How do Victorians feel when an interstate team wins the Premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
I've wondered how Victorians felt when Sydney or Brisbane win premierships. A lot of Canadians don't like it when a team from southern United States wins the Stanley Cup, because ice hockey is not very popular down there. Do Victorians feel something similar?

When Sydney and Brisbane won flags this century, most Victorians saw it as a positive (if they didn't beat their side in the GF) and a chance for the code to grow up north, at least at the time... the polish of the Lions 3-peat is pretty much a distant memory now in SEQ. The other aspect is that both clubs had Victorian links anyway (South Melbourne, Fitzroy).

The bitterness that does lie in all this is the concessions, extra draft picks etc. that are given to the northern state clubs, particularly to the recent additions of GWS and Gold Coast. GWS have taken advantage of those and are supposedly on the brink of a premiership window, which does upset many fans that they are being gifted a premiership... especially by fans of Victorian sides who have not had recent success who were kind of robbed of these benefits, such as Melbourne. Gold Coast are pretty much a basket case with other underlying issues.

Generally speaking, fear/hatred of non Victorian sides is only a media beat up, if anything. May have been a bit relevant in the early 90s when West Coast were the pioneers from out of state, appearing in 3 GFs for 2 flags... but these days, most Victorians feel that if their own side isn't good enough to win, they'd be content with a non Vic side getting over say a bitter cross city rival.

I will Always say that the 1990s was easily the best decade of Footy when it went from a state league to a national comp. As a non-vic fan, I liked Brisbane winning one flag. When the swans won a flag in 2005, it was good. I couldn't care about west coast but it wasn't just about the supporters who waited 70 years for the drought to be broken but the other fans that also lived in Sydney and supported them since their move back in 1982.

Its ususally good for a non vic side to win one especially against a Victorian side.

It's a national comp, and has been for 30 odd years.

Do feel however more could be done to celebrate leagues like the WAFL and SANFL considering the national league was built off the VFL.

I've wondered how Victorians felt when Sydney or Brisbane win premierships.

Victorian born and bred, as were my parents.

Fantastic when both win premierships. Have a soft spot for Sydney.

if we don't win it my feelings on the outcome of any GF are bordering on meh. just enjoy a great contest with no need to get invested in the result.

would love you heathens from down south to get a refresher course on what it is like when brisbane win a flag, there's just the small part we have to play in doing that for you, that part has been a small problem for us over the last dozen years.:(

Last edited:
If we aren't involved, as was the case for my entire life pre flag that wagged, I get around the interstate teams. More likely to value a Brisbane/Gold Coast win than Sydney, but plenty of time for them too. Freo in the mix. Port in the mix.

Rest I can't openly get around. Crows privately, but in 3020 we don't discuss such blasphemy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've wondered how Victorians felt when Sydney or Brisbane win premierships. A lot of Canadians don't like it when a team from southern United States wins the Stanley Cup, because ice hockey is not very popular down there. Do Victorians feel something similar?
Nope because I'd rather the premiership somewhere else rather than our rivals talking crap all year

As long as Carlton and Essendon (and maybe Richmond although I'm safe here and starting to feel sorry for them) don't win it, I don't really care.

The state thing has had no relevance to me at all.

I used to love the lions team when they threepeated, such a good team.
My dad and brothers are swans supporters so happy for them if Sydney win, except when they play hawthorn.

Really unless it's collingwood, Essendon or Sydney with buddy, I don't care who wins the flag

I suspect most Canadian fans would prefer an American team win the Stanley Cup over their 'local' rivals.

Always go for the non-VIC team in the grand final. Way less likely to encounter their smug beaming fans here in Melbourne for the next 12 months. Also have enough basic intelligence to realise Essendon probably won't pick up many new kid fans if another Victorian team is winning it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back