Roast How does Damian Barrett still have AFL Media accreditation?

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve stockpiled salary cap space for years and haven’t landed a big fish. You actually have to spend a certain percentage of the salary cap as a rule by the AFL.

This isn’t money that could be used to pay down debt. I’d rather have Hanners than to pay overs for some of our underperforming players in order to meet the minimum spend required.
Exactly.

Can't agree on this one mate, we won 4 games last we needed everyone on the park and to say we recruited someone that we knew had fitness concerns is not good enough, we had all the same rhetoric with freeman, I really hope our new Pres is asking questions about this

So doing a rebuild on 28 year old who has played 208 games No wonder we haven't played finals for 9 years

Can't agree on this one mate, we won 4 games last we needed everyone on the park and to say we recruited someone that we knew had fitness concerns is not good enough, we had all the same rhetoric with freeman, I really hope our new Pres is asking questions about this
And what about the experience and leadership he brings to a young playing list?

And are you saying we shouldn't trust our medical department who are confident they can get him right?

So doing a rebuild on 28 year old who has played 208 games No wonder we haven't played finals for 9 years

The Prez will form his opinion based on wins & losses. Every team has injuries. At least we aren’t Fremantle - Hogan, Bennell, Sylvia...FMD

We have to try and make deals like that work cos of Free Agency. We are massively behind the 8 ball when it comes to attracting elite talent from other Clubs. We throw out offers at theem, but they constantly choose other big clubs, so we are forced to try deals like the Hanners one, where we had no competition.

Sorry but getting Dean Kent doesnt make you a destination Club

And what about the experience and leadership he brings to a young playing list?

And are you saying we shouldn't trust our medical department who are confident they can get him right?
They were confident they could get Freeman right as well and if our list is that bad with leadership and experience we are happy to recruit a bloke who does not get on the park we should give it away it reflects very poorly on Geary - Seb & Richo (the great developer )

Let's hope Dan plays every game after round 6 for the next 4 years, But to say it does not matter - and to say Leadership and we have plenty of money is just making excuses up and a easy out

They were confident they could get Freeman right as well and if our list is that bad with leadership and experience we are happy to recruit a bloke who does not get on the park we should give it away it reflects very poorly on Geary - Seb & Richo (the great developer )

Let's hope Dan plays every game after round 6 for the next 4 years, But to say it does not matter - and to say Leadership and we have plenty of money is just making excuses up and a easy out
With Freeman it could be a case of his body just wasn't up to it. We can't work miracles. However I will say that Collingwood did him a complete disservice early in his career, they basically left him for dead and used the same techniques to get his hammies right. Once we took a look at him (the medical we did before we signed him) we told him we'd be able to use X,Y,Z techniques instead of just X & Y. For such a big and well financed club, Collingwood had absolutely no idea.

I hope Dan has a long career with us too. I didn't say his injury doesn't matter. It does. But he brings more than just playing football. And then there's the other problem in that maybe other players didn't want to come to us or the players available we had too many of.

Saying we had spare salary cap room doesn't wash with me. I'd rather they kept the money for re-signing players like Billings.

If Hanneberry was on $500k-$600k for 3 years it might have been worth the risk. But $800k for 4(5) years is absolutely irresponsible, I don't know how anyone can justify it especially on the back of the latest news.

On-field leadership is where Hannebery would excel, but he's got to be actually on the field to do that. He might be good at training but I have very good reasons to question his "off-field" qualities.

The deal never stacked up for mine, and it's looking worse as time rolls on. It may reverse itself one day but at the moment, IMO, it's a poor deal for the saints.

Also, if he's being rebuilt, he won't be training with the main group for a while either.

We have to try and make deals like that work cos of Free Agency. We are massively behind the 8 ball when it comes to attracting elite talent from other Clubs. We throw out offers at theem, but they constantly choose other big clubs, so we are forced to try deals like the Hanners one, where we had no competition.

Sorry but getting Dean Kent doesnt make you a destination Club
This exactly, AFL and AFLPA have created a two tier competition.
The top players OOC go to the power clubs

Look at Lynch to Richmond, Sheil to Essendon, Scully even tellibg us not to bother.
Easy to moan, ' why dont we get so and so' when they dont want to come to us.

Hanners wants to reinvent himself and give to a club in other ways than just on field, so he comes to a struggling little club.

Thats the way it is in our two tier system

This exactly, AFL and AFLPA have created a two tier competition.
The top players OOC go to the power clubs

Look at Lynch to Richmond, Sheil to Essendon, Scully even tellibg us not to bother.
Easy to moan, ' why dont we get so and so' when they dont want to come to us.

Hanners wants to reinvent himself and give to a club in other ways than just on field, so he comes to a struggling little club.

Thats the way it is in our two tier system

agree with 200%

it happened the moment Andy D checked out. he had the balls to stand up to clubs. Gill rolls over.

previously clubs got priority picks to rebuild. that got killed much to the delight of clubs like hawthorn, geelong and sydney who want to stay up the top forever.

next job, tick off on the expansion sides. it dilutes the draft and allowed them to raid the talent they stock piled.

finally, let the expansion clubs have a bunch of concessions that you can then make league wide. introduce free agency, because the clubs already at the top will always benefit. next allow an academy and zoned talent so you can then get your own by arguing that all clubs should have them.

we are returning to the 80s here season by season and ya wonder why we are suddenly struggling so badly again, compared to the 90s and 00s.

