The Suns have set on Dew

Remove this Banner Ad

Name names then.
Evans, East and whoever else wields authority at the Gold Coast Suns. Just last week Evans was sprouting that Dew was their coach and contracted until 2024, of course, we all know what that really means. I am astonished that anyone could support Caro on this, she has targeted Stewart Dew all year and she must get her information from somebody high up at the Suns. Whatever the reason the Suns have for sacking their contracted coach, there definitely is a rat somewhere up at the Suns. Coaches get the sack all the time, rarely do you see the administrators get the blame for anything. The whole thing is bogus.

Scott took over a basket case in Essendon and will probably make finals. If Hardwick takes I can see him being successful very quickly I can see them just making the 8 next year.
Yep I can see Hardwick having the same the effect.

Suns also need to sack those in charge who extended Dews contract.

Soon as Brad was appointed the first thing he said to the players is to come back to pre season super fit also made it clear that if you dont defend you won't play

Hardwick should do the same set tough standards.

In 2019 they traded their 2020 priority pick (11), a pick that AFL handed as compensation to help with the rebuild + pick 64 for Geelong's pick 27.

Out of those two trades alone, Gold Coast has handed Geelong got pick 7, 11 and Bowes for pick 27.

Their recruiting and management is hopeless.
Gold Coast have done some staggeringly idiotic trades and recruitment over the past dozen years, the above trades are not an outlier in stupidity.

Someone with time on their hands might put the full list together for us to shake our heads at.

Dew takes the bullet though :-(

Fluff. There's too much fluff in football - Orator Mark Robinson 11/07/2023
He's right. Got his flaws Robbo, but calls it how it is and doesn't care if it's an unpopular view

Maybe he's less concerned these days about pissing anyone off given he almost died twice in the last 2 years.

Dew didn't look like he had confidence or leadership. another example of a great player not having the ability to coach.

They should have waited it out toward the end of the season. Suns just played the top two sides and they have nothing to gain by pulling the trigger early. Those board members are a bunch of liars after what they came out and said last week.

Gold Coast have a good young list but need another year or two to really come through.

Six years, fair enough given the following record.

2018 4-18 17th
2019 3-19 18th
2020 5-1-11 14th
2021 7-15 16th
2022 10-12 12th
2023 7-9* 13th*
Going off that trajectory GC make finals in 3 more seasons. Whoever they bring in would want to have the side in the top 8 either by next year or the following I guess.

Better headline: The Suns Have Gone Down on Dew
Me too, me too!!!

Big fat over-Dew SACKing on the Golden Coast!

Suns set on Buffet King’s demise!

Big Stuey Bit Off More Than He Can Chew Again, He Eats Too Much!!

(fyi I’m fat too so i don’t feel bad ripping into another porker)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hiring Hardwick now would be mistake. He is still cooked and I don't think he would be motivated enough to turn the Suns fortunes around. If he was hired, I wouldn't be surprised that he doesn't last his term.

Buckley on the other hand would be a better option if he is keen. Had plenty time to sit back and observe the game. Knows which support staff he would want to support him and has decent record for finals which the Suns would settle for. And he would be driven.

Otherwise roll the dice with another assistant.

Dew didn't look like he had confidence or leadership. another example of a great player not having the ability to coach.

They should have waited it out toward the end of the season. Suns just played the top two sides and they have nothing to gain by pulling the trigger early. Those board members are a bunch of liars after what they came out and said last week.

Gold Coast have a good young list but need another year or two to really come through.
Assistant coaches have to guaranteed contracts by August 1. If you wait until after the season you burden the new coach with a bunch of assistants he doesn't want. If you sack all the assistants the existing coach surely looks around and says 'what are you guys doing to me'.

Also can't blame them for the 'full support of the board' line. The reality is you can't be honest in that situation.

Stuart Dew won't be the only one being shown the door at the Gold Coast Suns. Expect to see more to follow between now and the end of the season. The President and the CEO could well be the next in line to face the firing squad.

What make the sacking even more bizarre is the fact that unlike their AFL team who have gone nowhere again, the Gold Coast VFL team is second on the VFL ladder just behind the Brisbane Lions and could well play in the VFL finals this year.

This is the right call, but the club is a failure and always will be. If Fremantle couldn't win a premiership in 27 years, from a football heartland, what hope do the Suns have in a city that has had a litany of failed sporting teams?

If I were Dimma, I wouldn't go near it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back