How the coalition can win the next Victorian election

Remove this Banner Ad

I think one way the Vic Libs can win is to beat Labor at their own game on public transport. If they offered a credible alternative plan for public transport investment to SRL, that was less expensive but still significant, and spread across more areas, they might convince people they're not the do-nothing party they have come to be seen as.

If I were writing this hypothetical transport policy, it'd include previous promises like the rail extension to Clyde, and electrification to Baxter, Wyndham Vale and Melton, but I'd also commit to introducing a serious uplift in public transport for Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo, in the form of reintroducing trams, or at least bus rapid transit.

I think one way the Vic Libs can win is to beat Labor at their own game on public transport. If they offered a credible alternative plan for public transport investment to SRL, that was less expensive but still significant, and spread across more areas, they might convince people they're not the do-nothing party they have come to be seen as.

If I were writing this hypothetical transport policy, it'd include previous promises like the rail extension to Clyde, and electrification to Baxter, Wyndham Vale and Melton, but I'd also commit to introducing a serious uplift in public transport for Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo, in the form of reintroducing trams, or at least bus rapid transit.

We have a credibility gap on PT. When the Libs made significant promises regarding regional PT at the 2018 election, the most common response from voters was "it'll never happen".

But as a matter of good policy, the Coalition should absolutely be promising the upgrades you have listed.

We have a credibility gap on PT. When the Libs made significant promises regarding regional PT at the 2018 election, the most common response from voters was "it'll never happen".

But as a matter of good policy, the Coalition should absolutely be promising the upgrades you have listed.
Indeed they do have a credibility gap. Tony Abbott's open contempt for public transport and Napthine's championing of East-West link over public transport projects did a lot of damage in that regard.

Is the promise you're referring to the one about European-style diesel trains to Geelong? If so, I don't blame the public for being skeptical, given the cost, and the recognition amongst many people that electric trains are superior to diesel for frequent operation.

Personally I thought SRL was also a bit of a fanciful policy, but Andrews at least had credibility on the issue and did actually follow through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back