Play Nice Hypothetical Pick 1 Trade Poll: Pick 1 for Picks 2 & 15 --- Pick 1 & F1 (WCE) for Picks 2 & 3 --- Something else?

What sort of trade do you think would be fair and/or likely when involving Pick 1 in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course, I will remind you all to review the rules of the trade board, in particular:
  • No trolling – in addition to the obvious, we have a ban on troll nicknames such as Norf, West Coke, etc similar to the main board, because this type of language is inflammatory and creates more issues than it solves. Keep it civilised or take it elsewhere, such as the Bay or your club board, or whoever will have you really
  • Don't be a pest – this includes derailing the thread with off-topic stuff, or trying to starve it of oxygen through proof by assertion/argument ad nauseam, aka filibustering
  • Personal attacks – should go without saying but stick to the point, no name calling, no insinuations about someone's intelligence, abilities or other attributes

What do eagles/demon/neutral fans think of the draft night trade of melbournes pick six for eagles future first?

Assuming Curtin is available.

That hinges on how prepared West Coast are to take a risk. There is a very real chance you're giving up pick 1 there.

Melbourne you'd think would be very happy to pull the trigger. They currently have a good draft hand but they're in the flag window now and no player they pick at 6 is going to move the needle significantly for them.

To have a top 4 pick and a very good chance at pick 1 would be of great appeal.

I am a big fan of bringing talent in earlier. So if the Eagles are aggressive and do go down this path I will applaud it, despite it being a massive risk. Yes they give up potentially pick 1 but the extra year of development into a top prospect can be invaluable.

Having said that the Eagles don't seem to be massive risk takers so it's hard to see them doing it.

I'm not sure where this idea that Mckercher is a flight risk comes from. When asked about the Tassie team in interviews he could barely have shown less interest. He is from Launceston, and like many kids his age, wants to get out. The new team will be based in Hobart, where there is slightly more for a cashed-up kid in his early twenties to do - but not much.
The AFL are going to help Tasmania, again, indirectly, go hard at Tasmanian talent. All things equal though, neither Reid or any of the Tassie boys would be flight risks

The AFL are going to help Tasmania, again, indirectly, go hard at Tasmanian talent. All things equal though, neither Reid or any of the Tassie boys would be flight risks
I grew up in Tassie, it's rare for young people to go back once they've left. Usually when they leave, it's for good, or they return when they're 40+.

All the ones I know who left and got steady jobs have never gone back.

Who are your best players that were injured?

Nic Nat, Yeo etc. Your older guys have been injured now for a couple of years. If you started rebuilding in 2021 as has been suggested here, why not put some of the 30 yr olds on the trade table (Yeo, Darling, Gaff) and hit the draft? You’ve got plenty of these guys and it’s not as if those mentioned have done anything on the field.

WCE are looking every bit as bad as North of 2 years ago. It’s looking like a very long road back for the Eagles.
A cautionary tale with teams that have had a long period success, therefore lack of early draft picks and an ageing list.

The average age of Collingwoods GF team was almost 28 years with only 2 players under 23 and 9 players over 30 at the start of the next season. A similar profile to Geelong the year before.

Cop a bad injury run like West Coast has had over the last few years and the descent can be pretty swift.

I grew up in Tassie, it's rare for young people to go back once they've left. Usually when they leave, it's for good, or they return when they're 40+.

All the ones I know who left and got steady jobs have never gone back.
A 7-8 million dollar contract and the lure of captaining the first Tassie team could be enough.

I think this is very true from a fan point of view.

But my gut says North want Reid as much as WCE want to sell him.
I'm confident a deal with be done before trade night, and everyone on here will feel like they lost :tearsofjoy:
My gut says the Eagles will be happy to draft him, but the hype around him and the interest shown primarily by Melbourne and Hawthorn opened up the possibility of a 'godfather deal' that's impossible to turn down for a team in a rebuild. So if the deal comes, they'll take it. But if it turns out no one is willing or has the capital to put up such a deal, then the better option is to take Reid.

That's not desperation, it's shrewdness.

A cautionary tale with teams that have had a long period success, therefore lack of early draft picks and an ageing list.

The average age of Collingwoods GF team was almost 28 years with only 2 players under 23 and 9 players over 30 at the start of the next season. A similar profile to Geelong the year before.

