Hunter forced to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Hunter forced to retire?

they said 'collingwood rookie'...assumedly its him with the neck problems....

sad story, poor bloke!!

Sounds Like he Broke his Neck,

So we are already down one Rookie Spot.

Reckon we should be able to Rookie someone else as we lost Hunter before the Season Started

Devastating news if true, heart goes out to the guy.
Showed a lot of promise in his time at the club, had the heart of an ox and continually threw himself into the contest with no regard for his own wellbeing. Looks like that toughness has ended up being his downfall. Such an innocuous incident that brought the finish for him though. Got me beat how the WC bloke who did it didn't get suspended though.

Best wishes to the guy, just hope the injury doesn't have any debilitating effects on his day to day life now that it has finished his footy career.

Shattering news for young Tom in true.:(

It was his second major neck injury, and although from what I have heard this second injury wasn't as severe as his first one, it seems two neck injuries is one too many.

Apparently the first injury to the neck actually compressed his spine, which when those words are mentioned makes you wince just hearing them.

I'm sure the club won't just "cut him loose", and will support him for some time to come, especially in regards to medical costs and needs.

I wish him well for his future.:)

That is really shattering

I thought Tommy would be in for a good year this year, ala JB last year, just love how he plays.

Although i am glad he is out before something serious (hoping that this isn't the case yet), being healthy and able to live after football is far far more important.

Wish you all the best Tommy!

It turns out it is a congenital condition and that he only found out about it because of his football injuries.

Can't ever play football again due to the risks of permanent and severe damage.

I wish him all the best in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It turns out it is a congenital condition and that he only found out about it because of his football injuries.

Can't ever play football again due to the risks of permanent and severe damage.

I wish him all the best in the future.

thanks mars

it sounds like all is well, its just his dream is gone. :(:(.
he has his health, he is clearly bright and above all, willing to stay involved, learn and make the most of the talents he possesses - and can use. it would be easy for the club to say 'sorry kid, but you are taking up room'. but it appears both parties are happy to continue the relationship at least while he's contracted, and possibly longer. considering the coaching talent at the club at present, he'd be advised that if he wants to stay in footy, coaching or whatever, to hang around as much as possible and learn from micks team of assistants, many of whom are likely destined for senior jobs in the future.

all the very best tom - and all being well your name is at the club for many years to come.

He has cervical canal stenosis, very likely at his age, an inherited condition, it was a blessing it was discovered after a minor knock...

http://www.precisionneurosurgery.com.au/html/conditions_cervicalstenosis.htm

He was clearly disappointed on that interview, but not shatttered...he knows. He knows he cannot play under any circumstances, and he also knows he dodged a fearful bullet.

http://www.precisionneurosurgery.com.au/html/conditions_cervicalstenosis.htm

Nice the club is looking after him, but no surprise there.

Thank god it didn't end differently

Bad news on the career, good news on the life.
If it's because of a congenital condition, he's probably lucky it was spotted early.

Sad end though, even to an infant career.

Devastating news for the young bloke. I wish him the best of luck in the future & I hope the club looks after him.

Sad news for Tom but I'm sure the club will look after him. I wonder if he can get a job within the club or perhaps even try out being an umpire or something along those lines. That's assuming he even wants to stay involved in the AFL. He'd probably find it easier than most to land a sports related job if that's what he was after too. All the best to him.

So it was the injury that helped find this condition out? Looks like every cloud has the silver lining, good luck to the guy in the future

It was.

Lucky this one was just a fairly minor knock, but, given his underlying condition, it was enough to cause sufficient symptoms which led to the MRI, which in turn discovered the problem.

A full on knock to the head, causing flexion of the neck (chin to chest direction) could very easily have resulted in permanent paralysis from the neck down.

Had never heard of the bloke until I popped in to see what your board was saying about our up-coming clash.

A lot of respect for the way he conducted himself in that interview, and a lot of respect for Collingwood as a club in the way they have handled the situation.

Always two ways to see a situation and it looks like Tom is viewing this as the blessing it surely is. Two working legs > football career, IMO.

:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back