How do Victorians feel when an interstate team wins the Premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole interstate rivalry is dead. id rather see Collingwood win the flag than Port. on the day you have a team youd rather see win it over another if your team isn't playing.

I was in Adelaide for the Port-Hawthorn semi in 2001 and I was gobsmacked how many people wanted Hawthorn to win (or more accurately, wanted Port to lose).

I was in Adelaide for the Port-Hawthorn semi in 2001 and I was gobsmacked how many people wanted Hawthorn to win (or more accurately, wanted Port to lose).
Its cos of their fans mate, they are out of control when they win.. its great when they lose cos they are quiet.

That was a beautiful night back in 01 lol I remember it well.. I was only a young pup.. 18 years old and we were all watching the game at a 18th bday party.. a handful of port fans came in to the party after the game and I remember giving it to them haha

Most Victorians would prefer Brisbane or Sydney to win than an arch rival i.e. Collingwood, Carlton or Richmond.

I don't know one single Brisbane or Sydney supporter. I know heaps of Colllingwood, Carlton and Richmond supporters and they are still relentless about telling me how shite my club is. So of course I would prefer Sydney or Brisbane to win a flag. I think most people are the same.

Much prefer sydney or brissy to win a flag than collingwood, port, wce, hawthorn or the dawgs

You can add carlton, essendon, north, and Geelong to that list too

As long as they don't beat Hawthorn (or Melbourne who I have a soft spot for) I'm happy for them. Rivalries aside, does anyone care who wins if it's not them?

Don't care honestly, we're in the AFL. Interstate sides can and will win premierships. If they're the most deserving team at the final siren i'm not going to think different of them because they come from a different state

A few years back when both Freo and WCE were both looking good I was actually starting to look forward to the prospect of a Derby Grand final, was really disappointed when one or the other didn't make it, think it was the year of the Hawthorn v WCE grand final.

As such I have no problem with any of the other interstate teams in a grand final either, in fact if Adelaide make the grand final I'll probably be cheering for them, unless of course this Richmond team makes a miracle occur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've wondered how Victorians felt when Sydney or Brisbane win premierships. A lot of Canadians don't like it when a team from southern United States wins the Stanley Cup, because ice hockey is not very popular down there. Do Victorians feel something similar?
they think it's a conspiracy theory

Depends on which 'interstate' team we are talking about.
The way the Crows have behaved since the Tippet saga has been impeccable. No whinging at all - they just copped their whack and got on with it. Unlike Bombers and Blues who have done nothing but whinge and play the victim. So I would not be unhappy to see them win one. Back in the Graham Cornes days I couldnt stand them. But now they are one of the better clubs on and off field.
Eagles - cannot stand them - mainly because of the fans, ducking and obvious umpire favouritism.
GWS - well we have to get used to them winning flags.
Freo - I would love to see them win one.
Lions - I used to love the old 2001-2003 Lions sides.

The only 2 Melbourne teams that I would currently barrack for against an interstate side without hesitation are St Kilda and the Bulldogs.

Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Demons and North can get stuffed.

There are exceptions to this rule though as I would be conflicted if Adelaide, Eagles and Sydney are one of the Grand Finalists. Then it would depend on which team from Melbourne (apart from the Saints and Bulldogs) they're playing against.

In the case of a GF involving Adelaide/Eagles/Swans and the Demons/North, I'd get behind the Demons/North so it's not that straight forward.

My recent disdain for Adelaide has come about due to their fans classless antics in regards to Danger deciding to back home and the Eagles and Sydney are 2 interstate sides Geelong needs to square the ledge with.

Well an interstate side hasn't won a flag since 06 so can't remeber lol. ( I count swans as a Vic side still due to there south Melbourne connection)

Depends on which 'interstate' team we are talking about.
The way the Crows have behaved since the Tippet saga has been impeccable. No whinging at all - they just copped their whack and got on with it. Unlike Bombers and Blues who have done nothing but whinge and play the victim. So I would not be unhappy to see them win one. Back in the Graham Cornes days I couldnt stand them. But now they are one of the better clubs on and off field.
Eagles - cannot stand them - mainly because of the fans, ducking and obvious umpire favouritism.
GWS - well we have to get used to them winning flags.
Freo - I would love to see them win one.
Lions - I used to love the old 2001-2003 Lions sides.
Agree with most of the above.

Also loved watching Brisbane 2001-2003 perhaps because they beat Essendon and Collingwood. Also because Hawthorn was no threat at that time so it was just appreciating an awesome team of champion players doing their thing.

I must say most times an interstate (non victorian) team has played in a grand final I have barracked for them

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Same for me. Fact is I grew up around people who supported other Melbourne teams. So that's who I see as rivals and who wants any of there rivals to win a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back