Last edited:
agree with 200%

it happened the moment Andy D checked out. he had the balls to stand up to clubs. Gill rolls over.

previously clubs got priority picks to rebuild. that got killed bunch to the delight of clubs like hawthorn, geelong and sydney who want to stay up the top forever.

next job, tick off on the expansion sides. it dilutes the draft and allowed them to raid the talent they stock piled.

finally, let the expansion clubs have a bunch of concessions that you can then make league wide. introduce free agency, cause the clubs already at the top will always benefit. next allow an academy and zoned talent so you can then get your own by arguing that all clubs should have them.

we are returning to the 80s here season by season and ya wonder why we are suddenly struggling so badly again, compared to the 90s and 00s.
I'm not so sure, we have no one but our self to blame for the position we are in. Club needs to take ownership of our position and work its butt off to get us out of it, its to easy to blame everyone else these days when things go wrong, we get a s**t load of money of the AFL more then most clubs get. Its up to us to be successful no more excuses

I'm not so sure, we have no one but our self to blame for the position we are in. Club needs to take ownership of our position and work its butt off to get us out of it, its to easy to blame everyone else these days when things go wrong, we get a s**t load of money of the AFL more then most clubs get. Its up to us to be successful no more excuses

good point and i agree, i just think the AFL needs to work towards uncompromising the draft and building more equalisation measures into the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree with 200%

previously clubs got priority picks to rebuild. that got killed bunch to the delight of clubs like hawthorn, geelong and sydney who want to stay up the top forever.

finally, let the expansion clubs have a bunch of concessions that you can then make league wide. introduce free agency, cause the clubs already at the top will always benefit. next allow an academy and zoned talent so you can then get your own by arguing that all clubs should have them.

insightful comments

Still nothing positive to say and couldn’t resist another dig at Lethers this morning. Sure we weren’t impressive but a lot of teams with far higher expectations than us were a lot less impressive. Just F off purple.
It’s going to be funny when Freo travel to GC this week and the Suns knock them off, after we cop it about only beating them by a point.

The narrative they absolutely suck isn’t right at all, they didn’t look like a TERRIBLE side to me yesterday, sure not top 8 but absolute dead last certainties?! Unsure on that.

It’s going to be funny when Freo travel to GC this week and the Suns knock them off, after we cop it about only beating them by a point.

The narrative they absolutely suck isn’t right at all, they didn’t look like a TERRIBLE side to me yesterday, sure not top 8 but absolute dead last certainties?! Unsure on that.
I agree. They're not as bad as people think.

B

Based off of yesterday there is no way anyone could sit there and argue that Essendon or North are better than the GC! Outside of believing in pre-season hype!

Based on how all 3 played it isn’t even a conversation.
Essendon worry me. There's no way they're that bad. Their GPS numbers shouldn't be that low. I think they tanked after the 1st qtr.

Essendon worry me. There's no way they're that bad. Their GPS numbers shouldn't be that low. I think they tanked after the 1st qtr.
I’m honestly not that worried about them, they have similar issues to us with having a few big men out, some players that have been good for them aren’t playing that well e.g. Tippa

Stringer has had a scan on his foot too and is at risk of missing the game. I’d expect us to also play better than we did this week.

Absolutely there ……..the Suns were way much better than I expected them to be...….going into yesterday's game,we were only basing them on their ladder finish last season.....we certainly didn't know how much better they may be this year.

I think my heart rate has only just returned to normal....that last 10 mins yesterday was absolute torture.

The melting around me was amazing......if the guy next to me said one more time "I think we're going to lose by a point".....they would be carrying him out on a stretcher instead of me.....I was absolutely spent when the siren went.

Gotta give it to the Saints....they certainly know how to give us "heart attack" last quarters...

LO.

Still writing about us. Still in his head. Good.
Shows the character of the guy and how Lethers comments must've deeply affected him. And I'm not even taking the piss, I'm dead serious. Very fragile for a grown man.

Absolutely there ……..the Suns were way much better than I expected them to be...….going into yesterday's game,we were only basing them on their ladder finish last season.....we certainly didn't know how much better they may be this year.

I think my heart rate has only just returned to normal....that last 10 mins yesterday was absolute torture.

The melting around me was amazing......if the guy next to me said one more time "I think we're going to lose by a point".....they would be carrying him out on a stretcher instead of me.....I was absolutely spent when the siren went.

Gotta give it to the Saints....they certainly know how to give us "heart attack" last quarters...

LO.
Completely agree mate, just based on the eye test, GC looked much improved and could be a pesky side for a few teams this year when they are on.

I’d love nothing more than them knocking off Freo next week, get everyone off our back about “you only beat GC by a point”

They busted their arses to beat us and nearly did, I think it was a game we needed early on, meant a lot to the team as well. Can’t wait for Saturday arvo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back