment they want to construct.

Sad for the melbourne players and fans having to endure that culture and organisational bias for many years. Takes ages to get rid of a losing culture, just ask Richmond .

AFL heading right up there with FIFA and the IOC....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back