Cop a bad injury run like West Coast has had over the last few years and the descent can be pretty swift.
Agree with this, and the other angle is that most successful clubs attempt to jag one while they're in the window, and trade hard accordingly; Geelong pulled if off with the Cameron trade, your club's earlier effort with Tim Kelly, not so much.

Understandable, but costly

A 7-8 million dollar contract and the lure of captaining the first Tassie team could be enough.
I would suggest if Mckertcher is offered that at that time he would be near best player in AFL. If thats the case it makes more sense to take him now.

In 4 years time, that over 7/8 yrs would be plausible, awesome for him but not great for WC.
I see that. I think its similar to arguements of go home factors for Reid aswell. There is a risk there but do you base a draft strategy around that? Can only really go by players interview with the club i guess. I think we are going to see money factors and long contracts coming out next year specifically. JUH, English, Marshall and Mcdonald will all be offered big long contracts and that may be what pulls them away, not just go home factors.

I do agree Tassie would be crazy if he is even half decent not to throw serious money at him given 1. they will have it and 2. good news story to build team around

Umm, NN, Shuey, Yeo, McGovern, Ryan, Sheed, Barrass, etc. At one point we only had the Cat B rookies in the WAFL because everyone else was in the 23, or injured.

Because those guys aren't worth much in a trade and WCE would benefit more from having them around to guide the younger blokes. You can't just get rid of everyone and expect improvement.

We're yet to see a club be successful going down that route.

Nobody really cares if it takes longer as long as it's done properly.

It's not looking nearly as dire as North though, because WCE haven't drafted the same position 8 years in a row at the pointy end of the draft...

Its dire for North - have you looked at the "pointy" end of the draft for the Eagles the last 8 years??

2022 - 9 Gibney 14 Hewett
2021 - 14 Chesser
2020 -
2019 -
2018 -
2017 - 13 Jarrod Brander
2016 - 13 Daniel Venables
2015 -

You have 3 midfielders on your list from the last 8 years 0 key defenders, 0 key backs 0 rucks.

Tell us more about the Eagles not drafting players in the same position from the pointy end of the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um I’d pick North cause I’m a north supporter. Nah jokes, and from a financial pov he may be better being a franchise player at west coast.

But back to playing infront of crowds, if he is part of a successful team he will play in front of plenty. Afl players aren’t putting big crowds above premiership medallions.
Yep fair point about premierships, but when you are comparing 2 teams who are both 5 wins & 40 losses the past 2 season, premierships are a long way from consideration.. The only thing North has in favour of the Eagles is it’s in Vic. How important is that for a kid from Tongala?? He could live in Ascot Vale and be 10 minutes to Arden Street, or he could live in Cottesloe.. not a real hard choice I would imagine.

Its dire for North - have you looked at the "pointy" end of the draft for the Eagles the last 8 years??

2021 - 14 Chesser
2020 -
2019 -
2018 -
2017 - 13 Jarrod Brander
2015 -

You have 3 midfielders on your list from the last 8 years 0 key defenders, 0 key backs 0 rucks.

Tell us more about the Eagles not drafting players in the same position from the pointy end of the draft.
We weren't rebuilding.

We also took Allen the same year we took Brander.

Extend those picks out to 40 and take another look at it, for both sides.

You'll see that North's still in the same boat in regards to picking the same kind of player.

2021 - 14 Chesser
2020 -
2019 -
2018 -
2017 - 13 Jarrod Brander
2015 -

This is a bizarre post. We played finals each of these years except the last two.

We weren't rebuilding.

You'll see that North's still in the same boat in regards to picking the same kind of player.

By pointy end he meant the up until pick 40??

Not so so pointy meow.....

No, I'm telling you to look at the broader picture.

I thought I made that pretty clear.
Probably better off just copying and pasting that Brisbane blokes entire post here and passing it off as your own analysis at this point.

Or maybe just discuss hypotheticals about pick 1 rather than throwing out weird potshots at North.

We weren't rebuilding.

So top 40?
Roos - mcKay & Comben
WCE - Brander, Allen, Barnett

Yeah Eagles have a massive jump on talls.

Probably better off just copying and pasting that Brisbane blokes entire post here and passing it off as your own analysis at this point.

Or maybe just discuss hypotheticals about pick 1 rather than throwing out weird potshots at North.
Nah, I did one ages ago in another thread.

Boy was I shocked to see another had only taken what, 2(?) talls in the ND for the better part of a decade(Xerri/Comben).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back