Analysis Hird or Thompson: Your decison

Hird or Thompson: Who should be senior coach in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, the end of the season is fast approaching and this is staring to become an issue once again.

So, for 2015 and beyond, who do you want to be senior coach of Essendon?

Beyond, that, what scenarios involving one, both or maybe either neither of them?

I think my decision is obvious, I'll explain it later.

Hird,

Bomber to stay on in either a development capacity or invent a position for him so he can do as much or as little as he pleases, as long as he's there.

May I suggest 'Junior Vice President of being a maddog'

Last edited:
Personally, I'd prefer Bomber to stay with Hird as an assistant before taking over - there's no way that will happen though. If the two year contract extension was formalised, it'll be Hird unless he is banned by the AFL.

James Hird.

I love, LOVE Bomber Thompson. I thanked him when I met him at the Players Sponsorship night, and bloody well meant it. He didn't have to stick around. By doing so, he's given continuity to our players. And **** ME DEAD can the man coach. The carving up of Port Adelaide was incredible. Put his stones on the line with Carlisle and geez - we look like we've got a player that can tear the arse out of a game leading from full forward. We also (finally) seem to have figured out our late season slides.

BUT James Hird was doing a damn good with this side. Up until the ASADA crap bit us in the arse last year, we were every bit a top four side - and certainly stronger than the Swans (who were rubbish).

It's pretty simple to me. If we have doped our players, both are gone.

If we have not (and I suspect thats exactly what we'll find), then Hird has been the victim of the biggest horseshit witchhunt in the games history, and I welcome him back not only with open arms, but a giant **** you to the entire industry.

I guess the "why cant we have both" meme isnt an option here, or is it.........?
Well, by definition you can't have two senior coaches, which is what the thread is specifically referring to.

You can if you wanted to its kinda like having joint captains.
I'd say it's significantly more tricky having two coaches of exactly equal standing than two players of exact equal standing. Doubt it'd happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being realistic and putting my neutral hat on...Bomber by a mile.

Look at player performance under him compared to Hird. We have not had the fadeouts mid season and looking to finish strong.

Looking at this thread makes me realise how lucky we are to have both these champions as part of our coaching crew.

Have loved having Bomber as our coach this year and don't want to lose him. He has handled this year out of time with aplomb.

Hmm, they are both champions of the club and one will be 'ditched'. Does that make us all Carlton supporters?

Not at all comparable. Bomber isn't contracted as senior coach in 2015, nor would his position as senior assistant be offered to another before him.

both.png

Players have signed on with either Hird as head coach or knowing Hird is contracted to return as head coach.

That tells me my answer.

It takes nothing away from what Bomber has achieved this year. Somehow my respect for a triple premiership player and premiership captain of our club, and a dual premiership coach who I respected during his time at Geelong, has grown.

No matter what happens at season's end we owe Bomber a huge debt of gratitude

Apparently there's a highly regarded VFL coach down Geelong way that could be the perfect person to take on the Senior Coaching position.

m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/scott-talks-up-knights-as-afl-coach-20130619-2oic0.html

Apparently there's a highly regarded VFL coach down Geelong way that could be the perfect person to take on the Senior Coaching position.

m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/scott-talks-up-knights-as-afl-coach-20130619-2oic0.html

I will smack you.

Obviously you know more about what's going on at the club than me, but what's the guarantee that Bomber will stick around once Hird is back?

There isn't, but that would be Bomber's call.

Hird was hired as coach, with Thompson the senior assistant. At the time, I'm sure there would be people who would've preferred Bomber as coach(considering his credentials), but Hird was chosen and most were happy with how it turned out. In fact, Hird would still be coach if he wasn't wrongly suspended, I don't see why he should lose his job for something that wasn't entirely his fault.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back